Chapter 4: Puddlesnipe
26 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dog ran around the vaguely goat shaped wooden cut outs. It was tradition in Mudtrap to train new herding animals with wood structures. Mostly to prevent injury to the livestock when training rambunctious pups. It was a time tested training that has worked out really well over the years. As all the dogs had been trained in this way.

The slightly monstrous shadows were hidden in and out of the tall grass as Howard whistled commands at the pup. Dog would then run into the grass and 'herd the goats' to the indicated location. Rough wheels on the bottom making the wooden silhouettes moveable.

A little ways away from the training was a group of men moving around the hovel. These were the carpenters that have come to build Howard a real home. He was excited about the prospect of having his own house. Sure he had the hut he built but it really wan't the same. Especially considering it was barely even weather proof. He had lucked out so far as he wasn't sure it could stand up to a true rain storm.

Howard whistled sharply causing Dog to freeze and look over at its owner waiting for its next command. It was really a very smart puppy. He would have to write a letter to Jimmy thanking him for such a wonderful animal and for so little. He should really send him something. Family prices were not something many people could afford to do. Maybe some goat meat when he is a bit steadier on his feet. It would be a nice thank you present.

Dog padded over and sat next to him when he clicked his tongue. Maybe it was time to buy some goats. Dog was well enough behaved to be able to herd now, and the house had reached the point where he would have to sleep somewhere else for the next two nights at least.

With a decisive nod he headed back down the hill to the carpenters. In the morning he would leave for Puddlesnipe. A larger town just half a days walk from Mudtrap. Dog, realizing that he was not needed right now, ran off to the nearby river jumping in. It was a hot day after all.

At dawn the two headed off from their hovel and down the road to Puddlesnipe. The cool breeze making the journey much more enjoyable then when Howard went to pick up Dog. The road was quiet making it possible for Dog to run in and out of the trees and around the road without worry. He was still a puppy after all despite being the size of an adult Husky.

His fluffy black fur ruffling in the wind as he chased the birds daring enough to get close. The gates of the town soon became visible as they had meet zero complications. The guards hardly even glancing at Dog as Howard presented his documents to get into town.

Puddlesnipe is known for its trading. Showing an abundance of options to pick from. Whither it be the wide imported fruit, spices, or even the animals they had for sale. The markets were always packed and it would take some time to find what Howard wanted. As such he planed to spend a couple days here.

With a smile he headed to a tavern that doubled as boarding for the farmers and ranches coming to trade. It was always nice to stay in such places as they allowed stabling for all kinds of animals. Canines were also allowed in the building itself, and since Dog did not have a flock to look after yet he would be staying with Howard.

More and more animal sounds could be heard as they drew closer to the farmers market. A well lit yet not crowded tavern greeted the entrance of the area. Large block letters declared it as 'The Ancient Pillow'. Not that Howard could read. He just saw the artistically done pillow and tankard on the sign. The same kind many taverns had so that illiterate peasants knew where they could stay.

Dog and Howard made there way inside observing the other residents of the building. Their dusty worn clothes showing their peasant status, while the strong animal smell signified a job involving livestock. Howard liked the place.

He requested a room for two nights and retrieved his key. It was late afternoon but he could still see what was up for offer. Granted he couldn't get anything more than what was cheap and common. However later when he was more settled it would be wonderful to have all sorts or rare breeds!

Howard and Dog excitedly made their way to the farmer's market. Small pins lining the roads showing off the animals for sale. Fruit, meat, and grain out and open for anyone to buy. He was in heaven.

Off to the side was a pin of Alpine Goats. They lazed around in their varying colors. Howard stood observing the goats half listening to conversations going on around him. “The adventures have stocked up on supplies again.” Dog wolfed playfully at the goats causing them to jump and baa in fright. Hm, maybe not Alpine. They were a bit expensive anyways.

“Good, they were causing more property damage then their presents compensates for.” The next pin held some beautiful black and white spotted LaMancha Goats. Their coloration the same as father's milk cows. Howard didn't think LaMancha would be the right breed for him. It seemed Dog thought so as well as he growled at the goats that were curious enough to make their way over.

“I heard that they robbed some guy on the highway to the capital. Something about compensating them for services rendered.” Howard skipped past the Nigerian Dwarfs as they would be too small to keep in the fields. Easy prey to the predators in the area. It would also make it difficult for Dog to herd them. Maybe he should head over to the meat goats. Right now he was at the ones good for producing milk.

“Those adventures were headed south right?” His eyes fell upon a pin of Spanish Goats. Their dark brown fur and long curved horns standing out in the crowed. He knew they were hardy goats and would be fine out in the fields. They also had wonderful horns to defend themselves with. The problem was the price. Spanish Goats were expensive. Howard bit his lip and moved on. He could always save up to have a nice tribe of Spanish Goats later on.

With a sigh he headed back to the tavern. Tomorrow he could pick out some new goats. “Come on Dog, lets call it a night. I'm sure the Tavern has a nice meal for us.” Dog barked and padded after its owner. Life was looking up for Dog.

 

 

 

ʕ•̫͡•ʕ*̫͡*ʕ•͓͡•ʔ-̫͡-ʕ•̫͡•ʔ*̫͡*ʔ-̫͡-ʔ

 

 

 

Meanwhile a group of adventures were exhausted. They had just came back from exterminating a large beast that looked like a lime green bear. Its sharp teeth had shredded some of their armor. Really all they wanted to do was rest for the night.

They stumbled down a hill and saw a shadowed half destroyed ruin wedged into the side. Hidden from where they just came. Smiles decorated the party members lips as they made their way over. A safe place to rest for the night. They passed weird almost demonic effigies on their way. Just helping to prove that this was in fact an old ruin.

The building was surprising well kept for a ruin. There was also a weirdly large number of functional mouse traps. As proven by the paladin that was now nursing a swollen hand. The rogue of the group had a wonderful time setting off and finding a whole thirty traps. Twenty of which had been around varies food items.

The adventures were ecstatic. Not only were they in a safe place to sleep there was even food. Completely over looking the fact that any food found in a ruin would have definitely gone bad. They raided the building for what they needed and then took any extra items they could carry. They could always sell them in the next town they came across. They had to buy new armor after all. That bear had done a number on their equipment.

Pleased with the turn of events they bedded down to rest after a full meal. It was looking like a bright day tomorrow.

0