Arc 1 Ch 13 – The 99th Task
44 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

HighRoller > ElitePhantom01: Hugo, we have to talk. It’s about Hanna. I just thought you deserve to know. I just found out myself.

He knew he’d have to type for a moment, so he cheekily stuck his tongue and joked that he got a message from a pretty girl and needed a moment. Their jeering about him prioritizing hoes over bros intermingled with his whispers with HighRoller.

ElitePhantom01 > HighRoller: Amy? I’m not too sure what you’re talking about, I think I know Hanna pretty well. I can’t imagine that she changed that much from high school. :P 

HighRoller > ElitePhantom01: It’s not like that. She... I don’t think it’s a good idea to talk about this while your still streaming. My number is 555-243-8697. Just let me know when you’re finished, okay?

Hugo stroked his chin as if he was in deep thought to entertain his viewers. He smiled and typed his reply to Amy.

ElitePhantom01 > HighRoller: This seems important to you and the stream today wasn’t very good. Just give me a few moments. :D

“Well guys, it looks like I might have to go~! What do you mean, is that what was distracting me?? I’m obviously a very serious streamer who wouldn’t slack off, okay~? Is it a date? Well, something like that I guess. I can’t keep a lady waiting!! Ciao for now~!”

Hugo blew a kiss at the audience and ended the stream. He typed Amy’s number into his phone and moved over to the bed and laid back to text her.

Me: Hey, what’s up? I’m here.

Me: do you want to call or txt? 

It took a moment for her to reply.

243-8697: Hey I don’t think I can talk rn. I wish I could. No one deserves to find this out through text but I just can’t. I’m sorry. I’m so sorry Hugo.

Me: ????

Hugo didn’t know what to think of what Amy had said so far. She seemed more emotional than he remembered and he couldn’t think of anything bad enough to warrant this kind of reaction. He had just met her, so decided to wait for her to explain before judging. His phone dinged.

243-8697: Hanna jumped off a building an hour ago Hugo. 

Me: Wait what? Why would she do that? Is she hurt?

Me: I’m calling.

Hugo truly didn’t expect this kind of revelation. His fingers shook as he pressed the screen to call her. She picked up, but was obviously sobbing. Hugo just saw Hanna yesterday, he didn’t believe anything serious could have happened to her. 

Hugo’s voice still broke when he urgently questioned Amy. “What’s wrong? Are you okay? Is Hanna okay?”

Amy snapped back at him. “Who cares if I’m okay, okay!? Hanna, I still can’t believe it.”

“How badly is she hurt??”

Amy was preoccupied with her tears and Hugo repeated his question before she responded in between sobs. “It was a very tall building Hugo. The police said... the police said she died peacefully on impact. How could this have happened??”

Hugo was too shocked to give her a proper reply. After a while he stuttered. “A-Are you sure?” 

“Am I sure?! Hugo, her father identified her bo-belongings an hour ago. They called me in to answer questions since I... I was the last person to see her alive.”

“I’m sorry Amy... I was rude. I just still can’t believe... why would she even...” Hugo started to become as incoherent as Amy.

Amy took some deep breathes, obviously trying to calm down a little. “No, it’s okay. We’re both a little emotional right now.” By the end of her sentence she was already back in tears.

“Maybe, if I had called her. I might have known something was wrong. I could have...” 

“No Hugo... you don’t even have her number. I know because she- she told me that she wanted to make sure you got it next time. And how could you have known something was wrong? Even I... even I didn’t know. Did I even deserve to be her best friend?”

Hugo immediately tried to comfort her. “Amy no, you can’t think like that. I saw you two together and also how happy you made each other.”

“If I made her so happy, then why did she- why did she?!”

“...I wish I knew Amy. Hanna was one of my few real friends in life even if we hadn’t talked for a few years after high school.”

“You know Hugo, Hanna would be happy to hear that. She had always wondered if she was too mean to you.”

“Not at all! I mean sure, I was embarrassed and didn’t always like it. However, she had this way of looking straight at me and seeing me for who I am... Her sincerity was worth getting teased a little.”

Amy is down to sniffling and sounds like she may be smiling a little. “That’s true isn’t it. Hanna always saw my personality first and not my physical... attributes second.”

Hugo sighs. “I still don’t understand. Do the police have any clues yet?”

“Well...” Amy made a sad chuckle. “The police found a note, but I don’t know what it says. They’re ‘still investigating’ and all that.”

“Will it be weird if I say I miss her more than ever?”

“No... I know what you mean. Would you mind... staying on the line for a bit? I don’t really feel up to talking anymore, but I don’t want to be alone right now...”

Hugo rubbed away a tear that leaked from his eye. “I don’t want to be either.”

Hugo didn’t hang up until Amy’s snores made their way through the earpiece. He didn’t know what to do or say. He hugged his pillow instead of punching it for once, and sat staring into space as he tried to process what happened.

Part of me does not want to dwell on or even mention suicide, and it’s this part of me that found it important to talk about it outside of the story. Suicide is very serious for both the people who attempt it and the people (friends, family, acquaintances, law enforcement) who are effected by it. Most attempts instead fail or lead to an experience worse than the one that drove the person to that point. However, there are warning signs if someone is contemplating suicide. Please read this if you think someone you know might be at risk. 

On another note, I’ll try to not leave this cliffhanger for too long. I don’t like ending chapters on a sad note. 

Fun Fact: 555 numbers (specifically 0100-0199) are used for specifically fictional purposes. Hollywood in particular often used completely false numbers used in films and other media.

0