Ch.14 – A Worrying Night
513 6 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Opening the door to my room, I drop onto my bed. Currently the sun is setting, and the moon is climbing up the sky.

And I haven't seen Salia once.

It's really strange. She not only left me, but also hadn't checked on me after an entire day.

Maybe I made her angry...

I should go apologize.

Immediately after getting on my bed I jump off and leave my room. Then just like before I peek through the keyhole. 

The only difference being that the stalk was closer to my face as to not look as unusual.

Winding through the lock I look around her room and see exactly what I saw before.

A dark room with her laying in bed.

Steeling my mind I copy the lock with my finger and unlock the door.

*Cree~ak*

Taking a step inside, the atmosphere instantly began to change. The inside of the room felt still and cold. The grey walls seemed darker, and the curtains were closed.

Like a cave that light didn't know of.

*Click*

Quietly closing the door I walk over to Salia.

She was breathing slowly.

Quietly.

If the room was of any amount alive, you would think she was just a corpse. Luckily though, she was still alive.

But this situation wasn't normal, nor was it likely healthy.

I tried nudging her and whispering in her ear, but she wouldn't wake. She seemed to be in a sort of sleep.

No, a coma.

Just why did this happen…? 

Was it after we were separated? 

O-or is it because of this we were?

Either way, it’s all my fault.

If only I didn’t…!

"…"

Should I… should I go to the church?

*Knock knock*

Wha—?!

Twisting around, I hear a knock on the door.

Walking over as I rebuild my mind, I open the door and come face to face with Quemilia.

"We need t—"

"N-no, not right now."

*Slam*

…I shouldn't have done that. Slamming doors is rude. I need to apologize.

Opening the door, I peek into the hallway.

She left.

I... I should leave too. It's getting late.

***

Since I had the day off, I decided to explore the city.

The sun was high and dry, and the birds were already singing. 

There has to be some way to help her, right?

As a noble, I spent almost my time either inside or in the yard, without the chance to explore.

Meaning I'm quite nervous to walk around with no supervision. Even on Earth I barely left the house by myself.

Getting ready was simple enough, after I figured out how to correctly put most of my outfit on.

But then it had some doohickey with a ribbon, but I wasn't sure what to do with it.

I never figured it out, so I changed outfits.

Instead, I wore a different outfit which showcased nothing special.

It was a grey pair of pants and shirt, with a lighter shaded grey shawl.

It was much more casual and honestly a much better choice for exploration.

Too bad there weren't any hoodies. Though, there probably aren't any in this world. And even more so in the wardrobe of a young noble girl.

Either way, I made my way to the Eastside.

I didn't have a map, but since I'm great with directions I had no worries of getting lost.

Though, it's a bit hard to remember where to go with this headache.

I'm not sure why, but I had a headache when I woke up. I didn't feel sick other than that, so I'm just hoping it'll go away.

I should focus on my surroundings.

Looking around, I recognize a few of the shops from before, but most of them seemed to be grocery stores. 

None seemed like what I was looking for.

Walking further down the road, the crowds around me slowly turned less from wives and families and more to men and warriors.

I don't really know why. It was such a stark transition between the two groups even though the stores still looked the same. The only difference I could tell was less food in the windows and more tools and armour.

But none of these stores caught my eyes either, so I don't really know what to do.

Hm?

A folding sign? Really? What kind of strange store would advertise themselves when they're in some alleyway?

Or is it that because they're a strange store in an alleyway that they would use a folding sign?

...Someone could steal this sign. 

I could steal it.

"…"

Pushing away a strange thought, I actually read what was on the sign.

"Grand Opening! Buy one get one free!"

The writing was eligible, but there was a problem with the sign's content. It didn't actually say what was being sold.

"…Let's check it out."

I'd rather look at this shop than just wander around any longer.

***

*ring-a-ring!*

Opening the door a bell rings off. 

It was peculiar, this place.

Putting together this bell, that sign and its deal, and the lines of convenience store like cabinets, it was apparent that this place was run by an otherworlder.

It was especially obvious if you looked at the items on the shelves.

Health potions, ration packs, spirit ropes, and firecrackers. None of this stuff existed in this world. 

I think.

Well, rations obviously exist, but these packs said they contained "all the nutrients needed for a single meal," which was definitely not something normal.

But these other things were all things I only had vague guesses of what they did. Health potions were obvious, and the rope is probably similar to escape rope, but firecrackers were strange.

They just seemed…

"…Random."

*Crash!*

What was that…?

Walking towards the noise coming from further in the shop, I see an unconscious person lying next to a broken stool.

…Are they dead?

Dragging the person over to a wall I prop them up. 

This is enough, right?

Wandering through the shop I check out the rest of the stuff being sold.

Then after a few minutes I hear the sound of rustling clothes. Walking over to the person, I see them peek around the corner.

The elf is up.

I’m not sure if it’s just how they dressed or what, but the pointy eared person, who I couldn’t tell was a boy or a girl, was wearing a matching set of striped clothes. 

Like a christmas elf.

"Are you alright, sir?" I ask, hiding my true thoughts.

"…Y-yes, miss. Sorry for er, any inconveniences I may have caused… are you looking for anything in particular? Ah,"

Readjusting their elf hat, the clerk does a double take before rubbing their eyes.

"How'd she find this  place…? Should I tell her…" they muttered, their eyes widened.

"…Am I not allowed to shop?" I ask, holding a health bottle.

"N-no, you may! Come right up, d-dear customer?"

 Following them I lay the two potions down on the wooden countertop.

"T-twenty thousand Moen, p-please," they squeak.

"What about that grand opening deal?"

"Y-yes! Make that ten thousand!" They yelled a bit too loud for my liking.

But anyways, 10K Moens. That would be uh…

That would equate to…

The ehm... bar…

I think…

Luckily that packet of mine had gone over money, so I actually learned how it works.

There were coins and bars. A green coin was ten Moen, a green bar one hundred. A black coin one thousand, a bar ten thousand. 

Of course, there were larger ones. I think those were gold or something. But for the average person the most they'd need are black bars.

Taking a black bar, which was more of a slate, from my pocket, I put it on the counter.

"…"

Silently they put away the bar and handed me the bottles.

I wanted to ask where they got this stuff, or why they looked like they worked in Santa's workshop, but judging from the look on their face they were either extremely annoyed or afraid. 

Either way, they were closed for today.

***

After looking around some more and not finding any shops of interest, I walk back to the school while the sun slowly descends.
Then, right at the gate to the school, was someone waiting for me.

What is he doing here?

Leaning against the wall was Herem, my eye patch wearing classmate.

Approaching me with his arms crossed and his eyes glaring, he looked like he was going to extort me of cash.

"...You haven't told anyone, have you? Things will go badly if anyone, especially Saehl, were to find out about the party."

What…? Who does he think I am? I'm not some loose lipped gossiper.

"No?" I politely reply.

"…I believe you. Good job," he says, softly sighing.

"O…kay…?"

"Anyways, I'll give you a tip: after the test tomorrow, rush back to your maid and protect her. Oh, and don’t let anyone notice." he advised, before walking into the darkness.

"Wha…what?" 

It took a second to understand the words said, but didn't he basically say the 'I plan to attack the school, but I like you' line!?

But no matter how I strained my eyes, he kept walking. I didn't dare look away until he reached beyond my vision.

***

25