Chapter 15: The Calm Before
431 5 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

 

Dark clouds hung in the air, a sharp pop sizzling the air as lightning arced from cloud to cloud, the moisture boiling with energy. The midday sun had long since been swallowed by the sudden abyss of clouds overhead, the patches of white snow being the only sources of light as fractals grazed their glimmering crystals of ice. A dark robbed woman stood atop the cliff overlooking Gelin analyzing the situation from above, her green hair drawn into the winds around her. She took a deep breath before turning and returning to the cave-like entrance to the manor she served.

“How are things out there?” the young demoness asked. Abbysia’s dark purple hair fluttered about as she stood patiently at the top of the stairwell to greet the woman. The hooded Vert emerged only to receive a quiet shake of her head. “That bad?”

“It’s worse than we thought,” Vert grimaced. “There is no harm yet, but it’s only a matter of time,” she bit her lip. “Where are the others?”

“Recuperating in the meeting room upstairs,” Abbysia responded, Vert turning to head down the hall, Abbysia following her.

The two climbed the stairs and followed the hall to the familiar doors where Saya and the others had first met Abbysia. The succubus trembled with uncertainty as she entered alongside Vert. “We’re back,” Abbysia said, drawing the attention of the others. She silently shivered upon glancing at Aurith and Nerivi. She knew they weren’t hostile, but their stern knightly appearance still gave her pause. She gave a small smile as Yule invited her to a seat next to her and Mable, while Vert stood before the table at the center of the room.

“You seem disturbed Vert, what did you see out there?” Xenia asked.

The wind spirit removed her cowl and hung her jacket neatly over her arm. “Unfortunately, things are worse than even I expected. While things are quiet around the town, the winds are gathering at the center of the storm, as is the lightning.”

“In other words, she’s gathering power,” Phordata postulated. “And if it’s bad by your standards then I imagine she’s gathering quite a bit of it.”

“But what could she possibly do with that much energy?” Abbysia wondered. “Is she trying to cast a spell? Or perhaps summon something?”

“I doubt it,” Mable shook her head. “From what the others said, she’s quite proficient with her spells, and is already quite powerful, so I doubt she’s calling something even stronger. Yet gathering this much energy simply to cast a spell to fight us seems inefficient.”

“Mable’s correct,” Honey frowned. “Unfortunately, it’s more likely that she’s trying to access her elemental state.”

“Elemental state?” Nerivi questioned. “What’s that?”

“It is a powerful state of magic that witches can achieve,” Saya explained. “Aunt Phora says it is a great form of power based on our affinities. Am I right?” she looked at Phordata concernedly.

“Yes, that’s correct. Saya and the others witnessed our elemental forms back near the Winterfell Forest. In that state a witch has immense control over the mana around them and can accomplish great feats,” Phordata explained. “And they only saw a sliver of our greater might in our forms.”

“I’m confused though,” Aria tilted her head. “When you did it, it was a lot quicker, and it was far less dramatic than this,” she frowned. “Well, in terms of how you gathered you magic anyway,” she chuckled. “Seeing you turn into a plant woman was rather dramatic,” she scratched her cheek.

“Yes, you quietly drew mana in from the environment and then transformed,” Saya corroborated.

“That is true,” Honey nodded. “However, we’ve both had to work really hard over many years to garner that kind of mastery.”

“Wait, are you saying that this witch is relatively young then?” Abbysia wondered.

“That is likely the case,” Vert nodded. “Their process from what I could see was woefully inefficient. Although, even older witches may struggle with such mastery, that lack of finesse implies to me that she is wildly grabbing at whatever energy she can grab at. The span of the storm extends well past the city’s limits and into the nearby forests.”

“Which is a problem,” Phordata continued. “If she’s that reckless, then that means she’s putting everything around her at risk too. That kind of range and greed for energy will likely lash out around her as she finishes awakening her elemental state.”

“Is there anything we can do?” Nerivi asked.

“Honey would be the best one to answer that since it’s closest to her style of magic,” Phordata looked to her wife.

“Well,” Honey stroked her drooping ear. “I think Vert and I may be able to try and cut off the reach of her magic, thanks to her inexperience, that may collapse the whole thing. It should at the very least slow her down.”

“I see,” Aurith considered. “I take it that is no guarantee though,” Honey nodded. “Phordata, Honey, would I be correct to assume that she is vulnerable in this state?”

“I wouldn’t say vulnerable, but she will likely be volatile,” Phordata answered. “If you’re suggesting the rest of us attack her while Honey and Vert cut off her magic then I would have to agree, but it would also be rather dangerous.”

“I suspect the danger lies in her unstable energy?” Xenia considered. “It may provide us a chance to attack her, but the damage she could deal may likewise be amplified.”

“I see you’ve started to understand how mana flows now,” Phordata smirked. “You’re absolutely correct. Being cut off would likely cause the magic in her to begin dispersing, which will make her unstable, but her powers may spin beyond her control as well.”

“And if we wait her out?” Nerivi pressed.

“I would suspect that she may be able to figure out where the interference with her mana gathering came from, meaning she’d likely attack Vert or myself,” Honey theorized.

“Then, dear, how does that sound?” Nerivi turned to Aurith.

“Nay,” Aurith shook his head. “That is unacceptable.”

“Why’s that?” Abbysia looked to the knight with concern.

“If her powers grow unstable, then that would put the citizens at risk. While luring her into a trap may be the most likely to succeed, it could come at the cost of the very city,” Aurith frowned.

“Which means that everyone would be…” Saya’s heart sank.

“I agree with Aurith,” Xenia grinned. “I think if we want to stop her, then Vert and Honey will have to cut off her mana while the rest of us go subdue her.”

“I agree as well,” Phordata nodded followed by everyone else at the table. “Although, I would like to ask Abbysia and Yule to stay here to watch over things, especially since Noire still isn’t up to fighting with us, and Lillia would likewise be unprotected.”

“I’m fine with that,” Abbysia smiled. “I’d rather make sure Noire is safe anyway.”

“I’d rather be out there to help Mable,” Yule sighed. “But I think I’d be better served here.”

“Very well,” Xenia nodded. “I’ll have my Lumina Knights evacuate the town while Lillia’s guard keeps watch here. Meanwhile, Aria, Aurith, Phordata, Mable, Nerivi, and myself, will engage our assailant.”

“I think that would cover everything,” Aurith nodded. “Are we agreed then?”

“I would think so,” Phordata nodded.

“Wait a second,” Saya interrupted, nervously grabbing at her hair. “What about me? What am I supposed to do?”

“Saya,” Xenia looked at her with a soft apprehension. She took a deep breath. “I think it best if you were to stay here.”

“But…”

“We will likely need healing once this is all over. And as such keeping you safe is top priority,” Xenia reasoned, Aria nodding.

“You think I would not be helpful. That is the real reason. You do not need to lie,” she bit her lip. “You think I am too weak, correct?”

“Saya, listen,” Phordata sighed. “Your mastery over magic has progressed significantly since we began your training. Your healing magic has even begun to overtake Honey’s. But your magic isn’t inclined nor prepared for combat like mine, Honey’s, nor your sister’s. And you’re still developing your defensive spells as well.”

“But Mable is…” Saya protested.

“My knowledge has helped me tap into my powers far quicker than you Saya,” Mable said with a delicate tone, as if to handle her with a silken softness. “Xenia as well. Her mastery may not be as great as yours, but her combat experience makes her… well…”

“More reliable,” Aurith said with a stern tone.

“Aurith,” Aria frowned.

“Do not take this the wrong way Aria. I appreciate everyone attempting to be considerate of my sister’s feelings,” he said with a calm demeanor before turning a stare to a suddenly rigid Saya. “However, such consideration will not keep her safe alone. If I must be the villain here, then very well,” Saya quivered slightly from the strength in his voice, preparing for the coming scolding. “I have been informed that Saya rejected her combat abilities during her transformation,” Saya frowned as she shivered. “I do not judge you for that sister, fighting is not something everyone needs to pursue. But the fact remains, you have lost what little capacity you had for combat, and I would not have allowed you to go even had you retained that strength. This is not a battle against some mercenaries. We are fighting a witch of great power, and I will not have you risking your life when it would provide little aid in our battle.”

“I… I understand,” Saya relented with a quiet whimper.

“Nerivi,” Aurith looked to the sharp knight who nodded. “I would like you to look after Saya and Lillia and make sure they stay out of trouble for me,” Nerivi gave a quiet nod.

“That was a little harsh,” Abbysia whispered.

“Perhaps,” Yule whispered. “But he is correct. She would be of little help on the battlefield, even with supporting them with her magic,” Abbysia frowned upon her explanation, glancing at Aria noticing her distant gaze.

“Now let us prepare,” Aurith announced, he and Xenia beginning to focus on how to direct the others.

Saya headed further into the halls, leaving the bustle behind, a heavy weight of distance pulling upon her. Certainly, she was accepted and supported by the others, but what good was that if she could not contribute as well. She may not have had any interest in combat, and even fighting a witch with her magic was far from a palatable idea. The mere notion of violence still sent her stomach to mimic an acrobat. Yet even still. She still desired to help everyone. Staying to help heal when they returned, it was as if conceding that the others would be hurt, a thought that placed her with just as much unease. Hurt like… she quivered from the invisible pain.

“Saya,” a quiet voice called to her, snapping herself out of her haze. She immediately realized she had begun laying on one of the couches in the library. A soft hand on her shoulder shook her to attention, beautiful blue eyes watching over her. “Are you okay,” her beloved gave a quiet pout.

“Aria,” she whimpered. “I feel so useless,” she trembled. “Is there truly nothing I can do?”

“Saya,” Aria leaned over to her. “It’s not about you being useless, you know that,” she frowned. “Besides, I’m certain you’ll find your own way to help in that resourceful little head of yours,” she gave a playful poke to Saya’s forehead.

“You think I could do something to help?” Saya asked as she rose from the cushions.

“Of course,” Aria chuckled.

“Enough to come with you all?” Saya looked at her pleadingly.

Aria sighed. “Saya, listen. Please. Stay here,” Saya looked at her with pain shaking her eyes. “It’s not that I think you’re not capable enough, and I don’t think you’d bring us down either. It’s just…” Aria looked into her eyes. “I love you. And I don’t want anything happening to you. If something were to happen to you, I’d…”

“But you would risk your own life, even knowing that I feel the same,” Saya’s body shook. “You would head into the same danger that nearly claimed…” she fell silent as she recalled Hannah’s cruel words and the horrid images that lead to that moment. “Even if you may not come back to me,” her words fell to a hush.

“That’s what this is really about, isn’t it?” Aria frowned as lowered her self and scooped Saya into her embrace, carefully brushing the hairs from her face. “Saya, I trained for this, and I’m going out there to protect you. If I could, I’d stay right here and protect you, but they need me out there, and I need to be there to make sure that she doesn’t come after you,” she hugged Saya close. “So, please. Stay here. Stay here so I can fight confidently knowing that you’re safe.”

“Okay,” Saya relented. “You win. I will stay here,” she gave quiet whimper

“Thank you,” Aria smiled before giving a soft kiss upon Saya’s lips. “Stay safe for me, Princess. Promise.”

“Only if you promise to stay safe.”

“Of course,” Aria nodded before the two kissed again holding each other for a moment, before finally parting again. Aria cherishing the breath as she stared into Saya’s glittering emerald eyes, while Saya stared somberly into her Sapphires. Aria glanced over Saya’s shoulder noticing Xenia give her a quiet nod, prompting her to move. She returned her gaze back to Saya, smiling as she thought of the breath they shared before rising to head out. “I’m off now. Stay safe for me. Okay,” she smiled.

Saya could only reach for her departing grasp as she quietly watched her leave. “You stay safe too,” she whimpered, bringing her hands to her chest.

* * *

Aria’s breath was rough and hard as she followed the others down the hillside and back into the town. She nervously tugged at her armor, pulling at its straps, ensuring they were tightly fastened. She looked up into the dark skies above, its darkness swallowing all but the darker clouds of anxiety filling her. She tried again and again to stow the lingering sight of Saya reaching for her into the back of her mind. She didn’t like seeing Saya like that. It reminded her of that awful night all those months ago, when…

“No,” she shook her head with a mutter. She had to focus. She was doing this for Saya. She needed to protect her. She steeled her heart as they made their final approach. She wasn’t going to let her down.

“Aria?” Mable looked to her concernedly. “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine,” Aria confirmed.

“Are you certain? You seem a little…”

“I’m just nervous,” she shook her head. “This witch, whoever she is, is going to be hard to take down. I’m certain of that,” she frowned.

“Indeed,” Phordata nodded. “Honey and Vert may be supporting us, but we’re going to be doing the actual fighting. Don’t let your guards down,” she said as she came to a stop before the city gates.

“Which is why we must stick to our plans,” Aurith confirmed. “From here we split up. Phordata and Mable will ready themselves from some of the rooftops while Aria, sister, and I confront her from the ground.”

“Remember, our goal is to tire her out and capture her,” Xenia continued the explanation. “Going in for the kill is too dangerous. However, should we manage to subdue her, Aunt Phordata should be able to suppress her magic further and we may be able to interrogate her afterward. Are we understood?”

“Crystal Captain,” Aria nodded.

“You three stay safe out there,” Phordata nodded as she conjured a plant which wound upon a nearby chimney, rising the witch to the roof.

“Please don’t do anything risky, okay,” Mable looked to Xenia.

“You as well,” Xenia nodded, as Mable released her wings, the flaps of leathery black limbs pushing her into the sky. “She sure has gotten impressive with those in such a short time,” her gaze lingered on Mable as she landed on a nearby roof.

“Yeah,” Aria chuckled.

“Now then, let us proceed,” Aurith said, prompting the two to follow him into the city. They trekked through the empty streets, distant clangs of armor reassuring them of the peoples’ safety. The wind howling in their ears, signs and stalls wavering from the gales. “This wind is getting worse,” Aurith grit his teeth.

“Honey and Vert’s efforts must not have taken hold yet,” Xenia shouted against the loud whooshing. “It is also likely that the wind is strongest around the witch! It should not be much longer until…”

“There!” Aria pointed toward the gates of the city square. In its center the witch hovered, her holy garment flapping round her body, drenched with the purple glow of her hair. The witch looked to them and smirked.

“So, you actually came back,” she chuckled. “I was going to burn down this town to get your attention, but it seems I don’t need to spend the effort after all. Thank you very much, my precious fools,” she bowed, her body giving a strange curl in the air as her feet swaying backward in the air. “Heh, I’m more used to doing that on the ground, it would appear,” she giggled.

“You…” Aurith gripped his sword.

“Hold brother,” Xenia stopped him. “There is something I must ask first,” she turned her attention to the witch. “Tell me, who sent you to attack my brother?”

“Brother?” she chuckled. “I forgot that I went for him first. No, my dear, you were my true target. You and your companions. As for who, some local king. To be honest I don’t know much aside from that.”

“Yet you seem to know us well enough to know we would come to protect this town, even though several of us are witches,” Xenia countered. “Why would you assume that a witch would come to the defense of a city like this?”

The witch seemed caught off guard by the question. She attempted to answer, but continually found herself halted by her confusion twisted lips. “Now that I think about it, I’m not too certain. I don’t know why I know anything about you,” she shrugged. “But I do know that I’m going to enjoy this,” she curled her hand as lightning surged from her hand. “Goodbye,” she launched a volley of lightning.

Xenia girded herself and slashed toward the witch, a wave of shadowy flames flying from the blade, engulfing the lightning. “Oho,” the witch smirked. “Then how about…” she stopped short as a pair of thick vines erupted from the ground and spiraled around her arms, pulling her to the ground. Just as soon as she managed to discharge some electricity into the thick plants did she find herself pummeled by a shadowy sphere of magic. “A sneak attack?” she grimaced before shooting a glare at the demonic elf and witch working their spells just beyond her grip.

“Nicely done sister,” Aurith grinned. “With that we all seem to be in place.”

“It was something Lady Ayana once taught me. Use your curiosity to bide time against a stronger foe,” Xenia reminisced. “She taught me for use against the haughty sort who thought themselves better than myself.”

“A wise stratagem,” Aurith nodded. “Then let us push onward. Xenia use your spells while Aria and I make our advance!” Aurith directed, Xenia giving a nod in turn as he made his move.

“Right behind you,” Aria followed him, the two raising their blades, preparing to strike. The witch’s lips curled with delight as they neared. “Crap,” Aria grunted. “Aurith, defense!” she barked, much to Aruith’s surprise.

“Too late,” the witch snickered as she whipped her arms forth, a volley of lightning wildely erupting forth. The two knights stood firm as the lightning tore through them, the two anchoring themselves with their blades as they looked to the witch in frustration.

“Damn, she’s strong,” Aria coughed.

“Strange. That was weaker than it should’ve…” her eyes widened as a massive trunk of wood emerged and began to crash into her, barely managing to refute it with a mass of lightning. “Why am I…?” she panted.

“That was incredible, Phora!” Mable cheered to her newly green skinned partner.

“This is bad,” Phordata grimaced, surprising Mable. “I managed to change into my elemental form, and she was still able to counter it?”

“Does that mean we were too late?”

“No,” Phordata shook her head. “This witch, she’s clearly empowered, but she’s not in her elemental form…”

“B-but once Honey and Vert…” Mable tried to reassure her.

“Their spells are already in effect. Her magic should already imperiled,” Mabel’s eyes grew wide with shock. “We’ll have to be decisive if we have any hope of stopping her. Or else we’ll all be in real trouble.”

30