Chapter 26 – Princess Quest (3)
34 2 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been a week since Kaguya has become a student at our school. Having been warmly welcomed by everyone, it was safe to say that there were no issues with her school life. As for me, some things have changed in my daily life since her enrollment.

 

Firstly, I gained a new friend, or reunited with an old one you could say. In between classes and during lunch, Kaguya would always come to find me, no matter where I was. At first, I thought it was just a coincidence, but her ability to find me in even the most hidden of spots proved that this was no coincidence.

 

Since she’s a rich heir, it would make sense that her secret bodyguards are keeping a tab on me. You might wonder, how do I know that she has secret bodyguards? Well, I simply asked her.

 

“Hey, do you have hidden bodyguards around the school?”

 

“Sure do! They’re always watching to ensure our safety,” Kaguya nonchalantly replied.

 

“Our?”

 

“I put out a special protection order for you. That means the bodyguards will always watch you and ensure your safety at all times,” She smiled, unphased by my surprise.

 

“Haha, that isn’t creepy at all…”

 

In the end, I accepted the fact that I now had secret bodyguards waiting in the shadows.

 

Another thing that had changed in my day-to-day life was Shizu and Sakura’s habits. Personal space had never been a problem with any of my relationships, but it felt as if the space around me had been cut in half recently. Skinship was at an all-time high for both of them, leaving me to wonder what they were thinking.

 

“Shizu?”

 

“Mm?”

 

“Why are you so close to me?”

 

On our typical walk home, Shizu was acting anything but normal. Her shoulders constantly bumped into mine, and her hand occasionally brushed against my own. Typically, there was some space between us when we walked home side by side, but now there was only a few inches between our shoulders. 

 

“No reason. Just because I want to?” Shizu shyly grinned, tilting her head away from me to hide her delight.

 

I guess it was okay since she was enjoying it so much. It would be wrong of me to rob Shizu of her happiness, whatever it may be.

 

“Hey, Haruto. Were you planning to host a party today?”

 

Out of nowhere, Shizu asked me an odd question.

 

“No, why?”

 

“Take a look at your house,” Shizu pointed ahead.

 

They say seeing is believing, but I was definitely not believing what I was seeing. In the direction that Shizu pointed towards, there were several vehicles and dozens of maids and butlers coming in and out of my house. Judging by the Hinamori logo on the vehicles, it was safe to say that Kaguya was planning something.

 

“Is it reasonable to ask for a normal day in my life?”

 

“Apparently not,” Shizu shrugged.

 

As we walked into my house, each servant bowed to me with respect. The grandeur of my modest home had been transformed into a palace fit for royalty. The walls were adorned with intricate tapestries, and the floors gleamed under the soft glow of crystal chandeliers. It was as if my house had been transported to a different world altogether.

 

In the midst of the bustling activity, Kaguya emerged, her smile radiant as ever.

 

“Welcome home, Haruto!” she exclaimed, gliding towards me with grace.

 

“Kaguya, what’s all this?” I gestured to the lavish surroundings.

 

“I wanted to let you experience how being a wealthy person feels,” she replied, her eyes sparkling with excitement. “Consider it a taste of what’s to come once we’re married.”

 

“M-married?!” I stammered, taken aback by her sudden proclamation.

 

Kaguya waved my astonishment off. “Don’t worry about the little things. For now, come inside and sit down for a meal.”

 

Shizu narrowed her eyes and glared at Kaguya, but the powerful heiress returned the gaze with a mischievous smile. While this was happening, I was too shocked to react after seeing the layout of food in the dining room.

 

The dining table was a masterpiece, adorned with fine china, sparkling silverware, and crystal glasses. The aroma of delectable dishes filled the air, tempting my taste buds with their tantalizing fragrance.

 

There were trays of succulent roast meats, cooked to perfection and glistening with juices. Beside them were platters of fresh seafood, arranged with artistic precision and garnished with herbs and citrus. Colorful salads and vibrant vegetables dotted the table, adding a burst of freshness to the feast.

 

“Don’t be shy, dig in! Everything is made by our experienced and very talented chefs,” Kaguya pridefully puffed her chest out.

 

As instructed, Shizu and I sat down to eat the food. Unsurprisingly, the meal tasted fantastic, as if the food was blessed by the god of cooking himself. Although Shizu wasn’t too happy with Kaguya’s antics, I’m glad I was able to taste food created by professional chefs.

 

“Now, what is your real reason for doing this?” Shizu asked Kaguya, her eyes indicating that only the truth would be accepted.

 

Kaguya chuckled softly, her eyes gleaming with amusement.

 

“Alright, I confess,” she began, her tone playful and light. “The real reason I did all of this was to score some brownie points with Haruto. Nothing more, nothing less. After all, I’m quite far back in the race compared to you and that Sakura girl, aren’t I?”

 

“You’d do something this big and extravagant just so Haruto would like you a little bit more?” Shizu wondered, suspicion evident in her eyes.

 

Kaguya nodded. “Of course. Why should I hold back in a battle where I’m already at a disadvantage? The only logical course of action is to sprint to the finish line.”

 

“Is that so? How smart of you,” Shizu replied.

 

The two girls continued their conversation somewhat amicably, forgetting I was even here. Although, it might’ve been for the better because there was something weighing on my mind.

 

When Kaguya revealed her reason for doing this, her expression tensed for just a moment, before quickly returning to normal. This wasn’t a normal expression anyone could make while trying to create a joyous atmosphere. If that wasn’t enough proof, the fidgeting hands and shaky legs was plenty evidence for me to make a conclusion.

 

Kaguya was lying.

 

Having known her for a long time, it was clear to me that Kaguya had always been bad at lying. Whenever she’d try to hide something, the pitch of her voice would become higher and mistakes would start piling up. This time was no different.

 

I could see through her perfect exterior. Kaguya was struggling with something, but she was refusing to tell us. 

 

“Kaguya,” I began, choosing my words carefully, “is everything alright? You seem a bit off today.”

 

Kaguya’s mask of composure faltered for a brief moment, her eyes betraying a hint of vulnerability before she quickly composed herself once more. “Oh, it’s nothing, Haruto. Just a bit tired after a long day, y’know? It’s nothing you have to worry about.”

 

“Okay, I understand. Please just tell me if you’re having any problems.”

 

Once again, she closed her heart off to me. I could only hope that she would eventually feel comfortable enough to confide in me. At the current moment, all I could do was offer my support and wait for her to open up when she was ready.

 

Little did I know, today’s event was only the beginning and the catalyst for everything that would unfold the following day.

0