9 – The Gentle Mother
7.1k 17 229
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Zenith smiled and patted Rudy's back while walking back downstairs. "You must have been playing hard today, weren't you, Rudy?"

She didn't get a response. Instead, all she got from her son was a soft snore.

Cute. Well, Zenith thought that Rudy was always cute, but it was only when he was fast asleep like this that he really looked like a cute baby. Her baby.

Most of the time, her son was so bright and curious. Eager to learn, eager to try new things... that had a charm in itself. But it made her wonder at times whether she was even needed.

Zenith had been panicking after finding out she was pregnant and was unprepared to have a child... but she was starting to think that she wouldn't be prepared at all for the son she got.

He never cried. Even when he broke his arm and leg in that accident, the most that happened was his eyes watering. Not only that, but he learned to walk and talk on his own... and read too.

Sure, she and Lilia read stories to Rudy when he asked, but he picked up the letters on his own.

A genius. That was her cute little son.

...But a tiny little genius who still needed her mom, it seemed.

Zenith hugged Rudy a little tighter and walked into the living room. As she did, Lilia walked in.

Lilia took a look at Rudy and then smiled. "Did the young master tire himself out again?"

"Mmhm." Zenith sat down on a chair and held Rudy in her arms, brushing his hair. "Geez, Rudy. What do you even do all day when Mommy's gone?" She looked up at Lilia and said, "Do you know?"

Lilia wiped her hands down and pulled a chair to sit next to Zenith. "For the most part, young master follows me around. After that, he amuses himself by wandering around the house and reading."

"Hm?" Zenith looked at Lilia and said, "Just the house?"

Lilia nodded. "Yes." She looked at Rudy and said, "Young master has an innate sense for danger and doesn't seem to go outside very often. He is also very fond of reading."

"Oho~?" Zenith grinned and tousled Rudy's hair. "Looks like we might have a little magician on our hands soon then."

Lilia smiled and said, "The young master does seem quite suited for it. Though I would hope that Miss Zenith does not force him into anything."

"Please, Lily. Just call me Zenith. Or Zenny!" She smiled back at Lilia and said, "You're already part of the family you know? I bet little Rudy here even sees you as his aunt, you know? Or maybe even a second mommy!"

"M-Me?" Lilia blushed and shook her head. "I could never. And a mother..."

Zenith laughed. "I'm just kidding. But seriously, you've helped a lot you know?" Her smile faded and she looked down at Rudy. "I don't know what we would have done if you weren't here to help out. I mean, Paul's hopeless and me..."

Zenith was born as the second daughter of the earl family in the holy country of Milis. But although she might have been raised up to be a perfect lady and eventually having children, but none of that prepared her for actually being a mother.

...It probably also didn't help that she ran away from home when she turned 15 and reached majority because she was sick of that life and the path set out in front of her.

Lilia shook her head. "I am sure that you and Master Paul would have managed."

Zenith frowned. "Lily."

"Y-Yes?"

"When I'm complimenting you, just accept it, okay? You're a great help and basically my sister, so don't go putting yourself down like that."

Lilia's eyes widened and then she let out a faint smile. "Of course, Miss Zenith."

"Zenny!"

"Zenith."

"Zenny!"

"...Zenny."

Zenith grinned.

Lilia laughed.

Rudy shifted in Zenith's arms, moving around to rest his head against her chest.

Seeing that, Zenith let out a soft smile and patted Rudy's head. "Sorry, Rudy. Mommy will be a bit quieter."

"Mm... kay..." Rudy mumbled and then went back to sleep.

Zenith sighed and then shifted Rudy to be more comfortable. After that, she looked up at Lilia and said, "Really though. I'm grateful you're here to help us, Lily." She frowned and said, "There've been a lot more injuries recently at the village from monster attacks, so it helps a lot for someone to be home to watch Rudy."

Lilia shook her head and said, "It is my pleasure, Zen-"

Zenith narrowed her eyes.

"...Zenny. Besides, the young master isn't much trouble at all."

"That's true." Zenith let out a sigh and said, "I'm really grateful for that. I've been talking with some of the other women in the village and from what I hear we haven't even seen half of what parents are supposed to go through."

"I would weigh it closer to a hundredth, but yes. The young master is fortunately a very problem free child."

Zenith giggled. "Yes. I guess me and Paul were just lucky."

Yes. Lucky.

If she hadn't decided to run away from home when she turned fifteen.

If Paul hadn't taken her by the hand that day when she was about to accept entering an adventurer party as a healer without knowing anything about proper wages or expectations.

If she hadn't given into her heart and let Paul sleep with her after making him promise to not sleep with any other woman again, even while knowing he would probably break that promise.

And if she hadn't gotten pregnant after that one time, none of this would have happened.

She wouldn't have gotten a caring and loving husband who gave up his wild ways to be by her side. She wouldn't have a friend like Lily who helped support her. And she wouldn't have Rudy.

Her sweet, smart, and silly son who was childish and tried to be mature when he wasn't.

Her good luck charm- No, the source of all her happiness today.

It was a hectic and series of stressful events up to that point... but she wouldn't give it up for the world.

Zenith stared at Rudy's sleeping face and then planted a small kiss on his forehead. "Mommy is really lucky to have met you, Rudy."

229