Rise of the Undead king part 32
13 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We stood before the large door of the laboratory, Vel placed her hand on its markings, a purple light radiated from them. We heard metallic clinging sounds just before it opened, revealing the many shapes of the instruments, the bookcases filled with potions, and heaps of books laying everywhere.

This time the space in the middle was open. She walked in front of me and I followed her, she went to a bookcase in the back. All the tricks master had and he would use a simple one like this? So I asked her 'Are you serious?' She simply turned to me with an innocent look on her face. 'What? these are the cheapest hidden doors.' She drew a pattern in the air which I couldn't follow and spoke, 'may the feathers of Blevulpus feast on all this world has to offer.' The words came out of her sounding drowned as if she spoke underwater. The bookcase dissolved into a neat rectangle puddle. I took care to step over it, don't want any bookcase under my shoe. We entered, it was dark and packed with all kinds of things, I think I even saw some of Vel's old toys. ‘Now we just need some light’ she made the hiss sound again which was followed by the tapestry of green light stretching out around us. As it crawled over the floor, it still didn't light up the whole room. In the faint light I think I saw her smile, then she said 'Ah, there it is. We are in luck Jacob.’ And grabbed a little pouch faintly glowing orange, she tapped it, and as she did the glow faded away.

'We can go now, I'll return it when we come back.'

It was very cool to see her do magic, it made me wonder what I would be able to do later. But I guess We'll see.

When we were walking back I noticed Vel stepped on the puddle but she didn't affect it in the slightest, as if it were solid. We stood in the middle of the lab and she put a finger inside the pouch a dark powder had gathered on her finger. She explained 'This powder will anchor the spell and make its effect linger on you, trickery isn't really my affinity so I need some help from this.'
She first applied some of it on her own face, then she did the same to mine as she spoke 'It's important that you don't get wet, and don't get too close or talk to anyone for too long.'

'Why not?'

'Trickery is just not my strong suit. Now be quiet, I need to concentrate.'

Her brows furrowed in a frown, she mumbled something under her breath and touched my forehead and then her own. I felt a warm feeling spread all over my face coming from the point her finger had previously been. When I looked at her a blush rested on her face. A little out of breath she spoke 'I think it worked. Just so you know we aren't disguised, people should just have a harder time recognizing us. Unless we want them to of course.’

With the pouch in its original place behind the bookcase which we left entirely materialized. We now stood outside completely dressed. Ice gathered around the edges of the windows and people were covered in layers of clothes topping it off with a rug or a nice scarf like Vel. A sighing cloud left her mouth. 'At least the cold will slow down the undead.' I looked at her to discover the truth behind those words, 'You sure, I don't feel anything.' She just gave me a look and said 'No, but you are weird.'

'I Thought I was silly.'

 We walked like this for a while giving each other witty or snappy remarks. Until we reached "Jester's Sweets". The store that sells candy among other things. On our way we did pass quite some guards it seemed like there were more of them than last time. But nobody minded us. Because the spell seems to work very well. Now we were standing before the large windows of the store, above it a large sign light blue and pink drawing the attention of anyone who would pass by. Jester was truly a master of sweets, he could not only make anything from it as shown by the huge candy horse in the shop window. It would always be a blessing for your taste buds to be eating one f his creations. But there is one thing.

We quickly went inside and saw Jester standing behind the counter, a young man with curling red hair a little chubby in his face but that almost goes unseen.

'Good afternoon lady Cravelia, how nice of you to stop by.'

She smiled kindly at him, saying 'Common Jester, you know I can't stay away from this place for too long.' I looked at him a little suspicious, I knew he liked Vel, he would always give her something extra. 'Ah Jacob, nice of you to join her' he gave me a look that reflected nothing he just said.

'Yeah you know, we were studying and decided to come for a snack.'

He looked just as shocked as I wanted him to, his eyes tried to find the reason but he had to ask
'Why would you study?'

Vel interrupted us. 'Well Jester I think that is none of your concern, but do you have something we could try together?' KO, he seemed done for and I could not suppress a small grin 'What do you mean together?'

She was caught off-guard, not expecting him to seek anything behind her words, she hastily went on and clarified 'Ow.. I mean something we can share, like those.' And she pointed at the chocolates.

The worries on his face didn’t diminish in the slightest 'Ow no, I don't think you'll like those.'

Vel looked at him as if he had said something crazy, I did just that but decided to give him a little 'What nonsense Jester, everything you make is delicious. Your sweets are the best I've ever had.' Even though I complimented him he didn't seem to like it.

Vel’s gaze went from me to him nodding very much in agreement and saying 'I'll like two of these please.' A sigh left his mouth, 'sure that will be 3 Lura's.' We left with our chocolate after Vel paid, telling him that the horse looked amazing and he really has a lot of talent. He blushed a bit after her kind words. We walked through the streets, but we couldn't just start eating anywhere It was way too cold. So we wanted to return home, as we walked past many people who wanted to spend as little time as possible outside it started snowing. My face turned to hers 'Umm, Vel does this count as getting wet?' she seemed to be concerned.

1