The beginning of the end
1.9k 10 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a gasp, my eyes fluttered open, the kookaburra hidden in the tree just beyond my window laughing at me like a maniacal villain with a screw lose. Glancing around I let out a groan, it was almost pitch black with the tiny glimmer of light just starting to illuminate the room as the only indication that it was even close to half past five. I swear to God, I’m going to get that cocky excuse for a pigeon one day.

Letting out another Groan I buried my face into my pillow, desperate for another couple of minutes of blissful sleep where my problems became solvable.

Just as I was on the cusp of sleep, I felt the light pressure of something lightly pawing at my leg before an almost inaudible thump emanated from carpeted floor of my bedroom. Sighing I slowly lifted my head giving up any hope another minute of sleep. The lukewarm glow of the rising sun trickled through my open window.

Forgetting it was still dark, I shoved the covers off and was immediately regretful as I felt gooses bumps begin to pop up over my legs and arms. Sighing, I walked up to the open window and silently slid it shut. If mum had of seen it open there would have been hell to pay.

Glancing at the illuminated screen of my phone, the bold 5:40 subtly illuminated whatever shadows the morning sunlight had left. My alarm still had 1 hour before it went off, yet I was fully awake. Sliding out of bed I slowly stumbled towards the bathroom clad in only boxers and a light shirt, only stopping to open the door so the cat could slink her way out of my bedroom. I didn’t even need to go, I just stood infront of the mirror splashing water into my face as a pitiful attempt to fully awaken myself.

My body was not what one would consider scrawny. Hell, the coach had told me that I was the perfect build to be a second row. The only problem with that was that I was not what one would consider fit. I was not beefy, nor did I have any noticeable muscles. I figured that I probably would have been able to pack on some serious muscle, but I didn’t have the commitment or drive to do so. Instead, I rode the awkward line between fat and fit.

The gushing sound of water running through pipes was the only indication that anyone else was awake. Groaning for what felt like the seventh time that morning I started to fill the sink with the remnants of whatever hot water had not already made it to the shower. Glancing at the mirror, I quickly looked at my semi-greasy and wild hair. I took a breath and dunked my head into the water narrowly adverting the possibility of turning up to school with hair sticking out everywhere. As I considered shaving , the hot water disappeared leaving only cold water coming out of the tap. My guess was whoever was in the shower downstairs had used all the warm water.

Walking back to my room I briefly considering arguing with whoever used all the hot water but considering the fact that it was most likely mum I decided otherwise. And speaking of the devil, a loud call come out from downstairs. “Hurry up and get ready Jon” his mother practically yelled, “you’ve got half an hour before we have to leave”.

Opening my wardrobe, I quickly dug through my clothesbasket attempting to find my one set of pants with my belt that I had worn the previous day. In the process of searching for it I littered the grey carpet with an assortment of clothing from dirty underwear to clean but mismatched grey socks that didn’t fit anymore. Just before I had given up hope, I saw a black article of clothing but i accidentally pulled out a tan sports bra instead. I stared at it for a second as a pang went through my heart. “Mum needs to stop mixing our clothes” I mumbled to myself before I chucked it back into the basket. In the process of doing that I saw what had caught my attention, a pair of long black pants with a belt already looped through it. Quickly chucking the pants and a clean red school shirt on, I dashed downstairs and into the hell that awaited.

“Hurry up Jon, I’m leaving in 5 minutes” Mum’s voice rung out from the kitchen, “your breaky is on the table”. Hearing that I practically jumped down the last flight of stairs to the kitchen where a plate with buttered English muffin sat with a pre-pealed banana. Ignoring the banana, I practically shoved the muffin down my throat before once again heading to the bathroom.

As usual, I ignored the face lotion and cream for my pimples and grabbed a toothbrush and squeezing out what seemed like barely enough toothpaste and shoved the toothbrush into my mouth. Spitting out the foam from my mouth, I cursed at the sight of some pale white stain which I hoped was yogurt on my pant leg. Quickly spitting on my hand, I furiously rubbed on it till it had practically vanished. ‘Good enough’ I thought to myself before grabbing my bag and running to the garage. Mum sat in the driver’s seat glaring at me. “What are you waiting for Jon, get in” she shouted over the engine of the car.

After 45 minutes of driving in silence, Mum pulled up to the curb of school and practically shoved me out of the car. Before I even had a chance to say goodbye, she revved the car and roared off back towards the city. So much for a warm goodbye, but she had places to be and not nearly enough time for pleasantries. Turning to head towards the band room I felt his chest lurch as I tripped over the curb. Luckly my fall was cushioned by something. But before I had even looked at what broke my fall my heart started fall into the growing pit in my stomach. I only had two things that could break my fall, and I didn’t fall on my back so that ruled out the backpack. That left one thing that I could have fallen on, the one thing I definitely couldn’t afford to break. My heart froze in my chest as I slowly looked down at my trombone case.

Running into the rehearsal room I glanced at the clock, I had just made it with seconds to spare. Glancing at the back row I went and joined the other trombones. A cartoonish image of my slide bent at a 90-degree angle kept replaying in my head long after I saw that there was no damage.

I might have been late but that wouldn’t have changed how much I played, we still would’ve sat there for 80% of the time waiting for the chance to play, just to play for 5 minutes and get a pat on the back. And of course, the bell didn’t dismiss us, we would keep playing until the conductor decide that we were done. But today he seemed to be in a good mood and decided to end it early. Which was still late enough that it sent me sprinting across the school to make it to class.

“The other main type of reproduction is sexual reproduction. This process requires a female and male parent. The main process of sexual reproduction is done by the female long after contraception. And the outcome of this process is an offspring that is a mix of the two parents’ genetic code.” The biology teacher explained to her class.

“And armed with that information we can begin to investigate sexual reproduction. To understand this type of reproduction you first need to understand the organs that are used. To start we will look at the female reproductive system” The teacher said as he glanced around the class.

“I understand that most of you boys will get uncomfortable, but this is natural. But you will need to fully understand this system to pass, even if you would rather not” she said as she glared at the back of the glass.

Ignoring this statement, I started to drift off while only vaguely listening to the teacher. “So please concentrate on the task at hand, if we are lucky, we will start on more… familiar systems by the end of the lesion”.

I would’ve stayed in that catatonic state for the rest of the period but a ruler smacking the table infront of me broke me out of my trance. “Jonathan, I hope your listening because we are about to start with the male reproductive system. You would think that” she started as the bell went signaling the end of the lesson, “sorry everyone, I lost track of time. Please go over your notes and we will continue this in the next lesson.”

 

My next lesson was Workshop. It was a period that was, in essence, a period for me to cool off. Many of the boys in the class would sit on their phones and the teachers wouldn't bat an eye. I was, for better or worse not an exception to the generalization.

In class we would do a project which should take a day, but we would stretch it out to take weeks. And even then, some of the boys wouldn't finish it. As I expected, the period flew past, leaving their lunch hour.

 

And as always, the lunch hour would breeze past in what would feel like minutes. At least, that was normally the case. But I was stuck inside of a meeting about something I could care less about. Something about a club for rotors or something. And then as expected the meeting went over the end of lunch and it left me running to my locker which was unfortunately placed on the other side of the school.

Chucking my mostly untouched lunchbox on top of the black locker, I crouched down to see my padlock sitting on 000. With ease I quickly turned the numbers to 117.

Chucking my lunchbox onto the top shelf, I quickly pulled my sports bag out from the top shelf before locking the locker again. Taking a deep breath, I turned back to where I had just run from. Groaning, I began to jog back the way I had just come from towards my next class which was placed across the school.

 

As I quietly approached the changing room, I could hear the jeering of my class. Quietly slipping into the secluded corner, I started to undress while looking intently at that weird stain on the wall infront of me. And just as quickly as I had gotten changed, I was pushed out into the gymnasium and into the line of boys jogging around the carpet.

This soon changed into a sort of technical yoga with us spreading out along the mat and getting into multiple positions for the rest of the hour. “All right boys, we have 5 minutes left today, you can go jump in the foam pit or you can just leave early” the PE teacher called out, “And we are going into the pool next week so don’t forget your swimmers”.

Walking back to my bag I started to feel funny. It started off with a small, but constant unfamiliar pressure in my lower abdomen.

It was too low to be a stomach-ache but too high to be a cramp and my stomach felt weirdly full. But soon enough, the pressure increased and just as I reached my bag it got even stronger. It was then when I finally realized I had to go to the toilet.

“Can I hold it in” I thought to myself while looking at my watch. “no” I squeaked as I quickly walked into the toilet and locked a stall. Pulling my pants down, I quickly sat down and went to pull out my phone. As I reached to grab my phone out of my pocket, I could have sworn I saw something out of the corner of my eye. Dismissing it I grabbed my phone, but in doing so I looked down.

My mind when blank for a couple of seconds and my heart felt like it stopped. Where was it? Instead of my normal plumbing there was just a small triangular patch of coarse dark brown hair.

Where did it go? Quickly shaking my head, I peered forwards, maybe it was just tucked away or something. 'That’s right, it’ll be there' I thought as I looked in between my legs.

I sat straight up and clenched my legs together and immediately regretted it. Sure, what was there was familiar, but this was not from my years of maleness. Instead, my mind flashed to the image shown in one of my pervious classes. And image of the female reproductive system.

I felt a my heart stop and restart as my heart starting to beat faster. Ignoring the slight dampness and need to go, I quickly pulled up my pants. That could wait till later.

I stuck my head out of the gym and glanced around. Luckily there was no one in sight. Quickly, I clutched my bag in my shaking hand and began to walk to my locker. People don’t suddenly change genders… right. But yet here I was, a girl walking through an all-boys school.

A guy walking through an all-boys school. Someone must have put something in my food. “That’s it, a good sleep will fix everything” I muttered as I creeped around the school. What am I going to do about Mum I thought as a call broke the silence of the basically barren school. After peaking at the screen, I took the call. “Mum?” I stuttered

“Is that you Jonathan, you sound sick” his mum asked sternly, “Anyways I’m going to be gone for the long weekend”

“What about your school” I stuttered, “don’t you have something on this afternoon”. She noticed something was wrong, what was going on. She never cared if I was sick before, it was all you’re a man, tough up.

“Your dad wants to have me over for our 20th anniversary and school gave the all clear” she stated, “I just need you to ensure the house stays in order”

 “You’re really going to give him another chance” I asked, holding my breath. This was what, the 4th chance ?

“God tells us to give people second chances Jon, anyways I’ll be gone before you get home. Dinner is in the fridge and make sure the cat is fed” she told him. “Well, that settles it, il see you on Tuesday Jon” she said before hanging up.

It felt like the weight of the world was lifted off my shoulders. But as I made my way onto the bus, I could swear the world seemed to be crashing down around me.

 

Staring at my house i bound up the front stairs and dug through my bag for the front key.

Just as quickly as I opened the door, I slammed it shut. Chucking my bag on the floor I went straight into the bathroom. Glancing at the mirror I saw what I normally saw. Myself, looking apparently completely normal. But when I looked closer, you could see the small features that gave me away.

The way my cheekbones and hips where a bit more prominent than they should be. How my hair looked a bit longer and well groomed, how I had next to no pimples. The more I looked the more I found. In fact, if you looked you could see two lumps barely, but thankfully hidden under the pockets of my shirt, small but there, nonetheless. And finally, the area where my pants sat baggily against my crotch.

How on earth did nobody notice. Sighing I went and lay on my bed and I was quickly joined by my cat. Idlily patting her I thought about my day. I got changed in PE and no-one noticed. Not even a glance from anyone.

Groaning I sat up to pulled down my blinds which sadly caused my cat to dart out of the room. I could sort this little problem out tomorrow, or maybe it would be gone by then. That would be if I could fall asleep.

I had no intention of getting changed. And no position was comfortable, there was always something slightly wrong. The way my hair would itch if I had my head facing towards the wall. Or how it felt weird to sleep on my chest. Sighing, I just closed my eyes and hoped that I could fall asleep before midnight.


Thanks for reading the first chapter.

This was written partly because i wanted to improve my writing so if you see any grammar or spelling mistakes and or think something could be written better a comment would be great.
Thanks in advance

This was also already posted about a year ago on a different account somewhere in the depths of the internet.
I felt like it could have been written better so i decided to write do just that.
About 10 months after I made that decision I realized I hadn't touched it so here we are now over a year after I originally uploaded it.
I had to basically bully myself into releasing it as I probably would continue to avoid uploading it
But now i have given myself an upload schedule and a buffer of chapters so I think I can keep up with a chapter a week

Thanks for reading

38