Chapter 23 – Why Aren’t You Looking At Me? (5)
24 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a while since I’ve played that game with Kamori. After the last time we spoke, she logged off abruptly and hasn’t gotten back on ever since. I’ve been worried about her, but her account goes online sometimes, so I guess she’s just taking a break.

 

“Who could be at the door?”

 

I didn’t recognize the phone number that texted me, and I wasn’t expecting anyone else to come today. If anything, it could’ve been my parents coming home early, but they would’ve texted me if they did. That essentially left no one else, considering my small circle of friends.

 

-Rrrriiiiiingggg-

 

“Coming!”

 

The door bell was repeatedly rung, clearly emphasizing the other party’s impatience. My gut was telling me more problems would appear if I opened that door, but it would be quite rude to just leave them standing there.

 

I prayed everything would go well and opened the door, unsure of what to expect on the other side.

 

“Ah, you’re more handsome in real life…”

 

Standing at the doorstep was a stunning young woman, her long black hair cascading over her shoulders like a waterfall, framing her delicate features. Her piercing blue eyes seemed to sparkle with intelligence and curiosity as she assessed me with a hint of amusement. She wore an elegant dress that accentuated her figure, hinting at her status as a member of the elite.

 

“I’m sorry to intrude,” she continued, her voice soft and melodious, “but I couldn’t resist the opportunity to meet you in person.”

 

The girl warmly smiled, maintaining eye contact with me the whole time. Even though I didn’t know her, the smile she gave me was wholeheartedly genuine and affectionate.

 

“Um, do I know you?”

 

Despite my question that could be seen as rude, the princess-like girl giggled in response. “Hehe, I had a feeling you wouldn’t recognize me.”

 

She then held up her phone, showing me her screen. On it, there was a small avatar of a red-haired woman with crimson eyes that was extremely familiar.

 

“Hi, Zakito,” she continued, determination brimming in her eyes, “I’m Kamori.”

 

“K-Kamori…? What the fuck?!”

 

The girl in front of me was none other than Kamori, the person who I played video games with. I wondered how she was able to find me in real life, but her noble demeanor and expensive-looking clothes alluded to a certain level of resources at her disposal.

 

“I know this might be a bit unexpected,” Kamori said, her smile turning sheepish, “but I felt like I had to meet you in person after our last conversation. I hope you don’t mind.”

 

I stood there, dumbfounded, trying to process the surreal turn of events. Kamori, the enigmatic gamer I knew only through a screen, was now standing on my doorstep, looking every bit as regal as her in-game avatar.

 

“Um, no, not at all,” I finally managed to stammer out, still trying to wrap my head around the situation. “It’s just… surprising, that’s all.”

 

Kamori chuckled. “Fufu, your confused expression is cute.”

 

Her laughter felt like it would make my heart stop. To mask my embarrassment, I opened the door wide and invited her inside.

 

“Well, since you’re here, would you like to come in? I could make us some tea or something.”

 

Kamori’s eyes lit up with genuine delight, and she nodded eagerly. “I would love that.”

 

Once she entered, the two of us headed to the living room. Currently, Shizu and Sakura were still up in my room, only because I made them promise not to come down. If they did come down, I wouldn’t know how to handle the ensuing chaos.

 

As I pondered about what would happen in such a scenario, Kamori’s light voice brought me back to reality.

 

“You may know me by Kamori, but my real name is Kaguya Hinamori,” she stated.

 

It was only fair to reciprocate her actions.

 

“Mm, I understand. My real name is Haru–”

 

“Haruto Renzaki, known online as Zakito. You’re a 16-year-old male student at Sakurazaka High with two childhood friends by your side. Also, your parents are overseas and you secretly really love boba tea. Don’t worry, I know everything about you,” Kaguya smiled, causing a chill to run down my back.

 

Okay, the warning sirens in my head are going off at full blast right now. Even if she was rich and had many connections, there shouldn’t be a plausible answer as to why she knows so much about me. I mean, why would you want to know so much about some random high schooler like me?

 

“Haha, well…”

 

My blood was starting to run cold. Although I should’ve been happy about meeting Kamori in real life, it was rather frightening to see the extent of her power. If someone this powerful had their eyes on me, then would I be able to do anything to resist?

 

As if a greater power had helped me, the sound of frantic stomping could be heard, as two individuals ran down the stairs.

 

“Get away from Haru!”

 

“Haruto, please move away from that thieving cat.”

 

My saviors, Shizu and Sakura, were here to save the day. They were on either side of me, both glaring at Kaguya, as if she were the devil.

 

Kaguya’s expression remained serene despite the sudden tension in the room. “Ah, I see you must be Haruto’s friends. It’s a pleasure to finally meet you both,” she said, her tone polite but tinged with amusement.

 

Shizu and Sakura exchanged wary glances, clearly not buying Kaguya’s friendly facade. “Who are you, and what are you doing here?” Shizu demanded, her protective instincts kicking in.

 

Kaguya’s smile widened, unfazed by their hostility. “As I mentioned to Haruto, my name is Kaguya Hinamori. I’m simply here to have a conversation with him.”

 

Sakura stepped forward, her eyes narrowed. “We don’t know you, and we don’t trust you. Haruto, maybe it’s best if she leaves.”

 

The tension in the room became palpable. As much as I was scared of Kaguya, Kamori was a big part of my life. Refusing a good friend that I’ve known for a long time would be plain rude.

 

With my determination set, I placed my arm in front of Shizu and Sakura, indicating to them that I would take care of the situation.

 

“Okay, Kamor– Kaguya. What did you want to ask me?”

 

Unfortunately, I regretted the words that came out of my mouth as soon as I finished saying the sentence. Not because of the heavy glaring from Shizu and Sakura, but because of the expression Kaguya was making. An expression that was so devoid of light and entirely murky.

 

“Haruto, will you write your signature on this marriage paper? I’d love to get married as soon as possible.”

 

As expected, the entire house erupted into chaos shortly after.

0