41. Coming Home
59 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Orion spied a Royal toucan hopping along a branch towards its nest, which was a large hole in a tree’s trunk. Just as it was about to enter, another Royal toucan with a smaller beak popped out of the nest and screeched. Knowing its place, the male toucan stepped back and began arguing, only for the female to start right back, their domestic argument a duet to Orion’s ears.

He still felt as if he was in a daze. It was similar to how he felt now looking down from the branch he was on, knowing he could jump at any moment and crack a series of bones, perhaps even die. He had felt a similar sensation ever since the Awakening, only this time there wasn’t a branch to get off and go back to feeling normal. Honestly, it unnerved him as much as it exhilarated him.

Sighing, he pushed himself off the branch anyway, diving through the air. Over his soon-to-be death-spot grew an ice slide, letting him land with a thud instead of a cry. Looking up, he saw his landing had frightened the toucans out of their argument, their beady eyes staring at him through the hole. He waved and left, treading towards the Seeker’s camp.

The trip was slow and calming, animals and monsters calling in the distance. He knew Kajan wouldn’t last; Jowler had informed everyone at the base the Tribes had already begun their invasion, and that the Metoles were rumoured to leave for the frontlines soon. If that was the case, the Horsemen would soon move into the Empire and make this rainforest another of their deserts.

Smirking at the thought, he carried on, eventually arriving at his destination. The Seeker’s camp was being packed up, the huts already taken down with overfilled bags clumped around the area. Orion nodded to some Seekers as they greeted him, although on the large he walked in silence – it seemed they had figured he was a weird one.

When he faced his own hut, one of the few still up, a myriad of emotions barrelled into him. It was mostly pain and exhaustion but deeper down he knew there was a large amount of pride. He quickly got to work, collapsing the building before packing his meagre belongings. When all was done with, he went and sat by a clump of bags, waiting for the other Seekers to finish.

“Lazing off already?” Leo called, his figure casting a shadow over Orion.

“Of course not, just a short rest,”

“Good. I’d kill myself of grief if my star pupil became the next Jowler,”

Orion chuckled. “Are you done with your packing then?”

“Yep, it’s all here,” Leo said, pointing to the rucksack in his hand and the bow slung over his shoulder.

“What? Just that? I thought you’ve been living here forever,”

Leo cuffed him on the head before taking a seat beside. “I’m not that old. But yeah, I’m not much the hoarder, more of a free spirit I guess. Reminds me, I never asked about your plans after this,”

“Hmm,” Orion realised he hadn’t thought much about it either. “I don’t know. Maybe I’ll carry on with Kora – she’s good, you know? I’ve got to tell her that sometime,”

“In that case why don’t you come with us? Most us are going to Petrosa,” Leo said.

“Naa, not the capital,”

“Oh yeah, I guess that’s too risky considering you’re a Zakari,” Leo said, the mood between them instantly chilling over.

“Yeah. How did you figure?” Orion eventually asked, giving up on any impulse of killing Leo to silence him. Orion had hidden for long enough; it was time for the world to know the Zakari still existed.

“Well, not by appearance. All you westerners look similar, and with that mark on your cheek, I certainly wouldn’t guess you’re a Zakari,”

Orion sighed. “It’s not a mark to—”

“To brand them, I know, it’s for their protection. A friend I trained with a long time ago told me that, you might know him: Kasib,” Leo said, getting a clear answer as Orion’s face lit up. “We met up some time ago, and he showed me some movements from your training. After watching you train your arse off for long enough, I realised you had the same quirks of movement as he had when demonstrating. And there’s no way in hell an ordinary westerner would be taught any Zakari arts,”

Orion nodded. “I guess you’re right,”

Leo continued, “Still, I wasn’t sure of your relationship with them so I asked Jowler. What a surprise that was, I mean I had my suspicions about Kora as well but to think I had been training two lordlings like you all this time. Pfft, I was shocked,”

“Yeah, it was… difficult when I figured she was a Cruorem,”

“You know she’s being hunted? Bian Cruorem, daughter of Caleb Cruorem, ran away from the House of Fullhorn. Every vampire, and I bet most monsters have heard about it,”

There was a pause as Orion pondered. “Bian, I didn’t know that was her name. It’s nice,”

“Oh, you’re not worried about them coming after her?” Leo asked, his eyebrows raised. “You’re a far cry from what you were before your Awakening but I doubt you can fight any of them,”

“You haven’t seen me use Szu,” Orion said proudly.

“You haven’t seen them use their Blood arts,” Leo countered, stroking his ginger beard.

Shrugging, Orion gave up on the argument. Just in time too as he felt a vice grip on his shoulder, one so strong he had no question of who it was. “Arghh, get off, Kora,”

She laughed, dropping him down. “What are you gentlemen talking about?”

“About this cute girl called Bian,” Orion said while rubbing his shoulder.

Leo immediately shook his head and stood up. “Right, I’ll see you two later,” His rushed steps made it obvious he didn’t want to be involved in any of their business.

Kora glared at Orion, her lips forming a thin line. “Mm, I don’t remember telling you any of that. Who did you hear that off? Leo?”

Orion shrugged as he rose, brushing off her daggers-drawn stare as he walked away.

****

The Seekers moved fast that night, leaving the camp they had held for years. The journey was a lot smoother than the one the four from Visgamar had undertaken before. This was because the group’s size scared off most monsters, and any that weren’t had swift deaths as they tried to fight through several Seekers. Along the way, a few of the Seekers left the group, leaving for settlements that needed different routes. Eventually, it was Orion’s and Kora’s turn:

Orion hugged Lilith. She had drunk the Siren’s Elixir and it showed as her curvaceous figure had taken an unrealistic turn. She was now lean and busty, her body catching many eyes as she moved. “We’ll meet again,” she said when they parted, to which he nodded.

He then clasped hands with Cyae, who grinned at him. She had drunk the Einherz’s Elixir, and while Lilith’s changes were enchanting, Cyae’s were straight up magical. She had also become a lot more comfortable to be around and chilled after her Awakening, although Orion really wasn’t in a position to make judgements about change. “Three months,” she said.

“Three months,” he repeated.

Next was Leo who gave him a nod and mouthed the words “Three months”

Last was Jowler, who stood by Joiroa. Over the period of their training, Orion had paid less and less attention to Joiroa until after his Awakening, when he realised the dark-skinned man had already learned the civilised tongue.

Jowler beckoned Kora and Orion towards himself, away from the other Seekers. “As I promised, you can have Joiroa back now,”

Orion smiled at the foreigner, who smiled back. Life had slowly been injected into his eyes, and now they gleamed red like blood. Orion had never noticed before but looking closer, he realised Joiroa was near Jowler’s age, wrinkles over his face even though his curly hair showed no signs of greying.

“He’s on a mission,” Jowler said, “And you’re on a mission,” he pointed at Orion, “And you’re on a mission,” he pointed at Kora. “And they’re all big, bad problems, so I reckon you can help each other out. Either way, my time’s coming to an end,” he said, tapping his belly, “so you’ll have to deal with each other’s messes sooner or later.

Turning around, he finished. “Remember, the Seeker’s Summit is at End’s edge in three months. If I don’t see you two there, Smith will be getting a stick up his arse,” he joked, laughing at his own sense of humour as he re-joined the other Seekers. “You two better hurry and become 5-star in that time,” he shouted, waving at them as the three Seekers left the group, heading towards Visgamar.

1