revelations
387 4 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I exited the nurse’s office a sense of dread filled the air around me. Not only had I almost killed someone, but I had become a wanted fugitive in the process. Before it was questionable what they would do if they found me. Now I knew I was beyond screwed if the found me.

With the ringing of the bell, I slowly shuffled my way down the busy halls towards my next class. But before I could make it to my next class, I had to quickly deal with the now familiar heat which had once again started to build within me.

Quickly making my way towards the toilets, I managed to find an empty stall and waited for the room to become empty before quickly dealing with the heat. With a quick glance at my watch, I felt a small smile appear faintly on my face.

The heat was taking longer to build up and dealing with it was becoming easier. Maybe an ordinary life wasn’t out of the question. Hell, if it kept going the way it was I wouldn’t even have to worry about the police.

Making sure the coast was clear I slowly peaked my head out of the bathroom stall. Seeing no one I quickly exited it but I froze as the blond haired kid from earlier entered the room. Seeing me frozen there he gave me a puzzled once over before smirking.

“Its Jonathan right” he asked as he turned back towards me, “Why aren’t you in class”

“I could say the same for you” I mumbled defensively as I saw him patting his pockets looking for something.

He gave me a puzzled look as he gestured towards the cigarette in his hand. “What does it look like” he said in a joking tone as he gave up looking for whatever he was looking for, “You wouldn’t happen to have a lighter on you by any chance”

“Do I look like an idiot” I retorted, “Do you wana get suspended?”

He laughed a little at that, a little a fire popping into existence above his finger. “I doubt I’m going to get into much trouble” he said as he lit his cigarette.

I stumbled back at that as my eyes locked onto his finger and my hands raised in front of me, “Are you threatening me?”.

“Do I look like that kinda guy” he said as a joke before holding out the pack of cigarettes in his opposite hand. “Do you want one” he asked as he looked for my reaction. Judging by the lack of an answer he took a puff before extinguishing the flame and pocket the packet. “So, what are you here for then” he asked as he exhaled smoke.

Ignoring the question I pointed towards his hand, “what on earth was that” I stuttered as I started to slowly back up.

“What was what?” he said as he looked back towards his hand. Suddenly it burst into flames and his face became panicked as he started to shake his hand.

Quickly looking for a fire extinguisher I stopped at the sound of laughter. “You should have seen the look on your face” he said trying to hold in the laughs. He quickly stopped when he saw I was clearly panicking. “You don’t know who I am, do you” he slowly asked.

“Why would I know you” I yelled at him as I tried to get control of my breathing.

He let out a frustrated sigh as rubbed his hand awkwardly, “I thought everyone knew. I’m Mark from miss A’s mentor group” A look of confusion must have crossed my face at that explanation, Mark was covered with skin grafts and burn scars from when he was stuck in a house fire. “I don’t know man” he said as he finished off the cigarette and threw the butt towards the toilet “I just woke up like this.”

“I take it your happy like this” I said as I thought about my own situation hoping I wasn’t the only one unhappy with my change.

“Why would I be unhappy” he said as he looked towards the faint wisps of smoke from the cigarette butt raising towards the roof, “This is the best thing that’s happened to me in a while. It’s like the change knew what was wrong with me and fixed it.”

Before I could reply a loud blaring came from the smoke alarm above him and soon every other alarm in the school followed suit.  

“Opps” he stuttered as he glanced towards where the smoke had triggered the fire alarm. He quickly grabbed his bag as he ran towards the door, “you probably should get out of here Jon.” With that he dashed out of the toilet door into the crowd of people walking towards the fire escape door complaining about this being the 3rd fire drill this month.

Following his advice, I quickly followed him into the crowds of complaining teens. As we exited through the fire escape doors, I could see a couple of fire engines along with a police car park pull up outside the school.

After determining it was a false alarm the fire engine pulled away leaving the lone police car. The officers quickly got out and started to walk towards the gathering classes before stopping to talk to the teachers.

Within 30 seconds of this a teacher pointed towards Mark who was attempting to hide behind a group of boys. The police gave Mark a glance before shaking the teachers hand and saying something.

The police then quickly started to make their way towards him while trying to make their way through the crowds of students. But upon seeing the guards the students between Mark and the police quickly parted like the red sea clearly not wanting to get the attention of the annoyed officers.

 Mark seemed to quickly accept his fate as he walked towards the officers before stopping a couple of meters away from them. Keeping their distances, they gave him an order before leaving with Mark in tow.

As Mark exited the oval a silence fell over the student body as the teachers quickly ushered us back into our classes.

As I entered my Workshop class everyone started to whisper as people started to digest what had happened. Luckily at that moment the teacher decided to start the class.

“Guys, you should know where your up to so far” he announced as the got the classes attention, “don’t get caught on your phones and at least pretend you’re doing the work, I’ll be walking around to help whoever actually wants my help”.

With that he walked towards the woodworking area as he started to turn the machines back on. As if on que half the class pulled out their phones while the others joined me in retrieving their projects.

After grabbing my poorly welded project I made my way into the working area and picked up a handheld grinder. Luckily I was the only one working with metal so the room was empty and I would have peace and quiet. Quickly I shoved the oversized gloves onto my hands and I began to grind away at my messy welding.

As the grinder began to revel the holes in my welds I let my mind start to wander. This was quickly revealed to be a mistake as I felt the grinder take an unexpected tug as it shot towards my hand. Unable to move it quickly tore through the glove and I felt it begin to shred my skin. After a second of shock, I quickly managed to hit the stop button and threw the grinder onto the table.

I braced myself against the table expecting to be overcome with pain but to my surprise it never came. Expecting it was due to shock I glanced towards the hole in the glove only to see the glove covered with the liquid metal which the grinder had torn away from my body.

After a quick glance around the room, I saw faint specks of the metal on the floor along with a large blob that was clearly missing from my hand. But much to my surprise apart from the affected area my body was still covered with my regular skin.

But the thought of someone entering the room quickly dragged my attention away from this new discovery to the chunks of my liquid metal.

Panicking I quickly reached towards the biggest blob of metal to hide it but before I could reach it the metal from across the room flew towards my hand knocking me back a few steps. All the blobs quickly remerged with my skin making it appear as if nothing had ever happened. Or at least it would have if there wasn’t a giant hole in the glove I was wearing.

That was the least of my concerns though, my mind was already racing trying to understand what had just happened.

I had caused my ability to do more than just take on different shapes or activate all at once.

Maybe it would be possible to actually control it.

I glanced down towards my hand and rubbed the spot where I should have been bleeding heavily from. The thought of me being able to control my power sent shivers down my spine.

Then I made the mistake of continuing down that thought.

Maybe I could control it already beyond just keeping myself looking normal. Maybe I could use it to make other changes to make myself better. But I would have to start small.

After quickly glancing around to make sure the room was empty I removed the glove from my right hand and stared at the unmarked skin.

At a thought I felt the tip of my pinkie become metallic. Letting out a small laugh I glanced at the oddly shimmering metal. My laugh ended as I saw the metal slowly begin to creep down my pinkie against my will, but I managed to slow it down at the joint between it and my hand.

My mouth slowly twisted to horror as it then began to slim down into a faintly feminine shape as the metal began to slowly spread to the rest of my fingers against my will. But before I could figure out this development I heard footsteps as my teacher entered the room behind me.

 

20