Chapter 1: Autumn’s Reproach
1.1k 4 62
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As a reminder, I'm only posting this and the prologue today. Updates will be every Monday and Friday.

Hope everyone is having a happy holiday!

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

The chilling breath of an Autumn morning curled through the trees as it emerged into the rolling fields before it. The Dark Forest was home to many mysteries and peculiarities, as well as dangers, its Northern boundary being among its most intimidating features. Beyond the Dark Forest were tall stern mountains home to ice and snow, the chills of which claimed the forest long before the tidings of Winter would naturally bring them to neighboring lands. Even outside of the forest temperatures began to approach freezing, even though it was not even halfway through Autumn.

Even so, the Lumina Knights valiantly remained at the border awaiting their lieges and allies who had ventured into the Forest, now days ago. They all ventured in together at first, but strange powers seemed to oust all save those four. They feared the worst, but stood by, hoping for the best. It was too early to relinquish hope, at least, that’s what they told themselves. Their beloved Captain and Princess, Xenia, would not so easily falter and fall to the powers of some mere witch. They believed that absolutely and without question. And yet, it had now been four days now since they lost track of them, the expeditions of their scouts barely being able to even penetrate the thick foggy forest. If only Mable remained with them, perhaps they could figure out some approach to get in, as well as a plan to find their missing allies.

“Commander,” a youthful knight called out, her long bright auburn hair bouncing upon her iconic armor of the Lumina knights, striking white and red trimmed steel covering her. She approached her trusted commander, Fiona, crossing her arm across her chest an audible rumble and clang. Fiona looked at her, her own long blonde locks caught by the wind, the glittering blue sapphire fastened to the chains of her headpiece glittered in the midday sun as she turned to face her knight.

“How may I be of service, Altina?” She asked, the girl fidgeting as she worked up the nerve to speak. She hadn’t been a knight very long, and she had little reason to talk to Fiona yet. She blushed and fidgeted as she tried to find the words to talk to her respected Commander, a personal inspiration for her own aspirations as a knight. After all, it was Fiona who saved her brother just a few years ago. She wanted to make a good impression, so she took a deep breath as she tried to calm her nerves. “Well?”

“Apologies Commander, it’s just,” her soft voice shook with uncertainty. “The other knights and I have begun to grow concerned. We’ve started to, uh…” she shook her head, reminding herself to retain a knightly tone. “Our resources have begun to wane, and they still haven’t returned. The others are concerned that we might not be able to maintain this,” she frowned, doing her best to remain respectful yet assertive, just like she had been taught. It was still rather nerve wracking though.

“You are not wrong, I am afraid. If this prolongs, we may need to reconsider our strategy,” she said her voice having a slight tremble, Altina looking down with a frown, remorse gripping her for even posing the question. All the knights knew how much Fiona respected Xenia. The two became close friends and allies during their training, supporting each other. It was why Xenia trusted her so much to be her Commander. Altina could hardly begin to fathom how hard it was for her to even consider leaving her behind, looking on with regret as Fiona turned to look toward the forest as she had before Altina’s approach.

“Xenia, would want me to prioritize our wellbeing,” Fiona’s voice was steady, yet deep with sadness. “We should prepare to retreat, should it be necessary,” she said. She was thankful her back was to Altina right now, as she bit her lip, her face showing her deep frustration, but she had to remain strong, now more than ever. All she could do now, was breathe and wait.

“Very well ma’am,” Altina gave a sullen nod. “I shall go inform our strategist then,” she said as she turned, preparing to head to one of the tents. Suddenly, she heard the sound of shifting armor behind her, turning again to face her Commander once more. Fiona stared out towards the forest, Altina following her gaze. To her amazement two horses had emerged from the forest. A dark brownish one and… a white horse, the one their Captain used, Bella! But something was strange. The one riding her wasn’t their Captain, or at least she wasn’t wearing her usual armor, but instead a flowing pink dress.

“Altina, go assemble the others, I shall go meet them and debrief them myself,” Fiona said turning to her, a hopeful look in her face.

“Right away, Commander.”

Fiona made haste down from the jutting hill she stood watch from, winding down the slope, and making her way to the direct path of the horses. She looked eagerly upon them, hoping for good news. But as they approached, she began to become increasingly complexed. “But you are…”

“Greetings, Commander,” the one riding the brown horse answered, her shoulder length golden brown honey-like hair bouncing as the horse slowed to a stop, accompanied by confident crips blue eyes. It was Aria, which did not surprise her terribly much, she may have been a newer knight, but she had seen her develop as a true knight herself. She expected her to return handily. What befuddled her however was the identity of the one on the white horse.

Fiona’s head once swam with possibilities of hostages, manipulation, and even, remorsefully, death. However, the subject whisked away in most of those scenarios was the one descending Bella. The one they had come to repeal a curse for. The curse which turned their beloved Pretty Prince into a slender, girlish, maiden of a princess, losing much of her skills and strength in the process, Saya. They traveled all this way to slay the witch and restore her to her masculine form. If she was still here then… She shook her head rejecting such fears.

“Aria, your highness,” she nodded to both of them. “It is good to see you are well, but I have several questions,” she stated as Saya dismounted Bella as she turned to face her. “For instance, where is the Captain?”

“I am certain you many questions, Commander,” Saya said as she brushed off her pink dress, one which was distinctively different from the one she entered with, before she gently patted Bella with gratitude. Saya looked at her, her long auburn hair sweeping behind her, soft heartfelt green eyes falling upon the knight. “There is much we must discuss.”

The three returned to the camp, entering a private tent as they set themselves down to speak in private, away from prying eyes and curious ears. Fiona could hardly stand the tension as her mind boiled with questions and concerns. The gentle soft faces of the two before her did little to alleviate the mounting anxiety with in her.

“Aria, your highness,” she began seeing them both nod to her. “What is going on here? Where is the Captain? Where is Xenia? And highness you still remain...,” she attempted another question before Aria signaled her to cease, which she did, nodding in answer. It was a rather inappropriate question in retrospect, one which could surface ailing wounds. “Apologies, I am simply rather anxious. Please your highness.”

Aria sighed as she nervously scratched her head, Saya nodding in a dignified manner. “Very well, but before I can answer your questions, I must first explain what has been happening,” she said. She seemed calmer and more collected than she did when she left. She had an air of comfort and confidence that even exceeded her knightly grace before this all began, yet completely devoid of the stern solidity it once granted her. The rigid might had been replaced with a certain gentle softness. “As you certainly recall, we set out on this journey to hunt Phordata Floroma, the witch responsible for my transformation into this form, into a woman. And further that that journey brought us to her home, the Dark Forest,” she explained with a comfortable smile, there was even a bit of a hint of some blushing there.

“I do,” Fiona nodded.

“Well, you may also recall, when we parted ways, my horse had gone out of control and ran into the forest, with sister and Aria pursuing me,” Fiona gave an acknowledging nod. “When they finally caught up to me, she appeared… Phordata,” Fiona gulped as she anticipated what came next, her fears of Xenia’s fate building ever further.

“D-did she…” she gulped.

“She toyed with us,” Aria interrupted with a grumble. “We were no match for her. We did our best, but she just completely out maneuvered us at every turn.”

“Aria,” Saya gave a small pout.

“I know, Saya. It still bugs me is all,” she lamented.

“B-bugs you? Are you meaning to say that you lost? And it simply bugs you?” Fiona boggled. Why were they acting so relaxed, as if this news was trivial and innocuous? It did not seem to have and of the gravitas it should, completely failing to match her nervousness, which only confused her further.

“Please, relax Fiona,” Saya frowned. “I promise you, tis not as bad as it sounds. To continue, after they failed to defeat her, Phordata began saying things to… well… I suppose the best word is to agitate us,” Saya said, struggling to find the appropriate words.

“Agitate? Was she not trying to kill you?” she asked, Saya shaking her head in response. “Was that not her goal? Then what was?”

“We were confused by that as well,” Aria sighed, “but it’s true, she bore no ill will towards us.”

“I believe, she desired to reveal certain truths about my sister and I to us,” Saya said, her body visibly tensing up and trying to keep a steady breath.

“Truths?”

“Fiona. The truth is, Phordata was trying to help us. I cannot say it was in a particularly… appealing manner, but…” she took another deep breath. “Phordata’s spell was not a curse as we were told. It was not a curse to maliciously warp my form, rather it was to awaken who I really am,” she said, grasping her chest and looking at Fiona pleadingly. “The truth is, our journey to ‘restore’ me was always one destined to fail, because this form, this body, it is the true me.” She said trying her best not to get lost in the overpowering feelings that were filling her.

She took a breath, attempting to sort her thoughts. Her intent here was to explain the circumstances to Fiona. She deserved that much after everything she and the others did to help her all this time. Even so, she was still scared beyond her wits of how Fiona and the knights may react. She wanted to be honest, but there was an undeniable fear of rejection, one which nagged at her all while she and the others prepared for this meeting. She wanted to be present during this, but Xenia’s absence wore upon her. Although Aria’s presence still managed to set her mind at ease, she remained unbelievably nervous.

Fiona took a deep breath and gave them a particular appraising look, as if evaluating them, and the gave a quiet chuckle. “I see,” she said with a calm, even comfortable tone, surprising the two. “I suppose I have one question then. Saya, is this truly what you desire?”

“It is,” she nodded with glee and grace. “You seem unsurprised about that though, why is that?”

“To be honest, I noticed how downtrodden you were towards the end. At the time I tried to disregard it as mere pensiveness. But after you all disappeared, I began to suspect that we may have been wrong from the outset,” she gave a gentle smile. “I am glad it seems to have worked out. But…” she frowned, “what of the Captain? Did she…?”

“Xenia took it rather poorly,” Aria interrupted with sour tone, “as did I admittedly, but we both decided her desires mattered more,” Aria gave a dotting look to Saya, which made her smile.

“Although Mable had to help you both realize your mistakes,” Saya giggled.

“Mable? So, then you did meet up with her?” Fiona confirmed.

“We did,” Aria nodded. “After we encountered Phordata, Saya ran off on her own and ran into her. The Captain and I encountered them together a while later.”

“I see,” Fiona nodded. “Then where are they now?”

“Well,” Aria said looking to the floor. “They’re both with Phordata right now,” she frowned.

“T-they are with the witch!? T-then…” Fiona stammered from shock and horror.

“Please relax Fiona,” Saya begged her. “Please, understand they truly are safe.”

“B-but the witch, she…”

“Fiona, the truth is that is not all Phordata revealed,” Saya stopped her, Fiona looking at her with desperate confusion. “There was something else. Something you may find a little more difficult to accept,” she said, hesitation filling her voice as she trembled slightly.

“Something more difficult to accept? What do you mean?”

“The truth is, the royal family has a secret, one that Xenia and myself were wholly unaware of as well. Something concerning our mother,” Saya explained, the hesitation intensifying as it mixed with sadness.

“Queen Elesa?”

“Queen Elesa, mother, she is Phordata’s sister. And like her sister, she too is a witch,” Saya said, Fiona’s eyes growing wide with disbelief, “and by relation, so too are Xenia and myself. In fact, our witch’s blood is why I transformed in the first place,” she looked at Fiona pleadingly, desperately hopeful she would continue being accepting. And yet, as she feared, Fiona seemed to be disturbed by the information, her face twisting with confusion and horror. She may have suspected her desires, but this was different. She was a witch, a being who had mountains of stories and legends that depicted her people as monsters and despotic beings. The shock and apprehension were to be expected, but it was still difficult to see the horror unfold before her.

“Y-you are…?” she said, gripping her head. “The Queen is…? Are all of you…?” her stare becoming frantic and scared.

“Breathe Commander,” Aria stated, coolly and sternly, catching both her and Saya off guard. “I realize it is difficult to accept. We’ve all heard the stories and the sermons, and I can’t say I fully trust Phordata myself. But the fact is, Saya and Xenia remain themselves. They didn’t know they were witches, nor did they ask for this fate, but they remain who they have always been. If anything, as Saya has shown, they’ve become truer to themselves through this,” she smiled as she looked at a very pleased Saya. “If you are stuck with doubt, then please place your faith in me,” she splayed her hand upon her chest. “I’ve been with them both as we learned all of this. They’re still the strong passionate women we’ve all trusted and believed in. Their blood and power don’t change that.”

“Y-you…” Fiona shook trying to center herself. “You are right,” she lamented. “I apologize.”

“No, I understand. I am certain Xenia would too,” Saya smiled.

“Where is the Captain exactly, anyway?” she looked at her expectantly.

“Well…”

* * *

“Are you certain you’re prepared for this?” Phordata asked, her long deep purple hair falling over her right shoulder, wearing a red cloak over her white top and black dress, her equally purple eyes boring into her niece as she approached.

Xenia was wearing an atypical outfit for her, a long white dress, which draped upon her body, yet still trying to cling to her. The way it clung to her made her feel it was closer to a more private piece, a clingy piece of lingerie meant for allurement, although she could not deny how comfortable it felt upon her. According to Phordata it was called a soul dress or a mana dress, depending on who you talked to. They were apparently highly desirable garments that bonded with their wearer, although she was uncertain of what that meant. What she did know was that Phordata had been insisting upon it, stating it was necessary for the operation ahead. She took a deep breath as she steeled herself for what was about to come.

Although she was still uncertain of what it meant to her, she was a witch, born to a legacy of magic and spells, one which had been stolen from her and sealed away by her father. She was still uncertain if she even wanted what she was about to do. A part of her was certainly against it, enraged at the mere consideration, it was both loud and obnoxious. However, a whisper managed to catch her ear. A hesitation, a concern, a curiosity, and a certain scintillation that drew her in. It was as if something deep inside her was desperate to pursue this, desperate for release, and she was incapable of rejecting its wishes any longer.

“I’m more than happy to do it of course, but to make sure you understand, this ritual will repeal the seal upon you. I can’t guarantee or predict if or how your powers will manifest. Few witches have had these circumstances, and I don’t know what their experiences were. Consequently, I don’t know how removing it will affect you as a person. Additionally, you will become unable to live among natural humans as you have until now. At best, you’ll be able to live in secret, hiding yourself or living with other witches, although as you’ve seen that is not necessarily a bad fate. But at worst, you’ll be hunted and demonized until the day you die, and potentially longer. Do you understand?” Phordata explained.

She felt rather unpleasant spelling all of this out. After all she wanted her niece to join her and her kind. But she had no desire to hoodwink her, especially since she already had a life, friends, and desires that could be incompatible. Saya’s awakening was a result of a spell she had cast upon the family line, intending to upend Zerto’s plans, a decision that she still felt at odds with, only compelled by her anguish. That wretched man had already hurt herself and her family enough, and he had pushed her to some truly ugly decisions, but she wasn’t about to hurt them again in such a way. Saya’s situation turned out well enough, but she could not ensure the same would happen again. Xenia chuckled.

“I appreciate your transparency, Phordata, as well as your concern, but I am fine. I may be uncertain if this is truly what I want, but I no longer wish to live a lie for my father’s benefit,” she said shaking her head. “Even if I find to regret it, I refuse to be his puppet any longer. I can no hold pride in his name, Aurelo,” she clenched her fist.

Phordata could only laugh as her doubts dissolved. “I couldn’t hope for a better answer. Then come, let us begin,” she proclaimed as she led her into a round chamber. Phordata’s home held many secrets and surprises in its vast walls, and this massive chamber was one such surprise. The large round chamber reminded Xenia of the bottom of one of the towers back at the castle, only lacking their distinctive spiraling stairs. Instead, it was surrounded by a quiet wrapping passage, separated by large, embellished pillars which took the form of large flowers, particularly statues of lilies holding up the round ceiling.

The room was kissed by gentle sunlight from a large round opening in the ceiling, small bits of dust floating in the air. It gave it the vibe of an ancient altar, pronounced by the large diagram on the floor which resembled overlaying petals, forming a magical circle. It had an ethereal feeling to it, one which Xenia struggled to comprehend. It felt invasive and foreign, and yet there was a comforting nature to it, inviting her in. It seemed to agitate her as she found herself unnerved by the colliding emotions she was feeling. Ever since she learned the truth of her upbringing it felt as if there was something nagging at her, as if an uncomfortable seam in her clothing continually rubbed against her. Her mind and feelings felt unsettled and at odds, and she could not quell either side.

“Taken aback?” Phordata asked with a teasing motion, her finger resting upon her lower lip as she winked. Xenia immediately felt put off by her behavior and struggled to maintain herself as she continued forward. “Hmm?” Phordata hummed as she observed her.

“Is there something the matter?” Xenia asked.

“No, not really,” Phordata gave a laidback smile. “Now then, if you will, I need you to lay down in the center of the magic circle, and then we can begin,” she instructed Xenia.

With a simple deep breath Xenia relinquished her hesitations. She made her decision, and her mind was set. She followed Phordata’s instructions as she approached the center, laying down and placing her hands on her stomach. As she began to set her head down, she found her it meeting a soft sensation. In fact, everything beneath her was softer than she expected. She tried to adjust herself to look at the ground, only to be met with Phordata’s scolding voice.

“No moving,” she chided her.

“Apologies, it is just, I am surprised by how soft this floor is.”

“Heh, so you noticed. I do have to spend a lot of time casting spells down here on my bum after all, so I made accommodations for that a long time ago,” she chuckled. “You can rest easy, my plants will support you,” she explained.

“Plants?” She whispered to herself. Little did she realize, but small branches covered in soft cushy leaves emerged from the large magic circle, supple and soft yet firm enough to push and counteract her disposition. She could only trust Phordata’s words as she proceeded to lay herself down. She heard the opening of the tome Phordata had carried, and a quiet whirring sound in the distance accompanied by the gentle mumble of Phordata’s voice.

“Now, relax and let your mind be free,” Phordata continued. “Take deep breaths and focus on you breathing.” Xenia quietly nodded, adhering to her instruction, slowly breathing in, and then breathing out. Her mind began to drift as she quietly stared into the gentle light streaming through the ceiling, her mind unfurling, as the gentle glow of the magic circle below consumed her.

She thought of the recent times, her frustrations with distrusting Saya, and her consequential contempt with herself. Her mind wandered, recalling their journey, and how she began to slowly drift away from her beloved sister. Why was she so blinded all this time? As if in answer, her mind seemed to catch on an question, on a feeling. When did she become like this? She was not always so distant, was she? When did she begin to close herself off like this?

She felt herself delve deeper and deeper into her memory, to long before their journey began, to before she even became a knight, and she was still deep in her training. “Control your emotions!” the words of her instructor seeped into her mind.

She felt her breath grow heavy, and the weight of the heavy blade in her still growing arms as she swung down. She was upset, angry, and bitter. That accursed William had convinced their father to give her more training, she just knew it. There was no other explanation. She panted as she angrily swung her blade into the dummy before her. “PRINCESS!”

“WHAT!?” she snapped back to her instructor.

“Control yourself! You’re getting too emotional!” he said sternly. It agitated her even further, particularly his equally stern gaze. It was as if he was mocking her.

“As if you even care,” she grumbled. She hated this new instructor. Sir Viren was a talented swordsman, well renowned and respected. She had not minded him in the past, but ever since he replaced her previous instructor, Lady Ayana, she could think of nothing else but how much his instruction upset her. Lady Ayana would always give calm soft instruction, leading her blade with explanations and logic that was both easy to take in and implement, and she did so while listening to her and her concerns. They respected each other, and not once did she feel she had wasted her time. Sir Viren on the other hand would only give her vague directions and teach by performance.

It was not that his instructions were beyond her, but rather it felt as if every time she found success, her efforts were foiled and pulled away. The only thing driving her at this point was the sheer stubbornness to prove him wrong after he mocked Lady Ayana’s teachings. He was not her only new instructor, her father had replaced practically all of them after William insulted her progress, and she refused to let him win.

She prepared her sword again, raising it to her side as she ran towards the dummy to hack into it. But her blade never found its way to her target. “You are out of control!” Sir Viren condemned her as his blade knocked hers away. “You will calm down now, or I will cease your training immediately!” he snarled.

“What do you know!?” she yelled. “All you have taught me is this blasted decorum!”

“And you will master it before we proceed further! A person’s emotions are their greatest weak point, and if you do not cut them free, you will perish in battle,” he stared into her. His critique was scathing, and as she struggled to accept it, but she could not deny his point. Everyday beyond that followed much the same routine until at last his instruction took root, and she could not deny that it helped her maintain her calm and steady her blade, eventually even earning his praise and personal recommendations for service.

As she recalled those thoughts and feelings, a question formed, like small clouds colliding and blocking out the sunlight of her comprehension. She was so certain, but it was becoming difficult to know now. Who was she really? The stern powerful knight that served and protected her people, or was she something else? What was this otherness she felt billowing within herself? She could only begin to speculate as she continued to sink into the abyss of memories.

* * *

“I see,” Fiona sighed dejectedly. “So that’s what she decided.”

“Please, do not misunderstand Fiona. Sister is only…” Saya tried to comfort her, her voice falling quiet as she failed to find the words.

“Captain is only trying to make sense of her situation, just like all of us,” Aria sighed. “In all honesty, I feel in a similar place to her. After learning of his High…no of Zerto’s actions, I have struggled to understand so much. I became a knight to help my kingdom, to help my friends and people, but learning of his actions have made me question so much. I… we…”

“I understand,” Fiona smiled.

“Y-you do?” Saya asked pleadingly as Aria looked at her dumbfounded.

“I am uncertain how to handle all of this information, but I still trust in my Princess,” she smiled, firmly gripping Saya’s hands across the table, “both of you.” She gave a cool heartfelt look. “I believe you and your experiences, and I do not desire to betray you nor your trust.”

“Fiona…” Saya looked at her adoringly.

“Commander, I… we…” Aria whimpered.

“I cannot guarantee how the others will feel, but no matter what happens, I will remain at the ready to assist you all.”

“About that,” Saya frowned. “We will likely be remaining here for a while.”

“What do you mean?” Fiona tilted her head.

“I am uncertain about sister, but Aunt Phordata believes it will take several months before I have sufficient mastery of my magic to depart again,” Saya said dejectedly.

“I suppose learning as we travel would be asking too much?” Fiona lamented.

“Aunt Phordata believes that training in the forest will provide enough mana to grow while keeping us safe,” Saya explained. “Sister will likely be doing the same once her powers awaken.”

“I see,” Fiona nodded. “What do you plan to do Aria?”

“Me?” Aria jumped to attention, Fiona nodding. Aria scratched her cheek sheepishly. “W-well, I was planning to train to protect everyone. When we fought Phordata, I felt so useless. We worked so hard and flawlessly, but she still completely overpowered us, and she wasn’t even trying.”

“I see,” Fiona frowned. “How do you intend to proceed then?”

“I’m not entirely sure yet. I’m not convinced that standard training would be enough,” she frowned.

“Then perhaps, you should try learning to be a spellsword,” a small chipper voice sounded. The three turned to face the entrance of the tent to see the small fluffy pink hair of a gleeful woman entered the tent, her white rabbit ears bouncing up and down as she bounced in place. “Sorry for intruding, I was getting worried with how long you were taking.”

“W-who…?” Fiona stammered.

“You can relax Fiona,” Saya giggled. “That’s my, er, o-other aunt, Honey,” she said with a blush.

“Tehehe,” Honey giggled. “It’s nice hearing you call me that.”

“Honey, what did you mean by spellsword?” Aria questioned.

“Well, you see, spellswords are a type warrior that uses magic to enhance their skills. They can empower their strength, perceptions, and even use offensive spells in combat,” she explained as she leaned over with an excited bounce.

“Heh,” Fiona chuckled trying to keep her calm. “Sounds quite useful.”

“They are,” Honey nodded. “They can also make contracts with magical beings, like spirits and witches to make up for their limited magical energy. In Aria’s case for instance, she could make a contract with Saya to make up for her lack of magical energy.”

“Can I really do that?” Aria questioned, Honey nodding in turn. “I could help Saya like that?” she considered aloud, looking to Saya, who shyly looked away, hiding her reddening cheeks.

“Of course, Phory and I could show you how to do it. We both have plenty of familiars can help you learn too,” Honey smiled at Fiona. “In fact,” she clapped her hands, then curled them, a small blue orb appearing in her grasp. “Come to me, Apsi,” her voice seemed to echo as from the blue orb sprung a small blue haired fairy.

“You called for me Miss Honey?” she asked, her fluttering wings lifting her above Honey’s palm, her miniature blue maid dress flowing around her legs.

“Yes, our little knight here would like to learn some magic to become stronger. I want you to go and inform Vert that I’d like her to teach her,” Honey instructed the fairy.

“Lady Vert? Are you certain,” she looked to the awestruck Xenia. “Can she handle that?”

“W-what’s that supposed to mean?” Aria stammered.

“Please Apsi?” Honey fought back a giggle.

“Okay, if that’s what you want,” she gave a hesitant smile. “Is there anything else?”

“Well, there is one more thing,” Honey looked to Fiona. “We could help you knights learn how to be spellswords as well, if you’d like.”

“I…” Fiona hesitated. “For now, I am going to turn that down. No offense, Lady Honey, but I do not feel comfortable with such a proposal right now.”

“I understand,” she nodded, “but you can always accept later,” she smiled. “That’ll be all then Apsi.”

“Very well,” Apsi nodded. “I’ll head back then,” she gave a small curtesy before vanishing in a flash of blue light.

“Wow, that was… a lot,” Aria scratched her head. “Wow, I’m going to be learning magic. I hope I’m up to it.”

“I am certain you will,” Saya smiled.

“I suppose I will have to keep the others in good shape to keep up with you,” Fiona grinned. “Although, I am uncertain how much time we will have. With you training for the next several months, we will need to figure out a way to sustain ourselves in the interim.”

“Oh, that’s right,” she said, putting her hand into the deep pockets of her dark purple cloak, retrieving a white crescent shaped object. “Here, take this,” she said handing it to Fiona.

“Aunt Honey, what is that?” Saya asked mesmerized by the object.

“It’s a sigil. It will act as proof of your connection to us. We prepared a letter too,” she said pulling out a white envelope as well which had a floral design covered with clouds.

“A letter and a sigil?” Fiona repeated. “What do you intend me to do with these?”

“Take them to the innkeeper in Hollow. We’re on good terms with the people there. They hide us, and we help keep their lands fertile,” she giggled. “The people there are friendly towards magical creatures in general, and they’d be glad to help you if you seek it. If you show that there, the innkeeper will help you find shelter and work until Saya, and Xenia have completed their training.”

“I see,” Fiona nodded. “I thank you for your kindness, Lady Honey.”

“Of course, after all you’ve been so considerate and helpful to our nieces, it’s the least I could do. Anyway, Saya, Aria, we should probably head back. I want to check in on all of them,” Honey said giving a gentle stare.

“Yeah, you’re probably right,” Aria answered, Saya nodding in agreement.

“Oh, before you leave, I had one last question,” Fiona interjected.

“Is there something wrong?” Saya asked.

“It is just, you never mentioned what happened to Mable.”

“Mable? Oh, she’s perusing our library,” Honey chuckled.

“Ever since you suggested researching your magic she’s been off in her own world, hasn’t she?” Aria chuckled.

“That is comforting to hear,” Fiona laughed.

The four left the tent and descended the rolling hill and approached the forest discussing arrangements as they approached the forest’s edge and the pair of horses.

“I see, so you stayed behind hoping not to alarm us then?” Fiona confirmed.

“That’s right. I didn’t want to make things more stressful than they needed to be,” Honey chuckled.

“And I am certain you had no intent of keeping an eye out in case things took a turn for the worst,” Fiona grinned.

“Teehee, maybe.”

“Well, this is where we part ways for now,” Aria said forlorn. “Thank you for being so understanding, Commander. We’ll be certain to stay in touch.”

“Though I suspect it may be mostly you until either I or sister complete our training. I assume Mable will prefer to study rather than venture out with you,” Saya giggled.

“Probably,” Aria chuckled back.

“Until we meet each other again,” Fiona said reaching her hand out, Saya taking it.

“Until we meet again, Commander,” she smiled.

“Saya look,” Aria said pointing towards the hill. Saya smiled as she saw the other knights waving and calling out to them, bidding them farewell. “But, how did they?”

“You all sure have a lot of supportive people around you,” Honey laughed.

“Yes, we certainly do,” Saya said as she joyfully looked upon the waving knights, taking in the moment, memorizing the colors and image in her mind. “I will never forget their kindness,” she looked to Aria with a large smile.

“Saya?” she tilted her head.

“Aria, let us both do our best during our training, okay?” Saya’s smile glowed, Aria unable to hold her own smile back and giving a cheerful nod.

62