Chapter 6: The Fated Road
678 3 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As a bit of a heads up, I start going back to school this coming week, and my workload is likely to be more intense as I start my internship. I'm going to try to stay on schedule, but if I wind up posting chapters late, that's why.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

“That was rather clever,” Phordata chuckled as she gave Honey a soft petting, her legs dangling over the moving road below their carriage. “Telling the knights to prepare for departure earlier. All so we could make for a quick departure. You’re so considerate, dear.”

“Hehe,” Honey giggled. “I suspected that those two would convince us. I don’t think either of us are capable of denying them at this point.”

“You’re probably right,” Phordata looked away. “But don’t go telling them. It could be dangerous if they start realizing how flexible we’re being with them,” she wagged her finger, Honey nodding. “Hey, Miss Commander, thank you for helping us out,” she called to the carriage behind them.

“I have a name, I will have you know,” Fiona answered. “Address me as Commander Fiona, or not at all,” she announced before returning her attention to the driver.

“Don’t feel too bad Commander,” Mable giggled, “Phordata is simply really relaxed like that.”

“To imagine that a woman like that is the King fears so much,” Fiona sighed before looking back over her shoulder, looking upon Hollow as it began to vanish into the distance.

“Thinking of the others, huh?” Mable gave a sympathetic smile, Fiona nodding in confirmation. “Worried about them?’

“Not at all,” Fiona grinned. “Rather, I am sad we must part like this. I am going to miss them.”

“Yeah,” Mable gave a soft smile. “They’ve earned the rest though.”

The caravan steadily rode away, leaving Hollow behind as their modest set of four carriages pushed on into the former Ethnertan dominion. Their departure was swift and decisive, collecting a modest selection of the remaining knights to accompany them and departing not long after daybreak. Fiona concluded that keeping a lower profile was in their best interest to travel and perform their mission, yet still felt her breath held hesitation with her sighs. The other knights were likewise hesitant to stay instead of serving their princess and captain but were reassured by the residents of Hollow vouching for Phordata and Honey’s great powers.

Even so, the tension was thick among the caravan for the first several days of their travels, the knights remaining wary of their new witch companions and their demonic client. The scarred terrain around them only resulted in greater stress as they were once again faced with the tragedies committed by their forebearers in the name of their kingdom. Fiona could only wonder as to the complicated nature of the deceased Kingdom. Had they shared similar concerns as she did now? However, as the days ground on into more than a week’s time, her breath calmed as did their collective nervousness temper into calm in the quiet travels, as their new companions became more normal to their routines.

“Is that true?” Altina asked, settling down with her evening stew around the calm roar of their campfire.

“It is,” Abbysia nodded as she returned her spoon to her bowl.

“I never would have imagined hell hounds could be so sweet,” Rosa chuckled. “You make them sound like they’re so gentle and kind. It’s hard to believe that something as terrifying as that would whimper and plead for a simple bone.”

“I mean, they can have a temper,” Abbysia grinned. “I have seen a fair share of men get on their bad side and have to limp off the pain for a week. And their bites can be vicious. But they give the best nuzzles, especially after eating their favorites,” she smiled.

“Wow, I almost kinda wanna meet one now,” Brooke chuckled.

“They certainly seem to be having fun,” Xenia smiled a short way away as she watched the giggling group. “Tis comforting to see them accept her so.”

“I agree Captain,” Fiona nodded. “In all honesty, I believe our time in Hollow benefited everyone well in that regard.”

“Is that so?”

“Indeed. While we may still have doubts, having seen how the people of Hollow live has given us all much to think about. Thanks to the change in perspective some of our elder members took the opportunity to retire and settle amongst them. Some left to find their own paths of course, but even those of us who stayed behind... Well I suppose we simply had the time to take a step back from our duties.”

“How so?”

“Well, take Altina there,” Fiona pointed to the giggling woman. “She joined us because she respected the Lumina Knights for protecting her family. It has taken her time, but she has grown to be a good fighter, but it was always clear she had other interests. While we were in Hollow, she started visiting the local tailors and weavers to learn how to make and mend clothes. The three sisters similarly took time to care for the local livestock.”

“I had forgotten, they originally came to us because they all enjoyed looking at the horses, correct?” Xenia chuckled. “I remember them all wanting to join simply so they could be closer to them. I recall Rosa being very excited at the prospect of riding one.”

“Exactly Captain,” Fiona nodded. “And this served to be a chance for several others to reevaluate their service,” she explained.

“I suppose that much is to be expected. Fath…” she shook her head, “the King has asked much of the Lumina Knights over the years, often more than necessary. There simply was no time to question such things. And even should they had questioned their duties before, the penalty to end service back home was much more significant,” Xenia sighed.

“Yes, their family would be dishonored. Being a woman and defying what is traditionally expected only to falter… I have known few who had the courage to do so, and each them have been pained by the consequences,” Fiona sighed. “And what of you Captain?”

“What of me? What do you mean?”

“You and I have been working together for years now. Since we were simple apprentices. I can tell when something is on your mind,” Fiona explained, Xenia’s expression becoming dour. “And yet, now you seem… different. Cloudier, uncertain...”

“Indecisive?” Xenia frowned.

“I apologize, but perhaps so. However, there is something more,” Fiona sighed. “I am uncertain as to what it is, fragile perhaps, but you also simply feel more… genuine, I suppose.”

“Genuine?”

“In all the time I have known you, you have carried intense duties. As a princess, as a knight, and as our captain. I know you have had to practice great mindfulness due to your roles, but it would seem as though you have relaxed somewhat,” Fiona speculated.

“Relaxed on my mindfulness? Hmm?”

“I meant no disrespect, Captain. I apologize if...”

“You are fine Fiona,” Xenia gave a soft smile. “In all honesty, I have been wavering of late, you are right. These choices I have been set with, they are nothing like what I trained for. I spent so long training to be captain, that I fear I am do not know much of who I am beyond that any longer,” she confessed. “After all I have learned, all of those secrets, I have begun to realize there is so much more to me than being a simple blade. I find it rather difficult, if I am being true. Unlike those girls, I no longer remember what passion used to drive me.”

“I was unaware you felt that way, Captain. I am uncertain of what to say,” Fiona frowned.

“Worry not,” Xenia forced a smile. “I shall figure it out. I have little choice in the matter after all.”

“I see,” Fiona said with a saddened face. “Just know that I am here to support you, no matter what.”

The two stood in a stern silence as their subordinates looked on.

“I wonder what they’re talking about,” Rosa frowned.

“They look really serious,” Altina mumbled.

“Yeah,” Booke nodded. “Oh! Mable!” she called out to the approaching elf.

“Good evening,” Mable giggled as she approached.

“Just getting back from stargazing with the Princess?” Altina smiled.

“Yep,” Mable happily nodded. “She went to go refresh herself before getting food. And what of all of you? How are you all doing this evening?”

“Abby here was telling us about the demon realm. It sounds rather intriguing,” Rosa chuckled. “Huh, now that’s something I never expected to say.”

“I see,” Mable nodded. “So, you always used to live in Revan then?” Abbysia’s expression dropped. “Abby?”

“Not exactly,” she replied. “Our…” she frowned, “…my life has been rather difficult.”

“Did something happen before?”

“Not really. Or rather it was less of a something and more so that it was always how things were,” Abbysia nervously toyed with the hair around her pointed ears. “When Noire, my sister, and I were kids it was just the two of us. I don’t recall the reasons, but we lost our home when we were very young, and our parents were nowhere to be found,” she said with an exhausted sigh. “We were poor and had nowhere to go. We often had to steal to get by. And whenever we were found out, we’d have to leave whatever town we were in.”

“Why?” Brooke asked. “I thought Revan would be nice for demons. It’s where demons live, isn’t it?”

“It is. It’s a pleasant sanctuary, but we were born here in the human’s domains. We…” Abbysia sighed again. “I think our parents were trying to blend in with humans for some reason, and that left the two of us stranded in a place where we were despised. So, when things turned bad for us, which was common, it was often accompanied by people trying to hunt and kill us,” she said as her eyes shook with resentment. “As we got older, we tried to pass ourselves off as simple travelers. We had to pretend we were humans, hide our wings, tails, and ears, and take whatever jobs we could. It took us several years to finally learn about Revan and eventually make our way there. It didn’t matter though. We were always just some foreign creatures, no matter where we wound up. Even back in Revan.”

“I think I can relate,” Mable frowned. “I was the only elf at the castle, and I’ve never known much about my own people, so I can imagine how isolated you must’ve felt.”

“Mable,” Altina frowned.

“I had no idea you were so lonely,” Rosa looked down.

“Yeah, you always seemed so happy and content. But thinking about it you were normally alone back at the castle, huh?” Brooke asked.

“You were the only elf?” Abbysia looked to Mable who gave an awkward glance and then nodded. “I see. That must’ve been very hard on you.”

“It was,” Mable admitted, “but I’ve made some very invaluable friends with the Princesses and Aria,” she looked up to the sky and smiled. “So, it hasn’t been all bad I think,” her lips quivered for a second before she shook out a smile. “And the Lumina Knights have been an incredible blessing too,” she smiled at Rosa and the others who returned with apprehensive stares.

“The Lumina Knights,” Abby repeated. “That reminds me. Why do you all call yourselves that?”

“Well, we’re named after the great Lady Lumina,” Rosa explained. “Actually, I guess maybe from your perspective, she may not be so great.”

“That’s rather curious,” Abbysia tilted her head. “I would think you all would have vilified her.”

“Villified?” Cordelia repeated concernedly. “Why would you suggest that.”

“Because your precious Lady Lumina is not who you believe her to be,” Phordata explained as she approached, Saya and Aria in toe.

“Not who we think she is? What do you mean Aunt Phory?” Saya asked as she and the other two sat down on one of their portable benches.

“Well, it’s all rather complicated, but in so many words, it has to do with the church,” Phordata explained.

“The church?” Aria asked. “What do they have to do with this? I know she’s recognized by the church as a saint, but what else is there.”

“I see, so that’s what’s happening,” Abbysia sighed.

“What is?” Altina frowned.

“The church must’ve appropriated her name and accomplishments.”

“Appropriated?” the knights repeated and looked to each other.

“It’s something the church does fairly regularly,” Phordata shrugged. “It’s like I told Saya and the others about your method of prayer. In truth, that practice was taken from us witches, as that gesture is associated with our meditations and how we drink mana from the world. Historically, the church has been known to identify local beliefs and ideas in order to indoctrinate people. Much like an animal using camouflage. They try to blend in and appear familiar while they pull you into their ways.”

“Remember, I mentioned they apparently did something similar with Christmas a while back,” said Aria. “Apparently they appropriated that from others like the witches too.”

“Oh yeah, I do remember that,” nodded Brooke.

“But if that’s the case, then does that mean that Lady Lumina wasn’t originally aligned with the church?” Aria asked, the others looking at Phordata and Abbysia intently.

“Not at all,” Abbysia shook her head. “In actuality, she actually fought against the church back in her time.

“Wait, really?” Brooke blurted, unable to hide her shock.

“If that is true, then why go to such measures?” Cordelia considered.

“Wait, you believe her?” Rosa asked.

“It sounds rather farfetched, I agree, but given what else we have been told and what we saw on our journey and in Hollow, I hesitate to say that we know much better,” Cordelia stated.

“A wise position,” Phordata chuckled. “As for why they did it, it was to sway Luxur.”

“Sway Luxur?” Saya repeated. “Why would they need to sway the Kingdom, they were always loyal to the church, were they not?”

“That’s actually entirely false,” Abbysia shook her head. “Luxur was actually one of the Kingdoms that fought it back during the fall of the old pantheons,” the others looked at her in bewilderment. “Should I take that to mean you’re unaware of the old pantheons as well?”

“It’s little surprise,” Phordata sighed. “They exist as little more than legends and fables now. The church likes to control its subjects, of course they’d hide those truths,” she looked to the others, her dark purple hair shimmering from the campfire. “Allow me to explain the truth of Lumina and the origins of Luxur.”

* * *

“In the beginning the people of Gaia lived in a state of much greater peace than they do now. Squabbles existed of course, especially between the different peoples. Demons and humans would fight, as would angels and demons, but so would humans and angels. At the time humans fought the others on even ground. It certainly wasn’t harmonious, but the different peoples were just that, peoples. They still traded, collaborated, and valued each other’s presence. Back then we witches were much more accepted as well, and we lived openly instead of hiding as we do now.

“In those olden times, there were also many deities. Beings of immense magical power that stood above all others. These beings were regaled with praise and worship, and they formed pantheons that watched over their different lands. These gods could be arrogant and fickle, and they certainly had their fair share of flaws. Some pantheons interfered with the affairs of their worshippers while others merely granted their protection and wisdom. In a sense, things were balanced.

“However, as time passed, one god began to rise above the others. They embarked on many conquests to slay the other gods. And with his conquests, so too did his actions compel the struggles that would swallow the rest of the world. The angels and collections of humans fought for this god and ushered in an age of violence.

“At the time, Luxur was a very different place. It was ruled by both a King of humans and a Queen of magic. Lady Lumina was the daughter of said King and Queen. She beheld the terror and destruction the god wrought upon the world and sought to stop it. She gathered a powerful force of humans and witches alike, each wielding magic as they fought to save their people and home.

“The truth of many of the legends detailing her exploits were actually against the angels, and not against the demons. One such legend says she managed to halt some great catastrophe before her death, leaving her people to fight without her. For many years after, Luxur remained vigilant against the encroachment of the church.

“That was when the church began to twist the stories of Lumina to their benefit, reciting the stories with small alterations until they had completely reversed her role and desire. And in doing so, the ideals that compelled Luxur as a Kingdom began to shift as well. The tradition of a Queen of magic became one of a Queen who followed the church. And the magic was forgotten with only remnants of how things once were.

“However, there were those who saw through the lies, people who rose against the deceits and trickery. They left Luxur behind and travelled North where they settled anew. They restored the practice of magic, albeit in a much more limited form. They strove to be accepting of others while retaining their identity, much like their forebearers. They offered sanctuary and support to many who were left behind in the increasingly cruel world, offering hope to what people they could.”

* * *

“That Kingdom,” Saya’s eyes grew wide, “was that Ethnerta?”

“The very same,” Phordata nodded.

“I had no idea the legend had become so perverted here,” Abbysia lamented. “Back in Revan, Lady Lumina is still seen as a heroic witch who fought for us and many others. And other lands still bear a bite to her name. I had no idea it had been so corrupted here.”

“That’s not terribly surprising. The stories of Lumina were useful in reforming Luxur to their liking, but in other places I imagine they’d see it as a threat,” Phordata sighed.

“Because of the Lumina Knights?” Cordelia proposed.

“Wait, but why because of us?” Rosa frowned.

“Think of our expeditions to other Kingdoms, sister. Many a people have considered us unsightly for being a knighthood of women,” she cast her gaze down.

“I would imagine that to be the case,” Phordata nodded. “It’s rather a shame. I grew up on stories of the Lumina Knights of old myself. It disheartened me when I discovered that the order had been defiled and so much of your history discarded. Unfortunately, that’s how things played out for us,” the others looked down wearily. “And with that I propose you all get to bed,” she said as she rose to her feet. “We don’t have that much further to go. We should be approaching our destination in the next day or so, and using this time to reflect would do well to ready your resolves.”

“And then I’ll be able to see my sister again,” Abbysia smiled.

“Lady Phordata is right,” Fiona nodded as she approached the campfire. “Everyone should get some rest and prepare for tomorrow,” she instructed, the others nodding as they set to lay their burdened heads to rest.

* * *

“I still can’t believe it,” Altina frowned as her horse strutted beside the wagon on the thin mountain road. “To imagine that lady Lumina was also a witch.”

“Tell me about it,” Rosa shrugged. “It’s rather difficult to believe.”

“Perhaps, but It’s also rather fitting that we would be the one’s to discover the truth like this,” Cordelia said.

“What do you mean?” Altina asked.

“Think of it this way. We, as the Lumina Knights went on a journey to comply with the lies of the kingdom, only to discover the truth, all because of our connection to witches. I actually find it rather relieving to know what kind of people our predecessors were,” Cordelia smirked.

“Yeah. They sound rather incredible when you put it that way,” Altina smiled.

“Stay sharp you three,” Fiona ordered as they passed her slow gallop.

“Yes ma’am,” they responded.

“It certainly has been quite the morning. Would you not agree?” Fiona chuckled as the last wagon approached her, Mable and Abbysia sitting and chattering as Xenia carefully directed it.

“The story Abby shared with them surely struck something in them,” Xenia chuckled.

“Sorry,” Abbysia frowned. “I didn’t mean to cause any trouble.”

“Of course not,” Xenia grinned. “I think it is a good thing they learned the truth.”

“What about you?” Abbysia looked to her, Xenia avoiding her gaze.

“By the way Captain,” Fiona interrupted. “I have been wondering. Where is Bella? You never explained why you left her behind. Did something happen?”

“Tis complicated,” Xenia sighed. “After we entered the Dark Forest, Bella became spooked and left us behind. Phordata managed to find and care for her. But after returning with Saya and I awoke to my magic she has been… quiet since then.”

“Quiet?” Fiona asked.

“Phordata says it may be related to Xenia’s awakening as a witch,” Mable explained.

“Oh, I’ve heard of this I think,” Abbysia brought her finger to her lips. “I believe sometimes animals that are close to a witch may become the familiars of that witch.”

“That’s what Phordata said, yes,” Mable nodded.

“However, with the difficulties I have been having with my magic, it seems to have put a strain onto Bella,” Xenia lamented. “I do not believe we shall be able to ride again until I figure out what is happening with my magic.”

“I see,” Fiona said. “Hmm? Do you all hear something?”

“It sounds like a rumble,” Xenia grimaced as she looked around. Suddenly the wagon came to a halt as the horses began to stamp in place, halting the caravan. “What is…”

“Phory!” Honey shouted a couple wagons ahead. “Something’s coming!”

“What!?” Aria yelped from her nearby horse. “How does she…?”

“Honey can use her magic to observe the space around us. It’s part of her affinity with weather magic,” Phordata explained.

“What is this feeling?” Saya whispered to herself as tremor of a shiver crashed through her.

“Honey, is it those mercenaries again?” Phordata called back.

“No, this is...” Honey cringed.

Suddenly a ghastly roar erupted across the mountain range, stones shaking and trees swaying in obedience to its rage. Saya looked up, her eyes opening wide as she beheld a terrifying beast unlike any she had seen crest the mountain behind them. Even the depictions of a dragon seemed to pale in comparison to the immense creature before them.

Its massive form was like that of a tall muscular beast, thick spiraling horns wrapping upon its head like a crown of roots. Its thick muscular arms were a deep shimmering blue, its veins contrasting as they glowed like fire, etching across its form. Its immense gut flexed and pulsed with every movement, heat waving off it. At first glance alone one could mistake it for a mountain troll, an overly large one pulsing with magic, but such an assumption would quickly be torn asunder by the vast scaled wings that flapped upon its back. Upon closer observation, Saya began to notice scales that seemed to emit flames with its every movement as it marched unceasingly towards them.

“By her light, what is that!?” Rosa shouted.

“A wyrm toll,” Phordata winced. “Nature’s cruel joke on evolution. A troll that has somehow inherited the might and form of a dragon. The few of them that exist tend to stay on the Northern mountains to consume the might of full-fledged dragons.”

“But what is it doing here?” Aria stared in disbelief.

“There’s a powerful spirit East of here. It probably wandered into her domain and she threw it in this direction. It looks like it’s too blinded by hunger to realize it’s no longer on its mountains,” Honey explained. “This is bad though. Its eyes, it’s looking for magic to consume, which means...”

“That beast is coming after us!?” Saya shrieked.

“Just our luck,” Phordata huffed.

“What do we…?” Saya began.

The troll roared again cutting her off. As it eased itself down, it began to breathe in, and in, and in some more. Its mouth began to glow red as it pulled itself backward. Phordata and Honey scrambled to cast spells, but it was too late. It lurched forward, a gleaming red boulder erupting from its mouth, hurtling into the mountain road. The road beneath the rearmost carriage erupted in a plume of flame and dust, collapsing into the sharp decline. Saya watching in horror as her sister and friends fell to the forest below.

“Xenia? Mable?” Saya’s voice shook with horror. “F-fiona, Abby,” she stumbled. “NO!” she shrieked as they were sent plummeting to the dense woods below.

“Phory, take care of the others,” Honey shouted as she leapt from the top of the carriage over the cliff towards them.

“What is…” Saya reached out helplessly as Honey dove past her. “No, this cannot be real,” Saya shook as she saw them vanish into the thick green and white clad trees beneath them. “Th-they all...”

“Will be fine,” Phordata finished her sentence placing a calm hand onto Saya’s shoulder. “Honey will take care of them.”

“H-honey will? But how?” Saya whimpered.

“For the moment, without Fiona… Aria!” Phordata called to the young knight who shot an anxious look at her. “Order the knights together, we have to stay together!”

“R-right,” Aria answered. “Everyone listen up!” she called out as she grabbed the attention of her fellow knights seeking to calm and collect them. However, Saya could pay little attention to them as she looked frightfully over the edge. She hardly noticed that the sunlight had been hidden away as Phordata conjured a thick wall of roots, leaves, and vines to protect them from any other airborne assaults. “Phordata!?” Aria called, her anxious voice full of surprise and awe.

“It’s started,” Phordata grinned.

“What has?” Saya sked, prying her eyes away to look upon her aunt with confusion.

“Don’t you see it? The fog creeping up?” Phordata pointed. Saya blinked as she saw the hints of wisping white emerge. She was right. A plume of fog began to reach up and out of the forest, tiny cloud like fingers rising high into the sky.

“What is…?”

“Aria!” Phordata called out again. “I need you all to stay in place until this passes!” Aria nodded. “I’m counting on you my little bun,” she whispered as the thick wall grazed the lip of the road, much like the woods below.

 

39