1.12 – The Treasure and Information Exchange (1)
5 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Looking curiously at the excited face of the other seniors, Calum turned toward Yan King and asked:

"Senior Yan, what exactly is the Treasure and Information Exchange?"

"Ah? About that, it's as the title of the event implies, an event that allows the participants to exchange pieces of information, rumor, and gossip about the cultivation world of the Luo Empire. Additionally, rare medicinal plants and treasures can be exchanged. As such, the grand finale of the Banquet is the Treasure and Information Exchange event." Yan King answered casually.

Calum nodded in comprehension before smiling wryly. Although this event seemed particularly interesting, he could only be a mere spectator. The reason for that was simple, for one, he didn't join the world of cultivators long enough to be aware of secrets, rumors, and information about cultivation in the Luo Empire. Also, he didn't have any treasures or rare herbs to exchange.

Noticing Calum's thoughts, Yan King laughed in amusement.

"Junior Calum, as you just joined the sect, nobody expects you to contribute. For now, just assisting at the event will be a positive experience for you." He stated, a smile remaining on his face.

Calum agreed inwardly, it would be absurd if he could contribute to the event having just joined the sect. Still, for him who's cultivation depended on treasures, it was a shame to miss this opportunity.

Calum sighed and put it out of his mind. He wasn't the type to lament on the 'ifs', instead, he focused on Senior Lina Yu. She was presently stating the rules of the exchanges. It was a routine explanation, her words were brief and to the point.

"As many people here already know, the rules of the exchanges are quite simple. First, both parties must be interested. Second, whether it be treasures, medicinal herbs, or information, the quality or veracity must be proven. Third, no coercion is allowed. If someone infringe upon these rules…" senior Lina didn't continue but almost everyone felt a chill in their back.

Nobody in attendance dared to underestimate this angelic-looking woman, which was in part due to her slightly bipolar personality. She could be the most benevolent fairy in an instant and change to the most demonic entity the next. The second reason was more straightforward: power.

She was one of the seven supreme of the Core, thus not someone to mess with. Additionally, she was the favorite pupil of the Saint. Any one of these reasons was sufficient motives for a respectful attitude and gaze, at least for those who liked living very much.

Noticing the audience got her message, her brows straightened, and the atmosphere lightened. "Now, may the Exchange Begin." She finally said regaining her seat.

A moment later one of the disciples came upon the stage.

"Dear seniors and juniors, this humble Yül has a treasure. I would be amenable to an exchange with a medicine helpful for breakthroughs in the 5th state." He was a man with Sunkissed skin and hair styled in tresses. He had a sharp demeanor and amber eyes as piercing as those of an eagle.

"Junior, don't make us wait, if the treasure is interesting enough, I am sure one of us will agree to an exchange." One of the seniors said good-naturedly.

Yül nodded to him and said, "This treasure was found in the Death Gorge located south of the empire." With a flourish, a black eerie flute appeared in his hand attracting the attention of the other disciples.

One of the disciples asked in shock, "You went there senior!? It's rumored to be one of the top ten danger zones of the entire Luo region"

"I indeed went there, but not in the deeper zones. Just the periphery." He answered simply.

The crowd regained their calm, after all, the place was deadly, but its outer zone was marginally better. Still, having the means to walk in there and come back, was tantamount to disciple Yül's ability.

"I am not a specialist in treasure appraisal but from the power, I could sense in this flute and the practice tests I realized. This should at least be a mid-grade treasure."

Interest lit up in a few seniors' eyes.

"What ability does it have?" Someone asked.

"More than explaining, showcasing it will be better." Disciple Yül said with a smile on his face. He was confident in the power of the treasure.

Slowly, he brought the flute to his lips. A macabre song spread in the entire hall. A few startled voices could be heard as almost everyone felt their body be drained of Qi at expeditious speed.

With a cry of alarm, one senior tried to raise a qi barrier. Alas before it could form completely it was reduced to nothing. Only a couple of seniors present as well as the seven powerhouses were completely free of the effect. The difference was that contrary to those seven monsters, the others could only resist thanks to the protection of some special treasures.

Of course, amidst the crowd, Calum was an exception. He wasn't affected at all by the sound of the flute. He didn't have any Qi to be drained. The others looked at him puzzled. Normally, the one who should feel the effects of the flute to the full extent should be Calum whose cultivation was vastly inferior to them. Seeing him seated casually without so much as a frown on his face was upsetting.

Calum noticed their ugly expressions and scratched his head embarrassed. He looked at Yan King who wore an expression of schadenfreude. Calum sighed and smiled wryly.

Yül finally finished his dreadful performance. The others breathed a sigh of relief before hurriedly refining qi to replenish their reserves.

Calum noticed that senior Yül was pale and seemed exhausted.

"The reason I am ready to part with this treasure is that it doesn't discriminate between its wielder and enemies. Without having a way to preserve yourself from the effects of its tune, this treasure can be quite detrimental despite its useful ability" Yül explained after regaining his breath.

Calum understood now, why he looked like that after using the flute, nevertheless, he felt a growing interest in the treasure. It could become a pretty handy ability to possess. A predatory smile appeared on his face at the thought of seeing his enemies drop in combat prowess before him.

Looking at his smile, Yan King asked, "Do you want it?"

Calum turned toward him uncomprehending, "What do you mean senior?"

"I am asking if you want it. I can exchange it on your behalf. You can pay me back in the future." Yan King spoke candidly.

"Seriously?" Calum asked slightly excited, he could obtain this treasure with senior Yan King's help. Naturally, it wasn't lost on him about the unusualness senior Yan King was exhibiting by being so genial with him. After all, helping someone you just met so much, was slightly bizarre. Especially in the cultivation world.

Still, Calum wasn't worried. Besides the fact that he couldn't fall into this negative mental state, he didn't feel any deception or duplicity in this senior brother of his. As such he didn't hesitate.

"Yes, please do senior."

"You? I wonder if you are naïve or just too gullible?" Yan King said wryly seeing his lack of hesitation, before raising his palm.

"Senior Yan?" Yül stood straighter.

"This is a Myriad Refinement Pill of high level. It should allow you to break past all obstacles in the fifth state. Well, until the 5th tribulation at least." Yan King threw him a bottle covered with cloud patterns. Yül eyes lit up and he sent the flute toward senior Yan King.

"Take it." Yan King caught it and threw it at Calum. A smile was now gracing Calum's face. He was truly happy because obtaining this treasure meant more than rising in combat prowess, for him it meant cultivation advancement.

"Gratitude, Senior Yan." He thanked full-heartedly.

"Think nothing of it, I may need your help in the future. Just see it as an exchange of favors."

"Understood, senior," Calum answered before focusing on the flute. He couldn't wait to assimilate it but sadly it would have to wait. He wasn't keen on showing his peculiarities in public.

The body of the flute carried numerous incomprehensible inscriptions. Speaking of inscriptions, it was a particularly vast field that extended its influence in all cultivation professions. Medicine Practitioners needed inscriptions to regulate and control their fire, Treasure Refiners needed them for regulation and control as well, and also to add attributes or abilities to a treasure. Even Array Masters needed them when laying down arrays.

All in all, inscriptions were a transversal piece of knowledge that every cultivator would benefit from learning.

After examining the flute with his consciousness, he realized that there were inscriptions even inside the flute. Also, the material, it was made with, seemed to be unreasonably sturdy.

"Good stuff," Calum muttered satisfied with his treasure.

"You should pay attention. It's just the beginning of the treasure Exchange." Yan King reminded.

Calum nodded and returned his focus to the Exchange.

Just the first item exchanged was already so mysterious and interesting, he couldn't wait to see what other wonders the other seniors will bring to the stage.

1