“The Colour of Dusk in Summer” Snippet Part II
31 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

And welcome to Part II of "The Colour of Dusk in Summer". In this snippet, Lukios and Ba'an try to have themselves a date night away from their kids. They love their kids, of course, but they haven't had time to themselves in forever, and gosh, do they really, really need a break. Happily, Kera is glad to take them on for the evening, but of course, the best laid plans often go awry...

Anyways, the kids are definitely older in this snippet than they were in the first one, though they're still young enough to be bouncing off the walls. If I've done my job right, you'll be able to guess their ages by their behaviour alone...let me know if I've nailed it (or not, haha). Happy reading! =) 

“Kissing is a Dolkoi’ri invention.”

“Probably!” He grinned, leaning forward to catch her mouth with his. When he finally pulled away, they were both panting. “It’s great, isn’t it? I could do this all day.”

“Yes. It is very…pleasant, for a Dolkoi’ri invention.”

Lukios snickered. “Oh come on, sweetheart. We invented all sorts of great things. You love ice cream.” It was true. Ba’an did love ice cream, as well as those delicious sweet buns made with cream filling. She could eat those all day too.

Ba’an would never say it out loud, but sometimes, she thought ice cream was better than sex—but only sometimes.

No, no. She would never say this out loud. It would crush Lukios’ manly ego and he would never recover—and she would never hear the end of it. Ever.

Yes, silence on this matter was best. She only gave him a delicate little sniff, and his grin broadened.

“Hm, you know, now that you mention it—what did K’Avaari do before kissing became a thing?”

“I do not know. It was many generations ago.”

Lukios' smile was still sunny as ever. She reached up to touch the corner of his mouth, a mouth she never tired of, though she would never say this out loud, either. Then he would become truly insufferable.

Lukios kissed her finger before continuing. “It’s funny, isn’t it? Our people have been at each others’ throats for a millennia and somehow, kissing made it into your courtship rituals. Wild!”

Ba’an only lifted an eyebrow. “It was likely some terribly audacious Dolkoi’ri man courting a K’Avaari maiden.”

“A witch. It had to be a terribly audacious Dolkoi’ri man courting a witch. A scary, gorgeous, absolutely seductive—”

“I do not think so, Lukios. She would have killed him. We were fearsome during the Age of Magic.”

“But so worth it.”

“Lukios.”

“What? I bet it was.” He went in for another kiss. “See? It’s great. So worth it.” He leaned in and waggled his eyebrows with a comically suggestive leer. "Wanna know what else is worth it?"

“Hm. I do not know." Ba'an feigned a thoughtful pause. "You will have to show me.”

Snickering, Lukios obliged, pulling her firmly onto his lap. She squeaked in surprise, smacking his shoulder as her arms pinwheeled to keep her balance.

“Lukios!”

“Relax. I’ve got you. Have I ever dropped you, sweetheart? Ever?”

This was true. She wrinkled her nose at him, but he only beamed back; he pulled her flush against him, wrapping her legs around his waist.

Oh. He was…well. Before Ba’an could comment on his…state, he squeezed her buttocks as he ran his other hand up her back and under her head, pulling her against him. His mouth was on her—nipping and nuzzling playfully at first, but getting hotter and hotter as they continued until he was kissing her open-mouthed, urgent and demanding as if he wanted to eat her alive. This was not at all unusual; Lukios was all fire, and she always felt it everywhere, down to her toes. He pulled away so they could both breathe again then resumed pressing hungry kisses against her throat, biting down lightly once he reached the juncture between her neck and shoulder. She shivered, hands wandering over his tunic. He was as broad as he'd always been, muscles still firm as they flexed pleasingly beneath her touch. He groaned softly, grinding her against him.

“Ba’an—”

She tugged at the fabric of his shirt then slipped her hand under it, caressing his skin, wordlessly urging him on. She was getting excited now, enjoying the feel of him through her clothes; she watched Lukios shut his eyes as a shudder ran through him and into her.

Ba’an tilted her head up and put her hands on his cheeks, pulling him down for another open-mouthed kiss.

His patience ran out. Lukios rolled her over onto her back, pushing her heavy skirts up over her hips to expose her thick, woolen stockings. His mouth never left hers as unlaced his own breeches, fingers moving with urgency even as he pressed against her wherever he could—

They heard the door to the kitchen slam open, hitting the wall. Rapid footsteps approached the bedroom.

“Papaaaaaa! Ul’rin hiiiiit meeeeeee! Waaaah!"

“I didn’t! Liar! She’s lying father, she’s lying! I never hit her! Not on purpose!

Ba’an abruptly twisted toward the closed door to their bedroom, hand going over her husband's mouth to push him away even as he grunted in protest. "But—but—Ba'an!"

She tried to wriggle out of his grip. “Lukios,” she hissed, “let go.”

He eased off slowly, reluctant; his hands were still on her thighs and hips, fingers rubbing heat into her skin. “We’re not here,” he muttered desperately, eying the door. “We’re not here. They’re going to go cry at Kera because we’re not here.”

“Lukios. This is ridiculous. They already know we are here.” She pulled her skirts back down, missing the feel of him already as his hands left her for her skirts, straightening them with practiced ease.

As though to emphasize her point, the doorknob rattled rapidly. “Papa! Mamaaaaa! Ul’rin hit meee!” Ana wailed at the door, and they could tell by the way it shook with each word that she was punctuating with her fists. “Papaaaaa! Mamaaaaa!”

Lukios gave a pained groan. “No. We were supposed to have the evening to ourselves. I knew it was a mistake to stay home. I knew it. We’re going down to Turi’s next time, by the gods.”

“Lukios.”

He finally released her with an unhappy whine, sounding like the saddest puppy in the world.

Ba’an paused to look at herself in the mirror, pulling her clothes and hair into some semblance of order. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Lukios do the same with the gloomiest expression he’d had in weeks.

With a gusty little sigh, Lukios said, “Right. Let’s go parent. Again.” He gave her a sideways look. “If Ul’rin hit her, he’s your son for the next week, okay?”

“Do not be ridiculous,” she said, very snidely, but deep down she knew: Ul’rin took after her. It was true. He had Lukios’ audacious wit, but his cold, sulky temper was all hers. Ul’ma would have been very pleased by the resemblance, Ba’an was sure, right before she spanked him silly.

Well, Ba’an would not spank him if she could help it. She was not fond of using the rod. She would not allow Lukios to do so, either.

Lukios opened the door, and Ana fell forward, right into his waiting arms.

“What’s wrong, princess?” He lifted her easily, settling her in the crook of his elbow, forearm beneath her bottom. She was still small enough for him to lift with one arm.

She sniffled and pointed at her brother with more vindictiveness than was likely warranted.

“He hit me with his sling.”

“I did not!” Ul’rin turned to Ba’an beseechingly, amber eyes wide beneath his dark fringe of hair. “I didn’t, Mama, I didn’t! I was practicing and she jumped in front of me. I didn’t even know she was there!”

“Did too!”

“Did not! How would I know? You jumped out of nowhere.”

“You always know!” Ana shrieked. “You’re the one who always goes on and on about your stupid, special, spooky magic!”

“What? I do not! And I don’t know all the time! I wasn’t paying attention to you!”

Ana’s face went even redder. Ba’an could see a blow-up was imminent.

So did Lukios.

“Where’d he get you, princess? Hm? Let’s get you all fixed up, okay?” He rocked her as he cooed at her in his best sweet, soothing tone.

“Mama, it was an accident.” Ba’an held out her arm and Ul’rin scooted right under it, his small arms going halfway around her hips. His fists clung to the fabric of her dress as he glared up at his sister.

“No, he knew, Papa. Ul’rin always knows!”

“I! Do! Not! I was practicing! It’s not my fault if you’re too stupid to stay clear!”

“I AM NOT STUPID!”

Ba’an could feel a headache forming, right between her brows. Lukios took one look at her face and began walking rapidly to her workroom, cooing at Ana very soothingly all the while.

“Of course you’re not stupid, princess. Ul’rin, don’t call your sister names.”

“I didn’t say she was stupid, I said it’s not my fault if she’s stupid.” His tone was distinctly sulky.

Lukios tone grew sharper. “Ul’rin. What did I tell you about wriggling?”

“You said it’s for lawyers.”

“Are you a lawyer?”

“No. But I can grow up to be one.”

“Keep it up and we’ll see if you—”

Beloved.” Ba’an frowned at her man. He was always harder on Ul’rin. She did not know why, but he was. It was not as though Ul’rin was all that much older than Ana; he had come two minutes before her, and even then, just barely.

Lukios sighed, but dropped it. “Ul’rin, apologize to your sister. Even if it was an accident, you did hurt her.”

“But—”

“Ul’rin.”

Ul’rin looked up at Ba’an. “Mama, it’s not fair.”

She suppressed a sigh. “Ul’rin, you must apologize for hurting your sister and calling her stupid. Ana, you must apologize for lying.”

“I didn’t lie, Mama! He’s lying! Ul’rin always knows where everyone is!”

“He does not, ma’vara. He will know if he is focusing on finding people, but not if he is focusing on something else. You must have startled him when you jumped out. It was not wise of you to do so.”

Ana frowned her. “Okay. But I wasn’t lying. I thought he did it on purpose.”

“Very well. You jumped to the wrong conclusion. He did not, Ana. You must apologize for smearing his reputation.”

“Papa,” she whined, but Lukios stood firm.

“You heard your mother. You made a mistake, and Ul’rin did too. Now you both apologize to each other, and we’ll get your booboo all fixed up. Then we can…go out for a walk. It’s a nice night. How’s that?”

“I don’t want to go for a walk. Mama, can you make kakalota?”

“Me too. I want some kaka, too.” Ul’rin looked up at Lukios very quickly, then back at Ba’an. “I can, right, Mama?”

“You may both have some before bed. If you do not wish to go for a walk, perhaps we can read together.”

“Singing. I want to sing with Papa.”

“That is up to your Papa.”

“Sure. Why not. But the two of you have to say sorry still, and then you have to play nice.”

They did, sulkily, but it was better than nothing.

Fortunately, Ul’rin had not actually let the stone loose from his sling when Ana had jumped out to scare him. He had only managed to whack her on the arm, which now had a gloriously purple bruise.

Ba’an was certain it was not fractured. There was very little swelling. She applied a soothing paste and wrapped it, then gave her a piece of rock candy from the jar.

Ul’rin did not like rock candy. This was why she had chosen this treat as a reward for being a brave girl, rather than something else; he would have thought she was playing favorites otherwise.

Abruptly, there was some frantic knocking on the door. Ba’an opened it to find Kera, who was panting as though she had run very hard.

“Kera!” Ana smiled and waved, sucking on her rock candy. Ul’rin only nodded at her mutely before ducking away into the sitting room. Ba’an could hear him rummaging for her old hand drum. He never said so, but he loved music night. He especially liked banging on the drum—no surprise there.

“Oh, thank Creators,” she said, her eyes on the children. “I am sorry Ba’an. I lost track of them. I’m glad they simply came home instead of going somewhere else.”

Ba’an blinked at her. “It is well,” she said, at the same time Lukios said, “How did that happen?”

She turned to glare, but he was immune by now.

“I thought you were going to keep them all night, hm?”

“Farhad.”

“That’s my name, sweetheart.”

Kera blushed. “I am very sorry,” she said again. “I had some laundry out and they were playing in the yard so I—I just stepped out to take it down. When I got back they were gone. I couldn’t find them so I ran back here to make sure they were…well.”

“Oh. Right, can’t keep the laundry waiting, I guess.”

Farhad.” Ba’an turned back to Kera. “It is well. Do you wish to come in and have some kakalota?”

It was not that Ba’an approved of Kera’s behavior. It was that her mistake was done and over with now, and judging by her red face, she was unlikely to make such a mistake again. There did not seem to be a point in humiliating her further with a scolding, especially in front of Ana.

She blushed even harder and shook her head. “Oh, no. I’m—I just wanted to check to make sure. Dul’rin will wonder where I am if I tarry.”

Lukios had a very unimpressed expression on his face when Ba’an closed the door and turned to him. “You’d think she’d be a bit more responsible.”

“There was very little harm done, my love, and Kera was being kind by watching them already.” Ba’an turned to Ana. “Go and wait in the sitting room. I will bring the kaka when it is finished. Do not fight with Ul’rin.”

“Yes, Mama. Papa?”

“You heard her, princess. Off you go.”

Once Ana left to join her brother, Lukios turned to her again with his brows drawn in displeasure.

“Ba’an. We pay her to watch our kids.”

“Today was supposed to be her day off, Lukios.”

“Which is why I was paying her nearly double.”

Ba’an sighed. This was all true. Ba’an knew that Lukios would have dismissed her on the spot if not for the fact that Kera had some knowledge of local herbs. She often helped Ba’an in her garden and knew enough to make simple teas. Her greatest asset, however, was how pluckily determined she was to make sure Ba’an always took her…medicines. At the proper times, and at the proper doses, so Lukios could rest easy.

Ba’an took them all dutifully, though she knew they would make no difference in the end. But it made Lukios feel useful and gave him hope, and she would not take those things away from him. A sudden surge of tenderness engulfed her at thought, and she reached out and touched his hand gently. His expression softened as he curled his fingers around hers. When he spoke again, his tone was gentler.

“You can’t really think it’s okay that she didn’t watch them. What if they’d gotten into some serious trouble?”

Ba’an gave his fingers a squeeze and disentangled her fingers so she could pour water into the pot and set it on the fire.

It was true.

“Perhaps we ought to ask Ariadne next time. I will only call Kera if I need her help in the workroom.”

Lukios shook his head. “You should still have her over every day, just not for the kids.” He stood, walking over to stand next to her at the fire. He stooped to kiss her cheek, putting his hand on the small of her back. “I’ll talk to Ariadne tomorrow and ask if she wants nanny work. You want to tell Kera, or should I?”

Ba’an shook her head. “You do not need to tell her directly, Lukios. She will understand once we stop asking her to mind the children.”

He stifled a laugh. “Ouch. It’s better to be upfront, isn’t it? It’s not like you to be…”

“Indirect?”

He really did laugh this time. “Yeah. You used to talk real hard, sweetheart.”

Ba’an shrugged. “It is too tiring, Lukios.” His expression immediately sobered.

“You want to go lie down? I can make the kaka.”

“I did not mean now.”

“Yeah. But…” He tucked an errant strand of hair behind her ear. “It’s true you seem tired these days. You don’t have to do anything you don’t want to, sweetheart. I don’t think I can get Ariadne in every day, but maybe we can have someone come in when she can’t. It’ll free you up. You can rest more.”

“Asur is a very small town, Lukios.” There were not many who would drop something steady for something unsteady. Kera only came because it was every day, and she was paid well. Finding someone to come whenever needed would be very difficult.

He frowned. “Maybe…You okay with Mela?”

Ba’an's mouth turned down despite herself. “Do not hire Mela.”

“Oh. Okay.” He looked at her curiously. “Was she rude to you?”

Ba’an’s frown deepened. “Lukios.”

“Yeah?”

“It is obvious she enjoys your company too much.”

“Wha—?” He blinked at her, then burst out laughing. “Oh, sweetheart. She’s seventeen.”

“No. She is nearly twenty.” Ba'an stirred the kaka with a little sniff, pretending not to see how Lukios' amused expression had grown. "And unmarried." The girl thought herself too good for the town boys, and Ba'an had caught her cast more than one covetous look in Lukios' direction.

Well, too bad. Ba'an could no longer summon lightning, but she could still slap sense into nearly anyone. The girl could go look elsewhere for a spouse.

“Sweetheart. I’m almost forty now. Wow. Forty.” For a moment he looked surprised by what he’d said. “I can’t believe how old we are.”

“Yes.”

“Aw, is my Ba’an-turtle jealous?”

She turned her head to glare at him. “Do not hire Mela.”

Snickering, he kissed her mouth. “I won’t hire Mela. I won’t even walk in her vicinity. How’s that?”

“Acceptable.”

“Whatever you want, Ba’an,” he cooed, and he leaned in to kiss her again.

“Mama, Pa—Oh ew! Mama, Papa, stop kissing! Ew! Eeeew!

Lukios ignored her and finished kissing Ba’an at a leisurely pace.

“Do not make such faces at us, Ana. It is rude.”

“Mama, you and Papa were kissing. Ew!”

“It is not.”

Lukios chortled, amused. “Princess, you give Papa a kiss every night.”

“Yeah, but that’s different. You were kissing her mouth. Ew!”

“Don’t be a baby, Ana.”

“Shut up, Ul’rin.”

“Hey. You said you’d play nice.”

“Sorry, Papa.”

“Sorry, Father.”

Ba’an sighed and stirred the kakalota.

As I'm sure you've guessed, Ba'an has some serious and chronic health issues due to her time as the Stormcrow. She's pretty ill/depowered during all of "The Colour of Dusk in Summer" (Ba'an's POV) and the semi-sequel, "For the Grief, When It Comes" (Teenage!Ana's POV).

But hey, no worries. None of this is canon now, so no worries AT ALL! =D  

Next week: A snippet from Lukios' POV! =D

1