Chapter 4: The Ghost and The Deal
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The just risen sun cast a rosy hue across the morning sky and it shone softly on the city streets, bringing with it, a flurry of early morning activity.

Inaba Motoyama jogged along the concrete path. She was clad in a black zip up vest with matching sweat pants and white running shoes.

The wind continuously brushed against her face with every step. She stopped near the beach area and looked at her watch.

ten thousand steps? Not bad.

She took out a handkerchief from her vest pocket and wiped the sweat off her forehead.

The black haired youth looked around her surroundings. The roads shimmered in the heat of the sun and the sun lit skyscrapers pierced the hot, blue sky.

However, she caught something radiating at the corner of her eye.

She placed the handkerchief back on her pocket and turned around to see who or what it was.

On the shore of the beach, a petite brunette girl stood. She had pale white skin and her long hair flew like waves on the ocean. The brunette was also clad in a light blue sundress and held her sandals on her hands, appearing to be in barefoot. She had her free hand on her forehead, covering her eyes like a visor as she gazed at the vast open sea.

Inaba’s eyes widened, uttering the words. “So beautiful.”

She was stunned to see how the brunette radiated with such beauty that one would’ve been charmed to the point of no return.

I got to let the girls know of this.

Inaba took out her phone from her vest pocket and powered it up. She then pressed on the messages icon and composed her text.

After sending it to Shigure and Eiko, the brunette disappeared from the shore. The black haired youth looked to see where she went but the petite was nowhere to be found.

She scratched the top of her head and had a puzzled expression.

Am I just seeing things?

A few minutes later, her phone began to vibrate on her hand and the device powered itself up. Displaying the words “1 new message from Eiko Mochizuki” on the screen.

She tapped on the envelope icon and a new window popped up, revealing the contents of the message.

[You saw the ghost of Yuria-san?]

She raised a brow at what she read from her friend and with the fast movement of her fingers, she managed to instantly compose her reply.

[You mean that was a ghost? How is that possible?]

She hit the send button after that and received another text from Eiko within a matter of seconds.

That was fast.

[Haven’t you heard about the legend of Yuria-san? She appears on the same spot that you stated and patiently awaits for her lover to come back home from the war. They say that she was so beautiful and her face was chiseled by the gods themselves.]

The black haired girl nodded to herself. There was no way that a living person would ever disappear that fast and if there even was one, they would have to be a superhuman. 

She placed her phone back into her vest pocket and resumed to run back home.

_

At the Urabe Residence

Tiny specks of dust seemed to dance in the shaft of midday sunlight that slanted through the window.

Shigure rubbed her bleary eyes as she got off the bed and walked towards the window. The blue sky was dotted with iffy white clouds that drifted lazily in the gentle breeze.

She stretched her arms upwards and yawned to herself.

I wonder what time it is.

The brunette girl went to her bedside table and was surprised to see that she had woken up very late. The clock had its arms at one thirty.

I’ve slept for this long?

She scratched her head and recalled that she did a complete run of My Sweet Otoko last night. It was recommended to her by Kaede Maeda as she asked her for otome games to play. The game itself wasn’t that much of a challenge to begin with as she already looked up multiple articles online on how to select the perfect dialogue for any situation.

“It cant be helped then.”

She muttered to herself before heading to the bathroom.

After having a quick shower, she went to her closet and upon opening it. Her clothes were nowhere to be seen and that’s left was a couple of one piece dresses that her mother bought for her during a sale.

She scratched the back of her head, sighing long and hard. Its not that she didn’t like wearing them but its what that musclehead, Inaba will say to her once she sees her wearing one.

The brunette youth left her room, clad in a white bathrobe and went downstairs.

She found her mother in the living room, watching her daily foreign drama that aired specifically in the afternoon.

“Mom, where are my clothes?” Shigure asked with a hint of curiosity on her voice. 

“It’s in the washing machine. You’ll see them in your drawer tomorrow.” Her mother replied, not looking away from the television screen. She turned around to face her daughter and added. “Have you eaten already? If not, there’s some simmered flounder on the table. Just help yourself with it.”

The brunette girl headed back to her room upstairs. She decided to change into the white collared one piece sleeveless dress as there were no other choices available.

She straightened the dress with her palms and arranged her hair in a low ponytail. She noticed that it didn’t feel right to just let her hair hung free as it looked awkward.

The resounding voice of her mother was heard throughout the house.

She really loves watching those shows even though she understands little of it.

Shigure remembered the day that her father brought a plan from a local shop on the market district. They were overjoyed that they could watch foreign shows on their own television. Her parents tried to watch them online but found it hard to navigate. So, they opted for the more easier one.

The brunette haired youth slapped both of her cheeks to gain confidence for the day as there is no escape from Inaba’s comments.

_

Later that day

Inaba and Eiko arrived in front of the Urabe residence. They were wondering where Shigure was as they haven’t seen her around.

Usually, they would meet at the park and talk about things that interest them but only the two of them arrived.

The black haired girl knocked softly on the tall oak door and called their friend’s name.

“Shigure! Are you here?”

Loud and slow footsteps came approaching, a few minutes later and the door slowly creaked open. Both  girls appeared to be taken aback at what was in front of them.

“S-Shigure, is that you?”

“Of course, it’s me musclehead. Who do you think it is?” Scowled the brunette, placing her hands on her hips. “My mom washed all of my clothes for today and this is the only thing that’s available.”

Eiko looked at Shigure from head to toe, nodding in response.

“You look more presentable in that way. Maybe you should dress up like this more often.”

“You’re joking right?” Shigure gasped. “Things like these aren’t my style.”

“I’m serious here.” Eiko commented. “You look gorgeous in that outfit.”

“Yeah, I agree.” Inaba chimed in, nodding in agreement. “If I were I guy, I would invite you on a date instantly.”

The brunette’s cheeks began to flush red upon hearing what Inaba and Eiko said. She expected them to tease her immediately as she always appeared boyish in front of them.

“Were you expecting me to tease you for wearing something like that?” Inaba asked, curious.

“Y-y-yeah.” Shigure stammered in her words, avoiding eye contact with both of them. “I thought you were going to say something mean to me.”

The black haired girl shook her head as she crossed her arms below her chest.

“You think too much.”

“Yeah. I probably do.” Shigure scratched the back of her head. “What are you doing here, anyway?”

“You didn’t show up at the park.” Eiko said. “So, we thought that you were here.”

“Let’s talk inside.” The brunette gestured for them.

Once they were in, Shigure closed the door behind them and they walked along the hallway.

“I stayed up all night playing a game that Maeda-san recommended to me.”

“Heh” Inaba planted a smug look on her face. “What game is it?”

“My sweet otoko is the name, I think?”

“Oh that one.” Eiko interrupted. “Who’s your favorite?”

“Probably the delinquent one, he looks so cool.” Shigure replied. “What about you, Eiko?”

“It’s the student council president for me.” Stated the blonde. “He also helps you with your studies too.”

They passed by the living room where they saw Shigure’s mother, Haruka crying in front of the television.

The older woman wiped the tears from her eyes upon noticing them and uttered. “You girls, didn’t see anything.”

To which, Shigure replied in return. “Right, right. Inaba and Eiko will be at my room.”

_

“So, you saw Yuria-san earlier this morning?” The brunette took a sip of her orange drink. “What were you doing there anyway?”

“I was doing my daily running workout and I suddenly stopped at the beach area.” Inaba explained. “While resting, I saw a very beautiful girl on the shore and I was really blown away with her or smitten, rather.”

“Huh?” Shigure raised a brow. “Didn’t you say that you like Takeda-san?”

“I do but there is something really fascinating about Yuria-san, you know.”

“Oh my.” Eiko interposed. “Is this a forbidden love affair between a high school girl and a ghost?”

The blonde’s cheeks began to flush red and she continuously panted at the thought of it.

“Such a lovely pairing that it makes my imagination go wild!”

“Come to think of it.” Shigure glanced at the tiled floor for a second and took a spoonful of rice with a small piece of flounder on top. “Isn’t there a show like that in N*tflix?”

“You mean F*rst L*ve Z*mbie?” Inaba opened her bag of chips. “How does that connect when its about a  spirit who is beside the male MC?”

“Think about it.” The brunette took a sip of her orange drink. “Yuria-san is a ghost and you, Inaba on the other hand is a high school student.”

“You’re probably right.” Inaba nodded in response to what Shigure said. “But I’m not into girls though.”

“Oh?” Eiko took a bite of cream bread. “You said that you are smitten with Yuria-san, Inaba.”

“I said I was attracted to her beauty but I’m not into that sort of thing.” The black haired girl took a couple of chips from the bag and ate it. “The only thing I like is Ujisato-kun.”

“You better confess to him now.” Eiko planted an impish grin on her face as she looked at Inaba. “Or you’ll have to spend this school break with us again.”

“However.” Shigure added. “The question is can you do for real this time?”

“Of course.” Inaba exclaimed with sheer confidence in her voice. “You’ll see that he’ll be my boyfriend in no time.”

“I’ll believe it when I see it.” The brunette stated as she doubted Inaba’s words. “You cant even talk to him straight and you stutter up.”

“Why don’t you believe me? I’ll do it for real and you’ll eat your words.” 

“Yeah, yeah.” Shigure shook her head and took a long gulp of her orange drink. “If you manage to do it then I’ll treat you this coming weekend.”

“It’s a deal then. Don’t back out if I suddenly introduce Ujisato-kun as my boyfriend.”

“Don’t worry.” The brunette smirked. “You have my word.”

“Okay, I’ll be the witness for this.” Eiko suggested. “I hope your wallet is ready for this.”

“I just got a huge allowance bonus from Dad.” Shigure said. “I have it all covered.”

0