Chapter 5: Encounter
127 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Camelia’s POV

 

"We're about to reach the borders of Druma, get back inside me." I ask Ami, who's been walking next to Scarlet.

 

"Alrighty~!" Ami replies before jumping straight into me and vanishing. "It's been a while since I was able to stay outside for so long, it was nice."

 

"Yeah, but we won't have a lot of opportunities to do that in Druma, unfortunately."

 

Druma is a nation purely focused on wealth and trade, led by a strange sect centered around a prophecy, instead of a particular deity. I don't know what their views on spiritualists were, but I prefer to be cautious.

 

"It should only take two weeks to cross it and reach the Molthune. Then we'll just have to cross it and Nirmathas and we'll reach Varisia."

 

We approach the walls, and a guard confronts me. "Please state your identity and your intentions, traveller."

 

I get on the ground, grab my documents, and bow in a manner typical of a noble. "I am but a humble wandering Cavalier hoping to cross Druma and reach Molthune. May I be allowed inside, good sir?"

 

The guard look at the documents, which has a stamp from the Order of the Sword. I hope it will be enough.

All members of the Ornelos family have an engraved ring, specifically made for them and enchanted in a way that makes it only wearable by the original owner. It would make things easier to cross borders if I were to show it to the guards, as my family is known all around the continent, but I don't want to use it unless it is absolutely necessary. My documentation is usually enough.

I am fairly certain that I will have to confront my parents at some point, though. I most likely won't be able to stay in Varisia without settling things with them.

 

After a few minutes, the guard speaks. "Hmm, do you mind waiting a few days at the inn, miss? We need to confirm that this document is authentic."

 

"Is there something wrong with it?" I ask, confused.

 

"No, it's just the procedure. We're getting more cautious about fake documentation nowadays."

 

"I understand, it's better to be cautious. How long would it take?'

 

"Usually, about three days, but maybe a week."

 

"I see. Do you perhaps have some issues with brigands or monsters currently? I could help while waiting for my documents to be sorted out." I ask, tapping the tip of the morning star strapped to the right side of my hips.

 

"We do have an issue with a group of bandits farther away, but we wouldn't be able to pay you fairly." the guard say, pointing towards the forest.

 

"It's not a problem. I just want to make myself useful." I reply, smiling at the guard. "How many bandits are we talking about?"

 

"We believe that they're a group of seven people, I wouldn't advise you fighting them on your own." he says. His voice makes me believe that he is truly worried for me.

 

"Oh, do not worry, I can deal with them. I faced way worse." I chuckle, remembering some of my adventures.

 

"If you say so. Please be careful, miss."

 

"I will, thank you." I add before walking towards the forest.

 

As soon as we get out of view, I summon Ami by my side and grab my crossbow bolts that were hanging from Scarlet's saddle. I don't have a crossbow anymore, but I don't need one.

 

"Let's get to work, Ami. You know the drill."

 

She shrugs. "Yeah, I stay hidden while you ask them to surrender, and, once they refuse, I jump out and we start killing them."

 

I let out a sigh. "I always hope that, someday, some will just surrender peacefully."

 

"I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon."

 

"We never know." We carefully explore the forest, wary. The bandits trapped it fairly well, and it takes us some time to disarm everything.

 

Finally, as the sun is starting to set, we find the camp, with the bandits sitting around a bonfire.  Ami immediately becomes invisible and stays behind me, covering my back, as I slowly approach them, my shield and morning star ready. 

"Are you the bandits stealing from the caravans going to Druma?" I ask, lifting my weapon towards them. In my left hand, hidden, I am holding a crossbow bolt, as my shield is the kind that is strapped on the forearm and allows the usage of the hand.

 

"Who are you?" A tall and imposing woman stand up, a battle axe in her hands. She is most likely a demi-orc, judging by her stature and face.

 

"I am Camelia, a Cavalier, and I came to stop you. Follow me peacefully to the guards and I'll let you live."

 

At that, they all burst out laughing before grabbing their weapons. I was getting used to this reaction, so I stay unphased as I am already searching for my first target. I find a man in the back with a crossbow, and decide to take him out first. Crossbows can be pretty annoying.

 

"I see, then I will have to kill you." As soon as I say that, I throw the bolt with a telekinetic pulse towards the man, stabbing him in the chest.

 

They are all stunned briefly at the scene, before another bandit try to hit me with an arrow. I swiftly block it with my shield as I let Ami run through me. She starts to attack a few other bandits, injuring them one by one, as they are powerless to stop her, conventional weapons not having any effects on a phantom. She is laughing cheerfully in all this mayhem, finally being able to have some fun after all this time.

 

While Ami is playing around, the leader approaches me and uses all her strength to try to crush me with her axe. I dodge and bash her face with my shield before using my left hand to cast a paralysis spell on her. She falls to her knees, dropping her axe, and I knock her out with another violent shield bash. I want to bring her alive.

 

Ami takes care of all the other bandits except one, the archer who tried to hit me. She is shivering, petrified by fear.

 

I glare at her and speak. "Will you follow me to the borders, or will you die here? It's your choice. If you follow me willingly, I could try to ease your sentences."

 

She immediately drops her bow and goes on all four, begging to be spared.

 

"Ami, can you tie her up while I'm taking care of the leader?" I ask, throwing Ami some ropes.

 

"Okay~" she says, whistling as she throttles towards the woman. "Don't move, missie, or I'll have to punish you. I don't like you trying to hurt my partner."

 

I chuckles as I restrain the demi-orc. Ami was pretty possessive of me, but I found that adorable.

 

Among the other bandits, four were killed. I manage to save the life of the third one and tie him up as well. He willingly decides to surrender once I stop the bleeding. I painfully carry the leader to Scarlet and tie her. She is too heavy for Scarlet to carry her, so she will follow from behind, like her companions.

As I am waiting for her to wake up, I take this time to dig a grave with Ami's help, and burry the four bandits who died.

 

The leader wakes up some time after. "What happened…" she asks dizzily.

 

"You're under arrest, and will follow me peacefully with your remaining companions. That's what's happening." I firly reply, while Ami is sitting on Scarlet and smirking at them.

 

"Y-you…" the demi-orc's eyes widen as she sees me. She then notices the shackles I put on her, for extra safety. She looks down and murmures. "My men…"

 

"Two survived, and are behind you. I buried the other ones. I warned you, but you didn't listen."

 

The trip back to the border is silent. The three bandits mourn their fallen comrades as we walk. I feel pity for them. Even if they are criminals, they seem to care about one another.

 

"I am sorry about the death of your friends. I would have liked to settle this peacefully." I speak, looking at them.

 

"It didn't prevent that monster from killing them…" the leader comments, glaring at Ami.

 

"I'm not a monster, I'm just a little girl, are you blind?" she replies, pouting.

 

"Ami, just ignore them. We're getting close to the borders, so come back." I say, patting my chest.

 

"Okay…" Ami is disappointed that she has to hide again so soon, but we don't have a choice.

She jumps inside me, making me lose my balance for a brief instant.

 

After regaining my composure, I look back at the bandits. "I imagine that spiritualists and phantoms aren't common around here, right?"

 

"No, we've never seen something like that before." the other female bandit shakes her head.

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

We reach the borders and I make a sign to the guards, showing them my prisoners.

They are surprised but quickly run towards me. "You really did it?" the guard I spoke to before asks, unable to believe it.

 

"As I said, I fought way worse opponents than a group of bandits." I wave it off. "By the way, these three willingly surrendered, so can I ask you to reduce their sentences?" The leader didn't surrender, but I decide to do her a favour.

 

"It might be possible, I'll note that they were cooperative. Your reward should be ready tomorrow, miss. We didn't expect someone to deal with them so easily, so we didn't have anything prepared." the guard nods as he scribbles something in his journal.

 

"Thank you. On that, I will leave you to rest at the inn. Have a nice day." I bow to them and leave with Scarlet to the inn.

 

It is a very impressive inn for one situated at the borders. Massive and visibly sturdy, with touches of wealth to decorate it. The inside has a beautiful red carpet that lead to the reception, as well as many plants and paintings decorating it. And, of course, paintings of the sect leader and symbols of the sect. A few guards are posted here, too, since it is an important place.

It makes it clear right away that this inn isn't for those who are running tight on money. It is for wealthy merchants and nobles; those are the kind of people that Druma welcomes with open arms.

 

I approach the receptionist after making sure to clean my boots. He observes me with a mix of curiosity and disdain, but tries to keep a straight face. "Welcome, miss, how can I help you?" he asks in a cordial tone.

 

"I would like to rent a room for a few nights, until my documents are properly sorted out." I say as I search through my bag.

 

"Hmm, this inn is fairly expensive, do you ha-"

 

I interrupt him by throwing a purse full of gold coins on the counter. "I have enough, yes. Now please bring me to my room."

 

The receptionist is aghast for a moment before shaking his head and gesturing towards the stairs. "Please follow me, my lady."

 

He lead me to a luxurious room, albeit not the most luxurious one of the inn. Still, it is everything I could ask for. A comfy bed, a private bath using magic tools, a big window with a nice view…

 

"It's perfect, thank you good sir." I say, entering and dropping my bag near the bed.

 

"If you need anything, feel free to ask, my lady." he speaks, bowing, before leaving me alone.

 

I chuckle, amused by his sudden shift of attitude as soon as he saw my gold. But I somewhat understand his reticence, I am wearing a fairly plain chainmail armor, nothing fancy. But I prefer practicality over design, and this armor has saved my life multiple times.

 

I remove it and then my clothes underneath, and walk towards the bathtub, activating the magic items inside. It has been a while since I enjoyed a good hot bath.

 

I go in, enjoying the warm water running across my body.

"Ah, it's so wonderful~" Ami whispers in my head. I can feel that she is enjoying it as much as I was.

 

"It is great." I reply, carefully washing my body at the same time. "I'm honestly getting tired of travelling the world and only having access to basic commodities once every blue moon. I hope we'll finally find a place to settle down in Varisia."

 

"It would be nice. I enjoy travelling with you and discovering new places, but we have pretty much explored most of Avistan by now, so settling down would be good."

 

"Yeah."

 

After a while, Ami speaks again. "If we meet the elf you were in love with, what will you do? Will you want to stay with her? Do you still love her?"

 

"Hmm…" It takes me some time to reply. I obviously still have feelings for her, but is it love? I am not sure, it has been so long. "I guess I'd need to see her again to answer that. I care a lot about her, but I'm not sure if I'm still in love per-say. Ever since we met, Ami, I haven't really thought about love, to be honest."

 

"I see. Just remember that I want you to be happy."  she says, and I can feel some warmth coming from within me.

 

"You're talking like a mother, you know? Shouldn't the roles be reversed?" I giggle.

 

Ami doesn't reply, making me realise that I slipped up.

 

"Do you… miss your mother?"

 

"She was the only company I had for a hundred years. Even if she ignored me both in life and in death, I do sometimes miss her, in a weird way."

 

"Sorry, Ami. I didn't want to make things awkward." I sheepishly say, putting my hand on my chest.

 

"It's okay, you don't have to apologise."

 

We stay in the bath for a few more minutes, in silence. I was trying to be a foster mother to her, considering that she didn't receive any love back when she was with her biological mother. I would love for her to consider me like a mother, someday, but she never called me like that so far.

 

I get out of the bath before my skin get all wrinkly and dry myself, before dropping onto the bed, tired.

 

"Well, goodnight Ami." I speak, closing my eyes. "I love you."

 

"I love you too." she replies. I fall asleep shortly after.

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

I had a dream of my past, when I was with my family.

 

"Why are they so insistent on me marrying this man from the Jeggare family?" I asked Roderick as I swung my sword at him. My eighteenth's birthday was approaching, and it would mean marrying Henry Jeggare, something that I despised thinking of.

 

He blocked it with his own sword and replied. "Because it would help consolidate the family's power. The Jeggare are among the strongest families in both Cheliax and Varisia. Even if the Ornelos are basically the rulers of Korvosa, it would serve to have some influence in Cheliax through the Jeggare."

 

He was right. The ruler of Korvosa usually always listens to the Peerage Review, a group of advisors composed of the heads of the most powerful houses of Korvosa, and the Ornelos are the most powerful among them.

 

"They don't care about me. I'm just a tool that they're using for their own gains." I grit my teeth as I slammed my sword against Roderick's. "I won't marry that man!"

 

"You know, the kid softened up as he grew older. I've met him a few times, he seems wise and kind, and would also like to be with someone he truly loves. You could always explain the situation to him and have a marriage of convenience, with the two of you keeping your partners at the same time."

 

"No, because I don't want my father to get anything. Even if Henry is no longer the brat he was when we met, I won't marry him."

 

"Then what do you have in mind, my lady?" he asked, raising an eyebrow. "You won't convince your father to cancel the wedding."

 

"I know, but there won't be any weddings, because I won't be here anymore. And you will help me, Roderick." I said defiantly.

 

"You want to run away? What makes you think I'd help you?"

 

"I know you, Roderick. Unlike my father, you care about me, and I care about you. All I need is for you to distract the guards in two nights, to give me the time to flee."

 

"And what will you do afterwards?" he questioned me, crossing his arms.

 

"I don't know yet, maybe ask Syliana for help." I hadn't planned that far ahead.

 

"It would only bring her trouble, my lady, and I know it's not your intention. Wait for a moment." he said and left the room.

 

Indeed, Syliana could be accused of having kidnapped me, or maybe even worse, and I didn't want that. I was afraid of Roderick telling my father, but he came back with a small notebook, and wrote something in it.

 

"When you flee, take this with you and show it to the leader of the Order of the Sword of Korvosa. They will help you." he gave me the notebook, which I grabbed. "I can't follow you and protect you, but they will, do not worry."

 

I observed the notebook, stupefied. I didn't expect Roderick to help me so much.

"Thank you!" I cried in joy as I went to hug him. "Thank you, Roderick!"

 

"It's too early to thank me. You will have to learn that the noble life is quite different from the life of common folks, and maybe you'll end up regretting leaving it behind."

 

"That's something I'll have to see for myself." I replied, smiling.

I then took a more serious tone. "When I leave, could you tell Syliana about my plan? I want her to know where I'll be."

 

"I will, my lady." he said, bowing.

 

"Thank you, Roderick." I beamed at him. I didn't want Syliana to worry for me.

 

<~><~><~><~>

 

When I wake up, the sun is already starting to rise. I get out of bed and stretch. 

 

"Good morning, Ami." I speak, smiling at the mirror.

 

"Good morning!" she replies cheerfully, making me take a softer expression. "Did you sleep well?"

 

"I did, thank you." I get dressed and hear my stomach rumbling. "Let's go eat something, I'm famished." I giggle.

 

I put my armor on and grab my mace before going downstairs to the tavern part of the inn. Like with the room and the reception, it is very well decorated, making me feel almost at home.

 

The last time I've been to a place that luxurious was when I was in Absalom, invited by the duke to a banquet after having helped save the island from the wrath of Gozreh, the deity of nature. The duke neglected to uphold his part of a deal made with the druidic population living in the forests of the island, and it led to Gozreh cursing him and his family, as well as creating a few natural disasters. The duke lost his legs because of the curse and his son died.  With a group of adventurers, we escorted the duke as he climbed the volcano of the island to meet with the deity and ask for forgiveness. We were only allowed to help him fight, and weren't allowed to assist him otherwise in his journey.

 

I sit at a table and wait for my breakfast to be served. However, someone else arrives and sit in front of me.

"Good morning, my lady." It is a tall woman, human as far as I can tell, with a pale skin, sky-blue eyes and black hair. She is wearing a fairly fancy-looking leather armor with a crest I am unfamiliar with embroidered on her chest, and a rapier whose guard is encrusted with gems strapped to her waist. She seems to be in her mid-thirties; it is hard to accurately guess, as her face is covered with a thick and dark makeup. Her lips are colored black, like her eyeshadow.

 

I observe her with caution. "Good morning? I'm sorry but may I know you?"

 

The woman chuckles. "Oh, where are my manners? My name is Eliska Lodovka, from the House Lodovka of Brevoy. Please forgive me for my rudeness… lady Camelia Ornelos." I narrow my eyes as she glances at me with a smirk on her face.

 

"How do you know? And what do you want?" I ask, discretely grabbing a bolt from my pouch just in case.

 

A waiter arrives with our breakfasts. Mine is fairly standard, but Eliska's breakfast is mainly composed of meat cooked rare, alongside a glass of red wine.

 

"How do I know? Because I was in Absalom when you were there. Everyone in Absalom heard about your exploits. A mortal who faced a deity and survived their wrath. Even if all you did was block at attack and got injured, only a handful of mortals can brag about this feat. I saw you a few times as a teenager, lady Camelia, and immediately recognised you." She raises her glass in the air. "The missing Ornelos girl became a proud Cavalier who stood up against a god, what a twist." She laughs as she take a sip of her wine.

 

"Have you… been following me ever since I left the island?" I question in a dry tone.

 

"Indeed. I assumed that you wanted to return to Varisia at some point, for your newest companion residing inside you. And I have an offer for you. But before that, take this."

 

She slips an envelope towards me. I open it and find a document allowing me to travel through Druma.

"How did you get that?" I ask.

 

She chuckles. "Easy. I used my noble title and said that I was hiring you as my bodyguard. I know that you don't like using your name, but it makes things infinitely easier."

 

"She's suspicious. Be careful with her." Ami says in my head, and I agree with her. This woman is hiding something, she is way too coy.

 

Seeing me hesitate, she continues.  "I give you my word that I won't do anything against you. Even if we haven't really spoken before, I took a liking to you and your chivalrous values. But I want you to help me find something that I believe your family is hiding."

 

"What would it be?"

 

"A vampire that I've been tracking down for a long time now." She says, grabbing the hilt of her rapier.

 

I didn't expect that, and am taken aback. "A vampire? Why would my family be hiding a vampire?"

 

"Because being on good terms with one could be beneficial for research in the Academae, I suppose. I mainly suspect the headmaster of the Academae to be the one behind this." she replies as she eat a portion of her meat. "Want a taste? This meat is delicious." she adds, handing the fork to me. She is smiling, her teeth a pure white. I notice that her canines seem sharper than most humans.

 

I politely decline. "No thanks, but how am I supposed to help you, though? You are aware that I fled. I have no ties with my family anymore."

 

She drops her cutlery and looks seriously at me. "Do you think your family isn't aware of your exploits? Most of the nobles of Avistan have heard about how a courageous redheaded Cavalier called Camelia helped save Absalom. As soon as you reach Cheliax or Varisia, you can bet someone will inform your family. No matter what, you will have to confront them, but I can help you with that. I will make sure that everything goes well, and allow you to escape should things turn sour. But I don't think it will happen."

 

"Why's that?" I ask, still cautious.

 

"Simply because your family misses you. Your mother especially. She even managed to convince your father to cancel the weddings should you ever return." She points her fork at me. "I know that your mother might have seemed cold, but she cared about you."

 

"You know an awful lot about my family. How come?"

 

She muses, wiping off her mouth with the napkin. "Hmm, maybe because I spied on your family for a while. I know a lot of things about pretty much every noble house in Avistan. It's always useful."

 

"How can I know you're trustworthy? I've been met with my fair share of betrayals throughout my life."

 

"If I said that it was because an old friend of mine cares about your well-being, would you believe me?"

 

I raise my eyebrow. "Who?"

 

She takes something from her pouch and put it on the table. It is the insignia of the Jeggare family. "Your almost-husband, Henry Jeggare."

3