Ch.11 – A Lost Night
789 2 30
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

*Ya~wn…*

As my mind began to stir, I felt a yawn unconsciously fall out my mouth. 

I didn’t have the will to awaken, so I laid asleep in my half conscious state. It was warm and comfortable, and I didn’t want to throw that away. But, contrary to how I felt, I slowly opened up my eyes and brushed off the covers of my bed.

I readjusted to a sitting position and gazed up at the sky.

Outside my window I could see the sun glow it's light just as it does every morning.

“...”

Wait a moment…

Bed…?

Looking downward and around, I confirm that I was laying in my bed back in the dorm.

…Why am I in my room?

Don't tell me I fell asleep during class…!

What a terrible impression I must've made!

And what time is it? 

I can't be late on day two!

Quickly getting out of bed I make a pair of simple clothes and knock on Salia's door. When she finally opens I’m swiftly pulled inside her room. Then, setting me down onto her bed she stands in front of me with her arms folded.

With a face full of worry she asks me a question: "You aren't hiding anything from me, right?"

Hiding things…?

I know I didn't tell her my full past, but it's not like I hid any important details.

"Wh–what do you mean?" I try to ask nonchalantly, not wanting to draw her gaze.

"What do I mean!? When I came back to the dorm the caretaker told me you had passed out during class! She said you were whimpering and crying! I could feel my heart stop!" She yelled, her eyes wetting.

"Now tell me, are you pushing yourself?" she asked, her stare ripping into my own.

Am I pushing myself…? Either way, I should apologize first.

"...Sorry for making you worry," I say, glancing down at my feet.

"I'm not looking for an apology," she says bluntly.

“...”

What do I say…? Yes…? I don’t think that’s true. 

Or maybe it is… 

I...

"I… don't know. I know I should, but I don't," I blurt as my chest tightens, "It was probably just a bad dream."

Don’t look at her. Don’t stare back. Don’t argue.

Peeking upwards, I see Salia still staring at me.

She meets my eyes and I feel myself shrink like butter under the sun.

Why do I never give good answers?

Crouching down, she continues to stare unwaveringly.

After an eternity, she stretches her arms out and pulls me closer. She takes her left hand and rubs… no, she pats me on my head.

She pets me on my head while she hugs me.

"Please tell me things. I trust in you, so you need to trust in me," she spoke, her face hidden from my view.

Slowly I also begin to wrap my arms around her. A moment passes as we sit like that, and it only stops when my stomach begins to growl.

"You haven't eaten anything since yesterday, so let's get you breakfast. Then, I say we take the day off and explore the town," she suggests, lifting me from the bed.

Before we leave, I need to thank her. She's been by my side this whole time, and I need to show her how grateful I am. 

“...”

No, I shouldn't bother her with pointless things. 

***

The school sat in the North Eastern corner of Arikodia, between the general housing in the North and the shops of the East.

And since Salia decided that we’d go shopping, we headed to the Eastside.

Unlike the open school grounds, the commercial district was packed with buildings, alleys, stalls, and customers. Since we arrived in the afternoon, the bustling stream of customers made up the largest percentage of those things.

The streets were clustered with groups of people going this and that way, but the street was large enough where you would have no problem bumping into people as long as you didn't suddenly stop.

The two of us didn’t have to worry about being separated more so because we were holding hands.

Currently we were in an area called The Market. Salia said it is where most of the small stalls were situated. It's also the area closest to the eastern gate.

Aside from The Market, we passed through other areas, which were mostly just split between normal shops and weapon shops.

"That'll be 20 Moens," said the stall owner.

I should probably learn about the currency system of this world, shouldn't I?

Handing over the money –two green coins– Salia grabs our food and turns to me.

"Here, Aza. Be careful since it's hot," she warned, handing me my portion.

"Oh yeah. Make sure not to lose the bowl, as we'll need to return it," she explained.

Holding what was basically a wooden coffee cup, I smell the contents. It smelled kinda like leaves and a hot summer breeze.

“...ant you getting lost.”

Apparently it's some kind of soup, but all I saw was sewage water.

It doesn’t look appetizing at all.

Yet, against my better judgement, I forcibly take a sip of the strange concoction… 

As the hot liquid flows down my throat, I stop walking and close my eyes to ensure I don't throw up. It tasted like autumn leaves mixed with some kind of vegetable. The temperature certainly did it no favors as well.

Opening my eyes I realize my mistake. 

Salia is gone.

Did she forget me?

Or did she not notice me stop?

“...”

Either way, I have two options.

Look for her or wait.

I'm not sure where I heard it, but I remember hearing that when you're lost it's best to stay in one place. Preferably somewhere noticeable such as an interesting landmark.

So backtracking to a fountain we had passed by near the entrance of The Market, I sat down on it's rim and waited.

***

It's probably night by now.

The sun had already set, and I'm still here sitting on this fountain.

I had already tried leaving during the beginning but I somehow ended up back here. I have no clue how it had happened, but it was like I suddenly teleported.

Perhaps my navigational skills are not as good as I thought.

Honestly I should have tried again long before the sun set. I should have left halfway through when I had originally. 

But for some reason people made a stack of coins in front of me and I didn't want to just leave them there on the floor.

But since nobody is looking now I can put them all in my dimensional hole.

*Clink clink clink!*

The coins hit each other as they entered my hand until finally they were all sucked up.

It's been about an hour since the first time I tried to leave, so now I should have no problem getting back.

***

“Hmm…”

Glancing at the walls of the alleyway I'm in, I can't help but notice how clean they are. I would expect the alleys to be filled with trash and stuff but its basically spotless.

It's kind of strange, to be honest.

Should I try navigating the roofs?

But what if I'm seen? 

That would cause a mess, trying to explain myself.

"..."

I hope this is the right way.

Wandering the alleyways, I take a few turns in what I think is the right way and eventually meet a crossroads.

Which way is the right one...

"Maybe I should have tried the roofs."

*Crack*

"Azalia? What are you doing out so late?"

Turning around I see Herem, my eyepatch wearing classmate. 

***

Think I'll try uploading the last day of every month.

1And maybe halfway through each...

30