Chapter 1: Girls’ Night [Edited]
559 4 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Alicia’s POV

 

“That’s all for today, I hope you enjoyed the songs!” I cheerfully say while bowing to the crowd that has gathered around me, their faces beaming with admiration, before stepping out of the scene with my lyre.

 

As I look at the people here, I notice a dark-haired girl with heterochromia who appears especially sad to see me end my performance so soon, as she keeps staring at me, a burning passion in her eyes. I have glanced at her a few times during the show, as well, as I find her pretty cute. If it wasn't for me being completely exhausted after singing and dancing, I would probably try talking to her, as she really seems to have loved my songs, but I prefer to go back to my room, the pain in my muscles and my dry throat encouraging me to take a rest.

"Maybe I'll see her again later..."

 

I open the door, quickly remove my clothes, drink a full bottle of water, and flopp onto the bed, welcoming the sweet embrace of sleep.

I wake up to the sound of my door being opened, and see someone who looks like my identical twin coming in, with shining blonde hair and glowing emerald eyes, wearing the clothes I threw off earlier, a grin on her face...

 

I immediately know what she did, making me blush furiously…

"Come on, Kisa! That's not fair!", I shout, or at least try to, considering how sore my throat still is after all the singing, at the girl in front of me, who has been my travelling companion for a few months now.

 

"Haha, sorry Ali! It's just way easier to flirt with people with a face as beautiful as yours!" Kisara answers while removing the clothes and turning back into the tall and cute Elf form I was used to. "Besides, you Aasimars are gifted with talent and beauty, I'd say that's also pretty unfair!" she adds, giggling, as she then moves to grab her own clothes.

 

Kisara is a Kitsune, but I have never seen her ever turn back into her original form. She said that she hated it, and that this particular Elf form is what she considers to be her true self. She uses the name Syliana in this form and has long blond hair and light blue eyes. If I hadn’t learned about it by accident, I would never have guessed, as she acts exactly like an Elf would, in public at least, but she became more relaxed around me since I first met her.

 

As for me, my name is Alicia. I'm an Aasimar, and I'm a Bard. I know that I've always loved to sing and share my love for music with other people, so it was a natural fit for me. Aasimars are known for being way above average when it comes to looks, thanks to the celestial blood in us, and I'm well aware of how much of an impact my appearance has on the people around me and that it plays a big part in how my performances are received.

 

About five months ago, I lost a good portion of my memories, and I can't even remember why. Kisara found me unconscious deep inside a forest, and brought me back to her camp to heal me. I don't remember where I'm from, what my family looked like, or even why I left them… I remember some cities I visited, some people I've met, but there are holes everywhere... I've been travelling with Kisara since then, with the hope of finding my hometown and family, or people who would recognize me and tell me where I was from.

 

As for Kisara, from what she said to me, she decided to travel in order to find her lover again. It's been almost ten years, but she still hasn't given up. I really admire her determination.

 

"Furthermore... I remember seeing you look in that girl's direction quite a lot while we were in the tavern, Ali. I was just giving your relationship a start~." she jokes, winking at me.

 

"Ah, she noticed it..." I thought that this girl looked quite cute, and she had a really bright smile.

 

"I... Yes, but now, I'm the one who has to deal with her! I don't even know her! Y-you know full well that I don't know anything about dating!" I sheepishly reply, fidgeting with my fingers.

 

I'm a very friendly and social person, but I'm really insecure when it comes to love. I know that I’m beautiful, and I’m afraid of people seeing me only for what I look like, and not for what I am.

 

"So, what? You want me to flirt more with her instead~? I wouldn't mind, honestly, she's pretty cute~!" Kisara speak while smirking, but I know that she would never really do it.

 

"I never said that! Just… You should have told me beforehand! W-what do you know about her?" I ask, shyness in my voice.

 

She smiles at me and answers. "Her name is Irina, she's a Human who fell in love with your songs, and you, apparently. She's a Cleric of Iomedae wandering from village to village in order to offer her services to the people who need them. We didn't talk much, I just offered to grab a drink with her later, aware that you'd be interested."

 

"Oh, I didn't expect her to be a Cleric. From what you told me, I'm sure we'll get along well, but I can't help but feel nervous…"

 

"After a drink or two, all the nervousness will fade, don't worry about that!", she giggles while giving me a pat on the back.

 

"O-okay…", I timidly reply. I don't like alcohol, so the chances of this happening anytime soon are fairly low...

 

Kisara chuckles. "Want me to come with you~? She never said anything about you coming alone, after all~."

 

I clench my fists, trying to give me some courage. "I… I need to do that alone."

 

"Alright! I'm going to take a bath, then. Good luck!", she smiles and leaves, waving at me.

 

Since I'm performing at the inn for the duration of our stay, I was able to get us a free room, the innkeeper having taken a liking to my songs. It is the best room of the inn. As we aren't in a big city, it's nothing too fancy, but it is still pretty comfortable, with a king-sized bed that I share with Kisara.

 

I lay on my back, staring at the ceiling.

 

"You can do it, Alicia... You can sing in front of dozens of people and be friendly with others... Talking to her should be child's play for you..." I whisper to myself, imagining different scenarios in my head, but it is hard, considering that I know next to nothing about her. Kisara is the one who talked to her, after all. "Is Irina shy? Is she flirty? Is she strict? I forgot to ask Kisara about her personality..."

 

"Still here? If you don't hurry, you're going to be late." Kisara's voice breaks me out of my thoughts, and I realise that she is right, as she is walking back into the room, her hair still wet from the bath.

 

I jump out of the bed and search through my belongings in order to find an outfit more appropriate for a date. I take out a long white skirt and a golden top, alongside a pair of white flat shoes. I've always loved these colours, and I thought it would be a perfect combination.

Once dressed up, I leave the room and go to wait at the tavern, as Kisara told me Irina would meet me there. I'm so nervous, but I can't back down. I just need to think of something that would help me relax.

 

I close my eyes, trying to think of something calming… Like the sea shore...

I see myself walking along the beach, with a coastal town nearby. I feel the soft breeze caressing my face, and smell the salty air of the ocean… I can see someone further away, looking in my direction, but I can't distinguish what they look like in detail...

 

"Is it… a memory? Have I been there before?"

 

I don't remember seeing the sea, but I can clearly imagine it... I know I have to find that place and that person, now.

 

I am so lost in my (potential) memories that I don't notice the cute girl I've been waiting for sitting next to me. That is, until she starts to shake my arm to get my attention.

 

"W-what?" I'm confused at first, but quickly notice her.

 

"Alicia? Are you okay?" the girl, Irina, asks, looking genuinely worried.

 

I don't understand why she asks me that until I feel a tear rolling down my cheek.

 

"Y-yes, I was just… thinking." I reply shyly.

 

"What a way to start your date, Ali... Great job!"

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

"So… I've been told you really liked my latest performance?", I start, unsure as to what I should talk about. It is my first date, after all. At least, as much as I can remember...

 

"Oh yes! You're so passionate when you sing! And the lyrics of your songs are so beautiful!" She replies enthusiastically, clapping her hands.

 

"Thanks. I love writing new songs, I'm glad the latest ones had such an impact on some people." I smile, happy to hear that.

 

"Some people? The whole inn was mesmerised by your songs!"

 

"R-really? When I perform, I'm so absorbed in my performance that I don't notice the world around me anymore."

 

"That's the impression I got, indeed. I'm sure you're making some deities jealous!" she says, giggling.

 

"T-thank you…" I shyly reply, blushing quite a lot.

We stop our conversation when the bartender approach us. Irina orders some beer, while I just have some lemonade.

 

After that, Irina speaks again. "Any reason why you came to this village?"

 

"Not really. I'm just travelling with my friend, and we decided to stop there to rest for a few days. Sleeping in a bed is way better than under a tent."

 

"I see. I'm really glad I managed to be in this village while you were staying here. The deities must have rewarded my efforts by allowing me to enjoy such a wonderful show.... and meet such a stunning lady." She adds, raising her glass towards the ceiling before drinking it up.

 

"H-hehe… Thanks…" I reply, scratching my chin.

 

She looks back at me, raising an eyebrow. "You're pretty different from earlier, you know? You're more shy."

 

"Oh… I-it's because I… I drank a bit last time! I'm different when I'm tipsy!" I look away, trying to come up with an excuse for Kisara’s actions.  It was so embarrassing!

 

"Maybe you should drink with me, then?" She asks, smirking and raising her glass in my direction.

 

"I… You can drink if you want, but… I won't. Sorry."

 

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not forcing you into anything. You don't have to apologise." The worried smile she makes is cute. She seems to really care about my well-being. She is a nice person, yes.

 

"Do you think we could leave? Maybe take a walk around the plaza?" I ask, once she finishes her first glass.

I like to perform in taverns, but I don't really enjoy being in one as a customer, I feel a bit uncomfortable.

 

"Oh, sure!" She responds enthusiastically. "I find this tavern a bit boring, to be honest. Since you're not performing in it." She adds with a bright smile, making me blush again...

 

I stand up and leave, with her following me. The tavern is fairly close to the plaza, so we just walk for a few minutes.

 

The town we are in isn't too small, but it is far from being a major city. It is just the right size to be enjoyable without having to deal with too many people in the streets. It is the second town of this size that we stopped in since I started travelling with Kisara, but I am fairly certain that I've been in dozens of them before that, even if I can only remember a few.

 

The sun was starting to set, and the way it shines through the hills makes the place even more beautiful.

"It's such a wonderful sight.", Irina comments, leaning against a fence and admiring the view. "Ever since I left Absalom and discovered the tranquility of small towns and villages, I can't stand big cities anymore."

 

"Oh, you are from Absalom?", I ask, curious. I don't think I've ever been there, but it is a city famous for its wealth and the Starstone Cathedral, where courageous mortals can attempt to become deities by going through the trial of the Starstone. Only a few managed to succeed, Iomedae being one of them.

 

"Yeah, but I couldn't stand it. Despite being the location of the main Church of Iomedae, the city is filled with corruption and injustice." She replies, grinding her teeth. "A lot of hypocrites who worship money above all else." She then smiles and tried to change the subject. "And you, where are you from?"

 

At that question, sadness overcomes me...

"I… I don't know…"

 

"H-how do you not know?" She asks, looking confused by my answer.

 

"I... lost a lot of my memories a few months ago..." I look down, gripping my skirt tightly. "I've been travelling with my friend in the hope that, by maybe visiting some places, my memories would come back."

 

"Oh… I'm sorry…" Irina seems sad and worried, so I give her a warm smile to reassure her.

 

"You didn't know, you don't need to apologise. I'm slowly getting used to it, anyway."

 

"Have you tried praying? The deities might help you, you never know."

She's a Cleric, after all, so it is to be expected...

 

I let out a sigh. "I tried, yes. I'm a follower of Shelyn, and I often pray to her, but I haven't gotten any response yet."

 

"Shelyn never let down her devoted followers. I'm sure that she will help you. But deities rarely intervene directly, so her help might be more subtle."

 

"What do you mean?" I ask, tilting my head. I may be a follower of Shelyn, but it doesn't mean that I am well-versed into how deities work.

 

"Maybe us meeting today was part of her plan to help you, who knows? Maybe she stealthily guided me here so I could be of help to you."

She takes my hand in hers, her brown and blue eyes staring into mine with warm and assurance.

"You know that I'm travelling from town to town to help people, so maybe I could accompany you on your journey? That is, if your friend agrees."

 

Her reply truly stuns me.

"W-we just met, though! W-why would you want to do that?"

 

"I'm a Cleric of Iomedae. My duty is to help those in need, and you are clearly in need, Alicia. What kind of Cleric would I be if I let you on your own?" She adds, pointing her finger at me.

 

"Thank you… I'll ask my friend, and we'll meet you tomorrow to give you our answer."

 

"Alright. I'm staying at the church, and that's where I work while I'm here, so you can come tomorrow. It was nice meeting you, Alicia, and I pray that you will get your memories back soon." She says, and comes closer, hugging me.

"Stay strong."

 

I wasn't expecting her to hug me, so I'm a bit taken aback.

"I-I will…"

 

She let go of me, and steps back a little.

"Have a good evening, Alicia."

 

"Y-you too, Irina." I shyly reply.

We part ways, with her going towards the church of the village, and me trying to regain my composure after this strange date.

Once I arrive at the inn, I go back to our room, only to see Kisara sitting on the border of the window, looking at the red sky with a melancholic expression.

 

Until she notices me. Her expression then shifts to a smile, but I know that it is a fake one.

"How was your little date, girl?" She asks, trying to sound cheerful.

 

"It went pretty well, I think." I reply, smiling a bit.

 

Kisara's eyes are avoiding me, so I decide to confront her about it.

“You were thinking about her, right?” I add, knowing full well why she is in that state.

 

As soon as I say that, her forced smile fades.

“Y-yes... I'm always thinking about her..."

 

She leaves the window and goes to sit on the bed.

"She's the only person that I ever truly loved, and yet, I never got the courage to tell her what I really was... This guilt has been eating me alive ever since...”

 

Kisara then just curls up on the bed, and cries.

It isn't the first time I watch that scene play out in a similar fashion, but it never stops breaking my heart to see her suffer so much.

 

Camelia, that is the name of the woman she loves. The one she has been tracking down for almost ten years.

"We will find her, I promise you." I say, softly, before sitting by her side, caressing her hair like I became used to ever since I learned about her story.
Her long silky hair is really soft to the touch. Even if she said that I was gifted with beauty, I think that she really doesn't have any reason to be jealous. She is beautiful as well, both on the outside and the inside.

She might seem like a confident and strong-willed woman in public, but, in reality, she is an emotionally broken person. And I am the only person with whom she is allowed to be herself.

She goes to put her head on my lap, still crying, and I keep carressing her hair.

 

"I'll always be by your side..." I softly speak in her ear.
She saved my life, it is natural for me to do everything I can to make her feel better.

Of course, my memory loss is bothering me, and if I can finally recover all the memories that I lost, I would greatly appreciate it, but I consider helping her reach her goal and reunite with Camelia to be far more important.

I've always been pretty selfless, after all.

 

"It will soon be ten years..." She starts. "I... I'm not even sure anymore..." "But... I don't have anything else... She was the person who made me learn what happiness truly meant..."

 

"And that's why we will find her, together." I reply, hugging her. "I will do whatever I can to help you find her."

We stay like that for a while, with her face burried in my chest, crying until she falls asleep.

 

"I'm so jealous of you, Camelia..." I whisper, as to not wake up Kisara, before falling asleep as well, hugging her tightly.

7