149 – The Hero – I
1.4k 8 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rudy set down his cup and then continued speaking in Japanese. "As you know, I was reincarnated just like you." He paused and then said, "...You are reincarnated, right?"

Stella rolled her eyes and spoke in Japanese as well. "Of course I am. What kind of toddler can do things like this?"

"Well, your big sisters were pretty smart too, so I had to make sure. Also, I spoke a lot of Japanese when you were a baby and babies pick things up really easily..." Rudy rubbed his chin and then stared at Stella and said, "Who's the prime minister of Japan?"

Stella frowned and said, "...Abe Shinzo? I think?"

She remembered her dad talking about him a lot and ranting about how his policies threatened Japanese pacifism and were damaging relations with China and South Korea.

Rudy blinked and then said, "Really? Huh." He frowned and then said, "...Do you remember what day you died?"

Stella gave Rudy a blank stare. "...Is that something you should be asking your baby sister?"

Rudy let out an awkward laugh and said, "Probably not. But it will help clear some things up." He reached over to pick up his hot cocoa and took a sip. After that, he frowned and said, "Like why both of us were reincarnated in the first place."

"Eh?" Stella blinked and said, "You mean you don't know why you reincarnated, Onii-chan? I thought you were an isekai protagonist?" She sipped on her cocoa and said, "Didn't you get to talk to a goddess or something to give you your cheats?"

"What?" Rudy blinked and then burst out laughing. He waved his hand and said, "No way. I was just an ordinary person before I died." He paused and then said, "Well. Probably less than ordinary considering how much trouble I left behind for everyone."

Onii-chan? An ordinary person?

Hearing that, Stella couldn't help but give Rudy a blank stare.

He laughed again and said, "Yeah, yeah. Things got a little out of hand, but I seriously was an ordinary person. Even in this life, you know? The only reason I'm like this now is because I took advantage of my headstart as a reincarnator and bootstrapped my way all the way up here."

"...Uh-huh."

Stella didn't believe that.

Even if magic was some wishywashy concept that you could do anything with like that story with the scar-faced wizard kid, no ordinary person would be able to do what Onii-chan was doing now without some help.

Rudy waved his hand and said, "Enough about that. For now... Let's get a timeline sorted out." He put on a serious face and said, "I died around the new year of 2015 after my life support was turned off. Shortly after that, I woke up in Mom's arms and came face to face with our silly Dad. What about you?"

...Stella felt like there was a *lot* of information in that bit Onii-chan said, but he had a point. Knowing when they died might help figure out why they reincarnated. And if they figured out why they reincarnated... Well, maybe they could figure out how to stop all the craziness around them?

And also smack the person responsible a few times.

Stella had some choice words to give to the person who dropped her in this crazy world without her permission.

Granted, she wouldn't give it up since she had a super cool and reliable Onii-chan, pretty and kind (if a little ero) Onee-chans, and both friends and family who cared for her. But she'd still liked to slap that person in the face, or kick in their balls if they were a guy.

But anyway, Onii-chan's question.

Stella swirled her hot cocoa and tilted her head before saying, "I... think it was mid-January? I remember it being just before Winter break ended."

"Huh." Rudy frowned and said, "...Then is it not related? That's definitely later than when I died... Unless I really did linger around as an earthbound spirit for a while before I passed? That would explain why my memories are kind of fuzzy- Ah." He blinked and then said, "Wait. Do you have all your memories of your past life, Stella?"

Stella blinked and slowly nodded. "...Yes?"

She just... tried her best not to think about it too much these days, but she definitely remembered everything.

Rudy's frown deepened and he muttered, "Does samsara exist then? If so, did the fact that I had a proper Buddhist funeral mean that the sins committed were washed away and let me be reborn as a human instead of a monster or an animal? No, did I break out of the cycle of reincarnation then?"

...Onii-chan kept saying he was a normal person, but with everything he kept casually saying...

"Hey, Onii-chan."

Rudy blinked and said, "Yeah, Stella?"

"...What were you in your past life, really?"

"Hm?" Rudy tilted his head and said, "I told you, didn't I? I was just an ordinary guy. I mean, I wasted a lot of my life and talents trying to take shortcuts to make it big, but in the end I was just a normal salaryman. I even died a fairly normal death all things considered, haha."

Rudy laughed and brushed it off like it was nothing, using that excuse again.

Stella didn't let it go though and kept asking. "Well, what was your job as a salaryman? Onii-chan *can't* have been just an ordinary person."

There was no way. He was too smart, too creative, and too much a natural at being a Demon Lord for him to just be an ordinary person.

Rudy shook his head. "I don't know what to tell you, Stella. I got hired at a typical 9-5 job as a project manager for a finance firm... or something." He paused and said, "Come to think of it, I don't remember the details... but that should be it. Ah, I remember it had good life insurance policy though. In the end, I managed to help pay off my family's debts and get them good Christmas presents." After saying that, Rudy finished with a bright smile.

After hearing all of that and seeing his face, Stella realized it.

"Onii-chan."

"Yeah?"

"You're an idiot."

Rudy laughed and patted Stella's head. "Yep." He pulled out a notebook from his sleeve and waved it around. "And that's why I started making a Dummy's guide on how to not be a Greyrat. I'm sure it's going to be a coveted heirloom in the future... For now though, it's doing a lot of good." He paused and said, "Oh yeah." He put on a serious face and said, "Something I forgot to mention that's really important for you especially, Stella."

Stella put on a serious face as well and said, "What is it, Onii-chan?"

Rudy placed both his hands on Stella's shoulders and stared deep into her eyes. Then, with a solemn tone of voice, he said, "Remember. You're still a kid."

Stella puffed her cheeks and brushed off his hands. "I am *not* a kid! Dummy. I don't need you to-"

"I'm serious." Rudy cut her off and said, "Even though your mind might be older... I mean, you were probably a high schooler, right?"

"...Yes."

"Right." Rudy nodded and said, "Then you have to be more careful." He placed his hand on his chest and said, "Even though I didn't have many memories, I still clearly knew that I was an adult. But after being reincarnated, I naturally started to be a kid again and acted like one without me realizing it. And when I tried going against that natural instinct..." He paused and said, "Well, I guess Being W was messing around, so it wasn't entirely my fault, but in the end things got messy."

Stella crossed her arms and said, "So what? I should just play pretend and ignore everything?"

"Of course not. But Stella." Rudy placed his hand on Stella's head and said, "Whether through fortune or misfortune, you got a second life. You really got reincarnated and have a chance to have fun as a kid again. Don't be in too much of a rush to grow up, okay? Onii-chan will be here to handle things, so you can do what you want. And if that's saving children from being kidnapped, that's great. But don't do things just so that you won't be treated as a kid. Because even if you think you aren't, to us... Well, to me at least, you're still my cute little baby sister, okay? So just have fun."

"..." Stella lowered her gaze, suddenly finding it hard to meet Rudy's bright gaze. "...Baka Onii-chan. It's not fair for you to be that cool."

Rudy laughed and said, "Well. I'm just happy that my baby sister thinks I'm cool this time around instead of the scum of the earth. It's a nice change of pace. But anyway." Rudy stood up and finished his hot cocoa. "How about we go meet your new friends and get everyone ready for a fieldtrip, hm?"

Stella picked up her cup and hopped off the bed, shyly moving behind Rudy. "...Fine."

Rudy smiled and then started walking off. "I'll lead the way then... Oh. And Stella?"

"Yes, Onii-chan?"

"...Don't tell Norn that I gave you hot cocoa. Your Onee-chan's already been hounding me about playing with her and making up for breaking my promise, so she'd definitely start clinging to me even more if she found out I was spoiling you a bit."

Stella sipped on her hot cocoa, thinking about it for a bit. And then she nodded. "Okay."

"Great. Then-"

"I'm definitely telling Onee-chan that Onii-chan is playing favorites."

"H-Hey now! L-Let's talk this out, Stella-"

Stella giggled and then ran ahead to open the door.

"Wait! Stella. Stella! STELLAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

45