Chapter 18: A Vow to Spring
481 3 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hello all!

As mentioned before, this will be the last update. An epilogue will be up shortly (if it isn't already.) I'll give my final thoughts on this book there.

As always, be sure to follow me or jump on my Discord if you wanna keep nice and updated.

Discord: https://discord.com/invite/EnsjDF74vC

Now without further ado.

Please enjoy the final chapter of The Witches of Floroma - The Stolen Flower.

Content Warning:

Spoiler

mentions of abuse, trauma, and implications of mental alteration.

[collapse]

 

“I’m back,” Saya announced, the others looking to her expectantly.

“Welcome back,” Xenia smiled. “Did Iris give you an answer already?”

“She has,” Saya nodded before turning back toward the door. “But, I think she deserves to say it herself,” she giggled as Iris emerged from the doorway.

“H-hi,” she gulped. “I… hi everyone,” the others tensed with uncertainty as she entered the room. “I… uh,” she looked up to Saya.

“It’s okay,” she gave Iris a small side hug. “I am right by your side.”

Iris looked back to the others and gave them a nod before taking a deep breath. “I’m sorry,” Iris whimpered as she faced the others who shared a confused look amongst each other. “I’ve done a lot of terrible things, and I’ve wronged all of you so much. I used that Demon Controller Ilo was working on against Mable, and tried to use her to hurt you,” Xenia and Mable tightened as they recalled the experience, Abbysia frowning as she sat outside of the group. “I attacked all of you. Insulted and belittled you, even hunted you all down. Even if I recognize my follies, even if I did it because I was in pain, it I hurt you all. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry,” she cried.

Saya frowned as she watched the others trade confused looks amongst themselves as Xenia and Aurith cast their eyes to the side, avoiding Iris’s gaze. Xenia stroked at her hair as Aurith released a deep sigh. Her small sister trembled in fear. “I’m sorry, maybe… maybe I shouldn’t have…”

Iris felt a firm grasp land upon her shoulder as she looked up to see Aurith looking upon you. He gave her a somber look. “I cannot say I entirely forgive you. The pain you caused runs quite deep,” Iris looked down and nodded sadly. “However, I will not repeat what father did to you. I will not abandon you. I do not believe that seeking punishment upon you will help anyone, and I desire to help you,” Iris looked up to him in bewilderment. “I will support you, sister,” Iris blinked in shock as her lips trembled, uncertain if she should protest, smile, or cry, the lattermost beginning to win through.

“I agree,” Xenia added as she approached next, giving her a gentle hug. “The pain you caused may not disappear, but together perhaps we can begin to heal,” she smiled, before dropping her gaze low and sighing. “That said, there is still something I want to know,” Xenia crossed her arms. “Ever since we were children, you treated us all poorly, and I never understood that. Why push us away like that?”

Iris’s face dropped. “I…” she hesitated. “I was jealous of you all.”

“Jealous?” Saya repeated.

“Of what?” Aria echoed.

“Of how father seemed to respect you all,” she confessed.

“Respect?” Xenia clenched her fist as her voice trembled with confusion and frustration. “You think he respected us? After he had me go through that awful training? After all the pressure he put on Saya?” Saya frowned as her words lingered in the air.

“I…” Iris shook slightly as she began to tear up. “I know that. I know he didn’t respect you. Maybe I even knew it then too. But…” she began to weep, “…but he at least seemed to value what you were doing,” she cried. “I had nothing. He gave you and Aurith these prestigious roles, and he would scoff at my work, tell me to destroy the things I put my heart and soul into. It felt like a slap in the face. Constantly having my hard work thrown aside and insulted. Maybe I deserved your scorn, but it hurt. Everything hurt,” she ranted as she gripped her head. “I just…” She felt a warm form hold her. “I…” she looked up pleadingly.

“There, there,” Phordata smiled. “You’ve been through a lot, haven’t you?” she said, holding the crying girl.

“I’m sorry,” she whimpered.

“No,” Saya shook her head. “You may have done some terrible things, but we were not fair to you either,” she said looking to Xenia and Aurith, both turning their heads downward. “We were not there for you either, even when it was clear you were alone and excluded. Looking back on it, it was rather obvious how much you closed yourself off. Even I thought you were placing yourself above us, when all you wanted was to be recognized. Am I correct?”

“Yeah,” Iris nodded as Phordata calmly pet her. “I’m sorry I hurt you all. None of you deserved it.”

Xenia sighed as she approached Iris, Phordata relinquishing her, Xenia taking her place. “You have been through a lot too. I am sorry I never noticed that,” she said as she hugged the confused girl.

“B-but, Xenia,” Iris attempted to protest. “I…”

“But nothing,” Xenia shook her head. “The way Father raised me led me down a path that led me to hurt others as well,” she said passing a glance toward Saya. “We were both taught to reject our feelings, taught to deny ourselves, all to attain a strength we believed would assert ourselves,” she looked back to Iris. “We’ve both done harm. And I believe we can both heal from it.”

“Xenia,” Iris’s eyes shimmered with tears as Xenia continued to hold her.

“We have both been through a lot, big sister,” she held Iris close.

“I agree too,” Lillia nodded as Iris stepped back from Xenia. “Back when we were younger, you said some very hurtful things to me too. But I don’t care about any of that now. I just want to be with everyone again. I just want our family to be whole again.”

“Whole?” Iris repeated. “That does sound nice,” she let a gentle smile grow upon her lips.

“We’ve all been separated for a long time,” Phordata interjected. “You were all denied the chance to know of your heritage, family, even your identity. That bastard hid the truth from you, and hurt you, but I won’t allow him to harm you like that anymore. We’re family. So long as you want to be here, we’ll be with you,” Iris nodded as tears ran down her face. “What was it you said earlier little knight?”

“The aroma of the witches of Floroma won’t lose to him,” Aria boasted.

“Geez,” Iris giggled. “That one is pretty terrible don’t you think?”

“Well, I see you can still be a little mouthy if you want to be,” Aria smirked, Iris sticking out her tongue in protest.

“Thank you though, all of you. I won’t let you down again. I promise,” Iris swore as the others smiled and showed their support for her.

“I hate to ruin the moment,” Nerivi interjected. “But I think we should figure out what we’re doing next.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” Aria scratched her head. “We still need to get Abby and Noire someplace safe, and then there’s trying to fight against Zerto. Where do we even begin on that?”

“A covert operation is always possible,” Aurith commented. “Most of us know the castle well enough to the point that we could enter with little suspicion and confront him directly. However, I doubt that we would have much success with that approach”

“I’m inclined to agree with you there,” Phordata shrugged. “To make matters worse Zerto is already aware of myself and your sisters. And if Saya is right, and he planned this all-in advance, I’m sure he has something prepared for if we manage to reach that point.”

“Then what do we do?” Saya frowned before looking to Iris. “Do you have any ideas, Iris?”

“I think I might have an idea,” Iris answered. The others looking to her. “What about going after the church?”

“The church?” Saya repeated.

“I think I see what you’re going for,” Phordata frowned, “but the Church has been a force that has beaten our kind for centuries. As proud as I am in all of you, we wouldn’t stand a chance of trying to take it down.”

“I don’t mean taking it down though. Most of father’s defenses are tied to the church. So, if we mess with them, it could leave his defenses imperiled,” she explained.

“That is… actually not a terrible idea,” Xenia said, surprised by her insight. “It is still incredibly dangerous but drawing attention away from the castle could be what we need.”

“I’m still against it personally,” Phordata said, Honey nodding behind her. “I don’t want a repeat of what happened with Elesa.”

“Mother?” Aurith held his chin. “Perhaps there’s more merit to Iris’s idea than first appears.”

“What do you mean, brother?” Lillia tilted her head.

“You all would not be aware of it, but mother was recently called to the Holy City of Avtalia,” Aurith responded. “It may be the opportunity you all need to free her from father’s control.”

“Is that true brother?” Saya’s voice wavered in awe. He nodded.

“Elesa,” Phordata clenched her fists.

“It’s not just mother either,” Iris bounced.

“Iris?” Phordata looked to her. “What do you mean?”

“I didn’t get to finish explaining, but the church backing father is only part of the reason I think targeting them is a good idea. The other is our eldest sibling. He’s been training to be a Paladin of the church there too,” Iris explained.

“Zerv?” Saya asked. “Do you think he’d help us?”

“More than that,” she nodded. “I think Zerv might be a witch too.”

“Zerv might be…” Lillia blinked.

“it’s difficult to say for certain, but certain things about him when we were younger remind me of Saya and myself. If I’m right, then we might be able to save more than just mother,” she reasoned. “And even if I am wrong, if we turn Zerv against father as well, it would likely still throw his remaining plans into chaos,” she said with a slightly sadistic edge to her voice.

“You certainly still know how to be ruthless,” Nerivi gave a hesitant chuckle.

“We could hurt Zerto and help the rest of our family?” Honey reiterated. “Does everyone agree?” The others returned with a resolute nod.

“Then we’re decided then?” Phordata looked to the others. “Our next primary objective will be to head to Avtalia, work to free Elesa, and find this eldest child.”

“Yes,” Saya nodded. “If Iris is right about Zerv, we may be their only hope. With all of us, there is little doubt we could help them.”

“About that,” Xenia interjected, “I do not believe all of us should go to Avtalia.”

“What do you mean Xenia?” Lillia looked at her confoundedly.

Aurith sighed. “I believe Xenia will agree with me on this, but even should our eldest sibling be a witch, we would still be going up against impossible odds. Consequently, it would be best for us to split up.”

“Split up?” Honey questioned with a slight tremor to her voice, trading a hesitant glance with Phordata. “But…”

“It would only be a temporary thing, Aunt Honey,” Xenia said. “Brother and I shall go to gather the rest of the Lumina Knights, and search for other fighters we believe may be sympathetic to our cause. Even with how powerful our magic is, having an armed force behind us will most certainly help us against Zerto.”

“You make a good point, but…” Mable’s eyes fell downward.

“No, sister is absolutely right,” Iris nodded. “Not only would that be helpful, but I was going to suggest we split up anyway. The guards at Avtalia are quite attentive, and going in with a large group, especially with known entities like Xenia, Aurith, and Phordata would prove dangerous,” the small girl wagged her finger knowingly.

“I see you still have that know-it-all attitude sister,” Aurith chuckled.

“And she is right. We need to be careful, the church is not going to simply lie down and do nothing,” Nerivi added. “Especially if a bunch of people known to be associated with witches approach such a sacred place.”

“Are you okay with this Phory?” Honey looked to the quiet witch.

“I’m not, but she’s right. And like Iris said, bringing me to Avtalia would be a poor decision anyway,” she considered. “Alright, how about this. Xenia, Aurith, and the knights shall go to find more allies to assist us while Iris, Lillia, and Honey head to Avtalia. Iris seems to be the one who knows the most about this eldest child, Lillia knows the most of the church’s inner workings, and Honey can help advise Iris in her powers.”

“If it’s alright, I’d like to go with Xenia,” Mable requested.

“And I of course want to be with Mable,” Yule reached for Mable’s hand.

“Very well,” Phordata nodded.

“What about you Saya?” Aria asked. “I’ll follow wherever you go.”

“Well, I…”

“I’d like sister to come with us,” Iris interrupted. “I mean… if that’s okay,” she blushed. “I’d like her company is all.”

“Of course, sister,” Saya nodded. “I would be glad too,” Saya’s warm voice sent shivers of glee down Iris’s back.

“I think I’ll tag along as well,” Nerivi looked to them. “No offense, but a single knight for you four hardly seems sufficient.”

“None taken,” Aria chuckled. “I’d appreciate the help. Oh, but what of you Phordata?”

“I plan to use my powers to keep an eye on Zerto. I, Abby, and Noire should be able to keep watch and learn when he makes his move. I’m certain they’d like to stop others from suffering like they did,” Phordata explained. “And with that, are we all truly in agreement then?” Phordata asked, the others nodding. “Excellent,” she grinned. “…and thank you,” she whispered.

* * *

After a couple days of preparation, each of the groups formed, preparing to make their departure. The morning sun began to break through the clouds as rays of daybreak began to kiss the mountainside.

“Are you certain this is the best idea Xenia?” Saya asked.

“I am,” she nodded. “It is best for us to keep this entrance secret for the time being, and simply vanishing could risk Zerto’s guard to investigate the area. So our best option for now is to return on horseback,” she explained.

“The only truly reliable and convincing ruses are sewn with truth,” Aurith added. “And once we get far enough, we can abandon the empty wagons and head for this city you speak of much faster than either of your journeys.”

“I see,” Saya giggled.

“Is something funny?” Xenia questioned.

“No, it is just that, this will be the last time for a while I will get to hear your strategies,” she said, with a smile, her eyes shimmering with sadness.

“It will not be that long,” Xenia whispered as she hugged Saya. “Now then, before it gets too much later, you and the others must leave.”

“I know,” she frowned as the approached her group’s wagon.

“Be safe out there,” Xenia looked to Saya. “And Aria, watch over her.”

“Of course, ma’am,” Aria smirked.

“Nerivi, you as well,” Aurith smirked. “Although, I doubt that needs much saying.”

“Consider it done dear,” Nerivi smirked as she dragged another bag of supplies to the wagon. “Although I’m more concerned about you,” she chuckled.

“Saya!” a familiar voice called, prompting the princess to turn towards the group of demonesses.

“Mable!” Saya smiled. “Have you all come to see us off?”

“Of course,” Mable nodded.

“The holy city is a frightening place. Don’t let it’s shiny streets deceive you,” Yule advised. “Seriously, be safe out there. And once we meet again, I’d love to hear more stories about your childhood with Mable,” she giggled.

“Is now really the time to tease me?” Mable pouted.

“Thank you, Yule,” Saya laughed. “And what of you two, Abby, Noire?”

“We’ve decided we’re going to be helping Phordata,” Abbysia said.

“We want to pay her back for everything you’ve all done for us. And besides, I don’t want anyone else suffering like we did because of that king,” Noire explained passionately.

“I see, then I wish you both safety and luck,” Saya smiled.

“Saya,” Mable said, grabbing her attention. “You’ve really come a long way from when we first left,” she smiled. “If anyone can save her highness and the eldest, it’s you.”

“She’s right you know,” another voice agreed, Phordata approaching with Honey and Iris. “You may not be suited for combat, but always remember how invaluable your heart has been.”

“Of course, Aunt Phora,” she chuckled.

“And if you would, please help your sister learn how to control her magic,” Phordata patted Iris’s head.

“It’s not my fault that my magic is so strong,” Iris moped.

“It is rather interesting why her magic is so potent,” Honey chuckled. “I’m sure the two of us will be able to guide her though.”

“Of course, you will,” Aria interjected. “By the way Princess, we’re ready to head off now,” she smiled.

“Then I suppose it is time to leave,” Saya said with a wistful smile before turning to everyone. “I am going miss you all so much,” she looked to them, each giving a nod, as Mable, Abbysia, and Xenia all wiped away a handful of tears.

“We’ll see you all soon though, I’m sure of it,” Iris chuckled. “Let’s all do our best!” she cheered, the others answering with their own cheers. “You ready Saya?”

“Of course,” she nodded, the group boarding the carriage, before the carriage began driving away. She leaned over the back of the wagon as tears began to fill her eyes as she watched her beloved companions vanish into the distance, a small sniffle drawing her hand to her face. “Good luck everyone.”

A small hand grasped idle hand, pulling her glance towards her smiling sister. “We’ll see them again, Saya,” she smiled.

“Yeah,” she smiled.

“Y’know,” Iris said, looking out to the horizon. “I think I’m going to miss them too,” Saya looked to her with a hint of confusion. “Before, I resented them, for having a chance when I didn’t. Like, I hated Xenia for accepting you, while she always rejected me. And it always felt like all of my accomplishments would simply disappear with Aurith’s slightest success.,” she sighed. “I felt alone and angry, and I never wanted to see them again.”

“Iris…”

“But I don’t feel that way anymore. And it’s all thanks to you sis,” she smiled. “Because you accepted me,” she leaned into Saya. “I’m so glad that you’re my sister.”

Saya giggled. “I am glad too. But I would not have been able to get this far without the others supporting me too.”

“Yeah,” Iris nodded. “I hope I can make it up to them someday.”

“I am certain you will.”

“Thank you Saya, for everything. Thank you, for saving me,” Iris hugged close to Saya. Saya held Iris close, hope filling their hearts as they looked toward the sunrise. The morning sun warming their smiles as they headed off to their future.

32