23. Strength does not come for free
17 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"My name is Odebus, and I'm the guardian of the lower levels. It's been a few centuries since the last time I've woken up. Only when a suitable vessel appears in front of my place can I be awoken. My task is to intervene when the despair in the lower corridors rises to excessive levels. Before we take care of the problem, I will reward you for awakening me," Odebus announced while scratching his head with his scepter.

Evie whispered to Gab, "Well, I've imagined our new lord to be a lot more refined and elegant." " As long as he helps us fight the plague, I'm fine with him," Gab replied with a smile.

"After his help with cleaning the lower levels, we will worry about how to get Alex back," Evie whispered. "I can hear all of you," the cold voice on the throne replied. "So each of you has a wish I'm going to grant. The only wish I'm unable to grant you is the wish for freedom. For that, you must come to the tenth level," Odebus announced.

Luke was the first to answer, "I want Alex back." "That's a wish I can't grant you, unfortunately. He will, of course, get more control over his body after we fix the problem. What's your next wish," Odebus sighed.

"Well, tell me if my siblings are still alive," Luke asked. "A few of them are alive. Take this. You should be able to find them with it," Odebus replied as he threw a bone compass at him. "Thank you," Luke replied excitedly.

"What is your wish," asked the protector while turning to Evie. "Give us the power that is equal to mages," Evie replied with a smile.  "You are also a smart one. I will grant you the wish only under one condition. As long as Gab renounces his wish, I will fulfill yours," Odebus answered with a grin as he pointed his staff at Gab.

"Gab, this wish should help us the most in surviving. I hope you agree with it," Evie asked him with a smile. "I accept your condition," Gab answered back.

"Great. I hope this is satisfying enough," Odebus remarked, and his staff began to glow.

Suddenly the ground began to shake. Furthermore, all the skeletons rose to their feet and started walking towards the group. "Odebus, this was not part of our wish," Luke yelled in distress. "Are you sure? You wanted strength, and you are getting it," Odebus stated with a smile.

"I've always wondered which road is the stronger one. Luke, I'm giving you the power of the bones. May you absorb them and obtain the most sturdy skeleton. Evie, I shall give you the power of the flesh. Consume meat to receive the strength of it. And you Gab will receive two ways since you have renounced your desire. Consume blood to become stronger and consume the despair in the air to withstand it," Odebus announced.

The skeletons reached for Luke, who was still struggling. In the end, Luke lost, and the skeletons forced their bones down his throat and forced them to break.

Luke's eyes were full of tears as his jaws were opened and closed against his will. It didn't take long for him to lose some of his teeth. "Help, it hurts so much," Luke whispered seconds before the next bone was shoved down his throat.

"A painful view but only through suffering will you become stronger," Odebus stated with a smile as he stabbed his scepter into Luke's right rib cage. Instead of blood coming out, the skulls of skeletons were sucked in there, and bone splinters stuck out of Luke's chest. After a short time, these were slowly smoothed out and formed a seal.

"Now to you," Odebus turned and pointed his staff at Gab. "No, please don't," Gab whispered back, and all the despair from the air flew in his direction. It started to bore into his body. "Only by fighting it will you become stronger," Odebus whispered to him. Gab, meanwhile, was lying on the ground with his eyes and mouth wide open as if he were still silently screaming.

"What did you do to him," Evie screeched, aiming his crossbow at Odebius. "I just wanted us to become stronger. I never wanted them to suffer so much because of me," she tearfully uttered as she pulled the trigger.

Odebus ignored Evie and stabbed Gab's chest with his staff, and despair began to settle in Gab's heart. After a few seconds, the wound closed there as well. On Gab's chest, a black seal formed.

Evie's arrow stopped a few inches from Odebus. "Now for you," he replied, and her arrow fired back at Evie, piercing her chest."

"Oh, those kids had it coming to them. They wished for strength but weren't willing to pay for it," muttered Odebus and also poked in her chest his staff. "Skeletons. carries my subjects," he shouted, and skeletons climbed out of the ground. "It's time we started taking care of the problem. Which of the monsters is building trouble this time," he muttered to himself, taking all the kittens from the party members. The kittens were not too pleased to be touched by a stranger and hissed. "Who's my sweet little kitten? It's you," could be heard echoing through the corridors as a group of skeletons made their way up.

***********************************************************************************************

On Az's body, on the other hand, blood was everywhere. Meanwhile, he could fight well with a spear and used it against several smaller monster species such as wild cats and wild boars. In front of Az laid a pile of bones from different animals he hunted earlier the past days. After muttering the spell [Bone Armor], it took a few moments for Az to be completely encased in bones. Sure, fighting with armor is awkward and hinders your mobility, but in the end, if you're planning to fight something outside of your weight class, it's probably a wiser choice to wear one.

1