Chapter 2: The Dog
32 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Howard stretched as he got up for the day. Today he was going to see his Cousin Jimmy in Helmshire. A large town quite a ways off from his small village of Mudtrap. Grabbing his pack and he began stuffing it full with everything he needed. The trip would take three days total if everything went well. So he had to be prepared.

Normally he would make this journey with either his parents or friends. This would be the first time he would traverse the roads alone. Although being of twenty years Howard was more than old enough to do so.

He had been living out on his newly claimed land for 3 days now. In that time he has managed to cut or clear a lot of grass showing the beautiful rich soil underneath. Its dark almost black coloration was beat down around his hovel to create a more solid area to walk on.

True he had to fight with a couple of snakes that did not like him trespassing into their territory. However Howard did not grow up on a ranch without learning how to handle such pests. So the situation was quickly handled with as little screaming as possible. Not that anyone would know about the screaming.

Though he was not injury free from his home improvement efforts as his hands and arms had little lacerations from particularly difficult grass or bushes. There was even pair of clothes that he had to repurpose after he lost an argument with a particularly vicious bramble. It still sat smugly just left of his hovel as if to rub its victory in.

Shoving the last of his rations into the pack he wandered over to the large flat bolder acting as the table. Howard plucked up a knife and sectioned off some cheese from the wheel. It had been a gift from his Mother yesterday, and should last for the next week or so.

He frowned down at the food before deciding to wrap the cheese in a wax cloth to keep away mice and other critters while he was away. It was much too big to take with him anyways. Satisfied he left his new home to begin his journey to Helmshire.

The day was clear with a hint of a breeze making for a comfortable walk through the now mushed grass trail. Fairly quickly it turned into a hardened dirt path cutting through Mudtrap and vanishing into the distance.

An Oxen pulled cart slowly rolled into view headed back to Mudtrap. Five people sitting in the straw shouting and goofing off obviously having hitched a ride. Howard stepped out of the way as it rolled past catching a glimpse of weapons and armor. Howard waved at the cart shaking his head at the now identifiable adventurers.

Truly an occupation that he did not understand. The search for adventure he could just look at what he has done in the name of such things. However to go and battle beasts just for a thrill, no. His mother while open to many things would probably skin him herself just to make it easier on the monsters. He would never partake in such foolishness.

By nightfall he made it to the bustling town of Helmshire. The stone walls rose into the air protecting its citizens from the dangers of the outside world. Howard smiled as he showed his identification papers to the guard just missing the strange look he received for traveling alone.

Slowly he made his way to the seedier part of town. Shouting and the smell of alcohol filling the air. Howard smiled as he came across the inn his cousin liked to stay at. A charming little place called Troll's Tap. He pushed open the door feet sticking to the floor with every step. The pungent aroma of sweat, booze, and smoke filled the air making it difficult to breath.

Howard wasn't sure if he was cut out for life in a town, but his cousin seemed to thrive in it. Glancing around he found his target. There in the back corner surrounded by some relatively large men was Jimmy. He could just make out some faintly hissed words as he made his way over.

“.. like I don't have it see. It is just a little late.” Jimmy was saying to a larger male. His muscles seeming to have ripped out of his clothes at the sleeves permanently destroying the shirt. A black smudge of some kind lay on his arm. It was difficult to make out in the dim lights of Troll's Tap.

“Now see, you said it would be here today. Are you holding out on us Jimmy?” Drawled a bored voice in front of the muscle man letting him know that Jimmy had in fact been talking to him not the one standing.

“No, no I am just waiting for...” Jimmy's eyes landed on Howard who had almost made it to the table by this point. “... him! I was just waiting for little ol' Howie. Now let me just go get the package from him an' I'll be right back.”

Howard frowned as Jimmy bolted for the table and grabbed his arm. “Jimmy I don't have...” His cousin laughed loudly cutting off his protest about not having this mysterious package.

“Right I know. You don't have the time to play around today. Not to worry it'll be quick. Right boys?” Jimmy asked the men at the table. The muscled one frowing but nodding in ascent as Howard was drug from the inn. Soon they were out the door the night air so much easier to breath despite the stench of vomit coming from one of the dark ally way nearby.

Jimmy released a great sigh and lend on him. “Thank the goddess your here Howie. I have been trying to get away from there for the last thirty minutes. You trade up on one deal and its like the world ends for 'em. Ridiculous I tell you. Makes you wonder if they are even really business men. You know what I mean? Of course you do. Come on, let's get out of here.” He said with a chuckle.

Despite Jimmy's assurance that obviously Howard knew what he was talking about. He did in fact have no idea what was going on and was quite confused about the whole situation. Although one thing he has learned when meeting with Jimmy is to just stay quiet when you don't know. It was better that way.

“Now I know it is a bit rude, but I'm ganna have to ask ya to buy the dog and go. No staying in town tonight.” Jimmy dragged him down a maze of pitch black alleyways without care. Never missing a step as they went. It had always amazed Howard when they did this. “Now Aunt Marge has told me ya moved out and are lookin' to go into goat herding. Quite the change your bringin' to old Mudtrap, eh?”

A hand shot up and forced Howard to stop as he breathed heavily from the almost run he had to do to keep up. Footsteps stomped by at the end of the ally as Jimmy stood quietly letting Howard catch his breath. As the sounds faded Jimmy started again. “Auntie Marge has said that she wanted somethin' to keep ya safe while out in the forest with the goats. It just so happens that I have this little ol' pup that needs a home.”

The alleyway widened into what looked like storage sheds. Jimmy jogged over to one of the sheds and pushed a door open silently. Howard glanced around before following Jimmy in. The man lit up a candle bringing light to the small area and causing the shadows to dance. Bright red eyes flashed in the light as low growls emitted from one of the corners. The shadows too thick to see the cause.

“Here ya are. One bea-est pup to train. I'm sure the little tike will make a wonderful herding... dog.” Jimmy commented while eyeing the corner. Howard smiled slightly at the growls knowing it was just scared. He had always had a soft spot for dogs.

“Come here little guy.” Howard whispered crouching down to be lower to the ground. It always soothed dogs when he did this. Slowly a rather large puppy coated in pitch black fur stepped out of the shadows. Jimmy flinched when the almost demonic red eyes landed on him before dismissing his presents.

Howard held out his hand letting the puppy sniff it before it licked. Smiling he began petting the puppy. Ruffling up the fur and discreetly searching for injuries. It wouldn't due if he purchased a sick animal after all. Not that he believed Jimmy would do that to him. “What breed is he?” He asked Jimmy when he couldn't figure it out. He was sure he knew all the common herding breeds. Maybe it was a mix.

Jimmy cleared his throat. “Mutt. Now I really need ta go and so do ya. So if you could just pay me the five coppers promised we can get on the way.” Looking back down at the mutt Howard nodded and fished out the money. It would be a good investment and with it so young he can train it how he wants.

“Sure Jimmy. Here you go.” Jimmy snatched the money up without looking and dashed out the door making the mutt growl. “Huh, I guess he was late getting back to his friends.” Remembering the two men sitting at Troll's Tap. Feeling tired and not wanting to pay for an inn Howard glanced around the empty shack. “You think anyone will mind me sleeping here?” He asked the puppy.

The mutt just let out a soft woof as he pulled out his sleeping roll. As he laid down to rest after a long day of walking the pup curled up at his side. Smiling Howard pet the mutt happy about his new pet. He was now one step closer to fulfilling his dream!

0