Arc 2: Chapter 16: Fury’s Call
205 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rabid Morris is a half-demon!

Merlin had his assumptions, but when facing the heavy and burning presence of Morris was Merlin truly sure.

Morris was a real Demon Son.

And he and Merlin were two different extremes. Merlin had been restraining the corrosion of the dark mana to his body and tried to preserve his reason as a human and purity of soul; Morris did the opposite, he let the mana corrupt him and actively took the dark powers for himself.

As Morris stuck out his head, Merlin could clearly see that Morris' pupils have become burning flames, and on his bald head were horns similar to demon scales.

His lumpy body was not due to fatness, it was because of the muscles being over-enhanced from the dark mana, causing his body to become distorted.

Morris was losing his humanity.

Half-demon transformation first begins from the soul, once demonization appears on the body, it means that the soul has been fully transformed. Once his body becomes fully distorted by the dark powers, Morris would gain true half-demon form.

No longer human, and not entirely demon.

It was the worst assimilation between two races, a real monster was soon to be born.

"Shwaa"

As he and Morris looked at each other, Merlin instinctively grabs the combat knife on his waist, he was prepared to make his last stand.

However, Morris acted like he didn't see him, the bald man overlooks Merlin's position and looks around, he had a confused expression.

He didn't see Merlin! He did not discover Merlin under the Shadow Cloak!

A chance!

As Morris turned his head, Merlin swiftly speeds out of the fourth floor from the open window and storms out of Cerberus' main base.

Merlin from 2 years ago may have been rash, but after experiencing so much, he has learned to be cautious.

He still did not know of Morris' ins and outs, nor does he know of his background, he had very little chance of victory if he went at war with him rashly.

Defective half-demons made by Morris could withstand bullets and explosions, so Morris himself must be even more powerful; against a half-demon like so, Merlin had to make full preparations.

At least, until he finds some way to effectively deal with demons.

A few minutes later, Merlin returns to his car.

He picks up his brick phone with a bad expression and dials a number, moments later, the call connects. Nick Fury's voice resounds from the phone:

"Were you busy?"

"I was this close to getting killed by you, Fury."

Merlin says with an irritable tone:

"I was collecting information on a dangerous half-demon, the message you sent almost got me exposed."

As he spoke, an idea flashes in Merlin's mind. He ponders for a moment, then he tells Fury tentatively:

"Then again, Fury, I discovered some things. The half-demon I was tracking just now was mass-transforming normal denizens in Manhattan, turning them into monsters in a cruel way, I think that it's planning something dangerous."

"I heard you say that the SSR has a master that specializes in dealing with supernatural events, right? Can you get him to help and cooperate with me in dealing with this dangerous half-demon?"

"Not now."

Fury replies awkwardly:

"Keller has been tracking our secrets ever since he was appointed. I've sent the master to Europe to take temporary shelter, if he comes back now, it's easy for Keller to catch on."

"The Incompetent again?"

Disdain flashes in Merlin's eyes as he says:

"Can't we just deal with that incompetent and troublesome bastard? Get Barton to ambush him and finish him off with an arrow."

 "Then?"

Fury was slightly helpless as he says:

"Finish Keller off and the people behind him will send another, probably even harder to deal with than Keller himself. And there are too many drawbacks to a political assassination."

"Let's stop talking about Keller, his presence is simply an optional trouble; come to my safe house immediately, Merlin, something has happened, something important."

"I need your powers."

"Alright, I'll be there in 20."

Hearing Fury's solemn tone, Merlin did not hesitate as he turned his car and headed towards Fury's safe house in Brooklynn.

20 minutes later, Merlin arrives in an aged residential area, he parks his car in the underground parking lot, takes the elevator to the 7th floor; he looks around and checks for Fury's presence in the room, then he knocks on the door.

3 rhythmic knocks, 2 quick knocks, then 4 rhythmic knocks.

Although it was already 1992, the primitive yet effective cipher was still widely used by agents.

"Pa"

The door opens, Fury looks at Merlin, nods at him, and gestures for him to enter.

Merlin walks into the living room, it would appear that he was the last one to arrive, as the living room was full of people.

There was agent Barton, agent Victoria Hand, a middle-aged man with a fierce presence sitting on the sofa and smoking a cigar.

Lastly was someone Merlin did not think he would see.

Black Widow Natasha Romanoff, who was 'invited' to the SSR a month ago.

She was leaning by the window, clearly not in the same circle as the other three. And as she saw Merlin walk into the room, Natasha secretly blinks at him as if she was greeting him.

"Let me introduce you to them, Merlin."

Fury closes the door, turns around, and tells Merlin:

"You've already met agent Hand, the man next to her is senior agent supervisor of the European branch, Joh Garrett, an excellent agent recruited by Miss Carter herself; he just flew to New York from the European branch to assist us."

"Hello."

Merlin friendlily nods at the senior agent, the latter examines Merlin with a sharp gaze and cigar in his mouth, moments later, he turns to look at Fury and says:

"Everyone else is good. Whether it's you, or Hand, you're both my old friends so I'm assured of your abilities. I've heard of Barton and Natasha's capabilities before, so I'm not that worried about them. But this kid..."

"Fury, you sure you want to let him in with the operation? Even counting his time in the academy, it's been less than a year since he became an agent."

John Garrett looks at Fury and says in a solemn tone:

"This isn't a game or some bloody test...we're going on a battlefield for real this time. You're better off calling Felix or Weaver."

"Felix is in North Africa right now, and agent Weaver is undergoing a shady mission. I don't have much of a choice, Garrett."

Fury shakes his head and tells the others:

"Relax, people. I assure you that Merlin won't drag us down. I plan on letting him do the most crucial part of our operation!"

"I agree!"

The silent Hawkeye Barton nods in agreement with Fury's proposal. Black Widow Natasha, who was on the side, flicks her finger and says gently:

"Mmm, indeed, there is no better person than Merlin to rescue a hostage."

"Hey, wait!"

Merlin was still clueless about the situation, he looks at the people in front of him, raises his hand, and interrupts their discussion, he looks back at Fury and asks:

"So what's going on? Why did this cold cowboy say that we're going on a battlefield? Did you call me here to take me to war?"

"That's pretty much it, Merlin."

Agent Victoria Hand presses her glasses and explains to Merlin in a rational tone:

"We just received news that there has been a riot in the South American country Panama, a group of rebels invaded the embassy and currently holds multiple hostages, we need to rescue those hostages in the fastest time possible."

"Why us?"

Merlin asks again:

"Shouldn't there to people specialized in dealing with these kinds of incidents?"

"Because Pierce is one of those hostages.

Fury had a solemn and heavy tone.

"Pierce? Isn't he our..."

Merlin looks back at Fury, the latter nods and gently says:

"Our backstage supporter in the World Security Council, as well as SSR's previous leader; this incident isn't as simple as it seems."

"Poor Pierce had just landed in Panama and was about to engage in a summit meeting. And a riot breaks out in the capital in less than an hour. Those bloody rebels didn't attack the parliament building, they didn't even take over the communications tower either; they stormed directly at the embassy and caught Pierce by surprise."

John Garrett takes the cigar from his mouth and lets out a meaningful smile, then he says:

"It would seem like the people behind Keller are no longer planning to wait. They're going to chop off our mainstay and kick us out once and for all."

"Indeed."

Fury reaches out his hand and puts it on Merlin's shoulder, he continues:

"If Pierce is killed by 'rebels', then we will permanently lose our chance to retake the SSR. Without Pierce standing the stage for us in the WSC, Kekler and the hyenas behind him will eat us up completely."

"Merlin, there's no time for you to prepare. We have to head for Panama right now and solve the incident before dawn."

Fury tells Merlin:

"We will be responsible for breaking into the embassy and attracting their attention. You, on the other hand, will storm into the embassy basement and save Pierce along with all the other hostages, any problems?"

"No problem."

Merlin shrugs, he turns back and glances at the 5 people in the room, lowers his voice, and tells Fury:

"Are the times this bad? Needing commanders like you to fight on the battlefield? What about the men under you?"

"Keller is still the director in name, he'll notice our movements even if we take agents from the European branch."

Fury lightly explains:

"Keller may be incompetent, but he's good at messing things up."

"If he realizes that we're going to rescue Pierce, then maybe Pierce would be dead before we arrive. News of Pierce's capture has yet to be officially released to the Congress, Miss Carter pulled some strings to temporarily lock the news."

"Not only do we have to save pierce, but we also have to maintain his dignity, as well as his position in the WSC, the last part is very important."

As Fury finishes, the old cowboy-like agent Garrett stands like, walks behind Merlin, and with a playful tone, tells Merlin:

"And now, this important task is on your shoulders. Agent Merlin, if you fail, then we will have a very dark future ahead of us."

Merlin was not worried about that, he was confused about something else.

He tells Fury and Garrett:

"If it's just to save people, can't I do it solo? Moving solo is more convenient and faster."

This question made agent Garrett let out an uneasy expression, Fury also had an odd expression, so he coughed and explained:

"You can't do this by yourself, Merlin, trust me. You'll need the backup, most importantly, you won't be able to cover the evacuation of so many wounded."

"And these old foxes won't let you take all the credit by yourself."

A soft voice resounds. Black Widow Natasha leans against the window, she crosses her arms and explains to Merlin:

"Think about it, little Merlin. Our officers leading us, through a lethal situation, beyond borders into enemy lines, to save our endangered boss from the edge of hell."

"This is a saving grace!"

"As long as Pierce steadies his position in the WSC, then the future career path of our Officer Fury and Officer Garrett will be a bright one."

It was now that Merlin truly understood why so many people had to participate in a rescue mission he could do alone.

He shrugs and stays silent.

The people standing here are indeed a bunch of old foxes.

But it doesn't matter, the important thing is that these people are standing with him.

 

7