Introduction
1.1k 1 38
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I marveled at the space around me which seemed to go on forever, filled with nothingness beyond my familiar bookshelves. The little orb in front of me was waiting for my attention to be focused once again, knowing that this must be overwhelming.

I looked down at it and muttered an apology as I tried to ignore the confusion taking over my thoughts. “Sorry, this is a lot to take in and I would appreciate any help you can give me orb.”

“Honestly, you’re taking this much better than most people would considering your situation. I am here to assist you with the Library World and integration of knowledge. I’m sure you can tell that these are the books you were missing from your home, with some added in after the system created physical copies of the information contained in your device.”

“Ok, I understand that, but what is this place?”

“This is the Library World created by the system to help you grow and gather knowledge easier and more efficiently. The system is put in place to absorb and collect as much information as possible. So, please assist the system in the future to the best of your efforts!”

“Alright, but why does the system need to collect knowledge, and who created the system?”

“Sorry, I can’t answer those questions. The host doesn’t have permission to access the knowledge of who created the system. Please diligently work towards unlocking this information in the future!”

“Well, I guess it doesn’t really matter who created this or what it’s for as long as it isn’t a danger to me. Do you have a name? I can’t really just keep calling you little orb.”

“I don’t currently have a name, but you can assign one to me if you would like. We will be very close going forward, so it would benefit us to have a better relationship.”

I had to think about it for a while, there have been a lot of unique names in the various books I’ve read, but none come to mind immediately. This entity seems to be feminine so I’ll have to give her an appropriate name.

“How about Ava? It’s short and rolls off the tongue well.” The glowing orb seemed to flash intensely as it rushed in close to my face. “So, you like Ava?” The orb backed away from me slowly, fading slightly and turning a hue of red seemingly blushing before returning to the normal white glow.

“Sorry, I got so excited, I never thought that I would have a name as I was just created to serve the Host in their growth.”

“Stop calling me Host as well, if we’re going to be on friendly terms just call me Robert.”

“Alright Robert, that sounds great! Nice to meet you! Now, I should present you with some information on how the system operates and what you need to do going forward. First, you now have a status menu that will show you numerical values relating to yourself and the system. You can access this simply by thinking Status. Go ahead and try it now, and we will go over the values you have questions about once you have it pulled up.”

Definitely sounds like a normal LITRPG situation so far, let’s see. I tried to visualize the thought of Status and a transient screen appeared in front of me.

Strength

3

Health:25

Mana:100

Stamina:20

 

Intelligence

11

Skills

 

Quick Study: You are able to read and comprehend knowledge better than most.

Information Construction: You can use known data to recreate tangible items at the cost of mana.

 

 

Vitality

4

 

Dexterity

4

 

 

The screen in front of me is pretty similar to what you would expect from any other status menu in a game. Although, it seems my stats look a little low, but I’m not aware of what normal would be. “Ava, are my stats low for a normal human?”

“Yes Robert, your stats are pretty low for a normal human, aside from your Intelligence. You haven’t exactly been what you would call active in your life so far, and your stats reflect that. You can raise them however, by doing strenuous activities or through other means such as body enhancement drugs.”

“Now that you seem familiar with how to operate the Status screen, do you have any other questions about what is displayed?”

I looked over everything once more, it all seemed pretty straightforward except for the Information Construction skill. “How does the Information Construction skill work?”

Ava bobbed over and came to a stop beside me. “Go ahead and wave the screen away to close it and I will show you how to use the skill. This is a very important one, so please pay attention.”

I swiped my hand across the screen and it slid out of existence as I focused back on everything behind it and looked towards Ava.

“Now, I will need access to your mana pool in order to show you this. So, will you approve the notification to allow me to utilize your mana in order to show you?

A screen appeared in front of me. Ava is requesting access to your Mana Pool, provide access? *Yes* *No* I quickly selected yes so we could move on and I felt a connection establish between me and Ava, kind of like connecting a water hose to the faucet.

“Thank you. Now this skill will allow you to exchange mana points to create objects that you are familiar enough with. This is determined by the Knowledge Level you have achieved in True Knowledge associated with that topic. True Knowledge is how the system determines the most correct information on a topic, and your Knowledge Level is how close you are to achieving True Knowledge within the system. True Knowledge can be changed if you discover data that furthers or changes the culmination of information the system has gathered.”

“Just like earlier go ahead and think Knowledge Levels to pull up the systems list of your current information.”

I recreated the process from earlier and a similar screen appeared in front of me with a list of information. It seems that categories are sorted into broad entries and each one can be expanded to include hundreds of types of information. I focused on Technology and it seems I have achieved a high enough understanding with my combined data to recreate a cell phone.

“Now that you can navigate the menu and check up on your growth in the categories, let's move on to recreating items with that information. I saw you were interested in the cell phone entry; all you would need to do is visualize how you would like the cell phone to appear and the functions it will have. Once you have a clear picture of what you want the item to be, you can just think or say the word Create.”

As she said it, a cell phone exactly like the one I had outside appeared on the ground just in front of us. I reached down to pick it up and touched the screen, it lit up and had access to all of the familiar functions of my cell phone.

“Wow, this is exactly like my phone. I guess this goes to show that you really are connected to my mind. Wait… does that mean you’ve seen my browser history?!”

Ava flashed in and out dimly, laughing at my sudden realization and horror of someone else peeping into my desires.

“Don’t worry Robert, I won’t tell anyone about the unicorn thing you were looking at the other day. Bahaha!”

I turned red, imagining all of the other dirty secrets that were now laid bare for Ava through our connection.

“Now that you’re familiar with how it works, go ahead and try it out for yourself”

I decided to use a cell phone just like her since the image was already familiar in my mind. While thinking of it I chose to change a couple of things. I made the screen slightly larger, improved the camera, increased the storage to four terabytes, and gave it twice the amount of battery capacity.

I could feel the drain coming out of me, like a void was being created somewhere within my body. It was much more noticeable compared to when Ava created the cell phone earlier and she seemed to catch on to my attention on it.

“That was the next thing I was going to go over with you, but it seems your Quick Study skill beat me to it. When you make modifications to an item beyond your base image of it, it draws more mana based on what and how much you have modified. You also can’t modify an item beyond your Knowledge Level in that category. If you try and make modifications that cost more mana than you currently have, the creation of the item will fail. You should be recovering mana at roughly 5 points every minute with your current Intelligence stats.”

“Those 2 tests cost you 45 mana, so you should be back to full within 10 minutes. The next thing we need to cover is your usage of the Library World. This place can be modified to fit your needs and turned into a real-world separated from your current world and accessible no matter what dimension you’re in. However, it needs to be developed using mana as well. Things like a star to provide light and gravity will have to be paid for in mana. Currently, you don’t have enough mana to make many changes within the world, so I wouldn’t really worry about it for the moment.”

“That should cover the basic use of the system for you, and I will be here if you have any questions or concerns going forward. Time flows slower in the outside world when you’re in this place, so you should have plenty of time to familiarize yourself with the system before things get too bad on your current planet.”

“Wait, what do you mean before things get too bad on my current planet?!”

38