Chapter 2: [ACT I ] Where the Sun watches [2]
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CHAPTER 2

[ACT I] Where the Sun watches [2]

・• ● •・


“Big Brother! You’re back!” Shouted a woman with all the excitement of a Labrador greeting its owner after a long day’s work. Her golden eyes squeezing tight under her raised cheeks, she threw herself into the arms of the father and son, hitting them with such force that the trio nearly toppled over. And that was rather impressive as compared to the two men, the lady’s stature was frankly miniscule. It was clear that her slender body held more power than in let on. But that was a given, because this lady was someone not to be trifled with:

It was the crown princess of Sol, Jegudiel.

She was a woman who stood at 1.7 meters and had a body that was extremely slender. Her straight white hair fell down to her shoulders that had its ends painted in gold as if it was dipped in a pot of molten coins. Her golden eyes were large and cat-shaped, giving her a look of childish innocence despite being older than the average man’s great-great grandparent. The clothes she wore were the traditional royal garbs, purple robes that were almost priestly in nature, embroidered with golden thread and matched with brass medallions. And on her head, a crow off brass and purple crystals lay, being a perfect match with her natural beauty that was similar to a certain someone’s.

Looking down at the face that was nearly a copy of his own, Luciel chuckled as he returned the hug, “good to see you my lovely sunshine~~”

He patted her on the back, having a moment with her before a shadow was cast over the three of them. With the sun blocked out suddenly, they raised their heads in unison, forming a rather silly sight for the one above. It was Estell, looking over them with her arms crossed, expression stuck in her signature blasé.

Seeing as they just stared at her blankly, a rare helpless expression appeared on the tall woman’s face. Shaking her head Estell bent over, meeting the crown princess at eye level as she pointed at herself, “what about my hug?”

“Oop, sorry you are just so big, I did not know how to grab you.” While Luciel and his son were tall, they were nothing compared to Estell who stood at nearly 3 meters. Of course such a height would be a bit overwhelming for someone nearly half the size. Jegudiel did not let that affect her very much though, grabbing onto the woman as if she were a giant teddy bear. “Come in here!”

“My pleasure.” Murmured Estell, her turquoise lashes fluttering. Her words were dry as ever, but there was a fondness behind them that would be hard to hide.

And so another person was added to the family hug. Of course, Luciel was not very happy with this, giving Estell an eye roll from an angle his son and sister couldn’t see.

After about thirty more seconds, he slipped out of the body pile, taking his son out too. He sighed, straightening their clothes and hair that got caught in the crossfire. He looked at his watch, giving the women two more minutes of catching up before he plucked Jegudiel out from her arms before she was smothered with Estell’s affection and started walking to the castle, caring not for his wife's annoyance.

As they walked, Jegudiel looked them up and down, “You guys look super good together! I mean look at your little preppy outfits. Ohhh, how jealous I am right now!”

Today what the family was wearing was turquoise and silver clothing that perfectly matched with their god given colors.. They were made in a Victorian style, p done with large sleeves and in thin fabric due to the weather in Sol being a bit hot for the Moroii causing them to have a unique volume and airiness that was hard to put into words.

“Oh? I’m glad you noticed. These outfits are truly fine, are they not?” Huffed Luciel proudly, his face practically shining as his eyes curled as he posed himslef to better display what he was wearing like a peacock in full heat. He was brimming with pride, his lips twitching as he struggled to hold in a stupid, silly grin. 

“Did you make them yourself-- I hope not. Or are you still continuing with that useless hobby?” She’s said, eyes innocent and full of concern. What she said was obviously not out of ill intent, it was just a mixture of worry and echoing of others sentiments.

Whilst keeping up his smile, Luciel frowned internally, the brightness in his eyes dimming out. You see, in his excitement in seeing his sister, he forgot. People did not really look kindly upon his passions-- they apparently weren’t a fit for either a man or someone of his standing.

But those words hurt him.

‘she’s not saying it maliciously… she means the best… she is just worried I’ll get in trouble with mother,’ Luciel said to himself, patting her head whilst staring into her watery naive eyes. He swallowed the joyful ramblings that nearly flowed out from his lips, chewing and grinding them into a boring pulp of lies for the people present.“I got them from our palace tailor, he is absolutely stellar at his job, meeting even my high demands. I can recommend him if you wish?”

Jegudiel did a joyful Jump, “really! And you have to pick out something for me too then! What you pick always looks the best!”

Breaking into a skip, Jegudiel did a happy twirl as her focus settled on Stellatu who was gawking at the tall, immaculate buildings around him with that childlike wonder of his. The palace of Sol was certainly a wonder of the world, a complex made out of connected towers that seemed to reach god himself. Not to mention they were built out of a pristinely white material that did not seem able to collect dirt, making the whole place give off an uncanny holy feeling, as if stepping into the realm of the divine.

“Hi, you probably don’t remember me so I’ll introduce myself again. I’m Jegudiel! But you can just call me auntie Judy~~” laughed Jegudiel as she opened her arms for a hug.

Stellatu bowed politely, not accepting her embrace this time as he stayed a sizable distance away from her. His attitude was cold-- he had overheard the words she had said to his father and they irked him, “nice to meet you *miss* Jegudiel, I am Stellatu and you can refer to me as such.”

At that point he crossed his arms, staring the woman down.

“Letu….” seeing his son all puffed up like a porcupine, Luciel knew what was up right away. He appreciated his little action. However he couldn’t let his son be so rude to someone so dear to him, “what ‘miss’ Jegudiel? How are you treating your aunty? Don’t be like that, I want the two of you to get along.”

“…” lingering on Luciel’s pleading gaze for a moment, Stalletu gave him some face, “fine…. Sorry…. aunt Judy... nice to meet you.”

“Good good, Can I call you Letu?”

Stellatu nodded, not too happy inside.

Jegudiel, none the wiser, smiled, “thank you Letu~~ ah, it’s been such a long time since I last saw you, I think at that time you were no more than three? Oh, You guys should have come sooner… I can’t believe that rotten father of yours hid such a cutie for so long.”

Stellatu stayed silent as he fidgeted with his fingers.

“I saw you looking around. This place is big, isn’t it?”

“Mmm,” said in awe, looking at the structures that climbed up well above the clouds, his previous apprehension with Jegudiel replaced by pure awe, “the castle Lune is already huge… is this not double its size? And the architecture is so sublime, I mean look at it, isn’t it gorgeous? And the building techniques are so much different from the ones at Noc, I mean how do you even get buildings to be so tall…”

As if turning on a switch, Stellatu rambled on about architecture with blushing cheeks, not really caring if anyone was listening as he just wanted to vent his appreciation for this ‘magnum opus’ of a palace. His words eventually were so full of jargon and technical terms that Jegudiel and Estell couldn’t bear listing to them anymore, however any attempt of changing the topic was intercepted by Luciel who happily engaged with Stellatu and made sure no one ruined his fun.

Only after Luciel knew Stellatu’s initially excitement died down did he allow people to interrupt him.

“But seriously, why is it even so huge? Is it purely as a show of power? But how would you even use all these buildings… I mean at this point it looks like--“

“A city?” Cut in Jegudiel, finding something basic she could comment on, “well, that’s because it is! Think of this castle as the central business district of Caenuria, a lot of these towers are in fact filled with businesses and shops, some of them are even academies! And while it may seem odd to the people of Noc to build so high up, for the people of the empire it is a given considering most of our citizens are composed of flying races-- not to mention we are the leading nation in flight technology.”

“Ooo” Stalletu, listened with absolute focus, “really!”

“Mmm, that is true.” Chimed in Luciel, “even the airships in our fleet were brought from Sol, they are their latest civilian grade models.”

“I see!” nodded Stellatu as he pulled on Luciel’s sleeve, “ah, Dad, since we are here can we go sight seeing around the palace--“

“No can do, Letu,” Jegudiel looked awkward as she shut down his excitement, but her eyes were absolutely seriously, “although we are family, a lot of the palace is holy ground-- if you are not a Principality, a devout believer of the sun or a slave owned by one of the former it is forbidden to go on the grounds. Of course you’re explore the guest area as much as you like though… ”

“Oh...” Stellatu regretfully looked around, “that’s a shame then…”

Watching his son dive into discontent, Luciel did his best to steer the topic away.

“Well, but really it has been too long, hasn’t it Judy? We haven’t seen you in 15 years!” Said Luciel, squeezing her cheek, “but… is it just me or have you gotten uglier.”

“Eh?” Jegudiel, paled in shock, “no! I-I-I been making extra sure to take care of my skin! Please sweet matriarch of the sun and my people-- don’t say I have a wrinkle! I’m planning to find a man to get married to soon!!”

Luciel put on a serious look, before poking her forehead as if to highlight something, “I hate to tell you this but…”

Before Luciel finished his sentence, she nearly fainted. She snapped at the servants behind her, tears in her eyes, “quick quick! Bring me a mirror!”

Internally annoyed, the servants did not dare delay her order as they started rushing away. They made sure to glare at Luciel though, along with Masahiko and Estell who’s eyes were full of accusations: how dare he make the cute crown princess cry!

“Uhh,” under their oppressive atmospheres, Luciel had no choice but to call the servants back and cut his teasing short. He patted her head. “I was joking, my sunshine… no you look better than ever! We are blood related, how could you ever be anything but perfect?”

“That was a lie huh, tsk, I nearly forgot you were like this!” Jegudiel calmed down, smiling from ear to ear, “then… am I the pretties in the world?”

Luciel snorted, “I’m afraid not.”

“Ehh!” Jegudiel gasped, “Why!”

“Because uncle Gabi exists.” chimed in Stellatu, doing his best to walk on top of the gaps of the tiles, “right?”

“Mmm,” nodded Luciel. “Exactly so. Even I can’t beat him in looks, let alone you-- this is something you must accept, Judy.”

“…” Jegudiel pouted and crossed her arms. “You could at least lie to me.”

As her mood lowered, a small voice came from behind them. It was Masahiko, covering his face with his hands as he blushed heavily. “I… think your highness Neriah Zul is the most beautiful.”

“Seriously?”

“I am extremely serious.”

Jegudiel almost teared up again, hugging him, “… thank you so much Maki… it’s like you're the only one who truly cares for me!”

The father and son immediately raised an eyebrow at Masahiko who froze up and turned tomato red at her touch. They gave each other a meaningful look, the edges of their lips twitching as they managed to contain their amusement at someone’s not so subtle puppy love.

“I also think you are beautiful. Where is my hug?” Estell was slightly annoyed at Jegudiel showing such concern for a mere servant.

“Gosh! Thank You, Elle! Come here!” As she jumped onto Estell too.

And so, the rest of the day was filled with smiles and idle chatter.

 

・•・•・•・•・

#getting along#
Luci: I made tea.
Estell: I don’t want tea. Especially made by you.
Luci: I did not make tea for you. This is my tea dearie.
Estell: …Then why are you telling me?
Luci: It is a conversation starter.
Estell: That’s a lousy conversation starter.
Luci: Oh, is it? We are conversing. Checkmate bitch.
1