Chapter 31 – My Hero
14 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“If you find yourself drowning in the pits of despair, then a true hero will, without fail, come and offer you his hand.”

 

For as long as I could remember, the story of a true hero has always captivated me.

 

During the summers of my childhood, I would travel to the countryside to stay with my grandmother. She was one of those older people who didn’t believe in technology, so there were no televisions or electronics at her house. This meant there was plenty of book reading going on over the summer.

 

Grandma read countless books to me, but my favorite book that left an impression on me was a book by the name of A Hero’s Tale.

 

In that story, there was a boy named Harold, who wanted nothing more than to save the world from the demon king’s tyranny. Eventually, he would become a powerful hero who had the ability to accomplish his goals. Nonetheless, his heart of gold remained the same, no different from before he had obtained power.

 

My favorite part of the book was when Harold went to save the princess of his kingdom who had been kidnapped by a demon general. Before the demons could successfully escape the kingdom, Harold stopped them in their tracks, successfully saving the princess who was experiencing her darkest hour.

 

I was entranced by such a story. 

 

“Shizuku, make sure you’re back before the sun sets. Grandma will get very worried if you take too long.”

 

“Okay, Granny! See you later!”

 

One summer, Haruto’s family decided to go on vacation, so they decided to go to the rural area where my grandma lived. Part of the reason was because I threw a tantrum before leaving my house, causing my parents and Haruto’s parents to work out a solution. The tantrum, embarrassingly enough, was due to the fact that Haruto and I would be separated for the entirety of summer.

 

“What took you so long?”

 

After getting permission from my grandma, I hurried towards the nearest playground, where Haruto was patiently waiting for me.

 

“Hehe, my grandma was making sure I had everything.”

 

“That’s good,” Haruto smirked. “It would be bad if you forgot your dolls.”

 

“Meanie, you know I don’t play with dolls,” I pouted. “Sigh, wanna start playing on the seesaw?”

 

Haruto’s eyes sparkled. “Sure!”

 

On days where there were no specific plans with his family, Haruto came out to play with me at the playground. The time after lunch and before sunset was our time and our time alone. We were able to play our hearts out before leaving to go home.

 

“Haru, can I tell you about the book Granny read to me last night?”

 

Before we had to return, Haruto and I sat on the swings, gently rocking back and forth. Around this time, we usually discussed random topics that came to mind, but today felt slightly different than usual.

 

“Sure. What was it about?” He replied, interested about what book I read this time.

 

One short explanation later, Haruto was caught up to speed.

 

“So, what do you think?”

 

I was curious to know what Haruto thought about the story. He didn’t typically read these types of stories, instead opting to read comics, but Haruto always gave insightful comments to whatever form of media he consumed.

 

“I think it’s impossible for someone perfect like that hero to exist.”

 

At the time, my dreams felt like they had been crushed. However, Haruto continued speaking without paying mind to the tears welling up in my eyes.

 

“…But, I believe anyone can be a hero, even if they’re not strong. Like, maybe not fighting demons or saving princesses, but by being kind, helping others, and standing up for what’s right.”

 

His words surprised me. Haruto didn’t reject my notion of a hero, rather he accepted it with a more realistic view.

 

“Then, will you be my hero?”

 

An innocent question devoid of ulterior motives escaped my mouth. 

 

If it was the present me, then a question like this would be impossible to ask, but the young Shizuku adored the idea of a hero.

 

“If you need help, I’ll be there.”

 

Haruto didn’t explicitly agree, possibly because he didn’t believe in heroes, but the warmth and sincerity from his answer was undeniable. His smile, dyed by the golden rays of light from the setting sun, was an image I could never forget.

 

Even now, I still remember that moment as if it were yesterday.

 

“Zzz… must get… chicken skewer…”

 

Currently, Haru and I were sitting side by side on a train headed to my grandma’s place. After receiving a phone call from my cousin about Grandma falling, I immediately pulled Haru aside and consulted him about visiting.

 

Once our plans were finalized, we decided to take Friday off from school to start traveling via train. The ride was quite long, taking several hours for us to travel from the city to the countryside, which resulted in Haru falling asleep from boredom.

 

His sleeping face made him look so gentle and adorable, a stark contrast from his usual aloof attitude.

 

When he was younger, Haru was such a sweet and innocent child. Nowadays, he’s become much more reserved and mature. Sigh, what a monumental loss to the world.

 

As the train rattled along the tracks, I couldn’t help but reminisce about the summers we spent together as children. Haru’s presence beside me brought back memories of carefree days spent playing at the playground, discussing our dreams, and sharing secrets.

 

Despite the passage of time and the changes we had both undergone, there was still a connection between us, a bond forged in childhood that seemed unbreakable.

 

As the train approached our destination, I gently nudged Haru awake, his sleepy eyes blinking open as he adjusted to his surroundings.

 

“We’re almost there,” I whispered, offering him a reassuring smile.

 

Haru nodded, rubbing the sleep from his eyes before straightening up in his seat.

 

Once the train came to a halt at the station, Haru and I gathered our belongings and made our way to the exit. Stepping off the train, we were greeted by the familiar sights and sounds of the countryside, a stark contrast to the hustle and bustle of the city we had left behind.

 

The station was small and quaint, with a few benches scattered around and a small ticket booth at one end. The air was crisp and fresh, filled with the scent of wildflowers and freshly mown grass.

 

Outside the station, we were greeted by the warm embrace of the afternoon sun, its golden rays casting long shadows across the platform. In the distance, I could see the rolling hills and fields that stretched out as far as the eye could see, bathed in the soft glow of the setting sun.

 

Taking a deep breath, I felt a sense of peace and tranquility wash over me, a feeling of homecoming that I hadn’t realized I had been missing until now.

 

Turning to Haru, I smiled, feeling grateful to have him by my side as we visited my grandmother together.

 

“Ready to go, Haru?” I asked, my voice filled with anticipation for what lay ahead.

 

Haru gently patted my shoulder, a smile playing at the corners of his lips as he looked out at the scenery before us.

 

“Ready whenever you are,” he said, his voice filled with playful affection.

 

Haru began leading the way, as if he perfectly remembered the path to my grandma’s house. His back felt incredibly warm and reliable, causing a whisper containing my true feelings to escape my lips.

 

“I hope we can create some unforgettable memories…”

0