Arc 4: Chapter 8: Sample Collection
209 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The helicopter that was covered in water vapor flew along the edges of the island and eventually landed on the northernmost spot of Skull Island.

The mountain range of the island end here, there was also a small beach here from the erosion of the seawater, the area looked like a paradise island. And where the beach and mountains intersected, a white building was hidden in the forest.

It was like a large villa, it had an apron, a garage, a small dock, and two boats in the dock.

As the helicopter lands, a male and a female were waving at the helicopter from next to the apron, they may be wearing T-shirts and shorts like backpackers, they are in fact the researchers left on Skull Island by Monarch.

"This is Mark and Emma."

As they got off the helicopter, Professor Serizawa introduces the couple-like researchers to Merlin, saying:

"Mark and Emma are both outstanding biologists, Mark is also a master photographer, he's responsible for collecting any valuable intel on Skull Island; Emma is responsible for searching and locating all types of native species, as well as communicating with the local tribe."

"Mmm?"

Merlin holds the pale Hill and says with confusion:

"There are native tribes on this island? You mean humans?"

"Of course there are!"

Vivienne who helped Professor Serizawa with his bag says:

"The reason why Monarch believes that Kong can become humanity's friend is not based on fantasy, but facts."

"When we first explored Skull Island in 1973, we knew that there is a tribe of nearly 3000 people on this island; they worship Kong as their god, and occasionally make offerings to Kong, in turn, Kong accepts their worship and even consciously protects them."

"These natives have reached the most basic tributary status with Kong!"

The researcher helps the seasick Hill while observing Merlin, she explains:

"If Kong can accept the existence of these natives, it means it can also accept our presence."

"Irregular biologist, Merlin Nicholas Grant."

Merlin extends a hand to Professor Emma and says softly:

"And I'm curious, are you implying that Kong 'accepting' us is us worshipping it like the natives here? I don't think the bigshots in Washington and London are going to like this way of 'acceptance'."

"Of course not."

Mark who was next to Emma steps forward and holds Merlin's hand, he says:

"We wish to build with Kong the equal relationship of 'need and needed'. We can offer more to Kong than those natives after all."

"Too idealistic."

Merlin shakes his head, and as they follow Mark and Emma into the villa, he says to Professor Serizawa:

"In my many years of researching irregular creatures, I've to warn you not to have such idealistic ideas. Firstly, Kong may not need what we have to offer."

"Second, a highly intelligent irregular or titan, like Kong, has its values, and human values are never the same as the values of a beast."

"Oh, how so?"

Professor Serizawa seems to be interested in the topic as he asks:

"Can you give an example?"

"A most simple example, unicorns."

Merlin sticks his hand into his pocket and says to the 4 biologists in front of him:

"I once tracked a juvenile unicorn in Wales with Dorris before and was fortunate enough to make contact with it. You know, in the fairy tales normal people hear, unicorns can discern the human heart and only allow pure virgins to ride it, but what's the situation in reality?"

Merlin smiles and says:

"The truth is, if a unicorn has to choose a rider, then it would instinctively choose the underaged girl; because in all situations compared, an underaged girl weighs the least, and unicorns dislike carrying dozens of extra kilograms. So supposedly it should've chosen Dorris instead of me..."

"But I used a bag of pinecones to 'bribe' it, it then chose me over Dorris and gently carried me through a small part of the forest."

"What I want to say is, don't try to figure out what irregulars are thinking with our way of thinking, they're usually more simple when it comes to thinking. Like Kong, for example, you harmed it 22 years ago, and it has born a grudge until now, and probably will continue doing so against outsiders...unless you somehow regain its trust."

Merlin turns to look at Professor Emma and says:

"As for what you've said, attain a 'need and needed' relationship with Kong...that's just ridiculous, this island is its home, it is the king here! It has everything, and how exactly do you plan on bribing a king that likes freedom? An endless supply of bananas?"

"You think of the problem too simply."

As Merlin finishes, he turns to look at Hill who was suffering from the aftereffects of seasickness; the young girl had just experienced a terrible journey and may have to rest and recover in the villa for a couple of hours.

"Unicorns?"

Professor Emma says to Professor Serizawa with a suspicious face:

"Professor, when did you start recruiting civilian scientists? Look at the example he took, a terrible one it is."

"Yeah, he looks like someone drunk in their fantasies."

Mark says to his wife approvingly:

"I don't think it's a good idea having him here."

"Professor Merlin is a true irregular biologist!"

Professor Serizawa lowers his voice, he winks at his companions and says:

"He successfully helped us with the issue of not being able to get close to Rodan, this allowed us to see hope in our research at Isla de Mona. I brought him here to Skull Island is to wish that we'll acquire the way to get close to Kong through the results of his research."

"But the things he said..."

"Hey, buddy."

As they discussing, Merlin had returned to them with a glass of water in his hand, he says expressionlessly:

"You should know that I can still hear you even if you lower your voice?"

And then, there was awkwardness.

But Merlin did not care about their doubts, he picks up his backpack and says to Professor Serizawa:

"Let Dorris rest here for a while, I'm going to go look at the ecological system on this island, I need to collect some samples on those peculiar plants and animals you said about."

"Now?"

Professor Serizawa raises his head to look at the sky and says:

"I'll go with you then."

"Bring a weapon! Professor."

As Serizawa and Merlin were about to leave, Mark walks over with a black shotgun and says to Professor Serizawa:

"And don't go too deep into the island, fire a flare if you encounter anything, we'll go pick you up immediately. The island hasn't been very peaceful these past few days."

"Mmm?"

Professor Serizawa's expression becomes serious, he takes the weapon and says to Mark:

"Those underground demons have appeared again?"

"It's hard to say for now."

Mark replies seriously:

"We saw Kong patrol the island multiple times these past two days, and we heard its roar as it fought something. It should be the reappearance of those underground creatures, but the time doesn't match...it hasn't been 10 years yet."

"Mmm, Godzilla's sudden appearance must've alarmed those monsters."

Professor Serizawa says softly:

"A chain reaction, the presence of the awakened king made those low-tier monsters feel fear, this is normal. Relax, Mark, we won't go near that burial ground."

Merlin listens to Serizawa and Mark's conversation, he heard something but he did not ask immediately. He instead gets onto the SUV and heads into the nearest mountain following the coastline.

"Stop!"

Merlin suddenly raises his hand and Professor Serizawa steps on the brakes immediately.

Merlin jumps off the car and heads towards the edge of a swamp-like area; he carefully puts on his glove and gently clears the weeds.

By the water, Merlin uses the collector he had on him to collect a plant that had white petals, rose thorns, and no leaves, he then places it into a box and keeps it in his backpack.

Next to him, Professor Serizawa watched as Merlin did his thing, and asks when Merlin was finished collecting:

"What is that?"

"Moonflower, a base material used for making chameleon agents."

Merlin stands up, happiness flashes in his eyes as he gazes at the green fields mountains in front of him, he says to Professor Serizawa:

"Moonflowers are nearly extinct in the outside world and can only be found in places where very few humans have set foot on. But look at this!"

Merlin points to the swamp, on the edge of the swamp were dozens of these odd white flowers. He rubs his hand and says softly:

"You're right, Serizawa, this is a treasure cove, a true treasure cove!"

WHat Professor Serizawa paid attention to was something else, he asks:

"Chameleon agent, what's that?"

"Something you need most right now."

Merlin looks back at him and makes a creeping gesture, saying:

"This agent is the same as the cooldown agent, it has special effects after consumption. It can allow normal people to acquire the hiding ability of a chameleon, it'll allow your researchers to venture deeper into the island. Unless Kong sees you with its own eyes, otherwise, it'll just treat you like another animal on the island."

"Kong has a sharp sense of smell."

Professor Serizawa reminds him:

"It doesn't just act off of hearing and vision."

"The chameleon agent can cover presences, it can change your presence into the presences of several beasts as long as you add different base materials."

Merlin moves his fingers and says to Professor Serizawa:

"I did so back when I tracked a dangerous Thunderbird in North America. I even successfully reached its nest...believe me, unless Kong sees you, it won't find anything out of the ordinary."

"The problem now is that to camouflage as a beast on the island, then I need some of their blood."

Merlin looks back at the endless mountain range and waves his finger:

"Just a little blood would do fine, it won't harm their health in any way. Best one of the gentle ones that can be commonly seen across the island without drawing suspicion."

"Serizawa, any recommendations?"

Merlin looks at Professor Serizawa, the latter thinks for a while, then takes out a large tranquilizer gun from the car behind him, he throws it to Merlin and waves at him:

"Come with me, there's a creature that best fits your needs, and it's right here in this swamp."

Serizawa brings Merlin along the marks drawn by Monarch in this swamp that wasn't far from the beach, all the way into the swamp.

A few minutes later, they arrive next to a water pool.

Merlin notices some snapped branches covered in moss and ripped-off cloth. And in his dark senses, Merlin could feel a large creature hiding in the water pool.

The life activity was very obvious, like a clump of burning fire in the darkness.

Merlin sets up the tranquilizer as Professor Serizawa squats down and lightly pats in the water.

Then, the 'branch' that floated on the water slowly began to rise, the water of the pool was pushed aside, and as water gushed, a large creature nearly 6 meters tall appears in front of Merlin and Serizawa.

It was...a water buffalo about the size of a sea reef.

Algae-like stuff covered its body and a wet mane was on its black skin; on its similar-to-a-water buffalo's crown was a horn that was shaped like a branch that has grown for god knows how many years, with small yet slender horns stretching outwards intersecting like a broken tree branch.

And from Merlin's observation, this moss-filled bull horn was nearly 15 meters long.

The creature seems to have been awakened from its sleep, it moved its yellow eyes in a daze and looked at Professor Serizawa and Merlin in front of it.

"Moo"

The large creature didn't seem to care about the two humans in front of it, there wasn't much intellect in its eyes; after staring for a few seconds, it turns around and tries to submerge into the water facing a different direction to continue its nap.

"We call it the 'Sker Buffalo'."

Professor Serizawa takes a step back and looks at the large creature that weighed at least 20 tonnes, saying softly:

"It's a herbivore, it's quite strong but it's gentle, the local natives on the other side of the island even train them as pack animals. These water buffalos exist everywhere on this island that has water, but it's practically the lowest of the food chain here."

"Are you sure it isn't on Kong's menu?"

Merlin aims the tranquilizer at the water buffalo and asks softly:

"I don't want you to get hunted by Kong like dinner."

"Kong likes eating underwater creatures, creatures like mire squids, it does not eat water buffaloes.

Serizawa explains:

"We believe Kong treats these Sker Buffalos as its 'subjects', Mark had captured image data of Kong helping these creatures."

"Good!"

Merlin nods and pulls the trigger, the tranquilizer gun in his hand then shoots out three tranquilizer darts that can paralyze a mature elephant within seconds at the Sker Buffalos' butt.

The sudden pain made the gentle creature let out a low roar, but the tranquilizer had already taken effect before it even turned around.

"Bam"

It fell by the pool, its body still trembling like a small collapsed mountain.

Merlin hands Serizawa the tranquilizer gun and takes out a small test tube, he walks to the water buffalo, squats down, and begins to extract blood.

And as Merlin finishes extracting the blood and prepares to get up, an odd neigh followed by the vibration from the other side of the swamp enters Merlin's senses.

He abruptly raises his head and looks to the other side of the swamp, in his dark senses, something big was rushing towards his and Serizawa's location following a tunnel that may exist underground. 

Merlin keeps his hand inside his pocket, he turns and says to Serizawa with the shotgun:

"Are there any other predators in the area..."

"Besides Kong?"

 

 

7