Arc 1: Chapter 19: Search
353 0 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Arthur's a good kid; it's just that he misses his mother too much. Maybe, I shouldn't have told him so many stories about the sea. That way, he wouldn't keep wanting to head into the sea."

Tom Curry, Amnesty Bay's lighthouse keeper, was currently sitting on the couch holding a warm glass of tea.

He was looking at his son, who was playing with the house cat on the floor.

On both sides sat Merlin and Bruce as the guests.

"But in reality, there is no Atlantis, no undersea people, as it was all in his fantasy."

Tom smiled at Merlin; he had a hint of helplessness on his face. He then lowered his head and explained:

"Kids his age always like to think about random things."

"Then about his mother?"

Bruce asks with his tone lowered; the lighthouse keeper pauses and gently replies:

"Arthur's mother died upon giving birth, and she left five years ago."

"Are you saying that everything Arthur is saying is just fairy tales he just made up?"

Merlin asks again, to which Tom nods; he doesn't seem to want to continue this topic. But Merlin did not want to give up on the hope he had just found, so he asked cautiously:

'"This kid can call for the fishes' help. I even saw him summoning dangerous sharks and whales..."

Merlin lets out a breath and takes off his glasses:

"It's a rare ability, and I don't think everyone in the state of Maine has it. Mr. Tom, I'm sorry for worming out facts from your son, but I...as you can see, I need help."

"You, your eyes! Is it caused by magic?"

Tom was truly knowledgeable; he showed no fear, let alone surprise, upon seeing Merlin's eyes.

He looks at Merlin, who nods, and understands why he came.

A few seconds later, Tom shakes his head and puts down the teacup:

"I understand that meddling with supernatural events as a mortal can cause some serious consequences. But, I'm afraid I can't help you, Mr. Merlin, as you can see, I...am just someone who experienced a bit more than others do."

"But at least you have those experiences."

Merlin implores:

"Mr. Tom, what I had been through is making me exhausted. I no longer wish to return to my past life; I only wish to get rid of this misfortune and start a new life somewhere else. If you have similar experiences, then please...please help me!"

"If you have any worries or demands, then say the word!"

Bruce also speaks:

"I, too...will do my best to meet your demands."

Bruce and Merlin were friends who had experienced a disaster together, and he was about to leave North America; he hoped to see that Merlin rids his terrible fate before he left.

At least not use that painful self-harming way to suppress his misfortune.

The two young men's request makes Tom hesitate.

Moments later, Tom carries young Arthur, who's going to have his afternoon nap, into his room, and as he walks out, he tilts his head towards Merlin and Bruce:

"Let's talk outside."

A few minutes later, under the lighthouse, near the reefs close to the sea, Tom, who was wearing a coat, tells the two young men beside him:

"It was here, five years ago, where I found Arthur's mother. She was badly wounded, so I saved her; she stayed in the lighthouse ever since. At first, it was just mutual attraction, then we fell in love...yet we were forced to be separated after our most wonderful time."

The sea breeze blows against Tom's face and coat, in his eyes were unresolved pain; he then continues:

"Yes, I've seen Atlanna use magic. I know the undersea people of Atlantis had ocean sorcerers who specialized in magic warfare; I've seen them control tides, stir up storms and tsunamis, and that the sea was their greatest weapon. But unfortunately, that is all I know."

"Do you have a way to contact the undersea people?"

Merlin looks at the raging sea before him and asks again:

"Or perhaps where I can find them?"

Tom shakes his head and looks at the sea whose boundaries were as far as the eyes could see, and answers:

"No. 5 years ago, I should've died when the undersea people stormed the beach and took Atlanna, but she used her freedom in exchange for me and my son's survival. She didn't want us to get mixed up with the conflict between the seven undersea kingdoms; she also left no means of contacting those undersea people, but..."

Tom hesitates, he turns back and looks at Merlin's flickering eyes, and says:

"Maybe it's just me, but, these past few years, I've been getting the feeling that something else exists around these waters. After I graduated from university, I lived near the lighthouse; at first, I was researching underwater creatures, but then I met Atlanna and became the lighthouse keeper since I know most things about sea creatures here."

"Mr. Merlin, I can tell you that this area is not the resting place of sharks and whales, yet they're here. You know what I mean?"

"Yes."

Merlin nods:

"The food chain of all organisms in any environment should be stable, so a massive ecological change like this must have something pushing behind it. What you're saying is that there may be undersea people around these waters?"

"Yes."

Tom nods; he was concerned:

"There should be undersea people who came from Atlanna's home here, but I know not of their intentions. My life became insignificant the day Atlanna was taken from me, and my only concern is with me and Atlanna's son, young Arthur. If they came with ill intentions, I can't protect my son..."

Tom pauses, he turns back and points at the cliff bay on the other side of the lighthouse and tells Merlin:

"I wish not to hide this from you, Mr. Merlin. I saw a figure leap into the sea from that cliff at midnight, not just once either, so if you want to find anything related to the undersea people, it's best you start looking there. But be careful, not only because that cliff is 200 feet from the sea, but also because I've seen those fully armed undersea people..."

"They weren't exactly friendly with us surface dwellers."

"200 feet?"

Bruce shakes his head, and he looks to Merlin:

"Jumping into the sea from 200 feet without any protection will make you drown from the impact, even if you get lucky and not crash into a reef on your way down, that's not adventure; it's suicide, Merlin! Don't do it!"

"I know."

Merlin looks at the cliff bay, which seemed as if it had been cut by an invisible blade, the light in his eyes flickering, and says:

"But I have to try...I've been away from home for almost a year now, Bruce, this is the first time I've come so close to magic. I have to try; I must try!"

"Then take this."

Tom takes out a silver pendant from his pocket; the pendant has a trident-shaped signet at the end.

He looks at the pendant as if reminiscing the past and tells Merlin:

"This is one of the few items Atlanna had left Arthur with. It originates from Atlantis; if there are undersea people, this may save you from their hostility."

Tom holds Merlin's hands, and just as Merlin had implored him, he begs Merlin:

"I beg you as a father, Merlin. If you find the undersea people, if they come in peace, then ask on my behalf...is Atlanna, Arthur's mother, still alive...and whether or not I should let Arthur near the sea...I don't know, Arthur is gifted, he's different from me, but I don't know if this is a good thing for him or not."

"I will."

Merlin keeps the pendant and replies firmly:

"If I survive, I'll ask."

He then turns and looks at the concerned Bruce:

"But before that, one more thing. I have to see you off first, my friend."


"I don't understand; you should let me stay with you, at least let me prepare on the cliff. Two is often better than one; at least we can watch each other's backs."

With a backpack and baseball cap, Bruce stands on the harbor. Behind him was a freight about to set sail for Europe.

Tom Curry grew up in Amnesty Bay; he was familiar with the people at the harbor, within less than 20 minutes, he had helped Bruce find a ship. He even promised the captain that Bruce would work on the ship in exchange for bringing him to Europe.

Merlin holds young Arthur on his back, and toys with him, and replies:

"That's why I have to send you off, so you don't get an idea like that."

"I know you treat me as a friend, Bruce, so do I; this is why I don't want you getting into danger because of me. This is my adventure, and you heard what Tom had said, compared to us, the undersea people were like real supermen, not to mention their unfriendliness towards surface dwellers."

"Plus, if we do get in danger, I can still get away myself, but our chances would be too slim if you were with me."

"Gah, so you're treating me as a burden! How spiteful."

Bruce whacks Merlin on the chest while gritting his teeth, which causes young Arthur on Merlin's back to chuckle. Bruce takes out a piece of candy and stuffs it into Arthur's hand; he then presses down his cap and asks again:

"Regardless of what happens, Merlin, stay alive, okay? I'll help search for records on magic in Europe for you; since their history is older, I believe that I'll find something there."

"Oh, quit it, Bruce, are you scared that I might suicide in despair?"

Merlin takes out a cigar and lights it; he tells Bruce:

"I've been through such a horrible nightmare; what more in this world could knock me down? Stay in contact, Bruce, when we come back to North America, if I'm still alive then...let's gather for a drink!"

"Cut it! A guy like you won't die so easily."

Bruce reaches out and pats Merlin's shoulder, and he stuffs something into his hand:

"Stay alive! And wait for me. If you find yourself in trouble bigger than you can handle, use this to call Alfred, he'll help you out. Just...don't tell him about my whereabouts, got it?"

Merlin looked down; in his hand was a slip with a number written on it.

He keeps the slip and looks at Bruce firmly; he extends his hand to him and says:

"You too. No matter where you are, no matter what you encounter, don't forget why Bruce Wayne began this journey."

"When the darkness tempts you, always remember who you are, I know you can do it, Bruce; you're destined for great things, I can feel it."

Bruce grabs Merlin's hand, without doubt, and looks at Merlin, emotions flow in his eyes, and says:

"Is your opinion of me that high? Then let me ask you this, what should I do when the darkness whispers to me?"

Merlin shrugs and replies:

"You should give it a good slap!"

"Hahaha"

The two laugh together, and moments later, Merlin helps Bruce with his luggage and sees him off.

On the harbor, while holding young Arthur's hand, with Tom by his side, they wave Bruce goodbye; Merlin watches the freight leave as he sends off the first best friend he had ever made away from shore.

The ship slowly disappears from Merlin's eyes; he looks back as his final worry is gone.

He takes a deep breath and looks at Tom:

"I don't wanna wait; let's do it tonight."

"But before that...could you teach me how to dive?"

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

10