Chapter 5: Slowly but surely.
21 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

‘At least I will be busy for a little while...’

 

It is already the next day. I am currently walking from school to the empty park as usual.

 

After everything that happened yesterday, we agreed that we will meet every after school there. In a cheerful mood, Inoue-san told me that she will look forward to meeting me everyday.

 

‘Ha, beat that Himari. I am not lonely, see?’ I mocked my friend inside my head.

 

Although there is one thing that bothers me.

 

While I did agree to help her become more confident, it was only after going home at that time I realized my first challenge: just how do you help someone become confident?

 

I was there looking so confident in myself that I will be able to help her but here I am clueless on how to actually help. So I just did what any logical person would do in this situation, ask mighty Google-sensei.

 

‘Now I am ready to train Inoue-san.’ I confidently said to myself, prepared with 2 hours worth of research in my bag.

 

“meow~”

 

Upon hearing the familiar cat noise, I looked in front of me to see Kuro waiting in the entrance of the park. She started to approach me and rub her head in my shoes.

 

“Hey Kuro, how are you?” I greeted her back, gently patting her head.

 

“meow~ meow~”

 

She pointed her head towards the entrance, prompting me to follow her along. We walked inside the park when I saw Inoue-san already waiting in one of the benches.

 

“Hey Inoue-san, good afternoon.” I waved at her.

 

“Ah! G-good afternoon to y-you too!” She greeted me back in a wobbly voice.

 

W-what’s with the unexpectedly loud greeting...? Although surprised, I was able to nod in response as I sat beside her.

 

What came next are things I am already familiar with. She brought out a can of cat food for Kuro to eat. While the kitten herself started to make another mess. It was the normal routine for the two.

 

Although this time around, I was included in the equation.

 

I was playing with Kuro with a ball of yarn I brought, courtesy from my younger sister. I looked back at Inoue-san when I saw her opening her mouth as if about to say something.

 

“...?”

 

As I was about to hear something from her, she simply closed her mouth and shook her hands.

 

‘What was that about...?’

 

It was the same thing a bit later. I was throwing the empty can of cat food at the nearby garbage can when I saw her about to say something to me.

 

“Hm?”

 

Once again, she just closed her mouth and shook her head, as if denying something.

 

‘Okay, there’s something wrong with her.’

 

If she keeps on doing this, she will end up not saying anything to me for the entire afternoon. Determined, I went up to her and asked her directly.

 

“Is there something you want to say, Inoue-san?”

 

“E-eh? W-what do you mean, A-Azama-kun?”

 

“I mean... you were trying to say something to me this entire time right? I saw you about to open your mouth to speak but closed it, twice now.”

 

“H-How did you see me doing t-that!? D-Do you have eagle eyes or something!?”

 

“No no, it is plainly obvious.” I shook my hands in denial.

 

“U-uuu...” A sullen look fell upon her face as a depressing aura was coming off her.

 

‘You really don’t have to be that sad about it.’

 

But I chose not to say that, fearing that it will just dig her deeper in the hole. I simply sighed as I stood up and started searching for my wallet.

“What drink do you want from the vending machine?”

 

“Eh?” She looked up at me with a surprised face, “Y-You don’t have to buy me a drink though!

 

“What if I say this is a treat from a friend to another?”

 

Inoue-san immediately flinched as soon as she heard the word ‘friend’ in the sentence.

 

“I would like Lemon Tea please...” She murmured in defeat.

 

“Coming right up.” I said in a not-so mocking voice.

 

I went to the vending machine and brought her lemon tea drink with my Dr. Pepper one. When I returned, I gave her a bottle.

 

“T-Thank you.” She bowed a little.

 

“You're welcome.”

 

I opened my can and started gulping down the cold drink down my throat.

 

“Fuah...”

 

Inoue-san let out a sound of relief as she drank her lemon tea.

 

“Finally calmed down a little?” I asked her.

 

“Y-Yes... Wait, how did you know I was feeling tense?”

 

“It was quite visible on your face this entire time. That is why I brought you a drink to calm you down.”

 

“Oh...” She started slapping her cheeks lightly, as if checking it herself.

 

Even Inoue-san didn’t notice that she was acting strange this entire time. I wonder what is bothering her?

 

“Sorry, Asama-kun...”

 

“Huh?” I looked at her, confused as to why she was apologizing.

 

“I was feeling so nervous that I didn’t notice that it was already obvious that I was feeling tense. I didn’t mean to worry you.”

 

“No worries.” I replied, “But why are you nervous in the first place?”

 

”Um... it’s because... I don’t know what to say or do... around a friend...”

 

‘That’s her reason!?’

 

She looked at me shyly with innocent eyes while fidgeting around with her fingers. I instantly looked away from her as I found myself blushing a little.

 

Did I really over-worry about her for no reason? No wait, this is actually very much like her.

 

“I-It’s really stupid, isn’t it?” She mumbled.

 

“What? No! I don’t it is stupid at all!”

 

Yeah, I should have expected this in the first place. If she knew how to handle a situation like this, then she wouldn't have needed me to help her, right?

 

“Inoue-san, you really don’t have to act differently around friends.”

 

“R-really?”

 

“Yeah. You don’t have to do anything right away. It is important to know that you can take things slow and easy.”

 

“Slow and easy...”

 

“Since we don’t know each other that well, it makes sense you are nervous around me. But that can change over time the more we hang out. That’s why I don’t expect you to be comfortable with me right away.”

 

“B-but are you okay with that?”

 

“Of course. I mean it will be inconsiderate of me if I don’t, right?”

 

Inoue-san continued to look at me with a surprised look. I can see the uneasiness on her face going away.

 

“I-I understand, Azama-kun. I guess I was nervous for no reason after all.”

 

“Don’t worry about it.” I replied, “You can always ask me anything if you need to.”

 

“I see.” She uttered, “Then is it okay if I ask questions about you in the future?”

 

“Sure... eh?” Wait, what did she just say?

 

“Yes! I look forward to knowing more about you!”

 

She delightfully smiled at me, her face shining brighter than usual.

 

“Y-yeah, me too...” I let out a weak reply, deciding not to ruin her mood.

 

I may have dug myself a hold that I can’t get out of. I should have phrased what I said properly. But I guess this isn’t that bad.

 

With this, I at least got a bit closer with Inoue-san than before.

 


Hello to everyone!

Thank you so much for coming by and reading this series!

This is my first time writing a original series since I started writing stories. I have actually made 2 other fanfictions before through my Wattpad account, LJTanaguchi. 

But I hope you enjoy these first five chapters. Critics and comments are always welcome if you guys have any suggestions on how I can improve. Also please don't forget to favorite, rate, and bookmark this series as it motivates me to continue. 

Anyway that is all and see you guys next time!

0