Chapter 8: The Dance of Doubts
505 8 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As a reminder, I've started school again today, so posts may be wonky from here on. I'm going to try and keep on top of things though.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

The wheels of the carriage continued to creak as they rolled upon the stone path. Thanks to Phordata’s spells, they had managed to find a covert way down from the high road and onto the main road. In most places that would mean a plain dirt road, but as they approached the noble’s manor, the road became beautifully paved with neatly laid cobblestone, shining from its regular maintenance.

Saya looked upon the fanciful carriage, its plain demeanor replaced with a gorgeous façade of beautiful curves, embellishments, and paints. She could hardly believe it was the basic plain carriage they had left in. It almost seemed nicer than the one she rode in before, from the outside at least. The inside was still rather plain, if cozy, betraying its extravagant exterior.

“Explain to me again how you did all of that?” Aria asked.

“Hmm?” Phordata grunted. “Very well. Please try to follow along this time. This carriage is primarily made of wood, the body of a tree, a plant. Because of my affinity I can grow and mold it to my liking. That allows me to change its form as I like. And this carriage was made specifically to harmonize with my magic.”

“That part I get,” Aria said. “You control plants, and therefore you can work with the wood of a former plant,” she shrugged. “But where did you get all the paints?”

“Plenty of paints and dyes come from plants, Aria,” Saya explained. “I imagine that she was able to use those attributes to color the carriage as she desired.”

“Very close Saya,” Phordata grinned. “But more specifically I chose which tones and colors get expressed over others. Although, much of my research suggests that that potential and the dyes and paints plants produce are connected,” she chuckled. “I don’t have anything conclusive though.”

“I see,” Aria scratched her head. “I never expected plants to be so versatile,” she chuckled. “It’s rather interesting honestly.”

“I agree,” Saya giggled. “Although, all this talk of paint is making me want to paint this gorgeous scenery,” she said as she looked out the window.”

As she gazed into the open plains beyond the forest, her mind began to wander. Her worries for her sister and friends were of course at the brim of her mind, but other concerns were beginning to pry her attention away.

After conquering the Wyrm Troll, Phordata had explained the nature of Honey’s elemental form and the safety of the others. At the time Saya simply expected to wait for them, but after a brief amount of time Phordata suggested a different plan. After all their traveling, they were already rather close to the noble’s manor, which meant that they could all simply meet at the manor with little wasted time. This led to Phordata’s proposition. Instead of immediately reuniting, she suggested using their misfortune to their advantage.

The plan was relatively simple. Saya, Aria, Phordata, and the Lumina Knights would pose as typical visitors to the manor and distract the residents as her sister and the others snuck in to rescue Noire. They would confront the noble from two points to garner as much control as they could. That was however before the other issue presented itself.

“Speaking of being fancy,” Phordata said tossing a dress over to Aria. “You’ll be dressing up in that.”

“I-is this necessary?” Aria blushed.

“Like it or not, this noble is going to be having a ball tonight. And you presenting as a noble woman is far more beneficial than being just another knight,” Phordata explained. “Besides, you two can take the opportunity to enjoy yourselves,” she chuckled.

“I suppose so,” Aria said looking at the dress. She darted her hesitant eyes around to see if anyone was looking before giving a quiet smile to the cloth. It was a rather thrilling idea to attend such a regal function.

“By the way, what is the ball for anyway?” Saya asked.

“I’m not sure,” Phordata shrugged. “Honey and I can use our affinities to spy, but our specialties are more visual than auditory. All we know is that there’s a lot of noble types gathering and clearly ready to dance. If I had to guess, maybe his daughter is courting suitors or getting married.”

“Courting suitors, hmm?” Saya mumbled. She felt a quiet pang of discomfort as she wondered what such a thing would be like. She never had the chance to do anything of the sort, although she did not find the idea of finding a man to be her suitor to be a pleasant one. Even so she still lamented not having the experience.

* * *

“Perhaps it was for the best I never had to deal with these sorts of events,” Saya whispered to herself as she heard another set of footsteps approach her.

“My, aren’t you a ravishing one,” an elegant man’s voice chuckled from behind her. Saya turned to face a gentleman wearing a set of black pants and a shimmering red jacket, a cravat nicely folded over his chest with as much care as his fine wavey hair. His eyes caressed her with great adoration, with the charm that she had seen in elegant paintings of majestic knights and princes as the accompanying princess gazing back with desire in turn. It made her squirm with discomfort. “May I have your name, my beautiful rose?” he took her hand into his and lifted it up, punctuating his greater height.

“S-saya,” she stammered as she began to regret her circumstances. What unfortunate luck she had. Phordata had a plan to attract attention so the others could sneak in, but in the interim as she waited, she was left alone. It was not long before she felt bombarded by an onslaught of men approaching her all with the same intent. She wondered where Aria and the other knights were now, as they had been dispatched through the party to assist Phordata’s plans.

“Saya? My what a fitting name for such a beautiful girl,” he grinned invitingly. She quivered. “From where do you come from my lady?”

“L-Luxur,” she answered as her eyes resisted looking into his.

“Luxur? My what a coincidence. My family lives in Gelin. I am certain I could show you a truly wonderful time, should you grace my fair city with a visit, my lady,” she gripped her hand.

Gelin, she remembered it well. It was where she had met Hannah a few months ago. She began thinking of her friend. The last time she had seen Hannah was around the time that she began to realize how she desired to stay as she was. They parted on good terms, but heavy feelings left their parting awkward feeling in her mind. She thought of how nice it would be to meet her again. After all, at the time she believed herself to never return in this form, though that regret was no longer her burden.

“I guess so,” Saya gave a limp answer to the man in as she struggled to pay attention, failing to grasp his intent. Her eyes drifted to the center of the ballroom where couples were dancing. She stared longingly into the crowd as she recalled her dance with Aria back in Hollow. It certainly would be nice to do it again.

“Are you interested in dancing?” the gentleman asked.

“It does sound nice,” she admitted.

Suddenly she felt an alien sensation as the gentleman wrapped his arms around her. Her eyes grew wide as she was pulled to star into his chest. “Then let us dance my beloved,” her skin crawled from his words. As he tried to pull her in, she tried to push him away, but couldn’t find the strength that was needed. “Now shall we my lovely rose?”

“Not so fast,” a familiar voice objected. He turned to face the voice, giving Sayathe space to squirm away and see for herself. Aria stood there, a hand on her hip, long red gloves traveling up her beautifully toned arms as her beautifully matching red dress hugged her body before cascading off her hips. She glared at the man.

“May we help you?” the gentleman asked.

“How about you back off.”

“What are you…”

“Are you so dense that you can’t even notice when you’re not wanted,” she glared as she moved to pull Saya to her side. “Or are you so arrogant that you can’t see her discomfort?”

The gentleman became less gentle as he snarled. “Listen here wench, what we intend to do with each other is none of your business,” he said as he reached for Saya.

“No!” Saya yelped as she hid behind Aria. The man looked at her with confusion. “I have no interest your company,” she protested.

“No interest!?” his eye twitched. “You don’t get how this works, I…” he began as Aria turned and pulled her away. “Wait, where do you think you’re going,” he grabbed and pulled at the unarmored knight. Aria anticipated such a move, and turned into his grab, slamming into his chest, forcing him into the table beside them, Aria feigning a trip, only holding onto Saya’s unexpected grip.

“A-are you alright?” Saya asked.

“I’m fine,” she nodded before leaning in. “I used a little magic to ground myself. This way he’ll be too embarrassed to approach you again,” she whispered with a wink as she ‘recovered’ her balance. Saya nodded as they walked away, a collection of the nobles laughing at the gentleman who sat there, flabbergasted by the turn of events.

“Where were you anyway?” Saya pouted. “You have no idea how lonely I have been.”

“Heh, sorry,” Aria chuckled. “I had to get changed, and Phory still wanted me to do a couple things before I came to find you. Hope you nothing bad happened.”

“Ugh, it was horrid,” Saya crossed her arms. “They would not leave me alone, and they all act like I am some starstruck maiden who is swept up in their absent charms,” she huffed.

“Haha, I had no idea you had such a harsh tongue,” Aria laughed. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d start thinking my princess was spoiled rotten.”

The two walked around the ballroom, a number of other so called ‘gentlemen’ giving their own attempts at charm with their pitiful excuses for pleasantries. Saya felt an odd sensation pass through her as it continued to happen, grabbing at her chest.

“Saya? Are you okay?” Aria asked.

“I am fine,” she nodded. “Tis just…” her eyes darted to the side. “You are acting rather casually from all their advances is all,” she frowned. “Does this happen regularly?”

“Right,” Aria chuckled. “I suppose this is the first time you’ve been surrounded by men like this, huh?” Saya nodded. “It’s fairly common. Most of the time most of us would just be annoyed with such aggressive advances, but an amount of the other knights would sometimes appreciate it. It’s funny I guess I never really got it until now,” she chuckled.

“You understand it now?” Saya pouted.

“N-no, don’t take it that way Princess. That’s not what I mean,” Saya looked up at her confusedly. “I just mean I, uh, kinda get how they would enjoy it since I enjoy how you, uh… shower me with your attention,” she blushed as she tried to sound poetic. “D-does that make sense?”

“Sort of,” Saya giggled. “But would you get treated this way normally? By men I mean?”

“Yeah,” she shrugged. “It’s pretty annoying, like you said, especially since I never find any of them interesting.”

“D-do you find them intimidating?” Saya asked.

“Saya?”

“Tis just… I think this is something I never really considered. This treatment I mean. Back before I changed, men would have such a different energy when talking to me, as if awaiting my thoughts. But the way the men here are treating me, it is as if they only see me as some… thing,” Saya quivered. “And what they seem to want of me is quite unpleasant.”

Saya trembled before Aria. Aria let out a soft sigh as she pulled Saya into her embrace. “It’s okay Saya. They may see you as a maiden to be claimed, but I won’t let them have you,” Saya let out a soft sigh. “How about this, let’s take your mind off of things with a little dance, okay?”

“Will others not begin to suspect us of…” Saya objected.

“It’ll be fine. Plenty of women dance with each other at occasions like this. Besides, if they choose to judge us, let them,” Aria chuckled. “I’ll lay them out if they pull anything,” Aria winked, Saya nodding with a reassured breath. “You remember how to dance, right?”

“Of course,” Saya nodded. “It has not been that long since we practiced at Aunt Phory’s,” she giggled.

“True,” Aria giggled as she took Saya’s hand in her own, and they held each other’s waists. The two swayed to the music, Saya’s eyes slowly easing, as her tense lips began to slip into a pleasant smile. Aria stared into her brilliant eyes an took a deep breath. “Goodness, you’re gorgeous,” she smiled.

“I could say the same of you,” Saya giggled. “This is quite nostalgic, would you not agree? It reminds me of the festival back in Hollow.”

“Nostalgic?” Aria repeated. “Yeah, I guess it kind of does,” she grinned as she continued looking into Saya’s eyes. “Hey, uh, Saya?”

“Yes?”

“Do you remember how we met?”

“…it was at a ball, correct? Like this one.”

“Right. My father brought me. We were both still rather young.”

* * *

“I remember now, I must have been about four or five years old at the time. I believe it was a dance for Xenia’s sake. She was getting a lot of attention that night if I recall. I believe it was her eleventh birthday. Does that sound right?” Saya swayed to the beat as she recalled the elegant yellow golden colors of the ballroom.

“Not quite, it was actually to publicly announce her as the third heir,” Aria explained. “I remember because we hadn’t had the chance to meet before that since Father was convinced I was too young. I had to beg father to even let me go since I wanted to see your sister. I had heard she was absolutely beautiful, and I wanted to see her myself,” she chuckled. “Although you weren’t there at first,” Aria grinned as they floated across the brilliantly red carpet.

“I was not present? I apologize, I do not recall where I was,” Saya sighed.

“Well, that’s part of why we met,” Aria chuckled as Aria looked at her curiously. “It’s rather funny in hindsight, but we met because father was called to scold you.”

“Scold me, whatever…” her voice calmed into a hush. “Oh…”

“Yeah. You were fighting the maids over your clothes. You were screaming so loud,” she chuckled.

Saya gripped Aria’s hands. “It really hurt you know. I did not understand it at the time. I saw my sisters in their dresses, and I had even found one I wanted to wear, but they refused to let me wear it. Thinking about it now, I remember it rather well. It was a gentle blue dress, with small white flowers sewn in around the waist. It was so precious, and I pined to wear it.”

Aria gazed into Saya’s pained eyes. “You won that day though. Father was sent to scold you, but you were so stubborn that he gave up. I think he broke when you started crying.”

“Oh, yes,” Saya’s eyes eased. “I think you also a hand in that. I recall something about you telling your father that he should ‘just let her wear it,’ or some such.”

“Yeah. Truth be told, I think at the time I… er…” Aria stumbled on her thoughts and words. “I don’t know how to put it given everything, but I guess I saw you as a girl at the time.”

“Well, I have heard people say that children can be rather perceptive and honest with their feelings,” Saya giggled.

“Guess we should’ve listened to ourselves back then,” Aria chuckled as she began to spin Saya. “Would’ve saved us both a lot of grief,” she said as she caught her.

“I think so too,” Saya said leaning her head into Aria’s bosom. “It really made me happy that day. I did not yet understand that I was not allowed to be a girl,” she said quietly. “But I got to be one anyway that day. And I got to be one with one who supported me.”

“I just wish I realized sooner so I could’ve supported you better,” Aria lamented. “Looking back, it was quite clear how feminine you always were. Not just in gentleness and soft appearance, but in how you held yourself,” Aria fell silent. “It’s like you said before, back in the forest. You always wanted this. We just didn’t listen.”

Saya breathed gently upon Aria’s chest as they swayed in place, Aria gazing upon her. “Saya, I’m sorry.”

“You have nothing more to apologize for,” Saya muttered.

“That’s not true. Back then when we were growing up. Back when I surrendered and began to see you as a man. Back when we began to grow distant. I think it was because I missed how you were. If only I had just supported you, maybe you wouldn’t have suffered. Maybe I could’ve helped you be happier. Maybe…” Aria’s lips were stopped by Saya’s finger gentle press.

“Hush. I do not blame you for any of that,” Saya shook her head. “I am just glad we get to be together now,” she smiled.

“Yeah,” Aria nodded. “I’m glad too,” she pulled Saya close as they slowly danced, Aria’s breath matching Saya’s heartbeat as she held her close.

Saya could feel her cheeks grow with warmth as they danced, feeling the gentle push and pull of her partner and her greater sense of water granting her a soothing feel of the pulse of Aria’s body. She felt she could go on forever, quietly drinking in Aria’s presence.

“You there,” a deep voice barked, forcing them to part. “What are you two doing?” a large knight questioned. Saya quivered at his glare as it reminded her of her old Captain, Kergo’s brutal and blunt directions. It was as stern as it was edged with contempt. She had forgotten how scared of such a glare she was when she was a child, forced to numb herself to such fear as it was pelted at her day after day. But she had since shed such training, once more leaving her vulnerable and frightened before the knight. The knight’s eyes homed in on their gripping hands. “I expect a suitable answer,” he bit, Saya trembling.

“I was merely granting my lady a chance to enjoy herself,” Aria answered with a confident grin.

“Aria,” Saya whispered, Aria giving a cheeky wink.

“Enjoyment? Is that what you call this disturbing affair?” the knight continued coldly. “I hear you’ve been quite the mockery of many nobles this eve.”

“I promise we have no idea what you’re referring to,” the knight directed their sight to several of the men who had approached Saya, including the bachelor from Gelin that Aria had humiliated. “Ah, yes, them. I hardly call turning down their advances a mockery. Although their protestations certainly make them rather mockable,” Aria chuckled, Saya giggling in turn. “What are you giggling about?”

“That’s the kind of comment Aunt Phory would make.”

“Ah, geez, I don’t know how to feel about her rubbing off on me,” Aria sighed.

“Enough!” the knight banged his spear on the ground, signaling to other knights to move in. “It is rather apparent that you two have much to answer for.”

“W-what?” Saya asked.

“Crap, I heard the lord of this manor was deep with the church, but this is ridiculous,” Aria sighed. “Saya, stay behind me,” Saya nodded to her command.

The knight moved in, reaching for Aria’s shoulder. Aria breathed in as she recalled Vert’s instruction. She channeled the mana into her feet and hands, drawing upon the hidden soil beneath her feet. She thrust her fist forward with the same focus and strength as a stab from her sword. Her knuckle crashed into the soldier’s armor, the forceful punch continuing as the armor crumpled in toward her fist before it tore through entirely until the jab landed just below the knight’s chest. The knight stumbled back from the impact, grabbing at the hole in his armor.

“Saya,” Aria’s voice took on a commanding presence. “When I say run, we run for that hallway over there, understood,” she pointed to the hallway before them. Saya nodded in response, taking a deep breath to focus on their goal, disregarding the sudden swell of suspicious energy building around them. They had become the center of attention, and several knights were quickly closing in upon them, but she could not focus on them. “NOW!”

The two dashed for the hallway, the clangs of the armor behind them tearing into their ears. Saya grinned as she noticed a plant near her, its leaves seeming to twitch as they entered the archway. As they ran, they came to a split in the hallway, hesitating upon their decision, the knights closing in.

A sudden crash echoed through the hall, tearing their attention behind them. There was a rupture of frightful screams. Even their pursuers had to look behind to assess the sudden chaos. Only three knights had made it into the hallway, the vast remainder of their force now barred and distracted by a collection of thick wriggling vines, some of which gripping upon the archway to halt any further trespassers.

“I’ve got to admit, I wasn’t expecting you to do something so reckless,” Phordata chuckled as she emerged from the path to the right of the split.

“Aunt Phory,” Saya called excitedly.

“Does that mean?” Aria asked.

“Everything is in place. We just have to wait for them now,” Phordata explained. “In the meantime, little knight, why don’t you show me how much you’ve grown,” she said looking to Aria, her hand pulling upon some invisible object in the air, conjuring a slender sword from nowhere and tossing it to Aria.

“Your teleportation magic is pretty useful,” Aria grinned as she stepped forward, as she rolled her shoulders and prepared for combat. “Alright, you bastards, who’s first!?”

The knights stammered, looking to each other as they gathered their wits before turning back to Aria, sharing a resolved nod. The three rushed her, believing there was no way that her strange tactics would prevent their overpowering her. Aria chuckled as the first closed it, taking a stern stance, leaning into the assault, magically binding herself to the ground. She released a fierce glare matched only by her fierce swipe which tore through the first knight’s armor, forcing him to the ground.

The second knight swung his sword, Aria dodging backward, avoiding its edge. The third followed, his blade plunging downward, caught by Aria’s blade. She grinned and chuckled. “You’ll have to try harder than that!” she declared as she moved in towards the knight, much to their shock, as she slid her foes blade to the side and made a swift cut, slashing through the stiff armor, sending the man to the ground as he grabbed for his bloody wound.

The final knight looked on in shock and shook his head, throwing his sword to the ground as he desperately tried to escape before recalling that the hallway was now blocked by the mass of vines. The knight looked on in horror as fear creeped into his heart. He looked back with horror, but his sight never reached the horrifyingly powerful adversaries he confronted, as a loud thud sounded from his side. Aria crashing the blunt of her blade into the man’s shoulder, the fear and pain incapacitating him.

“That was fairly easy,” Aria chuckled.

“Indeed,” Phordata chuckled. “You’ve done well little knight.”

“What do we do now?” Saya asked.

“Well, I’ve accomplished my objectives. With any luck the people in here will be fleeing in panic, and they’ll run directly towards the entrance. Once there, my plants will spew enough pollen at them that they’ll all fall asleep for long enough for us to get Abby’s sister and leave,” Phordata explained.

“Then all we need to do is wait for Captain Xenia and the others to handle their end of things, right?” Aria confirmed.

“Quite,” Phordata nodded. “In the meantime, let’s finish cleaning up here so that they don’t get ambushed on their way out.” Phordata waved her hand, the thick vines retreating as a selection of knights stood with a furious disposition. “Now, to lay these petulant ones to rest.”

36