#2 – Day Still Young
122 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

<Roi Sato POV>

 

The first few classes went by pretty fast due to teachers just explaining what the first semester is going to look like. After teachers finished explaining, they gave us some free time to just talk which didn’t last too long.

 

Now with it being lunchtime, all the students are spread out all over campus. Some people are in classrooms, the dining hall, the library, outside, pretty much anywhere you could have a seat and chat.

 

The school has some of the best school lunches that I have ever eaten in my entire life. For today we are getting some Italian pasta with a side salad.

 

“Yo,” Alto said walking up to me in the lunch line.

 

“Sup,” I respond as I finish grabbing that last of my lunch.

 

“How’s the first day of school so far?” Alto asks me as we both take a seat at an empty table.

 

“It isn’t bad but we aren’t really doing anything. Which is better than getting swarmed with work,” I said while taking a bite of the pasta.

 

“Agreed,” Akari said while taking a seat next to Alto.

 

“Oh, hey Akari,” Alto said with a smile.

 

“Sup bro,” Akari said while scarfing down his food.

 

“Oh, Alto I have something to ask you,” Akari said with his mouth full of food.

 

“What is it?” Alto responds.

 

“What does it take to get on the basketball team?” Akari asks.

 

“Why do you want to join now? I tried to get you to join last year but you didn’t want to?” Alto asks with curiosity.

 

“I didn’t know at the time that being on the basketball team makes it easier to score with the popular chicks,” Akari said as if he just got a revelation.

 

Alto just started bursting out laughing.

 

“So that’s why you want to join?” Alto asks while wiping a tear from laughing too much.

 

“What’s wrong with that?” Akari asks.

 

“Nothing, don’t worry Akari. We have tryouts after school today anyways, just make sure you can perform and I will put in a good word for you,” Alto responds and then looks over at me.

 

“You want to try out for the team Roi?” Alto asks me.

 

“Nah, basketball is not really my thing,” I respond just after finishing the last bite of my pasta.

 

After talking for a couple more minutes we saw a group of people walk up to us. It was Sakura and her friend group, heading in our direction. If I had to bet money, they were probably coming over here to get something from Alto or ask him about something. The only reason why I think that is because Alto is friends with basically everyone at the school.

 

“Hey Alto,” Sakura said in a calm fashion.

 

“Yo,” Alto responds back.

 

I tilt my head back in order to see everyone in her group. The only reason I’m leaning back is that the group is behind me which means they do not plan on staying for too long.

 

As I look back I make eye contact with Sakura and all she does is give me a smile. I respond back with a small smile and go back to eating my salad.

 

I look up at Akari as the others are still chatting and Akari looks like he is about to piss his pants. He looks all nervous which is pretty wholesome coming from the guy who thinks he can get with any girl.

 

A minute or two pass and it looks like the two are still having a nice chat and during that time Ichiro ended up joining in on the conversation. 

While they were talking I got up from my seat to throw out my food. After throwing the food away I walk back to the table and notice that the group taken up all the seats including the seat I was just in.

 

As I was standing there getting ready to just walk away from the group someone from the group spoke up to me.

 

“Hey Roi,” Yumi Midori said to me.

 

With the school having a social pyramid, Yumi and Sakura’s whole friend group is at the tip and top of that pyramid. I guess it goes with the whole iron sharpens iron concept with each other. But back to why Yumi said my name, we both were partners for a few projects in some of the elective classes. I wouldn’t say we are “Friends” but we are comfortable enough around each other to have a solid conversation.

 

“Hi senpai,” I said while grabbing a chair and bringing it next to her.

 

Both of us just started talking about our summers and also about the different events that the school plans on having this year. The school festival and the winter trip up to the northern parts of Japan are usually the most eventful periods in the school year.

 

When I first met Yumi she was pretty cold to me for some reason. But since we were always forced to work together on projects, she started being nicer to me over time. Now, most people in my situation would constantly bug her to hang out and stuff but since I respect other people’s boundaries and social life, we didn’t do much after those projects. We said the casual hi in the hallways but that was the extent of things. 

 

But after a couple more minutes of chatting, I didn’t even realize all the other people who tried joining in on the other's conversation. I guess since they are the “Cool kids” everyone wants a piece of them. But their dreams probably got cut short because the bell rang, letting everyone know that it is time to head to class and go finish off the rest of the school day.

 

[TIMESKIP]

 

The first day of school officially was over and kids did one of three things. They either stayed a bit longer to chat with friends, go do tryouts for sports which include Akari, or head home. I already know what I’m doing and that is heading home because even though we didn’t do anything on the first day of school, I still get mentally exhausted.

 

I make my way to leave the campus and start my journey back home. The way home is pretty much the exact same as going to school, but the only thing that is different is I always go to the local convenient store to get an egg sandwich because they are what make my day whole. 

 

On the train back home, I actually was able to get a seat to relax for a short distance. All these little wins are what give me optimism for the future, it might sound tacky but applying that view on life is pretty handy.

 

The train arrives at the station and I make my way to the convenience store. I was able to get the last egg sandwich and got a soda to wash it down. I brought it to the cash register and paid for my things then headed back to my house.

 

After a short walk, I make it back home and get changed into my lounge clothes. I sit at the dining room table and start going through my phone to pass the time. 

 

I finish eating my food and decide to take a small beauty nap. Might as well enjoy the sleep before school starts getting crazy. I walk to my room and plop down on my bed and fell asleep within a few seconds of hitting the bed.

 

About three or so hours pass and I am waking from my sleep by getting a phone call from Alto.

 

“Hello?” I answered the phone.

 

“What are you doing right now?” Alto asks me with the sounds of others talking in the background.

 

“Well, I was just sleeping but now that I am awake, nothing. Why?” I ask while walking to the refrigerator to get some water.

 

“A bunch of people from our school is all meeting up and plan on going to some nice karaoke place that Mikoto Tamiko family owns. Ichiro and them said I can invite whoever I want and of course, Akari said he wants to go so I wanted to call and ask you,” Alto said.

 

“Uhhh, sure I guess I’ll go but why are you guys doing it today, the school year just start,” I respond while trying to find some clothes in my closet.

 

“I don’t know to be honest, but it should be a fun time. I’ll go ahead and send you the address so you can meet us there. Cya bro,” Alto said then hung up the phone.

 

I let out a small and finish getting dressed. I click on the maps link that Alto sent me and the place is a little far out but I should get there in about 30 minutes or so. I grab my wallet and phone and make my way out of the place. I can already tell I probably won’t get much sleep tonight.

 

4