57 – Child – Reflecting on Mistakes
4.6k 36 158
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Back in the groove and fully rested up. Let's goooooo!

Also, here's a song I found the other day that's been stuck on replay in my head and in my phone for the past few days. It randomly popped up in my recommended and scarily fits Rudy's situation.

Mili - In Hell We Live, Lament feat. KIHOW from MYTH & ROID / Limbus Company

While my dad was doing his best to explain away the mess he caused this time to Mom and Mama Lily, I headed back to the house with Sylphy and Master Roxy.

Holding Sylphy close to my side, I brushed her hair aside and carefully scanned her body.

Her clothes were a bit ruffled and she was a bit wet from being flung into the snow, but she didn't look injured.

Still, I looked back at her and said, "Are you *sure* you're fine, Sylphy?"

Sylphy sighed and said, "I'm *fine*, Rudy." She smiled and said, "That person knocked me away, but he didn't hurt me much."

I frowned and cast <Healing> on Sylphy. Seeing the healing mana run out to settle in her body to heal, my frown deepened and I said, "So he did hurt you after all."

Orsted was an ally since he was against Being W, but the fact that he hurt Sylphy...

Master Roxy tapped me on the head with her staff and said, "Worry more about yourself, Rudy."

I huffed and rubbed my head. "I do worry about myself."

Sylphy gave me a blank stare.

"What?"

I did worry about myself. Everything I did earlier was a calculated risk.

...I might have been a bit off on the answer, but it was definitely calculated to make sure that things ended up the best way possible.

Master Roxy sighed and said, "Running headfirst to fight off against an opponent like that... Tell me honestly. Did your brain get damaged after your father struck you in the head? That's the only explanation I have for doing something that stupid."

Sylphy nodded and said, "I've been wondering about that too." She looked at me and said, "Are you sure that you're okay, Rudy? If you're worried, you can always tell me."

I smiled and pulled Sylphy into a one-armed hug. "Thank you, Sylphy. I appreciate you. And I will."

And I would. Because I had a feeling that if I didn't, Sylphy would do something even more reckless than I would to try and keep me safe.

After all, she was already willing to fight against Orsted to try and protect me even though he was a terrifying opponent. And considering that she couldn't do anything against those knights and had been shaking in fear when she came to tell me before...

Yeah. Definitely needed to start opening up a bit more in terms of thoughts.

Didn't want to be like Dad who ran off to do stupid things without letting anyone know and piss everyone off.

Definitely didn't want to turn out like him. Well, not like that anyway.

But as to Master Roxy's question...

I looked over to Master Roxy and said, "And I'm not sure, Master Roxy." I frowned and said, "I've noticed that too. Maybe I actually did get hit hard enough to have lingering effects... Well, that or I inherited a lot more from Dad than I thought and those traits are showing up more since I'm getting older."

I was seven now, after all. Still a kid, but swiftly approaching the teenaged years. And not only that, but I was fairly sure my growth was being accelerated from my passive <Healing> spell that I constantly kept going.

Now, if only that included a growth spurt... Despite everything I was still pretty short. Muscular, but short.

Master Roxy frowned and then gave me a cautious look. "...You don't feel the urge to look through women's underwear or flip skirts, do you?"

"Why the heck would I do that?"

Even if I *was* interested in girls like that, I wasn't going to run around to harass them.

...Well, it might be different if it was someone who liked me back and was okay with it for some light teasing, but random women? No way. I wasn't some crass pervert.

"Ah. Right. Rudy's the type of person who wasn't even aware that I was-" Master Roxy cut herself off and then cleared her throat. "I-In any case..." She looked at me and said, "You seem to have an idea about what happened back there. Do you mind telling us, Rudy?"

Sylphy frowned and then looked over to me. "Right! You and that scary man talked about someone else. Being W, I think?"

"Yeah. It's a long story though. Still not entirely sure what that guy wants or even what he is..."

We arrived back at the house. In the distance, I could hear Mom and Mama Lily yelling.

Definitely didn't bode well for Dad. He was probably going to sleep in the living room for a while. Then again, he deserved it.

I was fine, but it didn't change the fact that he tried to provoke me into 'showing my full potential' as well as knocked me out by smacking my head with a super high level sword attack that hit three times within a split second.

Not to mention the fact that being hit in the head like that while I was channeling so much mana was one of the main reasons why I got blinded... Yeah. Dad's affection meter from everyone around definitely plummeted to zero.

I sighed and then opened the door to the house, walking in with Master Roxy and Sylphy trailing after me.

Warm air drifted over as I entered, the house heated by a flame crackling in the fireplace.

I smiled at the warmth and then carefully unwound my scarf, setting it on a shelf nearby.

Master Roxy walked in and took off her hat, hanging that up on a stand nearby.

And Sylphy just waved her hand, wicking off the water and ice to chuck it outside. After that, she closed the door and walked back to my side.

...Seriously though. Was Sylphy the reincarnation of a snow spirit or something? The way she used water, wind, and ice was just so natural and fluid...

The door to the master bedroom opened, and then Sylphy's Mom, Rose, walked out.

She looked tense as she exited. But when she noticed us, she let out a sigh of relief. Walking over with a smile on her face, she wiped off her hands on her dress and said, "Did everything work out? It was worrisome for a moment there..."

Sylphy hugged my arm and smiled. "It went great, Mom!" She looked up at me and said, "Rudy's super strong, you know?"

I coughed and averted my gaze.

Master Roxy met my gaze and then shook her head, walking over to the dining table. "Super strong, yes. Super smart... Not so much."

I winced.

Sylphy noticed and then glared at Roxy.

I gently pried Sylphy off my arm and turned towards Rose. I glanced back at the master bedroom and said, "Are Norn and Aisha sleeping?"

"That's right." Rose sighed and then walked over to the kitchen, tending to some steaming pots on the stove. After lowering the flames, she turned back and said, "Your poor sisters tired themselves out from crying so I put them to bed in the other room. But don't worry, Rudy. They're fine."

I sighed and then smiled at her. "Thanks for taking care of them, Miss Sylphy's Mom."

Rose laughed and said, "Still calling me that, Rudy?"

Sylphy walked over to the kitchen and started rummaging around the pantry. "Is there any tea, Mom? Something warm to drink would be nice."

"Oh, let me, Luffy. I think Zenith keeps some honey and tea leaves over here..."

While Sylphy and her mom went to prepare tea in the kitchen, Master Roxy beckoned for me to follow her to the living room. And from the serious look on her face, it wasn't just for a casual conversation.

I sighed and followed after her.

-LIV-

Roxy stared at the young child sitting on the couch in front of her.

Rudeus Greyrat. Her first student and only disciple.

He was small. Roxy was conscious about her height and size, smaller than the average woman. But Rudy was even shorter than her by a whole head.

Of course, he had been even smaller when she first met him, so it was more accurate to say that he had grown up now.

But he was still a child. A child who was only seven years old... and yet a child who stood off against Dragon God Orsted without fear.

Roxy hadn't known who the person was at the time, but after hearing Paul mention the man's name, it made sense.

That primal fear she felt when facing the man as well as the monstrous mana that shone as bright as the sun...

Ah. But Rudy's mana was about the same.

Realizing that made Roxy remember once again just how ridiculous her disciple was.

Rudy shifted on the couch, avoiding Roxy's gaze. His hair, still a pure silver, moved as he did. A stark contrast from the lovely light brown hair he once had. And paired with his bright green eyes, in a certain light, Rudy could be mistaken for a ghost.

He was different now. Older, for sure. His body was also more trained, showing honed muscles beneath the few remaining traces of baby fat.

Roxy was sure of it. In just a few years, he would become a lady killer. Rudy's maturity, cute face, intelligence, and talent. In a short time, all of it would explode and make him an irresistible force of nature.

And the fact that Sylphy clung onto Rudy's words and supported him so much showed that he was already starting on that path. Especially considering that the young elf girl was willing to throw herself into a life and death fight on Rudy's behalf.

But it was reckless. Both her actions and Rudy's.

Right. While Roxy's disciple was a monstrous talent born with gifts that were enough to make even the great legends envious, the fact didn't change that he was still just a child.

A child who didn't know right from wrong and recklessness from bravery.

...Though that was partially her fault.

Roxy hadn't realized it. Because Rudy was so smart and had god given talents, she thought he would pick up on it.

And after Roxy heard how he managed to somehow keep his family together despite Paul's lustful nature and affection falling towards Lilia as well as Zenith, Roxy thought he was mature enough for it to not be an issue. That growing up had solved it.

After all, if he had the ability and insight to somehow convince the staunch believer of Milis that Zenith was into accepting Lilia in their family, Rudy was surely mature enough to at least have common sense.

But he didn't.

Calling out to the Dragon God while he was leaving and earning the Dragon God's ire with a few words. Actually going to *fight* the Dragon God in close combat instead of relying on magic or trying to talk him down. Playing the role of a hero and trying to taunt the Dragon God...

It was infuriating. The Rudy she remembered was more mature and calculating.

...And it seemed that Rudy realized it as well, considering how he was avoiding Roxy's gaze.

Roxy sighed.

The past was the past. In hindsight, Roxy should have treated Rudy a bit more harshly and emphasized how talented he was instead of treating him like it was normal. If she had done that, perhaps he wouldn't have grown up so distorted as to think he could challenge the second strongest World Power.

And perhaps he would have been a bit more responsible and cautious as well.

But that couldn't be helped. So instead, Roxy fixed a stern gaze on Rudy and said, "What have you been keeping to yourself, Rudy? Who is this Being W and Hitogami? And why did you ask Orsted if he knew about him?"

Rudy flinched. And then he sighed and said, "Well... It's a bit hard to explain. But since Master can see mana now as well..." He paused and said, "It started in the forest shortly after you left. I was out exploring because I was feeling a bit lonely when I noticed a weird white mist drifting around..."

158