Chapter 4: Taking the first steps.
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“meow~ meow~ meow~”

“You really like playing with this thing, huh.”

I continued to wave the bristle grass in front of the little black kitten who was trying to chase it down. It jumped, ran, and even used its small claws to catch it but to no avail.

“meow... meow...” The kitten pant, looking really tired.

“Alright, I think you deserve this now.”

I released the bristle grass from my hand and the kitten caught it instantly. Looking pleased, it held it down using its mouth.

“I bet you are hungry again.” Inoue-san brought out another opened can of cat food, “Here you go~”

The kitten immediately released the bristle grass on its mouth and ran to the cat food. As usual, it started to eat hastily, with bits of food starting to fly off to different directions.

After accepting Inoue-san’s offer, the both of us sat down on some benches. Since the park is practically empty, it didn’t take us that long to find places to sit.

“...”

“...”

I know she was the one who invited me here but she’s the one who is being quiet right now. We never even uttered a single word to each other after what happened earlier.

I glanced over at Inoue-san’s side and surprisingly saw her taking a glance at me as well. Out of embarrassment, we both instantly faced the other way. This is really awkward...

I don’t know if I can handle this much tension if this continues any longer. Maybe I can start up a conversation? But what good topic should I bring up? Something that she can relate to perhaps?

... I think I got it.

“Hey Inoue-san.” “Azama-kun.”

“”Oh!“” We spoke at the same time, what luck we are having!

“You go ahead Inoue-san, you speak first.” I offered.

“Ah! P-please, you go ahead! I-I don’t mind...” She refused.

If she says so, I guess it should be okay.

“Okay then. Inoue-san, does this little kitten have a name?” I asked her.

“A name...?”

“Yeah. I mean I saw you taking care of her earlier, so I was wondering if she has a name.”

“I-I don’t know if she has a name.” She responded, “I found her here during the first week of school... She looked injured so I took care of her. Ever since then, I always visit her here to see if she is still okay.”

“I see...”

So she’s been taking care of the little black kitten since the first week of school, which was a few weeks ago now. That makes sense, considering this stray cat looks much better than the others of its kind.

“Then why not give her a name then?” I suggested.

“Eh!? I-I can?” She stuttered.

“I mean you have been taking care of her for a relatively long time now, right? I think you are more than worthy to do so.”

“But I am not even it’s proper owner...”

“Well if it makes you better, ask about it yourself.” I jerked my thumb to the kitten who is still eating.

She continued to stare at me and at the kitten, as if deciding whether she should do it or not.

“Okay... if you say so...”

She stood up and went to the kitten, the latter looking up at her. It tilted its head slightly, as if it was asking what she was doing.

“Hey neko-san, is it okay if I can give you a name?”

“meow~!” As expected, the kitten nodded its head without hesitation.

“See?” I pointed out, “It seems the kitten has no problem with it.”

“I-I see... Then...” She pondered about it for a little while, “What if her new name will be... Kuro?”

“Oh, that’s a good suggestion.” I nodded in agreement, “I think that should be her name.”

The black kitten happily meowed after hearing the name. It seems like she also likes what Inoue-san has decided.

“Oh, Inoue-san.” I called her, “You were about to ask me a question, right?”

“A-ah, yes.” She nodded, “I-I was wondering if you usually go home through here? I never saw you walking this way before so...”

“Actually, no. I used to take a faster route home from school, with my friends at least.”

“Your friends?”

“Yeah.” I responded, “You see, back when we were middle school, I used to go home from school with Asahi and Himari. There were times where we went somewhere besides home like the arcade or the sweets store. Those were the good ol’ days.”

“Oh...”

“But ever since they started going to their club activities, they have become much busier. They have to stay after school even longer so that means we can’t go together as we used to.”

“S-so you are going home alone?”

“That’s right. Earlier during lunch, they suggested that I join a club but I decided against it. But that means I have more time in my hands after school. Because of that I started going home on longer, more timely routes.”

“Even here?”

“Yeah. B-but I only started going through here today!” I exclaimed.

I really don’t want to let her know that I have been going through here for the past few days now. If she knew that I have been observing her, she would think I am some stalker of sorts.

... that doesn’t sound convincing now I think about it, huh.

“I see. But I still think that you are quite lucky to be honest...” She muttered.

“Hm?”

“Even if you go home alone... you still have friends to look forward to every single day. Even if you guys become much busier, you still would hang out with each other... I think that is a nice thing you have...”

...

“...it’s something that not all people have, you know? I believe that some people are just blessed with these sorts of things... While there are some who envy them for it... It is a frustrating feeling to have...”

She said while looking in the distance with a somewhat melancholic smile on her face.

I was reminded again of how she was earlier before Kuro came and found me. I think I shouldn’t have told much, I may have made things worse...

“Inoue-san...?”

“Ah! S-sorry, Azama-kun! I talked so much there that I didn’t realize...” She immediately apologized to me.

“... I don’t think I am blessed at all.”

“...?”

“When you said that I am blessed because I have friends, that is not true. In fact the concept of being ‘blessed’ is something I will never believe in.”

Inoue-san remained silent, a surprised look on her face as she continued to listen to me.

“I think that everything is the result of our own efforts to actually make something happen. It doesn’t matter whether you have that ability to do so in the beginning or not. As long as you work hard to make it happen, then I think it will actually happen.”

“... what if you can’t do it?” She asked in a soft voice, “ What if despite all your efforts, you still can’t make it happen? What if... it was really impossible to do in the first place?”

“That’s not true.”

“Huh?”

“The only reason why you think something is impossible is that you haven’t found the right solution yet. And nobody said that the solution will be found easily as well.”

“Azama-kun...”

“If you think you already gave your all, then push yourself further. If you think something is going down hill, then move yourself upward. The important thing is that despite everything, you will not stop moving.”

Whilst explaining, I found her cerulean blue eyes gazing intently at my black ones. When I saw my reflection in her eyes, I got reminded of something else.

“Inoue-san, what is it that you want to do?” I asked her.

“W-what I want to do...?” She gave me a perplexed look.

It is quite unfair of me, asking the exact same question that I wasn’t able to answer earlier. But I still wanted to know. She already hinted at it on multiple occasions for the past few days, even on the first day I saw her here.

But this time... I want to hear them with her own words towards me.

“I...”

With a determined look in her eyes, she gave me her answer.

“I want to be more confident!”

Hearing this, I can’t help but smile slightly at her, “Oh, is that so?”

“Y-Yes! I want to be more confident. Make friends. Meet new people. And do things that I couldn't do before. I... want to gain the courage to do all of them!”

Mhm, that’s more like it. That’s the energy I was looking for.

“meow...?” Kuro then looked at me, as if asking that same question as well.

What is it I want to do then? Looking at her confident look, I think I know what I will do with this massive amount of free time I have from now on.

“I better get going then, Inoue-san.” I stood up and was about to leave.

“W-Wait, Azama-kun!” She stood up as well, trying to stop me, “I—”

“Say, can I come here again tomorrow?”

“...eh?”

Before she could even say anything, I interrupted her. Giving me a bewildered expression, she looked at me in disbelief.

“Well since I have nothing to do afterschool now, do you think I can take care of Kuro as well?”

“B-But—”

“And if you don’t mind, maybe I could help you with that goal of yours.”

“Y-you really will!?”

“Of course.” I nodded, “So what do you think, Inoue-san?”

“I...” She paused for a bit, “I would really like that...”

“Great! Well see you tomorrow then, Inoue-sa—”

“Wait, Azama-kun!”

I was about to leave for real when she stopped me once more. I looked back at her, all confused on why she just did that.

“I-If you don’t mind... c-can you please be my f-friend as well!?” She pleaded in a loud manner.

After that, Inoue-san immediately bowed in front of me. Surprised, I found myself going back a bit in shock.

“You want me to be your friend...?” I pointed at myself, repeating what she just said.

“Y-yes!” She nodded repeatedly, “Or... you don’t want to...?”

Inoue-san looked at me with pleading eyes as she asked me in a quiet soft voice. Even though her small legs are now trembling, she still looked at me directly.

“Sure, why not.” I replied with a small smile.

I guess there’s nothing wrong with that. I told her that I will help her.

“T-Thank you so much, Azama-kun!” she replied happily with an innocent child-like smile.

Her face beamed brighter than anything I have seen before. An expression I doubt anyone but me knows she can make.

‘She’s so cute...’

As the sun set on this day, I found myself being friends with the shy beauty in our class.

0