Arc 3: Chapter 24: Retreat
140 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Skrull Talos was deterred by the scene before him, which in turn caused him to make assumptions, the also surprised Fury tires to explain.

But the wily guy rolled his eyes, coughed softly, and says while pretending to be calm:

"We didn't train that."

Fury says in a low tone:

"It's our companion, it'll appear when the Earth is in danger, like now."

"Oh."

Talos realizes this, he looks at Fury and says:

"So it's a Planet Guardian...I've heard of stories like this before, but I've never seen it with my own eyes. Earthling, you're lucky, no Guardian like this appeared to help us when our home planet was decimated by the dismantling cannon."

"Indeed."

Fury looks back to the screen at the roaring monster on the sea, confusion flashed in his eyes but he continues:

"We are lucky."

In front of them, the blue ray shot from the sea of Earth had almost blasted its way to the atmosphere while pushing against the Kree's dismantling ray.

But the monster's energy ray must've not broken through the limits of space, so it didn't go all the way back to the dismantling ship.

But it's alright.

The most crucial wave of attack had been blocked, and the heroes begin their final wave of retaliation.

In the atmosphere, Magneto who had received the news and saw the power of the dismantling ray did not hesitate. He controls the Earth's magnetic field to push the missiles launched from the surface further off into space while calibrating their flight pattern so they fly faster at the Kree's dismantling ship.

And on the surface of the moon, the quiet man who was wearing a black combat uniform and Y-shaped ornament gazes at the space battlefield in the distance, he shakes his head and opens his mouth one last time.

Following a low muttering, a powerful sound wave heavily smashes into the remaining Kree starships like a shapeless fist.

This last hit easily tears apart the 4 convoy starships of the dismantling ship. In the destructive flames, Carol Danvers soars out of the flames and pounces towards the still-firing dismantling ship.

The blondie's long hair waved in space like an unfolding fire flag.

She looks at the dismantling ship that was getting closer, she then converges all the energy around her body, making her look like a shining star. The energy flames around her became more magnificent and massive, even the burning flames in her eyes made her look like she had transcended the shackles of a mortal.

She raises her right fist, and as the red ribbon ornamented on her blue-red uniform waved, Carol lets out her final warcry on the battlefield filled with explosions and destruction.

"Farewell! Kree bastards!"

"BOOM"

Carol's fist smashes into the deck of the 1000-times larger Kree dismantling ship, the suppressed-to-the-limit energy abruptly bursts like a brilliant halo in space.

The operating energy core of the dismantling ship was destroyed, and the energy accumulated inside it exploded.

The blinding light even covered the light of the sun.

In Mar-Vell's lab, everyone had closed their eyes; and in the Kree armada with less than 20% available fighting force, the bloody Ronan with his war hammer raises his head, he looks at the erupting light and a hint of pain and shame appears in his eyes.

In the space before him, the armada he was so proud of had mostly become trash floating in space, tens of thousands of heroic warriors had died in this honorless battlefield.

The invincible Ronan had suffered a defeat.

A terrible defeat.

This nearly unbearable humiliation made Ronan want to storm out into space and make a last stand with Carol Danvers.

But h was a commander, after all, seeing the last dismantling ship be destroyed by Carol, Ronan grits his teeth, raises his war hammer, and transfers his orders to the command rooms of every remaining starship.

"We..."

"Retreat..."

There was a hint of desolation in Ronan's voice, his flagship the Dark Aster had been ruined by the hands of the rampaging Carol.

The Accuser could see the current situation clearly.

Planet c-53 was not as weak as he had initially thought it would be, the planet's technology was still in a primitive state, but the planet itself had bred lots and lots of odd lifeforms.

An information collecting video resides in front of Ronan: Magneto, Carol Danvers, the mysterious man leaving from the surface of the moon, and the terrifying monster diving back into the sea.

The information of these 4 lifeforms is being stored in the Kree army's database, they will be listed as enemies prime for research.

"Swish"

Carol Danvers who was surrounded by burning energy soars toward the front of the starship Ronan was on like a meteorite, she and Ronan looked at each other through the observation glass.

Carol did not think to kill them all.

If Ronan, one of the Accusers, dies in Earth's orbit, it would only make the situation worse.

Maybe the Kree Empire will risk it all to attack.

That was not what Carol wanted to see, nor was it something the current Earth was capable of standing against.

"Ronan."

The fiery goddess-like Carol levitates in space and shouts:

"Return! Tell the Supreme Intelligence...if he still exists..."

"Soon, I'll find him, and end this all for good!"

Ronan stares at the Carol Danvers before him, this blue-skinned yet blood-stained Kree general had an indifferent expression, he raises his war hammer like a signal, a command.

Hexagon transition windows begin to appear in the space outside of Earth like energy grids.

The remaining Kree starships returned to the jump point as the way they came.

Seeing the dimming transition window, meaning that the war here had ended for now. But from Ronan's expression before he left, that Accuser will not give up so easily.

He is sure to return, and the next time he comes, will Carol and the heroes still exist on this blue planet?

Seeing the Kree exit this desolate battlefield, Carol looks at the starship scraps floating in the space around her along with the shattered corpses; the starships she had destroyed were like ruined ships floating across the sea, they were also like near-death beasts awaiting their doom in the cold space.

In the Earth's orbit, the debris scattered across the space like it was an intergalactic graveyard.

Amongst the shattered starship wreckage, Carol looks back in a daze, looking back at where she had come from. She saw Merlin, on the observation deck in Mar-Vell's lab, with his hung arm giving her a thumbs up as to congratulate her victory; the orange cat Goose leans against Merlin's feet, looking at her while waving its tail. 

A smile appears on Carol's face as she floats in space while warmth fills her lost heart.

She suddenly remembers that she was not alone anymore.

She had friends now.

She lets out a bright smile, and in the shine of the golden-red halo, she gestures a thumbs-up back at Merlin; she then storms to the wreckage of the battlefield and begins pushing the debris into the sun one by one...

She's going to clean out all the space trash, otherwise, Earth won't be able to launch any spacecraft in the next few decades if all this space trash is left unattended.

But just as Carol prepares for a second clean-up, news from Fury suddenly reaches her.

"Carol, do me a favor, alright?"

"Say it, Fury."

"Can you help us transport the most complete wreckage back to the surface? We have to use the 'gifts' left by the Kree wisely."

Fury says softly:

"We can't always depend on your help every time we're in trouble."

"I'm not saying no, Fury."

Carol replies in space:

"I'm happy to help my homeworld develop their technology, but there may be some dangerous remnants left on the Kree starships. For example, the Kree also get sick, but the pathogen that infected them does not exist on Earth. You get what I mean?"

"Oh, disinfection!'

Fury nods, he in Mar-Vell's lab tells Carol:

"Then please help us disinfect the starship, we'll be waiting for you back on the surface."

As he finishes, Fury communicates with Pierce on the surface, letting him report the results of the war and for them to prepare to collect their spoils of war. Once everything is well said, Fury turns around and looks at Talos, who was conversing with his people, and tells the alien leader:

"What about you? Talos, are you going to leave now, or stay on Earth for a while longer?"

"Earth..."

Talos holds his son in his arms and looks at Fury, a smile flashes in his yellow eyes as he says:

"We won't be going there, in case we worry the leaders behind you. We'll wait for a few days in this lab, and once the Light-Speed Engine has been fully calibrated, we will set off...to leave the Milky Way for good."

He puts down his son and walks over to Fury, he extends his hand to Fury:

"We'll never see each other again, Nick Fury. Then, when I encounter other civilizations, could I tell them I have a friend from Earth?"

"Of course, you can threaten them."

Fury reaches out and grabs Talos' hand, saying with a smile:

"Just say you have a terrifying Earthling friend called Fury who can gobble up Kree warlords like breakfast."

"Hahaha"

The two men of different races yet similar occupations look at each other before letting out a laugh.

"Look at them, what a terrible laugh."

Natasha looks at Fury and Talos, she pouts her mouth and says to agent Barton beside her:

"Perhaps this is the commiseration between a spy and an agent?"

Agent Barton shrugs and says softly:

"They've fought together after all, and they're about to leave, so they're no threat to us, no?"

"We should also get going."

Behind the two, Merlin carries Goose in his arms while saying to his companions:

"Maria's already prepared the jet, we're going back to Earth, as well as hand over our prisoners to the authorities. And...I think I need some medical assistance."

Merlin shakes his head, he steps forward with his body slightly wobbly and says:

"Let's go, I'm starting to hate the smell of man-made air."

A dozen minutes later, the plane modified by the Skrull technician slowly descends into the atmosphere, and under Maria Rambeau's control, the plane begins to fly normally after a shaky ride through the atmosphere.

The female pilot who once served in Project Pegasus often looks back at the sky, where beyond the atmosphere, her best friend was cleaning up the battlefield in space.

She was back.

Carol was home, that's great.

And in the cabin, Merlin had fallen into a deep sleep while leaning against his seat, the orange car Goose squats on his lap while contemplating Nick Fury curiously.

Fury also notices Goose's confused gaze, he throws the item in his hand, and Goose's sights move along with it.

It was a cubic energy core, like a light in the ice, it emitted a slightly cold glow. It was the Tesseract, the most important trophy of this expedition.

"Hey, cool cat Goose."

Fury extends his hand and says to Goose:

"Want this?"

"Meow"

Then, Goose jumps off of Merlin's lap and tries to grab the Tesseract in Fury's hand, but Fury moves his hand and dodges Goose's pounce.

Fury laughs while reaching out to stroke on Goose's head, he did not notice the hint of anger that flashed in Goose's yellow eyes.

The egghead in front of her dares to toy with me!

The orange cat lets out a sharp hiss and pounces at Fury.

"Meow!"

"Oh, mo********er!"

Fury instantly lets out a scream, Merlin who sensed an odd energy fluctuation immediately opened his eyes and grabbed Goose by the neck, stopping its attempt to gobble up Fury, and placing it back into his arms.

Merlin looks at Fury, there were 3 scratch marks on the latter's left eye, they were scratched by Goose.

"Ah, that hurt."

Fury rubs his eyes and says to Merlin:

"Your cat is as strange as you are...hell! I'll have to get vaccinated when I get back."

Merlin was hesitant whether or not to reveal Goose's identity to Fury.

Err, at least from Goose's identity, the scratch marks on his left eye may not recover from a simple vaccination.

He takes off his glasses and looks at Fury with his second sight, he's relieved when he notices no strange energy residue on Fury's wound.

It's just a scratch, it should be...

Alright... 

 

6