Arc 4: Chapter 22: Official Business
146 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"There are over 20 thousand spells in the wizarding world, most of which can be learned as long as you can find that precious knowledge."

In the living room of the Burrow, Mr. Arthur rubbed on his aching wrist while saying to Merlin, who was holding an ice bag against his head:

"But amongst these spells, there are three spells that are named the 'Unforgivable Curses', they're the kind of spells with destructive effects and devastating aftereffects."

"They are the Killing Curse, Avada Kedavra, the Cruciatus Curse, Crucio, and the Imperius Curse, Imperio. These spells are extremely vicious even amongst the most notorious dark spells."

Madam Molly looked at her reckless husband with blame, and while the gentle madam carefully inspected the wound on Merlin's arm, she told her two children:

"What's terrible about Imperio is that it can be used to manipulate the hearts and minds of others, and there's nearly no limit to those which one can control as long as they have sufficient mana."

"Avada Kedavra can directly bypass the protection of the body and mana shield to annihilate the soul, this means that someone would be killed most cruelly once hit."

"As for Crucio, it may seem misnamed. But any old wizard knows that Crucio is the cruelest spell amongst the Three Unforgivable Curses."

Madam Molly healed Merlin's wound with healing magic and says softly:

"There's no limit to the pain one can inflict on others with Crucio..."

"With enough mana, the pain will double and double, either until the inflicted goes mad or dies miserably from the torture. During the Middle Ages, any wizard that uses Crucio would be hunted by the Aurors, the Three Unforgivable Curses were strictly banned at that time."

"But during the confrontation against the dangerous Grindelwald and his followers, some Aurors of the Ministry of Magic would secretly use Crucio to interrogate the dark wizards."

Mr. Arthur says in a low tone:

"The bad atmosphere began then, but Aurors were doing good with bad methods, so no one blamed them..."

"But once someone starts doing something bad, there'll be more and more imitators. For the last few years, very few have used the Killing Curse and the Imperius Curse, but there's a sign that Crucio is starting to get overused; what's worse is that the Ministry of Magic can't do anything about it."

"Since they're using it themselves."

Madam Molly sighs worriedly, she tells Merlin:

"They can't keep themselves straight, and the Aurors need some way for deterring criminals. Yet I could not imagine how Arthur would be crazy enough to use Crucio to a young man who had just learned magic! Have you gone mad?"

"No, it's alright, Madam Molly."

Merlin shakes his head and tells her:

"Mr. Arthur was forced to do so, in fact, I should've stopped after hitting you with Reducto. This is my fault, I was too aggressive."

"You saw it too, my dear Molly."

Mr. Arthur raises his slightly swollen arm and torn shirt, he then tells his wife:

"Merlin backed me into a corner...I was foolish, thankfully it didn't become worse."

"No way!"

Ron, who had been listening to their story from the side, screams:

"Dad, you lost? Merlin bested you? Hell, he self-taught! For 3 years only!"

"Pa"

Madam Molly makes a blank face and slaps on Ron's head, saying:

"No cursing at home! Merlin is talented, much more talented than you, you should start spending time learning magic, Ron! You're a Weasley! We're a pure-blood family!"

"That's right, Ron."

Merlin places the icebag on his head aside and tells Ron:

"It was pure luck that I beat your father, he's a powerful wizard, and I can feel that he has plenty of trump cards hidden, probably to save me some face."

Merlin smiles, his explanation makes Hermione and Ron nod; the two young wizards must also believe that Mr. Arthur had held back.

But in reality, Arthur did have a wizard's trump card, but Merlin...he had his own unused trump card.

After finishing dinner, Arthur invites Merlin for a stroll outside the Burrow. They followed the river all the way to the fruit forest behind the Burrow; under the shine of the sunset, Arthur snuffs on a snuff bottle, he then tells Merlin:

"Your strength is outstanding, Merlin. I can now tell you what it is that I need your help with."

Arthur looks back at Merlin and says:

"I need you to help me protect a child...just for a week, and if you can, don't let him know of your presence."

"You mean, Ron?"

Merlin glances at the kitchen and says:

"Did something happen?"

"No, not Ron. It's Harry."

Arthur lowers his voice and says:

"He's a friend of Ron and Hermione, a...how do I put it, a child of importance."

"Something has happened in the Ministry of Magic, some say that some officials of the Ministry of Magic are planning to imprison Harry and take away his identity as a wizard; the principal of Hogwarts Mr. Dumbledore is trying to think of a way to clear this issue, which may take up to a week. For this period, we have to protect Harry from getting harmed."

Arthur sighs somewhat helplessly:

"But we official wizards are registered in the Ministry of Magic, once they discover our identity, it may drag our loved ones into the matter. All but you, Merlin, you are unexpected, you don't work in England since you're not British, and you're not registered in the Ministry of Magic. So you're the most suitable choice to protect him."

"As long as you be careful and not get in a conflict with those bastards from the Ministry of Magic, you'll be fine."

"Harry? You mean Harry Potter?"

Merlin rubs on his forehead and recalls the name, he says:

"Hermione mentioned this name repeatedly in her letters, she says that Mr. Potter is a famous child in the wizarding world, supposedly related to some Dark Lord?"

"Yes, you can think of Harry as a type of Chosen One."

Arthur spreads his arms and says simply:

"His parents were powerful wizards, both died to fight the Dark Lord, they're true heroes."

"The Dark Lord has died, or, has been missing for decades, though some rumors say that he's returned. But we've been monitoring his forces and the Ministry of Magic is also moving, so they won't move in the open. The danger that Harry is currently facing is mainly from the Ministry of Magic itself, which is the department I serve in; unfortunately, after so long, this system that was meant to uphold order had fallen."

"Harry, that poor child..."

Mr. Arthur tightly clenches his fists and says angrily:

"The incompetent Minister of Magic Fudge and his cronies are treating him as a tool to gain power and suppress Dumbledore."

"Hang on, Mr. Arthur."

Merlin interrupts Mr. Arthur and says:

"You're saying that you want me to protect someone the Minister of Magic sees as an eyesore under the attention of the Ministry of Magic?"

"Yes, is there a problem?"

Arthur asks, to which Merlin shakes his head, he looks at the setting sun in the distance and says:

"No, this is too much trouble, they have the absolute advantage, it's too easy for the officials to trouble him. We can't passively save the fire everywhere, we have to make a smarter move...what I mean is, we have to keep the Ministry of Magic from openly looking for trouble."

"Let Harry go to America, let him disguise himself as a muggle. My organization has enough power in the muggle world to hide his tracks, I'll stay by his side for the next 7 days, this should do the trick."

Merlin looks at Arthur and says:

"As influenceable as the Ministry of Magic is, they can't meddle with North America's affairs, how do you say?"

"In that case..."

Arthur frowns and thinks for a moment, saying:

"That's one way to do it. The Magical Congress does dislike other forces meddling around on their turf, and I've not heard of any Death Eaters in North America. But the problem is that the Ministry of Magic won't allow Harry to leave England so easily, they'll do their best to stop this operation."

"This is even simpler."

Merlin takes out his phone and dials a number, he blinks at Mr. Arthur and says:

"We don't need to hide at all, we just need to do it officially."

He dials the number, and moments later, he says to the person on the other side:

"Hello, Garrett? I'm Merlin...there's something I need your help with."


On July 5th, 1995, in a villa Little Whinging on 4 Privet Road, the sudden ringing of the phone surprised Dudley Dursley, who was sneaking a snack.

The 16-year old young man had inherited his father's looks entirely, obese in every part of his body; even so, this rough child still likes to eat sweets behind his parents' back, and when discovered, he would shove the responsibility to his cousin Harry Potter.

With donut fillings still on his mouth, he runs over to the phone and picks it up, only to hear a very serious voice resounding from it:

"This is London PD, is Mr. Vernon Dursley there?"

"Dad! Dad! The police station called!"

Dudley was surprised and shouted for his father, soon, a fat man in his 40s with a beard and exhausted expression walks into the room. 

This was Vernon Dursley, Harry Potter's uncle, a director at Grunnings.

A successful businessman, just not a good father, or guardian.

"Hello, sir. This is Vernon, what's the matter?"

Vernon asks the officer on the other end of the phone politely, the call from the London PD then says in a business-like:

"The 57 alarm letters on the supernatural occurrences of your nephew between 1991 and 1994 have been replied. A senior agent from the WSC's Europe Division has come to London for the affair on your nephew."

"Mr. Vernon, we are now informing you to please bring your wife, son, and nephew to the police station this afternoon 4-pm. The officer will be waiting for you at the station! Do not be late, thank you."

The call ended as he finished.

Mr. Vernon held the phone with a stunned expression.

Indeed, he had been burdened by the supernatural occurrences brought by his nephew Harry over the past few years. In fact, he never liked Harry from the beginning, neither did his wife, despite them being related by blood.

For a time, Vernon had tried to handle the issue on his nephew through legal means, yet he had never received a reply. He had despaired, but the police station's official reply today made him excited.

"Dudley! Call your mother back, then let Harry tidy himself and change into some decent clothes! We're leaving this afternoon! Oh, my god, have you finally heard the prayers of your devote follower?"

That very afternoon, in the office of London PD, the well-dressed Dursley family sat on the chair and waited for the sir to arrive.

And Harry Potter, who was wearing a set of unfit clothes, looked on in confusion.

He did not know what had gotten into his uncle to bring him to the police station.

"Bang"

At 4-pm in the afternoon, the office door is opened.

Merlin who was in a gray suit and wore frameless glasses walks into the office with an indifferent expression, he looks at the people in front of him, his indifferent gaze made the Dursley family fearful.

Merlin extends his hand and looks at his watch, he seemed to be very busy; he places the document in his hand onto the table, flips and reads a page, then says straightforwardly:

"Mr. Vernon, I'm a senior agent under the jurisdiction of the WSC, you can call me Merlin. I'm here to handle the supernatural occurrence of your nephew Mr. Harry James Potter...who is Mr. Potter?"

Merlin's gaze swept across the four people in front of him, under his inquiry, Harry instinctively gets up and says to Merlin:

"Hello, sir, I'm Harry Potter."

Merlin looks at him expressionlessly, moments later, he shakes his head and tells Vernon:

"Mr. Vernon, you say that your nephew can do magic, is that correct?"

"Yes, of course, sir."

Before Vernon could speak, his wife, a sharp toned lady spoke:

"He inherited the evil power from his mother, he can use magic, that's an evil power that will bring misfortune!"

"No! Madam!"

Merlin says coldly:

"There is no such thing as magic in this world, do not be misled. Everything can be scientifically answered, and my work is to crack these ancient superstitions!"

He looks at his watch and says to the people before him:

"I'll be taking Mr. Harry Potter away for a period of time, and my organization will do a full inspection of him; we will contact you again should we find any anomalies. Now I need two guardians to sign on these papers."

"Do you consent to me taking him away?"

Merlin asked so.

The Dursley couple looked at each other and nodded fiercely:

"Of course! Take him away, best you never send him back!"

As he finishes, they quickly sign on the documents and leave the station with their son Dudley.

In the office, there were only the forsaken Harry Potter and a calm Merlin.

Harry was just a 15-year old young man, he looks t the mysterious sir with slight fear; Merlin notices Harry's gaze, he raises his head and walks over to Harry, he then takes something out of his waist and waves it in front of Harry before letting out a smile at him.

It was a wand, a red wand.

The man in front of him...

Was a wizard!

"Don't be scared, Mr. Potter."

Merlin pats on the shoulder of this thin and weak young man, he leans over, looks at his eyes, and says softly:

"Young Hermione sends you her regards...for the next 7 days, I'll be your temporary guardian."

"Are you ready for a trip to North America?"

 

7