Arc 5: Chapter 44: Merlin – Far from Home
78 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Change of clothes. "

"Check."

"Wallet."

"Got it."

"What about personal sanitary ware?"

"Got those too."

"And the lucky charm I gave you?"

"Don't be silly, I'm a wizard and I don't need that stuff."

"I think you'd better take it."

"..."

At Merlin's house, in the late afternoon, Erik was helping Merlin conduct a final check on what he would bring with him on this trip. Although Merlin often travels for business reasons, this time was different.

This time, he is not going to a place that can make people feel at ease.

Erik and Merlin have lived together for nearly 7 years. Merlin has watched this child grow up and was soon to be an adult. And Erik had also witnessed Merlin rise in ranks from a rookie agent to the current director of a department.

The relationship between the two of them is special.

They may not be family in name, but their relationship is akin to that of true brothers. In the many years the two had lived together, they looked after each other, kept each other's secrets, and encouraged each other to live their lives.

They are not related by blood, but in the passage of time, there is also considerable affection between them.

In the living room, Erik's chattering gave Merlin a headache. He never knew that the boy he had adopted was such a sentimental person.

He looked at the high school student who was about to go to college in front of him and said:

"When I get back, you'll almost have an acceptance letter. Hopefully, that'll be good news."

"Do you think that it'll be bad news?"

Erik asks back:

"Have I ever let you down when it comes to studying?"

"Hey, what's up with this proud tone?"

Merlin tapped Erik on the head and said:

"I was a good student back then, though I never went to university, I had the opportunity to live your life. How should I put it, my thoughts and opinions are not important, just don't let yourself down. "

"I have a plan for my life."

Eric helped Merlin pull up the luggage as he said:

"I know exactly what I'm going to do, but you, I think you're just going with the flow, just counting the days as they pass."

"Who said that? I'm busy every day, okay?"

Merlin took the luggage and said to Erik:

"What do you know, kid? I do a noble job, and I don't want to come back  o an empty house and a missing person report."

As he spoke, Merlin paused briefly before telling Erik:

"I mean, about Wakanda, I know you've never given up on looking for it. But you're coming of age, and there are some things you should be able to judge for yourself."

He says:

"About your father, about your bloodline, about that mysterious country. This is a choice, Erik, it will determine your future life, and I have made a similar choice. As someone who's had a similar experience, my suggestion to you is to not worry about it and think carefully about what you want?"

"Do you want an ordinary and peaceful life, or do you want to plunge into a very unfamiliar world?"

"What's with you today?"

Erik escorts Merlin to the door with a strange expression, the young man who had begun to shake off his youth said:

"It's just a business trip, why does it feel like entrusting the funeral? I've said it all, I have a plan for my life, Merlin, don't get involved, at least before graduating from college, I won't make any risky moves."

"That's good."

Merlin glanced at Erik, and he pointed to the sofa in the living room:

"Then put that tube back where it's supposed to be. Do you think you can hide what you're thinking from me? I'm an agent supervisor."

Erik's expression changes, Merlin then looks at the time on his watch, and says to Eric:

"I have to go now."

"Whatever you want to do, just wait for me to come back. Okay?"

"Mmm."

Eric was silent for a moment, then nodded.

He watched as Merlin sat in the red classic sports car at the door and was driven out of the block by his colleagues.

The 17-year-old closed the door, walked to the sofa, and took something out from under the sofa.

It was the biggest secret of Erik's young life.

It is the tube of liquid vibranium that's been hidden for almost 7 years.

This thing was supposed to be in Erik's "treasure place", but now he has taken it out; it's clear that Erik was planning to do something with it.

Maybe it's a bait, maybe he's prepared to head over to his mysterious hometown in Africa as Merlin was on his business trip. Maybe it's just an impulse, maybe he was tired of the long years of waiting, anyways, what Merlin said tonight was not baseless as he had discovered what Erik was planning to do.

He gave his opinion.

It was no longer about persuasion between adults and children, but discussions between adults and adults.

Erik believed that Merlin wouldn't stop him if he insisted on taking the risk. That cold face yet warm heart would probably choose to abandon his responsibility and go to Africa with him.

But, that's not what Erik wants to see.

He knew the dangers of this adventure, and he didn't want another person whom he cared about to be drawn into this crisis.

Merlin has had enough troubles.

As family and friends, he shouldn't be adding more trouble to Merlin.

Under the not-so-bright light in the living room, the liquid vibranium in the glass tube in Erik's hand radiated a blue light. He looked at the glass jar, and in the reflection of the glass, he could see clearly his face, as well as his hesitant eyes.

After a few seconds, the young man sighed, and he put the vibranium in a black pocket and wrapped it with tape several times. Under the darkness, he carried the vibranium and walked towards the St. Agnes Orphanage.

He had stopped living there ever since he began going to high school 3 years ago, but it was still where he hid his secrets.

In the wind of the night, Eric put the black hood on his head and mumbles to himself:

"Aright, alright. It's yet time."

"Wakanda, father..."

"Please wait a while longer."


"Alas, the problems of puberty are really troublesome."

Sitting in the passenger seat of the speeding Lola, Merlin rubbed his forehead with a headache as he complained to Coulson who was driving:

"The young people of our era didn't have these problems... also, can you not wear sunglasses when you drive at night?"

Merlin looked at the sunglasses on Coulson's face and at the road lit by the dim street lights around him, he then says:

"It's making me very insecure."

"Uh, sir. You gave me these sunglasses."

Colson said:

"You should know that it allows me to see the road clearly at night, right?"

"I know."

Merlin waved his hand with slight irritation, he leans back on his seat, and says softly:

"It's just a feeling..."

Merlin's complaint made Coulson shrug, and the latter obediently took off his sunglasses and turned on the headlights, making the darkened road in front of Merlin's eyes clear, even a little dazzling.

"Coulson, tell me this, why do people have secrets? Why do people keep secrets hidden from others? Secrets are followed by doubts, and doubts can destroy precious friendships and cause suspicion and confusion. ."

"How great would this world become if there were no secrets."

Merlin stopped looking at the road in front of him and raises his head to look at the dark sky; he continues:

"I'm starting to hate the secrets that surround me, and the people who keep them."

"Oh, that's a dangerous idea you're having for our profession, sir."

Coulson seemed to sense the repressed irritability in Merlin's heart, he contemplated before replying:

"We're agents, and it's our job to detect secrets."

"All right."

Merlin nodded, and after a few seconds, he suddenly said to Coulson:

"Phil, I know a secret, a secret about the top of SHIELD. A dangerous secret that is closely related to you, me, Melinda, and everyone."

"Oh?"

Agent Coulson turned his head subconsciously and looked at his superior. His face was full of curiosity and inquiry.

Merlin could sense Coulson's curiosity even without looking at him. The corners of his mouth twitched as he revealed a strange smile and  said to Coulson:

"But unfortunately, I can't tell you. Because your clearance level is not enough."

"Oh."

Coulson blankly refocused on the steering wheel and the road in front of him, obviously, this was a slightly nasty joke.

His mood also became bad.

"Look..."

Merlin noticed the change in Coulson's mood, and in the galloping darkness, he smiled strangely and said:

"These secrets that can only be hidden in the bottom of my heart are such annoying things."

For the next ten minutes, the two did not speak.

Colson dropped Merlin to a small remote airport, where a postal plane belonging to SHIELD was waiting for him. Because Merlin was on a special mission this time, his whereabouts were completely kept secret.

By the time the Department of Defense discovered that Merlin had disappeared, he was already in Central Asia.

And just when Merlin opened Lola's trunk and took out his trolley case, he suddenly reached out and pressed Coulson's shoulder, and he whispered in Coulson's ear:

"From now on...be mindful when you work."

"Mmm?"

Coulson looked at his superior with confusion, Merlin shook his head at him, and said:

"Don't trust strangers..."

Merlin looked into Coulson's eyes, and said seriously:

"And just believe in yourself."

"Sir, what happened?"

Coulson asked back, but Merlin didn't answer. He reached out and patted Coulson's shoulder as if saying goodbye. In the dark night, Merlin pulled his luggage and walked towards the plane in front of him, he then replies softly without looking back:

"Don't ask."

"Your clearance level is not enough."

A few minutes later, the readied mail plane soared into the dark night sky while carrying Merlin as its lone passenger.

In the darkness on the edge of the airport, Coulson put on his sunglasses again as he watched the plane disappear into the night sky. He shook his head, restarted his car, and headed back to where he lived.

Coulson could feel that Merlin's words were not groundless.

Something must have happened.

Perhaps, the reason for Mr. Merlin's departure this time was not so simple.

Perhaps he should find a way to investigate?

Merlin didn't know what Coulson was thinking, and after the plane took off, he quickly fell into a long-lost sleep.

He would follow the plane and land in Paris after a few hours of flying.

Then transfer planes there, cross half of Europe, and land in Dubai.

Finally, from the desert city, through the Arab world by other means of transportation, enter Asia, and finally reach your destination.

This is not a trip that can make people feel comfortable at all, but to travel across most of the world to a country with turbulent situation, to find some secret clues, this crazy life can only be experienced by the agents who walk in the dark and on the tip of the knife.

This was how 'wonderful' their lives were.

Three days later, Merlin was sitting in an old, rocking bus full of people.

His outfit at this time was no longer the gray suit that had not changed in ten thousand years, but a very ordinary outfit instead. A half-worn suit, with the somewhat shabby handbag Harry had given him, a pair of rimless glasses, and tousled hair.

It looks no different from those foreigners seeking a living in Afghanistan.

In the sound of the surrounding sounds, full of exotic features and breath of life, Merlin closed his eyes and leaned on the seat full of sweat. He was playing with a badge in his hand as his fingers felt the marker with ten rings nested together on the badge.

After a moment, he looked out the window.

On both sides of the street was a row of two-storey shops, and you can see the mosque in the street from a distance. As far as he could see, several high-rise buildings stood out in this slightly backward city.

Those houses are mostly white, there were few trees on the streets, and the sky above was very clear, at least much bluer than the sky in New York.

The sun was blazing, and at this point, there were few people on the street. The pedestrians walked in the shadows of the buildings to avoid the sun, some in blue waistcoats, some in white robes, and the women on the street all wore oppressive black robes that covered their whole faces while only revealing their eyes.

They were rushing about, living their ordinary lives during these ordinary days.

There were quite a number of cars on the street, but it didn't give off the busy feeling that Merlin was used to, and it even made Merlin feel a sense of quietness. In the hustle and bustle of this unfamiliar place, Merlin felt a sense of unfamiliarity in this place.

This is Kandahar...

A place far from home.

 

4