Chapter 6: Lessons
31 3 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Howard sat in the Hunter's Guild. Hands clenched in his lap. Eyes glinting in determination as he watched Grover demonstrate how to make a rat trap. Children sat scattered around the room with the required materials piled in front of them. This was one of the weekly classes held for free by the Hunter's Guild.

The children would make the traps demonstrated by Grover. Learning how to put together or dismantal them. The skill was very useful and helped the children learn a life skill. Especially if they wished to be Hunters in the future.

Unfortunately Howard had never had the opportunity as a child to appear in one of the classes. Having spent all his time helping out at the ranch. Learning his family's craft and how to apply it to goat herding. Seeing no need to learn any Hunter skills. However that was in the past!

After being robbed of all his household items. Then having that snide grudge holding dungpatty of a person known as Craig preceded to sell his life. Howard is broke. He spent all his money on second hand household necessities! None of them nearly as high a quality as his original items.

So here he was sitting in a children's class learning how to construct traps. He still had a mouse problem after all. Just no money to buy the traps he needed. This left being able to make them himself to cut costs. He also hoped to create something a bit larger to ward off any bandits. Nothing too complicated or deadly. Just more of a deterrent. There was no way he was being robbed again. His money pouch can't take it!

A couple of kids glanced at him confused. It was highly unusual for an adult to sit in on these classes after all. Most of the time it was kids between eight and ten that showed up. young enough that they couldn't work, but old enough to start planning their jobs. The Hunter's Guild was the easiest to get into after all.

Howard slowly copied Grover. Small metal wire pinned down and straining against its hold. The trap was tedious and not exactly something he could make with what he already had on hand. Perhaps he can try to make something else. He knows that there are many different kinds of traps just not what they are. Let alone how they are made, but that is what these classes are for.

With a frown Howard observed his completed trap. His being the best looking out of the class. Not that it was hard being up against children.

The mouse traps were collected and Grover moved on. Apparently these were made every lesson before learning new things. The traps being used to fund the free classes. Howard sat up straighter. Eyes and ears completely focused on the new task. This was what he needed!

Grover moved to a black flattened stone section on the wall. The area extremely clean as if it was washed regularly. A white pointy rock firmly grasped in his hand. Swiftly Grover drew out a diagram of the new trap. Terrible scraping rubbing noises causing everyone to cringe. The sound making Howard grimace.

A crude picture of a pit filled with spikes appeared on the wall. Illustrated with extreme familiarity if not skill. Grover explained that these traps were called Pits. A pit trap should be camouflaged with leaves, branches, grass, or whatever else you could find. This was to hide it from any prey that they wished to catch. However since they were camouflaged it was easy to fall into it yourself. To prevent this each pit trap needed to be marked.

Apparently the forest had quite a few of these traps around and each Hunter had their own symbols next to it. The symbols were registered at the Guild and acted kind of like an identification mark. When you made a trap, especially camouflaged ones, these marks showed that they were yours. As well as warned others that there is a trap around so be careful.

Howard observed the diagram critically. He could add this to his house. It would certainly help mark off his land and limit the areas people could enter from. He would have to make it himself as he didn't have the money to hire anyone. Although the times he took the goats out to graze would be perfect for this.

It would take a while and he was sure, but it would be an excellent warning. Howard didn't plan to hide it after all. The pit could run the length of his fence. Acting as a second barrier to his ranch. That way it would keep out monsters and bandits.

Thoughtfully, Howard followed along with the lesson. Asking Grover questions when he didn't understand something, and ignoring the kids. Unknown to Howard a spark had been lit in his heart. One that was bound to grow as time went on. The protection of his ranch is important after all.

Meanwhile Dog lay in the grass near his pack leader’s new goats. The animals were big. Their white fur thick. Two extremely sharp horns adored their head. Dog watched the animals with interest.

The goats returned the favor. Always one of the tribe keeping watch on the pitch black shadow beast posing as a pet dog. The beast was young and seemed content to act out its pet role. As such the goats were largely unconcerned. Merely cautious.

Dog shifted forward a little. Body low to the ground. Belly dragging across the dirt as he crawled. A couple more goats looked up the younger ones skirting closer to the elder. With a playful bark Dog launched himself at the tribe. Aiming to scare fully aware that it wasn't allowed to hurt them.

The young ones bleated and scattered. Their hooves tearing into the soft grass as they ran for the rocky safety found in the nearby cliffs. Contrarily the elder ones merrily went back to grazing leaving Dog to his fun. The animals recognizing the intent to play not harm.

To the side overlooking the tribe and Dog was an extremely old goat. Its fur more grey then white with a couple of scars decorating its body. The animal huffed as it watched the beast play around with the young ones. It was pleased with its new home.

Despite the pup, or because of it, the area was very safe for its tribe. The old goat had watched over its herd for many years and was the protector. Their new home was giving it a much needed rest. It didn't hurt that the rambunctious young now had someone to play with. Yes it was a good life for the old goat now that it was bought by Howard.

0