61. Your Location and How to Change It
22 3 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"While I'm here, I might as well visit the boys. My books are still there," Luz muttered to himself as he walked through the corridors.

The corridors were three times as high as Luz and had a dome, while the ceilings had beautiful frescoes.

"I wonder how much this building cost?" Luz wondered while gazing at the frescos on the ceiling as he walked.

Angels, demons, monsters, and humans were fighting each other there. The world seemed to be ablaze, and over the horizons, one could see gigantic monsters fighting each other.

"Whoever painted this must have seen a lot. Why not just draw something beautiful on the ceiling instead of such horror scenes?" Luz wondered.

The walls and floor, on the other hand, were both made of a combination of black and white marble.

At the same time, the walls were decorated with portraits and works of art. The windows, on the other hand, were huge and had golden frames.

When Luz arrived at the stairs, he was greeted by a marble statue. Slowly Luz stroked the statue as he walked past it.

There was one main thought going through his mind. ' Who is Master Brian that he can afford such a mansion?'

While he was lost in thought, he bumped into a maid.

"Sorry," Luz replied hastily, the lady cursing under her breath before turning to him and saying, "Please be careful next time. Those things cost more than 100 years of our monthly wages."

Luz just gulped before replying, "I'll pay more attention from now on."

With a nod, the maid walked on, and Luz just looked after her.

"One thing is certain. Master Brian has good taste in clothes," Luz muttered to himself before descending a white marble staircase. His footsteps echoed slightly, and it didn't take long for him to get lost.

To his rescue, Alfred found him and whispered to him, "You have no business being here, dear, especially when you're so unclean."

"I'm sorry, but I got lost, Alfred," Luz admitted with a sideways glance.

"I already thought of that. Well, follow me. You probably want to go to your room before taking a shower, right?" asked Alfred walking ahead.

Luz answered with just a, "Yes."

With Alfred's help, it took Luz less than 5 minutes to reach the door of his room.

"Thanks, Alfred, and sorry again for depending on your help," Luz said while slowly putting his hand on the door handle.

"Oh, don't mention it. It's quite normal that it will take time before you develop a sense of direction around here." Alfred replied with a laugh before adding, "The kids have been busy reading ever since you left the books in your room."

To such a comment Luz could only smile as he opened the door. 'Alfred seems to be right, hmm.'

On each bed, a boy was holding one of Luz's books occupied with reading.

"Oh, there's our boy again," one commented at the sight of Luz.

To his answer, Luz had to scratch his head before he said: "Sorry, I've been living with Master Simon lately. "

"That's ok. We've just been wondering. But you'd better take a bath. You stink," he replied back while waving his hand in front of his nose.

Luz just nodded and went to the shower. It was a simple shower stall with two wheels to turn. One wheel was used to control the heat level of the water, while the other one controlled the flow rate. The floor and the wall were made of stone.

For Luz, it was the first time using such a shower, and it didn't take long before Luz's loud yelps were heard.

Luz turned both wheels to the maximum, thinking that only then the water would come out. After about 5 minutes in the shower, it became clear that one of the wheels was intended to control the heat of the running water.

After showering, he approached the children asking about their progress.

"And are you making any progress with the books? Hopefully, you haven't burned anything yet," Luz inquired with a laugh.

"Ehm, I'm making progress," a boy about Az's age answered in a stutter while covering a spot on the bed.

The spot was pitch black. Luz just sighed, and a shiver went down his back.

'I hope I'm not blamed for this.'

" Anyway. You can keep using the books. I don't need them at the moment," Luz assured the children before leaving to head to his guest room.

'Even though I would love to spend time with them, I enjoy my quiet time alone, and I left my books there.'

Once in his room, Luz flopped down on his bed and reached for his book called: "Space Magic for Beginners."

The chapters Luz read were about the concept of short-range teleportation in a close circle. This is supposed to be much easier for beginning mages compared to long-distance teleportation.

The book also mentioned that different mage ranks understand different things by short and long-range teleportation. While a beginner mage might consider any distance longer than 25 meters to be long-distance teleportation. A master mage might consider anything within a kilometer as short-range teleportation.

The reason short-range teleportation is supposed to be easier is:

The closer you are to the two Voluminas you want to destabilize and connect, the easier and less mana you need.

Another reason is:

In a small area, you are more likely to get away with the assumption of teleporting on a 2d plane instead of a 3d curved plane.

We'll assume that beginner magician only need to worry about teleporting on a sphere. We will ignore the Earth's rotation and orbit + movement in the universe for beginner mages. Otherwise, master mages could not even teleport. Instead, we will assume that it gets more complicated with each ascending mage rank.

An intermediate mage has to factor in the Earth's rotation, while a master mage also has to factor in orbital trajectory, as well.

The idea: teleport me to the point (3/5) (3 meters to the right and 5 meters up) can be accepted because of the low angle of curvature. 

"The book recommended that I begin experimenting on short-range teleportation with objects before moving on to living animals, and in the end try it out on myself." Luz rambled to himself as he put his book aside.

'Interesting. Now I understand why my siblings and I were randomly teleported everywhere.'

'Instead of me deciding which spaces to link together, it happened randomly. The distorted places were chosen where the linking and stabilization could be completed with the least amount of energy. '

'Interesting.'

1