Chapter 11
942 9 59
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Cailyn sat behind the glass display case, her mind wandering as she listened to music on her tablet. It had been a horrendously slow day, and even scrolling through her socials was getting boring.

It was hard not to think about everything that had happened lately. Business had carried on at the shop, mostly as usual. Nate had called in a favor to get an ‘old friend’ to make his deliveries while Chris was waiting to unravel. Rather, it was life at home that had become crazy.

Chris might be in denial that he was getting girlier, but there was no ignoring it from the outside. If it wasn’t for the fact that he was a Knot Thing, he’d easily pass for an elementary girl, height wise… and he was getting taller every day, it seemed. By the end of the week, Cailyn  figured that he’d be at his full height if he kept growing like he had been.

The bell over the door chimed, snapping her out of her thoughts. She eyed the roughly college-aged couple as they entered the shop.

“Welcome. Let me know if you see anything that interests you.”

“Sure, thanks,” the girl said with a smile as they started to browse the displays.

Cay watched with fading interest as they walked around, slowly looking at the antiques the shop had for sale.

Nearly half an hour passed before they finally approached the counter with a few smaller items in hand. They placed them out on the counter, and the girl began looking at the jewelry in the case in front of Cailyn while the guy idled awkwardly.

“Oh wow, that’s so pretty. What do you think, Robbie?”

“It’s nice. Like it?” the guy asked, looking into the case.

“Yeah! Excuse me, can I see that ring there?” She pointed at a slightly tarnished silver ring, set with a marquise cut sapphire.

“Sure,” Cay unlocked the back of the case and pulled out the ring, carefully watching them as they inspected it.

The girl slipped the ring onto her finger, and smiled as it fit perfectly. “What do you think?”

“Looks great, babe,” the guy replied.

“Thanks!” She smiled, then turned to Cailyn. “How much is it?”

“That one is…” Cay trailed off as she found its tag on the back of the spot it had been placed. “Uhhh, a hundred bucks.” Being college kids, she expected the price to send them running - especially with the other things they’d picked up. 

“Wow, for something this nice? That’s crazy cheap… We’ll definitely take it!” She smiled happily, and clung to her boyfriend’s arm.

“You heard the lady, guess we’re buying it,” the guy said with a laugh.

“You got it. Let me ring this all up for you.” Cay went through the routine, checking them out for all the stuff they’d bought, wrapping the fragile stuff in newspaper before bundling it up in bags to send home with them.

“Thank you so much,” the girl said as they headed for the door.

“Thanks, you have a nice night,” the guy added.

“Yep, you too, have a good one,” Cay shot back.

The college guy paused, holding the door for a moment as he and his girlfriend stepped outside.

“Why thank you,” another, eerily familiar voice drawled. “Good evenin’, Miss Rowe,” its owner croaked as he entered the shop.

Cailyn’s heart nearly stopped. Standing in the doorway was the ever intimidating Mister Boucher.

“Ah, good evening, Mr. Boucher. What brings you by today?” Cailyn tried to hide the quaking nerves. This guy always set her teeth on edge.

“Oh nothin’ in particular, jus’ thought I’d swing on by an’ have a look-see around the place. Chat with y’all and see how ol’ Nate liked my gift.” 

“Y-your gift…?” She remembered the package, the cause of all this. “That damn thing killed Christian!” She snapped, forgetting who she was talking to for a moment.

Boucher’s eyes narrowed, and the room dimmed around him. “Excuse me?”

“Shit, I uh-”

His hand clasped around her throat, cutting her off. Darkness swallowed the room, leaving only the horrid technicolor hues of Boucher’s skeletal bokor mask, and its baleful, burning eye sockets.

“You’re gonna tell me everything that’s happened since Chrissi went and ruined my surprise, little flower…” 

Cailyn gasped for air and struggled as he held her firmly in place. There was no hope of escape. Not without being able to call for Nathaniel.

The fire in his eyes burned brighter, and she felt a wave of power wash over her. Her struggling slowed, then ceased.

“Of course,” she said numbly. Her mind was closed in fog, and all she wanted to do was exactly as Boucher instructed.

She told him in detail about everything that had happened. Chris’ death. The Knot Thing. The demonic presence. The soulcatcher.

“Stop. Do y’all still have the soulcatcher with that demon in it?” Boucher asked.

Her mind was screaming danger, telling her to fight, but the hand holding her just loosely enough to allow her to speak, and the forceful magic slamming against her mind and body told her to obey, to answer her new master.

“Yes,” she replied, nodding as best she could. 

“You know where it is?” he asked.

“The vault,” she muttered.

“Can you get it for me?”

“Yes.”

“Good girl. Run along and get it for me then.” He released her and let her fall to the floor.

“Yes, master.” Cailyn stood and walked to the doorway to the back rooms. Getting to the vault was easy if you knew how. Fortunately for her and her master, she knew how.

She followed the hallway to the nearest navigation panel, and instead of selecting any of the numbered listings, she placed a finger at the bottom of the panel and traced a series of runes. In an instant, she was whisked away to the vault.

Counter to expectation, it was no great metal door with myriad tumblers and big spinning handles. It was just another storage room, albeit reinforced and magically hidden from most people.

Cailyn opened the door and stepped inside, ignoring the number of other sealed treasures and threats within the seemingly endless expanse of the vault. With nearly laser-focus, she founds her way to the soulcatcher in question and took it from containment.

‘Master will be so pleased,’ she thought, smiling as she carried it out of the vault.

“Excuse me, Cailyn… might I ask what you’re doing?” Nathaniel asked, blocking the doorway.

“Oh, boss… I was just bringing this to…” A sharp pain surged through her head, and she clutched at her temples, crying out.

“Cailyn?!” Nathaniel hurried to her side, catching her as she fell. 

The pain and fog started to fade, leaving her feeling lost. “Nate? Where…?”

“It’s alright, Cailyn. Let’s get you to my office and we’ll figure this out.” Nathaniel took her up in his arms and carried her away from the vault - after returning the Soulcatcher to its proper place with a flick of his wrist. 

She fell asleep the moment he placed her down on the couch. Seeing that she was safe, he turned his attention to checking to make sure the Underground was secure.

A quick magical scan told him that all the storerooms were intact. Looking out at the shop, he saw nobody was present. Now it would come down to hoping that Cailyn could tell him who had bespelled her.

=====

Cailyn’s mind was a swirling mess of fog as she stumbled through an endless bayou. Voices cried out from every direction, beckoning her to leave the narrow path she was walking upon.

Something told her that if she left the path, she’d never find it again.

“Cailyn, help!” Aiden screamed. Just out of reach, he was floundering in the water. 

She nearly took a step to help him, but something held her back. Held her on the path.

“Come on, Cay… you know that’s not him,” a girl said. Something was familiar about her voice.

“Yeah, I know…” Cailyn mumbled. 

“Cailyn!!” Chris shrieked, reaching from the swampy waters.

“Chris!” Cay nearly made it off the path before she was yanked back.

“That’s definitely not real,” the girl said spitefully. “Good riddance.” 

“Hey… he’s my friend,” Cailyn protested.

“Uh-huh… I am, and that’s why I’m not letting you go get yourself killed.”

Cailyn stumbled after the girl that was holding her hand, pulling her along. She just seemed so very familiar… comfortable to be around.

“Christian?” she mumbled.

“Yeah?” the girl said, continuing her march forward

“Why do you look like a girl?” Cay asked, her voice sounding distant even to her own ears.

“Huh? I don’t– Oh, you’re waking up–” 

Cailyn awoke to the lowered lights of Nathaniel’s office, a clock on the wall reading 3:45. Her heart was pounding in her chest, and she felt like she’d run a marathon.

Strangest of all was the weird phantom warmth in her hand, and the sensation someone had been holding it only moments ago.

59