Chapter 3: The Swords of Hollow
728 6 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Happy Holidays!

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Four months, a third of the year had come and gone. Autumn settled and quieted as Winter began to descend its blankets of white, like a child pulling their thick blankets over them and snuggling upon a bed of vast rolling hills surrounding Hollow, Mother Earth entering her frosty slumber. Hollow knew how to prepare for such seasons and knew the amount of food to reserve in advance. It was a natural cycle for them, and one of ideal comfort thanks to the support of their witchy neighbors.

This year, however, things were different. While they still had plenty of reserves, they were restricted in the amount they could sell and barter. The townsfolk were not terribly inconvenienced nor displeased, after all it was but a mere act of payment to those who had helped them for so long. But those responsible, those who stood to benefit from their sacrifice, could not help but feel a creeping guilt clamor for attention within them.

The Kingdom of Luxur had made its claim to the far-reaching lands of Ethnerta many years ago, but their grand protectors, the Lumina Knights had never been deployed so far Northward before their most recent quest. Instead, their usual quests keeping them frequenting realms that honored and respected them for their much more local accomplishments. However, here they were mere guests needing another to vouch for them. The guilt of consuming their resources and the unsettling air of the friendly yet wary townsfolk slowly ate away at their morale and former cautions, made no easier by the heavy sheets of cold snow falling upon them. Such burdens anchored themselves upon the Lumina Knights, and none less so than their commander, Lady Fiona.

Fiona had done all she could to convey the truth to the other Lumina Knights, delivering the heavy news of the actions of their beloved Kingdom as well as the fates of their beloved Captain and their new Princess, as well as their relation to the witch Phordata. She feared that she would be alone waiting for their beloved royals but was thankful to find that few had decided to lay down their swords and abandon their cause. There were of course some deserters, but even among those who chose to put down their blades, none desired to betray their Captain, not so readily. Some decided to make their ways for distant lands, while others decided to settle in the quiet town the others now made their base. Although, at present, little difference stood between those who chose to retire and those who still waited as they all took to more mundane and local services.

Fiona kept busy with those who remained under her service, continuing their regular training and seeking to support the town with protection and manual services, yet even still, the town was quiet and absent of their active need save some evasive bandits near the town. There was a pleasant air, one which a part of her wanted to answer and embrace, but she resisted, holding true to her beliefs and honor as a knight.

Fiona took a breath as she looked at the map before her. “Another quiet day, huh?” Rosa gave a relaxed sigh as she sprawled on the nearby sofa, her rose gold hair hanging over the cushion.

“I suppose so,” Fiona sighed. “I must admit, our idle movements are becoming rather draining,” she admitted.

“True,” nodded Rosa. “But perhaps that is because of how many duties the king saddled us with.”

“Perhaps.”

“Commander! Sister!” an excitable woman with dirty blonde hair exclaimed as she entered the room.

“Brooke? What’s the matter?” Rosa tilted her head.

“Aria is here!”

“Oh? It’s been a while,” the elder sister chuckled.

“Indeed, tell her to meet with Cordelia and I’ll meet with her soon,” Fiona instructed.

“There’s more!” Brooke boasted. “The Princess is with her too,” she grinned.

“The Princess? You mean Saya?” Rosa questioned.

“Yep. The Captain apparently stayed behind, but the Commander should definitely come see Princess Saya.”

“Yes, I agree,” Fiona nodded as she rose from the table. “I shall attend to these plans later then.”

The two followed the bouncy Brooke through the door and to the open streets. They had been granted use of a rather substantial building to use as their base of operations of the edge of town, which lent itself well to the rather quick access to an open field for training, although at the current moment it had been hidden by a thick cushion of snow.

Just beyond the street stood several of the knights, some wearing their armor, while others wore more comfortable and casual pieces. At the center of the crowd was a giggling Saya and a grinning Aria. “You’ve really gotten good with that sword Altina,” Aria chuckled.

“You think?” Altina gave a bashful smile as her wavy dark brown hair bounced upon her back, her green eyes sparking with excitable satisfaction.

“You have improved much yourself, Aria,” Cordelia chuckled, as she brushed her long blonde hair over her shoulder. “Your grounding is most impressive.”

“Not if you ask Vert,” Aria groaned. “She acts like being able to stop a boulder is the bare minimum, or something.”

“You have quite the demanding teacher from the sound of it,” Cordelia chuckled.

“Vert is strict, but she is quite kind,” Saya chimed.

“Sounds like you have been enjoying your time there as well, Princess,” another voice interrupted, Fiona approaching.

“Commander!” Aria greeted cheerfully.

“It has been some time Commander Fiona,” Saya smiled.

“That it has. How do you fair?”

“Quite well. My training is going rather smoothly, at least that is what Aunt Honey says.”

“It’s good to see you two are okay,” Rosa nodded.

“Well of course,” Saya nodded. “Aunt Phora has taken quite good care of us.”

“Oh, that’s not what I meant. I was actually referring to the bandits.”

“Bandits?” Aria tilted her head. “This far North?”

“You haven’t seen them Aria? They’ve been skulking that area since around the time we settled here. I’m surprised you never noticed them,” Rosa gave a hesitant chuckle. “Although, I suppose they’ve been quite inactive. No one’s been attacked by them as far as we know.”

“Enough of that, let’s head inside for now,” Cordelia proposed. “Cheryl, would you get the girls back to practice for now while we discuss things?”

“Yes ma’am!” One of the helmeted knights replied before she began gathering them up.

Meanwhile, Saya and Aria followed the three sisters and their Commander back into their base, relaxing at a table to the side of the entryway. Saya’s eyes were drawn to the pleasant feeling of the area. While still acting as a barracks, with spaces to stow weapons and armor as well as other supplies, it also had the appearance of a comforting lounge-based restaurant, full of plush chairs and tables with arrangements of plants and art decorating the room. She smiled as she noticed one of her pieces, a painting of the manakrenia trees she made some months back, hanging on the wall, gleeful that it helped support the knights, as it delicately hung beside the door.

As she sat down, she removed her jacket to reveal the soft cyan dress that Honey had crafted for her. Its soft rippling fabric fell in layers giving the impression that her legs were covered in flowing waves while her arms were left bare save two bands of fabric crossed at her back to support her chest. She shivered with delight thanks to the exposure and sat beside the still armored and chuckling Aria.

“Wow Princess, you’ve somehow managed to get even prettier,” Brooke giggled.

“Thank you, Brooke,” she grinned in delight.

“I must say, I am a rather surprised to see you here. I was under the impression that your training would take far longer,” Fiona began as she set down her teacup.

“Heehee,” Saya giggled. “To be honest, I have been rather impressed myself. I certainly still have a lot more to learn, but Aunt Phory says I should be okay thanks to my progress.”

“So, does that mean you can do stuff like throw fireballs and stuff like that?” Brooke asked excitedly as she gave an eager grin towards Saya.

“Brooke, settle down,” Rosa said, pulling Brooke back into her chair by her shoulder. “We may be in flux with the Kingdom, but she’s still our Princess.”

“You two never change,” Aria chuckled.

“Well, to answer her question,” Saya smiled. “I can make some smaller fireballs, but my affinity is more with water and light magics.”

“Affinity?” Fiona repeated curiously.

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “The way I understand it is that everyone has types of mana and magic that they are more in tune with. For most normal humans, affinities do not carry much significance as their spellcasting prowess is far weaker. However, for witches such as myself, it means that there is magic that I excel with and magic I struggle more with. I suppose you could say that affinities are elements that make more sense to the caster.”

“I see,” Cordelia smiled. “So, I take it that since you are good with water and light, then that would mean you’re weaker with fire and shadow elements.”

“Wow, you know so much Cordelia,” Brooke grinned.

“Tis a good guess, but incorrect,” Saya shook her head, still smiling. “Affinities are not so clear cut. For instance, Aunt Phory has mentioned that there have been some witches who were adept with fire and ice magics, which many view as contradictory, and yet they were lesser with wind, which is often seen as being neutral toward the two.”

“I see,” Cordelia nodded. “Have you figured out your weaker elements then?”

“S-somewhat,” Saya chuckled hesitantly. “Tis rather embarrassing to admit, but I seem to be rather incompetent with Earth magic.”

“You seem?” Fiona echoed once again.

“Hehe,” Aria chuckled, earning a pouting glare from Saya.

“Are we missing something?” Rosa looked at the two suspiciously.

“No, no,” Aria denied. “She’s just a little embarrassed about it. Basically, Phordata hypothesized that her lacking affinity may be because she associates ‘Earth’ elements with muscles and men.”

“But wait, I was under the impression that mana was not gendered like that?” Fiona questioned.

“It isn’t,” Cordelia answered. “But I think I get what she’s getting at,” she said as the pulled her forefinger and middle finger to her lips, cogitating the information. She turned again to Saya. “Saya, does that mean affinities are tied to personality and one’s cognitive state?”

Saya blinked and then nodded sheepishly as a gentle blush covered her face. “Y-yes, at least in part. Aunt Phory says they can both influence each other.”

“What are you thinking sis?” Booke asked eagerly.

“Well,” Cordelia hummed in her thoughts. “If my past studies hold true, I would suggest that affinities may be influenced by associations one makes. For instance, Saya may associate Earth with her time training as a knight, and the men she trained with, as well as swords and other such equipment. After all, we regularly trained in a dirt field and traveled to nearby mountains for exercises. At that point it is not that the mana has a gendered preference, but rather that Saya simply associates the two. And since she rejected those things, it may have resulted in a weaker affinity. In a sense, she is less effective with that magic because it is a vulnerable part of her mental state.”

Saya cupped her face in her hands. “Tis so embarrassing.”

“I-I apologize,” Cordelia scrambled with a saddened look.

“Vulnerable?” Brooke asked with a wily smile. “You mean like...”

“Sister, no lewdness in front of the Princess,” Rosa glared at Brooke who scratched her head apologetically. However, her interference did little to stop Saya’s sudden beating heart.

Vulnerable. Saya had tried to avoid such thoughts when they were brought up before. When Phordata mentioned it, she had referred to it as more of a discomfort and frustration, but vulnerability also seemed applicable. Speaking of how her past affected her perceptions of elements was one thing, vulnerability was another in her mind. She was uncertain if she identified men with earth, but knights, swords, training and stamping the earth in the process was certainly true. There was simply something earthy about all of it. And besides… She glanced briefly toward a laughing Aria. She could only sink into her blushing embarrassment as she thought more about it.

Suddenly there was an abrupt ‘ting’ sound followed by a soft rolling. “Princess!” Aria jumped.

“Oh, how clumsy of me,” Saya said sheepishly as she looked at the sudden brown stain on her dress. “Not to worry, it was no longer hot,” she said as Aria sighed, the other four looking on sadly.

“You may be fine, but it would seem that your dress is ruined,” Fiona frowned.

“Oh, not to worry,” Saya giggled. She brought her hands before her, curling her fingers towards each other, forming a rounded gap between her hands. She breathed in. She breathed out. A gentle blue light began to shine in her grasp, much to the amazement of the knights. The light began to ripple as it grew. It then began shimmer as it lost its luminescence, calming into a floating ball of water. Saya seemed to push it towards herself, the small apple sized ball of water moving towards her dress in response. It contacted the damp brown stain and began to darken with brown colors.

Saya breathed out once more as she pulled away, the ball of water moving away from her clothes, drawing all its moisture away, leaving her dress pristine and clean and dry in its wake.

“Here Saya,” Aria said as she placed the teacup in front of her, as Saya slowly eased it into the teacup, leaving the diluted tea in the cup.

“That was incredible!” Brooke exclaimed. Saya giggled in response.

“That truly is quite impressive,” Fiona nodded in amazement. “Although now I am confused.”

“Yeah, how did you do that?” Rosa gawked.

“Indeed, I know that you’re a witch, but I was under the assumption that you’d need a magic circle and a chant to do something like that,” Cordelia considered.

“Ooh, ooh, or a magic wand or something,” Brooke chimed.

“Well, we can use those things,” Saya giggled. “In fact, I trained with those before, and I still use them for more complicated spells, but witches like myself can use spells innately like this too.”

“Innately?” Cordelia repeated.

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “Witches are capable of controlling the flow of mana simply with our own power. Magic circles, chants, and wands are all instruments that can help with that, which is why many still use them. The way Aunt Honey explained it is that magic circles help give a spell structure, a chant is to channel one’s focus to draw out mana, while a wand is to help direct it. Once a witch becomes skilled enough, they no longer need to use them.”

“Fascinating,” Cordelia smiled as Aria returned with another cup of tea. As Saya set down the cup, the others began to watch in awe. Saya took a deep breath, deeper than any breath she had on their earlier journey and even back at the castle. She breathed in, deeper and deeper, a sparkly and shining sensation filling her as her body seemed to quietly glow. “What’s happening?”

“She’s drinking in mana,” Aria explained. “She does it whenever we eat like this,” she grinned as Saya breathed out, a calm relaxing sensation washing over her. “Feeling better Princess?”

“Very much so,” Saya gave a bright smile.

* * *

She remembered wielding a blade, thrusting it downward, crashing it into the blade of her teacher. A fiery rage filled her heart and blade as she swung again and again, only to be met by that glare. That menacing, cruel glare. He yelled at her again and again, telling her to bind her rage, to put it away, as if it was a toy that needed to be picked up and put away. She hated him and his condescending demeanor. She missed her old teacher. She missed the kind compassionate woman who carefully explained the way the blade flowed, how to define and refine a movement. She never felt these ugly emotions back then. It was only when she and the others were replaced by those thick-headed men who just yelled objectives at her that this rage began to build.

But she could do naught but obey. Her father was watching, observing, demanding she listen and adhere to these absurd and abysmal lessons. At first, she wavered. At first, she struggled. But she refused to lose to their condescension, refused to be the weak pathetic girl they asserted she was. She rose above them, conquering them, laying their own weakness out before them. She had become a knight of promise and praise. Yet now, as she sat, her mind could not help but wonder what the purpose of it all was.

She had been lied to about her heritage. She had been denied her magic. She had been separated, sifted, and compartmentalized by them. Did they treat her so cruelly to force her into this state? For what purpose? For what reason? She could hardly comprehend it now. Her mind just ran through her thoughts again and again, like her hand through her hair, perhaps grabbing a bigger tangle, but nowhere near as effective as a good brush, but she held no such tool to help her thoughts.

Xenia looked at the book in her grasp with uncertainty, releasing a sigh as she relented to the futility. She could not focus. Focus had been something escaping her much over the past few months. Saya seemed ready and eager to explore herself, growing stronger and more confident by the day, while Xenia could only feel herself slip, more and more, as if leaking out through some invisible hole.

“Xenia? Are you okay?” Mable asked as she gave a nervous glance to her across the table.

Xenia sighed again. That was right, Xenia and Mable went to the library to read and study, hoping to release this absurd pressure in her mind. “I am fine,” she lied. “Just agitated.”

“You can always talk with me,” Mable smiled.

“I thank you, but...”

“Xenia, please. I’m worried about you. You’ve been acting so strange the past few months. Every time I see you, I’m afraid you’re about to collapse from some invisible strain. So, please, talk to me,” she frowned.

“I...” she bit her lip. She had been taught not to relinquish her burden to others, to carry it alone, to be a perfect role model to those around her. And yet. Mable’s soft blue eyes seemed to cut through that logic, disarming her. It made her want to collapse into her. She hesitated at the temptation. “Okay,” she nodded.

“Good,” Mable smiled. “Now tell me, what is the matter?”

“I have been feeling very lost,” Xenia explained. “Ever since I learned the truth of our heritage, I have found myself plagued with doubts. I hardly know the purpose of what I have been doing anymore. It feels like I can’t trust anything I knew to be true anymore.”

“Xenia,” Mable frowned.

“Even with Saya. I was taught to ignore her. I was taught to see her form as just another problem, another objective to remove. I became just another instrument that sought to suppress her and harm her. I hurt her, my own sister, all because of what I believed to be true. And if I was wrong about her, then what else was I wrong about. I just...” Mable’s hand grasped her trembling digits. As Mable’s small soft hand gripped hers, she began to realize how much she was visibly shaking, and how much Mable’s touch seemed to soothe it.

“It’s okay Xenia. You... we, may have been wrong about a lot of things. It’s not our fault that we were lied to, but we have a chance to learn and grow beyond that, to grow beyond them and their control,” she smiled.

“Yes, I suppose you are right,” Xenia gave a relieving sigh. “Even so, right now I feel like this pressure is unbearable.”

“I see,” Mable frowned. “I wish I could help you in...” she stopped, a thought catching her mind. “Maybe there is something.”

“Mable?”

“Princess, what if we go follow Aria and Saya. Maybe the fresh air and seeing the knights might help set your mind at ease.”

“I am uncertain. Phordata would be against it,” Xenia sighed.

“That’s okay too,” Mable nodded. “But I’m here for you if you decide to go.”

“Well, I suppose the trip would be helpful. And I’m certain I can fight off any dangers that come our way,” she smirked.

“Of course, you’re the great knightess, captain of the Lumina Knights, after all,” Mable chuckled, Xenia smiling in response.

* * *

“Mm,” Saya released a gleeful moan as she enjoyed the bite of Danish. She was uncertain of the origin of the food’s name. She heard some explanation of it originating from some popular fiction some few hundred years ago. However, such curiosities did little to distract from the intense joy of eating the light pastry. “So, this is what a fresh one tastes like,” she sighed with glee.

“Heh, there’s a reason I always try to bring some back with me,” Aria chuckled. Having wrapped up with the knights, Saya and Aria roamed the streets of Hollow, and headed to order their much-needed flour, and acquiring the scrumptious treats shortly after. With their tasks accomplished, the two sought to enjoy their outing before returning. Saya joyously lapped up a fresh Danish from a local bakery which Aria had come to love on her past meetings with Fiona. She grinned as the princess’s glee lingered in her mind. “Heh, watching you eat that reminds me of that first morning after we left.”

“What do you mean?” Saya tilted her head.

“You just seemed so happy when you ate those crepes. I hesitated to say it at the time, given everything, but you were super cute,” she chuckled.

“Oh? I was cute, was I?” Saya giggled teasingly. “It was pretty hard back then if I am being honest. At the time my mind was buzzing with anxiety, but I think that food was one of the first times I really felt happy in a long time. I was simply allowed to be myself and enjoy something I liked.”

“Saya,” Aria looked at her sorrowfully.

“When we were kids, I was happy being with you all. Back then I didn’t really understand the difference between men and women. I just wanted to be with all of you, and I wanted to be me. I was all the happier for it. But as we got older, and I was forced into that masculine role of a princely knight, it felt like everything I cared for was taken away or constricted. It was like the armor I had to wear became a heavy restraint on me, binding them deep within myself until I stopped seeing how much it hurt. I even forgot how much I loved sweets after my instructors began planning my meals.”

“Yeah, you really seemed to withdraw over those several years. At the time, I tried to believe that you were just maturing, but looking back on it, it was pretty obvious that you were actually suffering,” she frowned. “I feel so guilty, with how I just accepted all of that, and ignored your pain like that. Especially as we traveled. I still feel terrible that I...” she looked to Saya. Her eyes widened as she realized she was no longer beside her. “Saya!?” she turned furiously around, a sense of panic descending upon her. “Princess, where are…!?” her yell fell silent as a snowball hit the back of her head, spinning to see Saya giggling.

“You know, you can be really cute too, when you panic,” she giggled.

“Princess!” Aria huffed. “Don’t scare me like that. And hey, I was pouring my heart out and you pelt me with a snowball!?” her cheeks grew bright she shouted as she threw a snowball back, sending Saya falling backwards into the thick snow. “Oh, no! Sorry, I didn’t mean to...” she was cut off as Saya laughed.

“Tis okay Aria,” she giggled.

“Saya?”

“You were only trying to protect me in your own way,” she smiled softly as Aria stood over her with a pleading look. “I am glad everything turned out this way in the end,” she said as she stood back up, brushing the snow from her pink coat. “No matter what, I am happy now. And I am truly thankful for everything.”

“I just... I’m still not feeling...” Aria took a deep hard breath as she avoided Saya’s gaze. “I...”

“Aria,” Saya whispered softly drawing Aria’s gaze back to her. Aria’s soft hesitant sapphire eyes flew open as Saya’s lips enveloped hers in a kiss, pried open by the abrupt shock then softening from the soft pleasure, causing her to collapse backwards, much to her surprise. Saya could only giggle as she hugged her blushing knight. “Aria, you are my precious knight,” she spoke as Aria’s gloved hand hesitantly reached for her face. “And more than that, you are the one I love. I am no longer concerned with what happened before, so long as I get to be with you. And that means that I want to carry your burdens with you too. So please, let me carry your doubts with you, okay?”

“Y-yeah,” Aria nodded, unable to erase her dumbstruck look. As Saya giggled, she found herself disarmed, giving in to her charms and giggling herself. “Hey, Saya.”

“Yes?” Saya responded with an innocent smile.

“I... the truth is, I have an... appreciation for other women,” she blushed some more, Saya responding with a knowing ‘mm’ sound as she cuddled up to her. “I tried to unlearn it so many times when we were younger. Then when the other knights would make comments about you and me, back then there was part of me that wished I could care for you that way.”

“Aria,” Saya whispered with a sad hushed tone.

“I wanted to be normal. I wanted us to be normal. But I...” she bit her lip. “But even so, my body and heart just couldn’t resist it. My eyes would catch onto other women. I couldn’t help but desire and think about enjoying life with them. I... I tried so hard to swallow it and push it down.” Aria began to cry. Saya feeling weak and helpless as she wept.

“Then when you started changing, I got so confused. I always enjoyed your company as a friend, but as you changed that part of me just... I couldn’t stop myself. Those impulses seemed to break free, and I couldn’t stop them. I tried to stop, since at the time I believed we were trying to stop it. I thought it had to be wrong, looking at you that way. I thought I was wrong. But, then you started seeming to be... interested in me, and then Phordata said this is who you always were, and... and...” she trembled

“Tis okay Aria. There is nothing wrong with your feelings. After all, I am a woman who loves another woman, you,” Saya’s voice was soft and quiet, as Aria’s shaking eyes seemed to caress her in her gaze. “Back before this all started, I was unable to conceive of such pleasures and love, not with myself as I was. But as I changed and as I saw you, I began to realize how much I liked you too. One could even say I am vulnerable to you,” she chuckled with a gentle blush, which seemed to promptly alight Aria’s own face. “And I would not trade our love for anything else,” she continued smiling demurely. Aria’s eyes seemed to drink her presence as Saya drank mana with her tea. Without a moment longer of hesitation, Aria returned Saya’s kiss with one of her own, their warm breath grazing their cheeks as they held each other close in the snow.

“I wouldn’t trade this for anything either, my beloved Princess,” Aria said with a quiet seductive giggle.

“Oh, Aria,” Saya sighed delightfully as she looked into Aria’s eyes. However, her beloved sight was disrupted as Aria’s eyes sharpened with awareness and concern. “Aria?”

“Hmm? What’s that?” Aria asked as she rose from her snowy cushion and looked around the street. A heavy clanging, and thick crunches from the heavy plodding through snow. The sound passed through the quiet street, one both noticeable and familiar. It was then that she began noticing some of the Lumina knights in their armor approaching. “Fiona?”

“Good, you two are safe,” Fiona smiled.

“Safe? From what?” Saya asked.

“Remember those bandits we mentioned?”

“Yes, they have been quiet up until now, correct?”

“What about them?” Aria followed up.

“It appears they were sighted moving towards the main road leading towards the Dark Forest. Our scouts sound like they are preparing an attack of some sort,” Fiona explained.

“But why?” Saya wondered.

“You think they’re planning to attack us as we return?” Aria considered. “But if that’s the case then why move so overtly, and why now. It sounds as if...” Aria’s eyes lit up. “Commander!”

“Yes, you seem to have reached the same conclusion that I have.”

“What are you two talking about?” Saya cowered.

“Saya, if they’re not after us, then they’re after someone else. Someone else coming out of the Dark Forest,” Aria explained with a frightful expression.

45