Arc 2: Chapter 35: Night Hunt
169 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Bam"

Constantine with his body bound by chains twists his body with all his might as he fell, dropping inches near the edge of the pit of fire and avoiding a fiery doom.

He rolls around the ground like a worm, the chains colliding with each other; a few seconds later, Constantine frees himself.

The messy man could not care about the half-demon 'brothers' brawl in front of him, he jumps up and rushes towards agent Sitwell, whose hair was still burning, and frees him from the chains.

Constantine tries to put out Sitwell's burning hair, but the fire was no ordinary fire, and it needed to be put out through special means. In this critical hour, Constantine could only carry Sitwell towards Merlin.

"Ow"

Rabid Morris roared as he raised his claw, heavily smashing it towards the prisoners, but as it lands, Merlin flicks his wrist.

Following a flash of crimson red light, a Reducto accurately smashes onto its large claws, the powerful force of the impact knocks Morris' large body backward, allowing Constantine and Sitwell to escape its clutches.

"I didn't sell you out!"

Constantine rushes to Merlin's side, grabs his hand, and spoke with sincerity:

"Neither of us sold you out! We've been interrogated and tortured, but we endured all of it because we're friends! I knew you'd come to our rescue!"

"Mmm, of course, we're friends, 'best friends' worth 500 dollars."

Merlin glances at Sitwell's burning hair and lightly flicks Lola, water pours out of nowhere and puts out the fire on Sitwell's head; he glances at Constantine and says:

"We'll talk about this later, take Sitwell and get out of here for now!"

"There are converted half-demons everywhere outside!"

Constantine shakes his head and says:

"Let's go together, it's not that I'm afraid, it's just that we're friends, and friends should look after each other, leaving you behind is..."

"Someone will provide cover outside!"

Alright! Us staying here will just be a nuisance, I'm getting Sitwell out now! Stay strong, Merlin!"

Constantine carries the unconscious Sitwell and runs out of the warehouse, his shouting could be heard:

"Wait for us! We'll find backup!"

"Roar!"

Just as Constantine rushed out of the underground warehouse, Morris who was knocked back by Reducto lets out a roar; the half-demon jumps up from the ground like a monkey, puts its fists together, and smashes towards Merlin.

Merlin did not dodge, just as the half-demon landed, Merlin's figure dissipates like black fog.

As the black fog spread out, Merlin's low voice resounds in the underground warehouse:

"Now, it's just you and me."

"Morris, be a good boy, and let me put you to rest."


Outside the harbor, on top of the dispatch tower of the parking lot; Fury with his sunglasses was lying by the edge of the tower in a standard crawling position.

He held the sniper rifle with his gloved hands with the aiming sight open, but Fury did not turn on the night vision.

Because Fury didn't need it.

The sunglasses he wore gave him a broad view similar to daytime, which gave him the ability to observe the wandering people on the harbor in the darkest night.

They look like harbor workers, but Fury knew that they were not.

Their weird zombie-like walking posture gave out their identities.

Those were defect half-demons who were mind-controlled after coming in contact with demonic powers.

Something very dangerous to normal people.

A year ago, Director Kohler collaborated with NYPD to make a root-out attack on Cerberus' organization in Hell's Kitchen, destroying their base on the spot, yet they couldn't capture all the core members of Cerberus on that day.

After Rabid Morris left from the police's raid, this cunning yet savage half-demon gathered its subordinates who were lucky enough to evade capture in the darkness.

Fury had heard from Merlin, even experience the dangers of the defects during his raid in Hell's Kitchen.

After killing the shapeshifter that tried to attack him, the over-40-years-old Fury, an experienced soldier who participated in the Vietnam War and countless smaller campaigns, had one foot into the world of irregulars.

He moves his muzzle as he quietly observes the patrol routes of the half-demons in the harbor, he was going to provide covering fire for Merlin, even clear out a path of evacuation for him when necessary.

"Beep"

A beeping sound makes Fury raise his head abruptly, he looks at the pager he tied to his arm, and a sentence appears on it:

"Prisoners discovered, prepare to evacuate."

Fury squints his eyes, and without hesitation, he turns his muzzle towards the entrance to the underground warehouse; a few minutes later, following two faint gunshots, Fury sees the messy Constantine rush out of the warehouse with a lit-up Sitwell on his back, yet there was no sign of Merlin.

The surrounding half-demons close in and attempt to stop the two runaways, and Fury pulls the trigger without hesitation.

"Bang"

Following the sound of a gunshot, the head of the fastest half-demon explodes.

The powerful force of the holy silver bullets had truly shocking power, it may not be effective against a powerful half-demon like Morris, but it is most effective against these defects.

Fury, who had been on the battlefield and received the rank of Colonel was no rookie, he didn't fire all the bullets at once; instead, like an experienced hunter, he cleans up all the chasing and intercepting hostiles that get near to Constantine.

These bastards have some real vitality, they're quick to get back up if it's not a headshot; the half-demons had some destructive capabilities too, Fury could see them pushing containers with their bare hands or lifting the smaller machines and hurling them at Constantine.

Fury keeps firing and killing multiple half-demons until Constantine reaches the outside of the harbor.

Seeing as to most of the half-demons in the harbor being attracted by Constantine and they were heading outside the harbor, Fury's heart sank, it would be an absolute disaster if those monsters were to get into the city, it would be catastrophic.

He keeps the sniper rifle and climbs down the dispatch tower as fast as he could, but as soon as he landed on the ground, a half-demon covered in flames roared as it charged towards Fury.

"Mo*********er!"

Fury curses and rolls forward, evading the suicide charge of the burning half-demon.

Fury rolls on the ground, takes out his pistol, lies on the ground, and shoots the head of the half-demon three times.

Shots at such a short distance blew the half-demon's head apart, disgusting and hot flesh scattered everywhere.

Glancing at the half-demon's burning corpse, Fury grits his teeth, picks up his sniper rifle, and runs to the outside of the harbor. Then he sees Constantine sitting in his car attempting to make his getaway.

"Bam"

Fury smashes on the car window, drags Constantine out of the car, and throws him onto the floor; Fury looks back at the half-demons who were running out of the harbor.

He turns back, grabs Constantine by the collar, and slams him against the car:

"You bastard! Trying to run after getting into trouble? Where's Merlin? Where is he?"

"He's trapped inside!"

Constantine screams:

"We can't deal with so many half-demons! We have to run! Before it's too late!"

"We run! And what happens to the people nearby?"

Fury points at the street behind him, he carries his sniper rifle and tells Constantine:

"We have to stop them!"

"You're mad! You and Merlin have both gone mad!"

Constantine shouts, turns around, and tries to flee.

But then, a still-warm muzzle points at the back of his head, Fury held his pistol, his eyes under the sunglasses cold and indifferent:

"Take one step, and you will die here!"


Merlin did not know of the situation outside, he was too busy whacking on his unprecedented 'brother'.

In the darkness of the underground warehouse, the black fog Merlin had transformed into intertwines Morris' body, and enters the half-demon's body through its nose, ears, and roaring mouth.

Merlin could control the black fog like his fingers, he directed the black fog to inflict massive damage in Morris' body, causing the half-demon to feel extreme pain.

Morris roared madly, it waved its terrifyingly high-temperature claws in the air, creating streaks of heated claw marks in the air.

The power it inherited from Tirgon should be pure strength, the enhancement of its body brought it overwhelming strength, Merlin would not be able to withstand it head-on.

But the problem was that Merlin was not stupid enough to fight a half-demon with brute strength head-on.

What's the point if Morris has greater strength?

It cannot damage Merlin's fog form, if this keeps up, it was only a matter of time before Merlin destroys its organs and dies pathetically in this place where the sun does not shine.

The battle was much smoother than Merlin had initially thought.

In the past, Merlin had thought of Tirgon's 'sons' as the most dangerous enemies, keeping his guard high. Morris' strength was worthy of his high alert.

But after an actual confrontation, Merlin discovers that these Demon Sons aren't as terrifying as he thought.

Or to say, they're not all-powerful.

Trigon did not give each of its 'sons' all its abilities, all of these demon sons each inherited one of Trigon's traits individually.

Under the black fog, Merlin used a cold expression as he watched the ever-weaker struggles of Rabid Morris.

He was not excited, there was no excitement in killing a demon, especially when he knew not of the consequences of killing this demon.

"Ow!"

As the black fog continued to pour into its body, the manic Morris finally sense a deadly threat; the half-demon then stops flailing around and begins concentrating its power inside its body.

Merlin could feel the temperature inside Morris' body getting ever hotter, like a volcano that was about to erupt.

The fog he transformed into started to feel a stinging pain in the extreme heat, so Merlin retracts all of his fog.

"BOOM"

Bright flames spew out of Morris' body like a shining halo, and in an instant, gushes outwards in an explosive manner.

A few seconds later, Merlin puts down the arm he used to block the light, around him, the warehouse had been completely lit up.

Flames were everywhere.

Morris roared and spewed out hellfire from its mouth until the entirety of the warehouse had been lit with it, the ferocious half-demon turns and looks at Merlin, a sinister light flashing in its four eyes.

"Father has much love for you, the power it gave you is so salivating."

Morris stands in the burning hellfire and says to Merlin who was trapped in the fire:

"Give it to me, since you've never truly unleashed its true powers; with it, I will have the qualifications to become a true Demon Prince!"

Merlin did not care about Morris' fantasy, he frowns as he looked around him, the fire was powered by magic, and it greatly restrained Merlin's fog ability. Clearly, this was Morris' attempt to abolish Merlin's ability to turn into fog.

It would not be hurt in the rolling flames.

But Merlin would be burned the moment he dares to transform into fog!

"What other tricks do you have? My brother!"

Morris waves its claws and charges towards Merlin ferociously, its frenzy was as powerful as an earthquake.

"Play whatever tricks you have left! Show me your struggle! Hahahaha!"

Seeing Rabid Morris charge towards him like an unstoppable tank, Merlin, surrounded by the flames, reaches out and presses his glasses; he flicks his wrist and begins chanting, mana begins to intertwine on the demon claw wand Lola as Merlin shot out the most complex spell he could master at Morris' legs as it ran.

"Locomotor Mortis!"

The crimson red glow forcibly stops Morris' running legs like chains!

Locomotor Mortis!

Used to bind the victim's legs, there was nearly no limit to how much force it could stop if one had sufficient mana.

"Bam"

The large kinetic force of having its legs forcibly stopped affects Morris, causing the ferocious half-demon to stagger and fall to the floor in an embarrassing posture.

Its large body rolls on the ground several times and eventually stops right in front of Merlin.

The expressionless Merlin looks down at the half-demon's four eyes, his fingers take something out from his pocket, it was a silver baton with cracks on both ends.

Morris could see that behind those glasses, Merlin's eyes become blood-shot red, his originally calm temperament begins to berserk like a raging storm in the underground warehouse, causing Morris' eyes to shrink abruptly.

Danger! Extreme danger!"

"Ignorant fool..."

"Have you..."

"Seen this?"

Then, Merlin raises his left foot and heavily stomps it downward like a dropping hammer.

"Plack"

A low sound resounds from Merlin's foot.

It was like...

The sound of a watermelon, or head, exploding.

 

7