Prologue – A miserable God of Fortune
19 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Urgent notification

to: Heidi - God of Fortune ranks 7th

The second expansion pack of Sorcerers of Luminaries will be out in 3 months, since you're the only one who hasn't got any representative human player. you're obliged to assign one before the next expansion is released. otherwise, you'll be disqualified from the competition and immediately demoted to 8th rank

"This is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad" I'm crouching while holding my head after reading that ultimatum on my tablet screen.

Heidi is my name, and I currently reside in the Gods realm.

The Gods realm is just like it always be, they always make humans in a realm to compete against each other about something, ranging from horse race competition to a battle royale where humans have to kill each other. the competition differs in each realm.
the upper Gods, they like to watch those humans compete with each other. and those Gods recently decide to invent this card game called Sorcerers of Luminaries and let humans play it against each other for sports.
and we, the lower Gods. tasked to manage it so those humans could compete with others seriously like their life depended on it and give an amusing show for the upper Gods.

I was supposed to pick someone from the region I'm in charge of, but the problem is. for various reasons, no one seems to be smart enough to be able to pull off being my ambassador of Luminaries player. I only have one shot at this and I can't retract my choice of representative. which is why I had to choose them carefully.

Every other God has its ambassador as soon as the notification is released because most of them have enough human resources for that. even if they didn't. they could ask help from their acquaintance for some divine miracle. which makes most of them already has ambassador as the top player of Luminaries. unlike me here who hasn't even found a suitable candidate.

I don't have the resource, and I don't have many friends as well, so the choice of blessing I could have is very limited. although even if I could procure some great divine miracle from a powerful God, it's no use if the one who receives it cannot even utilize it properly. my hands are really tied now because I'm stuck with these morons. I can't even try to get a candidate from another region- eh wait, but what if I can?

I immediately rush to one of my friend's places and bang on his door.

"Rior! Rior! open up! I need your help!"

"Stop banging the door, I'm coming up!" shout him behind the door.

The door finally opened and comes up this green haired young looking male with some flame-patterned tattoo around his left neck.
this guy Rior here is one of my very few friends, he's an apprentice of the famous upper God Hecate who's proficient in many absurd spells. and he's currently working as her assistant while learning some of the spells himself.

"Rior, I'm about to get demoted! I have to find a candidate for the contest of Luminaries"

"....What? didn't you supposed to appoint a representative like, 2 years ago?"

"Ahh... yeah, about that. it's a long story" I said looking downside

"Sigh, come in. explain inside"

 

After that, I explain everything about how I tried looking for a candidate but none of them seems suitable to be playing a competitive card game, and I don't have a suitable divine miracle to grant. and just now an important announcement just come to me saying I'm about to get demoted if I didn't get any representative soon

"I understand your problem now, but why are you coming to me? it's not like I can help either. "

"Ah yes, about that. if I couldn't get the candidate from my region, I'm thinking of picking one from yours."

"...."

"...."

And now he just silently looked at me in disgust...

"Go home" hush him while he's about to rose up from his chair

"H-hey, hold up! I know what you're thinking okay! I really do. first of all, it's your master territory, not yours. yes. and I know taking away someone from one world to another is an illegal act, I do know that part. but I'm not asking you to help me with a crime okay, this is totally legal! I mean, at least it's within the loophole of things" I frantically explain that I'm not asking for unreasonable things.

I mean, I'm not so unreasonable to ask him to over cross his own master.

"...Fine, I'll hear you out at least. so what is exactly your idea"

"Well, first of all. you learned some inconceivable magic from your master right? and I hear that one of them is one that could recycle a dying soul back into another mortal body. the one that humans called reincarnation"

"Huh? wait, you don't mean?"

"Yes I do, while taking someone from one world to another is prohibited, there's no law stating about only transferring their soul alongside their memories, and if we transfer that soul into a freshly dead body of someone from my region, I'll be allowed to make him my representative since it's practically a citizen there. look. I'll do all the tedious jobs of searching for the candidate and the bodies. the only thing I need you to do is to perform the spell"

Lower Gods like us, are only allowed to perform miracles in the area we have the jurisdiction, so I'm not allowed to interfere with anything that is outside of my region. let alone of another realm. but I remember Rior here has the spell to move a person's soul to another place. if he used the spell on the region he's in charge of, then moved it to the realm where I have authority. Technically I have the right to appoint that guy to be an apostle because even though their soul is from another realm, their current body is inside a vessel that comes from my territory. 

This is the idea that just cross my mind because recently I overheard from other Gods about the humans in some realm are currently crazed in these things called "transported into a fantasy world with monsters and magic", there's no such pop culture in my realm so the idea never occurred to me before, but now that I recall it I just remember that Rior actually said sometimes ago that he learned about spells that could transport a person soul.

"I admit that sounds doable, but are these really allowed?"

"Well, you know how the God realm rules is. everything is allowed unless it's stated otherwise!"

"Oi"

"I-it's gonna be fine, don't worry. besides, I'm sure you're also itching to try some of the magic spell you learned from your master right? to see if it actually works. and just to be on the safe side. we will shut our mouths about this and keep it off record. it's not like any Gods need to report every divine miracle they perform. right? I'm sure everyone doing the same thing behind everyone's back"

"Well, you got a point there"

"And I'll owe you big time okay! I mean, think about it. I'm not gonna say doing this would boost my rank or something. I'm just doing things to prevent my own demotion, and if I get demoted, it would be awfully less chance for me to be able to help you if you ever need my help with something"

"Sigh, fine. I'll help you this time, I will also feel bad if you were demoted. so when you're gonna need the spell?"

"Well, the time limit is 3 months, but it would be nice if we could do it as soon as possible, I'm considerably way behind in the competition after all, how long do you need to prepare the spell anyway?"

"I only need less than a day to prepare it, but it's the transferring process that is tedious and could take like 4- no, 3 days is enough. so after you find both your candidate and vessel, I can start immediately but you need to somehow preserve the vessel for 3 days on your end"

"Ah, I can do that part, don't worry. then give me 2 days to look for a candidate from your territory, we'll start right away after I found my guy"

"Sure"

After that, I hurried off to start my work.

***

Things are actually easy after that, too easy that it scares me.

I remember someone said the other day that there's a craze among humans in his world, a certain web novels genre called isekai. when someone ordinary is transported from one world to another and becomes someone who's overly accomplished. we Gods find it amusing that there are actually lots of humans who are actually into such kinds of stuff. despite how unrealistic the whole thing is. but now I'm glad that it's actually giving me the idea.

So what I do after that, is just trace for those popular web novels, looking for some guy who subscribes to it all at once and actually read them all. to which I found a considerable amount of them. from then I just need to trim out the candidate based on which one of them who have an intellectual looking list of reading, because I need someone who's smart enough to play competitive card games as my representative. which narrows my candidates by a lot of it. and now the last thing to do is survey each of them and find someone who doesn't really live a fulfilling life and seems to be wishing for an isekai life just like the one they love to read.

It doesn't even take the whole day to narrow down the list to just one person, I found this guy Saros a 27 years old guy who worked for an online market company and was being exploited for it. low salary and unreasonable work hours, no girlfriend, and seems to be having a bad relationship with his parents because he blatantly avoids them completely. and his only hobby is reading those isekai web novels. he also seems to live a very unhealthy life as well, eating only fast food and barely enough time to sleep. as if this guy didn't care about his health at all.

"Now this is my guy!" shout me after I found out everything about the guy.

I bet he would be delighted if he's transferred into another world just like his favorite web novels, albeit it's not a fantasy world with adventurers guild and magic like the most he likes to read. but it's still a completely new world regardless. I then quickly moved on to find a vessel for him, which I actually worried about this part.

The thing is, I need a dead corpse, someone young enough that would make Saros content with it. it would be perfect if it was a high schooler. but you didn't find the news of a high schooler's death every day didn't you? and even if I do find one. they would mostly die because of a fatal accident or inherent disease. regenerating lost limbs or completely curing him of the disease is not impossible, but that would certainly raise a question for the surrounding, I would rather not have such a problem. there's also about the vessel's biological parents who are most certainly still around, there's nothing I can do about that except tell him to just feign amnesia or something.

But then when I was searching, I really can't believe the luck I have. I found this family of 3. the mom of the family apparently poisoning her husband and her only son who's about to get into high school, along with herself. I quickly skim their background and apparently the mom fell into depression because her husband got messed up on his job while he's already having such a huge debt, and his useless stupid son is about to attend high school since the mom thinks there's no way they could afford things from then on, she decided to just commit a family suicide. and now they all died in the house due to the poisoning.

I quickly rush to Rior because I now have all the pieces together.

"Rior, I got all of it! the candidates, the vessel, everything is perfect!" shout me excitingly.

"Huh? already? that was quick. you sure everything is in order?" questioned Rior looking somewhat in disbelief

"Yeah, I know! I can't believe my luck either. hey, can you really do this on the first try? the candidate I found is excellent enough, but I don't think I could find a better vessel than this one"

I quickly give him my tablet and show him the data of both my candidate and the vessel. and quickly explain the situation.

Rior of course got amazed at what I got, but then he frowned as if he just realized something.

"Hold on, this candidate of yours is still alive, isn't he? I thought you will bring me a newly dead soul?"

"Eh? but you can just force his soul out when he is still alive right? I thought it would be better that way?"

"I could, yes. and it is indeed better for the soul quality and makes the whole memory perfectly intact this way. but are we going to move his soul just like that? there's nothing illegal about this, but you can't be discussing things with him first about transferring can you? it would be pretty much like we're moving his soul against his will at this point"

He got a point here. after all, since he's not from my territory and Rior doesn't have any authority to interact with the human either. there's no way for us to hold a way of communication with that guy. so asking for legal consent is practically impossible. and at this point, we can only assume that this guy will be on board with us. but honestly, I think the such concern is unnecessary.

"It's true that I couldn't interact with him yet, but it should be fine. I mean look at the data I gave you. this guy living such an unhealthy life like he doesn't care anymore. you can just do the transferring tonight while he's working overtime and everyone will just assume that he's overworked himself to death. and he'll surely be fine with it because he's going to live the isekai life that he always dreams of. and more importantly, the vessel can't wait for more than one day at this point. I doubt I will come across such a perfect vessel if we wait for another chance"

"I guess that's true. we will start tonight then" Rior finally just brush that off.

"Nice! so how does this spell work exactly?"

"If we're doing things like you said, then on his original body side on Midgard, right after I cast my first spell, he'll be as if dropped dead due to overwork. then his body would float in astral space to which I'll cast another spell to guide it into that vessel of yours, along with the spell to preserve his memory from his previous body and spell to align his soul to the new vessel. since it will take time to adjust the soul and the vessel, the vessel side would look as if he's alive in a vegetative state. it would take 3 days to adjust the soul, so it's best if you call a hospital on your vessel side and have him in the ICU. after the soul adjustment is completed. you can finally interact with him"

"Okay, that's easy. but why I can't talk to him during the transfer process? I mean it would be easier for me if I have whole 3 days to discuss things with him about appointing him as my apostle."

"The 3 days is not a transferring process, it's an adjustment. technically the soul already resides within the vessel so you can just appoint him as an apostle by then. but the soul needs time to adjust with the vessel so there won't be any problem in the future. in other words. the soul is currently busy trying to keep itself alive."

"Ah... that makes sense, but from the way you said it, doesn't this spell actually sounds dangerous?"

"It is dangerous, but not as much as you imagine, I'm sure that I don't have to tell you this. but you have to use your authority to keep the vessel alive, so the soul could have something to cling to. otherwise, the whole thing is gonna fail. this spell originally has a low chance to succeed if it doesn't provide support from anyone with authority. which is why it's unpopular spell"

unpopular in the God realm, yes. but apparently, some humans are under the impression that these transporting things are pretty common. I wonder if this is going to be a fad in our realm someday.

"Anyway, I don't think there's anything you need to worry about the spell. I'll start the transfer in a bit. you better call the ambulance for this vessel now. by the time the ambulance arrives, his soul would already in there. so you just need to wait for 3 days after this" he continued on

"Hmm, waiting for 3 days and doing nothing seems like a waste of time. I think I'll just fill out all the procedures of appointing him as my apostle and representative of this card competition. so when he woke up all I need to do is explain the situation and tell him what he should do"

"Well, you do you." shrugs him before he moves away to his room, seems like he's going to start the ritual soon.

"Alright, thanks a bunch Rior. I'm going to call the ambulance now"

"Yeah yeah, just be sure to return this favor someday"

"I will! don't worry"

I then hurried off to set up so there was someone to be around the house and inevitably saw the body of the poisoned family. both of the witnesses and the police are really slow on the uptake in checking whether someone is still alive or not in the house, which considerably delays the ambulance's arrival. Good thing that I was here to provide a miracle to that young boy's body, so even if they're late by hours. He'll still be alive. normally, there's no way the boy will survive considering how crudely they handle the whole thing is. but it's all worked out in the end so I guess it's fine.

Everyone in the hospital ward is flabbergasted when they realize the boy still has a pulse in him, so they hurriedly put them in the ICU with a life support device. After that, I'm sure that everything is in order for him. I then proceed to fill the procedure in appointing him as my apostle and legal representative as a contestant in Luminaries Battle. There are plenty of things to fill in, so it took me almost 2 days to complete the whole legal procedure.

And now everything is done, and he's about to wake up soon. I rehearse my line a few times so I could make the whole thing looks like his favorite isekai novels. that way it will surely make him excited and willing to cooperate with me to participate in the Luminaries Battle.

I'm currently wearing my formal dress as a God waiting for the timer to complete. Rior is actually amazed at how quickly the soul tries to adapt to its new body. he said by his original calculation it should take nearly 4 days for the adjustment, yet this soul only took less than two and a half days to adapt, he said it was most probably because of the quality of both soul and the vessel, Which makes me excited because that means I'm actually winning a jackpot here. I'm waiting in my private hall while staring at the timer.

The timer is up, I then used my miracle to summon him to the room. a blinding flash of light gathers and takes the form of a young boy wearing a hospital gown.

"Rejoice o' my lost lamb! for you are chosen to be a transmigrator to another world. you shall be my representative of this world, and I'll grant your wish, and bestow you with miracles as long as it is still in the balance of things." announce me while spreading out my arms.

Honestly, this is not the thing that I usually do, but I need to give the impression to him that I'm capable to grant him any wish he desires. even though the things I can offer him are considerably limited. so let's just use the thing that he's most familiar with which is welcoming him as a God from another world.

"...."

"...."

He just looking silently at me..., and his expression is neither fright nor excitement. he just stared at me with a serious face as if he was sizing up an enemy.

"Ahem!, I know this is very sudden and things might be confusing to you, but I gotta tell you that this is not a dream. and you certainly die in your previous world so you can't get back in there. Not that you wanted to go back to that life of yours of course. so I'm offering you to live a new life with a special privilege granted by me. Since I know you're a nice enough man to not commit anything criminal, so it's safe to say that you're free to do anything you wanted in this new world" explained to me while smiling haughtily.

the guy still staring at me silently without moving nor breaking any eye contact.

"Uhhhh, Saros? Hello?" I start to ask timidly because he just kept staring at me the whole time.

but then he started to move his mouth and then finally said this as his first word

"Fuck you"

"........Eh?"

1