Book II, The Lion: The Beach Episode, Part II
81 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

2023/07/02: Hiatus update here! Tl;dr: hiatus continues as I slowly dig myself out of IRL responsibilities. My deepest apologies! Please keep an eye out for status updates!

They set off as quickly as possible, aware that the day had already started. Their morning had been slow and lazy, and now the sun was higher in the sky than Lukios had planned. “We should be able to make it,” he’d said, adding, “and if we don’t, we can camp out or find some lodging. Lots of farms around Heliopolis.”

Altus and Eurosanus came, of course, and they seemed much cheerier than they had been all week. Had it been that boring escorting her around? Well, of course it was. Ba’an refused to go to the colosseum on principle, and she had only gone to the circus once. She did like to go to the night market and the agora, especially when there were bards playing, but she was sure it was not very exciting for them—they were city men, after all. They were used to it.

To her surprise, Bethos also came, as did Setanos and another handful of men from the Pride. It was just enough for a full escort, though the chariot only held food and other supplies. Ba’an rode Vul’kir, who had become rowdy with excitement as soon as he realized they were going out. A strifa loved work, and Ba’an was sorry that he had been left to his own devices for all this time. He must have been out of his mind with boredom. Mai’ra, too, was excited, and she had no trouble keeping up, either.

“Wow, that’s really interesting. They move differently from horses, don’t they, Setanos?”

Bethos seemed fascinated by Vul’kir. He was right—strifa did not move like horses. There was more bouncing, though Ba’an was accustomed to it in a way that she was not to horse-riding. Vul’kir also liked to jump and climb things, and she let him canter off the road to hop up and down large rocks and other formations, making happy little strifa-noises as he ran ahead then circled back. Mai’ra pranced around him, joyfully bleating as they played a little game of goat-tag. Everyone seemed very amused by this.

No one else seemed particularly surprised by strifa behavior. It made sense—they all looked old enough to be veterans, and she knew Lukios often did hire ex-soldiers. It was considered prestigious to be a member of the Lion’s Pride, so he usually had his pick. Undoubtedly, they had seen plenty of strifa in action five years ago.

“Don’t go too far ahead, sweetheart.” Lukios was amused as well, but he did seem slightly concerned every time she left the vicinity of the escort. “You never know what’s up ahead—or who. Best to stay close.”

Bethos nodded. “Oh yes, lady Ba’an. Commander’s right, of course. You never know if there’s going to be a brigand desperate enough or stupid enough. All it takes is one lucky hit and that’s it. You’re a woman on a strifa, too, so they might think you’re easy pickings.”

“I will stay in sight, do not fret.” She smiled reassuringly. Of course, Ba’an would know the moment someone entered her range of soul-hearing. She was paying attention. She was nearly impossible to ambush unless she was distracted, but she had a feeling that her passenger would not allow his host to die so ignobly, if at all.

Tik-Tak Ma’luk snorted, catching her thought. Lazy, insufferable child. How you are related to Lu’ravan is a true mystery.

Who is Lu’ravan?

One of your more competent ancestors, ignorant brat. The People have diminished indeed. Worthless, the lot of you.

Won’t you tell me about her?

Oh, so you wish to trade?

No. Never mind. I can live without knowing.

The creature snorted again. Very well. Marinate in your ignorance and see where that leads you, you stupid child. 

She frowned.

“Sweetheart? Something wrong?”

“No. It was only a stray thought.” Lukios pulled up beside her on Aeschylus. The stallion snorted as though cantering down a country road was beneath him—which it likely was. Ba’an reached out and stroked his nose, cooing. Aeschylus was surprisingly docile when she did this, though he did not allow Mai’ra or Vul’kir anywhere near him whenever possible. He was a remarkably bad-tempered horse, and the slaves seemed to avoid him.

“And now you’re charming my nasty horse. See? I told you.”

“All horses enjoy treats and affection, Lukios. This is not special.”

“Tell that to Trachos. Won’t go anywhere near Aeschylus’ stall, ha.”

“He’s got a temper, Commander. That’s for sure.” Neither Altus' tone nor expression changed. The man was as taciturn as a K'Avaari raider. 

“Ha, you’re just not treating him right. Isn’t that so, Aeschylus? You’re actually a softie under all that gruff, aren’t you?” Lukios patted him on the neck and Aeschylus seemed to preen a little. Well, at least he liked his owner. He was remarkably docile for Lukios as well.

Ba’an rolled her eyes. “Do not bite Vul’kir, Aeschylus. I will be very angry with you if you do.” She patted the horse on the snout again and they rode side by side. It was comical; Aeschylus and Lukios were both very big, and Ba’an and Vul’kir were both relatively small. Ba’an, in particular, was a very small woman by Dolkoi’ri standards—even Dafni, at thirteen, was taller already. They were utterly mismatched.

“We can let them run around once we get where we’re going. Not as likely to get ambushed off-road, you know?” Lukios grinned down at her. “Damn, I nearly forgot how gorgeous you are with the sun in your hair.”

Ba’an blushed, glancing around. Oh, they had definitely heard him. Bethos was grinning ear to ear, leaning forward the way he had at the amphitheatre. Was this all just entertainment to him? Insufferable. She did not dare look at Altus or anyone else. Her face would burn to a crisp.

“Lukios,” she muttered, hunching low, “We are in public. They can hear you.”

“You sure? ‘Cause I was thinking maybe I should say it louder. How about—”

“Lukios!”

He laughed. Of course he was only teasing her; he enjoyed tormenting her this way, embarrassing her with his public shows and pronouncements of affection. It seemed that he wanted everyone to know they were together which—well, it was better than hiding her in shame, certainly, but surely it was imprudent until Rekos’ estate was his?

“Hey, Bethos!”

“Yes, Commander?”

“How much for a commission? I think you should write an ode to Ba’an’s hai—”

“You will not!” Mortified, Ba’an glared, though she could not decide who she ought to glare at first. She stared pointedly at Lukios then rotated to face Bethos, who seemed to be doing his best not to fall off his horse laughing.

“Lukios! I told you no poetry! No songs, no poetry!”

“You said I shouldn’t write you poetry. You never said anything about hiring a bard, sweetheart.” The grin only widened as he spoke. Insufferable! 

“Why settle for just her hair? Her eyes are so very striking, aren’t they? And she has very elegant bones, doesn’t she? Even her ankles are very—”

“Bethos." Lukios slowed Aeschylus to canter and turned his head to his bard. Slowly. Bethos slouched in his saddle. "Have you been looking at Ba'an's ankles? And her hair? And her eyes? And her bones?”

“Uh, no, no, no, of course not, Commander. I was only uh…trying to be helpful.”

Setanos began to guffaw and even Altus was chuckling. “Someone’s in for a hiding, eh, Altus?” Bethos glared at their general direction before swinging his head back toward Ba’an, expression suddenly sweet and helpless.

“I wasn’t! I swear, I was only commenting with the…uh…eye of an artist. That’s all, Commander! Lady Ba’an, please tell him!”

With a loud, pointed noise of aggravation, Ba’an spurred Vul’kir ahead, rolling her eyes.

They left Heliopolis behind quickly, and by the time the sun was directly overhead she could only see the statue of Helios standing tall, gleaming in the sun and the spires of the imperial palace atop the highest hill.

They made good time. They took a break at a watering station, sitting in the shade until the full force of the noonday sun had passed.

“If you open and close it too often, sweetheart, the ice'll melt.” Lukios' voice carried, though his tone was still cheerful. Hastily, Ba’an shut the lid of the icebox. It was an incredible invention—the box had multiple layers, with the innermost layer being some kind of thin metal. Then there was ice, then wood, then some kind of fine wooden dust in animal hides with a last layer of fur. All of it was nestled in a final wooden box that was sealed tightly with some kind of resin coating. The ice kept a long time, longer than it would have normally.

Lukios had packed creamy buns and something else he called “ice cream.” It was very mysterious, this “ice cream”; it was kept inside a tightly sealed clay jar and she could not fathom what it was. Ice with cream? Iced cream? Something creamy but icy?

“Oh, ice cream! That stuff is good. You can’t get it outside of a big polis. It’s expensive, too.” Bethos had peeked in the box, too.

“Keep your fingers out, Bethos. That’s for Ba’an.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t ever dare, Commander. I was just saying—It’s real good, lady Ba’an. You’ll like it. Nearly everyone does!”

“Is it sweet?”

Lukios burst out laughing. “Asking the important questions, I see. Yeah, it’s really sweet. This one’s got peaches in it.” He grinned. “You’ll like it, I promise.”

They set off again after a light snack. Before long they turned off into a small dirt road, and then they were riding through tall grasses, the vast blue horizon coming closer and closer, and then—

There was sand, but it was not like the desert at all.

The sand was white with grains so fine that she could not see them from her position behind the bluff. The beach gleamed under the sun as though made of sparkling white gemstones. The sky was endlessly blue, and she could hear the waves rolling in and out, in and out, and the air was filled with the smell of sun and salt.

The grass grew only a few feet into the sand before fading. Overhead, seagulls cawed and circled while in the distance she saw ships sailing toward Helios and the harbour. They were so far away they looked like moving dots, but Helios still gleamed. Ba’an imagined she could see the torch held aloft toward the sun itself, forever stretching up toward their great, silent god himself. 

The men immediately set about setting up a tent, right on the sand. It was close enough to be in easy walking distance to the water, but far enough to avoid getting wet. Outside, they set down rugs, cushions, and towels. After this they gathered large rocks and wood from where the grass and trees grew and built a large, roaring fire close by.

It seemed that the men were relaxed now. It was true that this was a wide-open area—no one would be sneaking up on them. Now they could relax, banter, and eat. The horses were tethered further away so they could graze. Mai’ra and Vul’kir, on the other hand, were given complete freedom. They seemed to be enjoying themselves running along the beach.

“Won’t they get lost?” Bethos looked concerned.

Ba’an shook her head. “Vul’kir will not, and Mai’ra will follow him back.” He was too well-trained to wander far from her in the wild.

Lukios ushered Ba’an into the tent. “Ready to go swimming?” He was grinning, so excited that she thought he might burst.

“Yes. You must teach me.”

He stripped down and rummaged through the luggage to find a sort of loincloth made of smooth fabric. Ba’an was not certain what it was made of, but she could see the weave was fine. It would not become too heavy in the water. He handed her a bundle of the same fabric as well.

Ba’an stripped down as well but paused as she looked at what she held in her hands.

“Lukios.”

“Yes, sweetheart? Need help?”

“Lukios. This is missing parts.”

“It is?” He approached her and inspected the pieces in her hand. “It’s just two pieces, Ba’an. That looks right.”

She stared. One was a breastband. The other was a woman’s loincloth in the shape of a triangle.

That was it.

“Lukios, it is…surely there are pieces missing.”

“Uh…no? That’s…what women swim in, sweetheart.”

“But Lukios…everyone will see me. My belly and my…thighs.”

“Um…I guess. We’re at the beach, though. I mean, some people swim naked.”

“But Lukios, is it not immodest for women to even walk about without a shawl?”

“Oh. Good point. But that’s…everywhere except the beach? It’s a bit odd now that you mention it. No one will care, if you’re worried. Unless…here.”

He picked up his tunic from the hammock and gave it to her. “You can wear this on top if you want. It’ll get a bit heavy in the water, though.”

Ba’an wore the breast band and loincloth, then put the tunic on. It fell just past her mid-thigh, which was not bad.

“Damn,” he said, “I think that looks even better than just the swimming bands.” 

“That is ridiculous, Lukios. I am showing less now, not more.” Not tha she was displeased by his admiration; quite the opposite, in fact. But at least one of them had to exercise some sense. 

“Um, just…something about the length. Your legs just look…damn.” His eyes were predictably glued to her thighs. Ba’an rolled her eyes.

“Lukios.”

“Right, right. Let’s go!”

The rest of the men were busy finishing with the set up. Some of them were sitting at strategic locations, clearly on watch. Others were down by the water with nets, seemingly fishing for dinner. Ba’an watched them with interest until Lukios took her by the hand.

Lukios tugged her down to the water. Ba’an dipped her toe in. The water was not cold, but it was not warm, either. This was what the fire was for—it was a proper bonfire, burning tall and hot. The rugs were placed so that it was not close enough to alight, but not too far so the one using it would not feel the heat. It was very cozy to look at already.

Lukios waded in and held out his hands to her. “It’s not deep here at all. Here.” Ba’an put her hand in his and took a few more steps in, until the water reached her knees, then her thighs. The edges of the tunic became wet and clung to her skin.

He coaxed her deeper into the water. The sand became mud, oozing over her sandals and squishing between her toes. Ba’an had wanted to take her shoes off, but Lukios had shaken his head, saying that there were sometimes sharp surprises in the water. It was sensible, but still, it made her steps heavier.

“Okay, now, the first thing you want to do is practice floating…”

By the time the sun had moved lower, Ba’an was able to float on her front and her back.

“You’re a natural!” Lukios was generous with compliments, and Ba'an could only blush fiercely in response. She did not think it was true—she had had a terrible time fighting the [redacted]—but it was still pleasing to hear him praise her.

“You’re doing really well, lady Ba’an!” Bethos hollered at her from his position on one of the rugs that lay in the shade of the tent. He was strumming on a lyre, having wisely left his kithara back at the estate. The men who had been fishing had caught more than a few things, and they were busy putting their catch in baskets. Then they went back to do it again. The rest of the escort, at least the ones who were not on active watch duty, were playing some kind of dice game. It seemed that they had the rotations all figured out.

“Lukios, why are they still working?”

“They’re on duty, sweetheart.”

“Yes, but why?”

He laughed softly. “I’m not being mean, I promise. You never know what could happen. Getting caught half-naked isn’t a good look.” It was true. They were still armed, even if they were more relaxed than they had been on the road. Even the men playing dice were still armed, sitting in the shade to keep from overheating.

Still, she felt sorry for them. She was having fun with Lukios, but they were working.

Lukios took one look at her expression and shook his head, smiling. “I do give them time off, sweetheart. They get vacation days alongside major holidays. We also have our own physician—well, we used to, I guess Merida’s doing that for now—and they get some other nice perks, too. Don’t fret. There’s a reason why we get a line-up when we go recruiting.”

“Oh. You do not have a physician now?”

Lukios gave her a look. “Don’t even think about it,” he said. “You’re not working as a physician for a bunch of burly mercenaries.”

“Why not?”

“Because you’re going to be too busy enjoying your life and eating sweetbuns?”

Ba’an snorted. “But Lukios, I enjoy physic.”

He made a little noise of consternation. “If you want to set up a practice, that’s—that’s one thing. We can discuss that later. But sweetheart, I don’t want you coming with us when we march. It’s a hard life.” He shook his head again. “It’s not something I want for you, sweetheart. I just—I just want you to be happy. Safe and happy. With me.” He smoothed a hand over her wet hair, tucking an errant strand behind her ear.

“Yes, we must speak on this later, Lukios. I do not wish to lie around in bed eating sweetbuns all day. Well, perhaps I will do it for one day. But no more than that.”

He burst out laughing. “Okay, okay. We’ll discuss it once we get to Synoros.” He pulled her close and kissed her.

“Lukios, I am covered in salt water.”

“Mhm.”

She pulled away, making a face. “You cannot drink salt water. That is what you said.”

He released her with a little chortle. “Okay, okay. I’ll behave. Now, you want to practice kicking?”

They ambled back up to the tent once Ba’an got hungry enough. He took her in and helped her take off his wet, heavy tunic; she towelled off properly and wore her clothes again. When they got back to the fire, he wrung out his tunic and lay it out to dry and rinsed off her sandals and placed them by the fire. He did the same with his. By then there was plenty of seafood.

“What is this?”

“That’s a clam. These are mussels, and that’s a scallop. Oh damn, caught some crabs too, huh? This is a pretty good haul. Hey, Setanos, you ever consider becoming a fisherman?”

Setanos snorted. “Not in this lifetime, Commander. My brothers are fishermen. We’ve more than enough fish between them.”

Lukios laughed. “Who wants dinner?”

Dinner was festive and very delicious. Lukios had also brought butter in the icebox, and plenty of seasoning. They put down a metal grill and soon the shellfish were sizzling, as were the crabs. Some were grilled, but others were put into a pot to make a kind of seafood soup alongside the vegetables they had brought. It was good, and everyone was in surprisingly good spirits. Getting paid for a day at the beach was apparently something they enjoyed, even if they had not been permitted to swim.

Dessert was ice cream—for Ba’an, at least. Any feeling of guilt melted away with the first bite.

Lukios had been watching her face very intently, and he grinned broadly when he saw her eyes widen.

“Lukios, this is—this is very good!” She took a spoonful and fed it to him, which he accepted once, and only once, laughing brightly.

“It’s for you, sweetheart. I’ve had some before.”

She made a face at him. “But I like sharing food with you.”

“Well, if you put it that way.”

They shared the small jar of sweet, creamy ice cream. There were chunks of peaches in it, but otherwise the flavor was that of milk and honey. How it was made was a mystery. Lukios ate whatever she gave him obediently, but then she wondered if he perhaps did not enjoy sweets. He never seemed to buy sweetbuns or sugary treats for himself.

“Lukios?”

“Hm?”

“Do you not like sweets?”

He began to laugh again. “I don’t dislike them, but I’m not—well, I’m okay without them, let’s say.” He grinned. “You’re lucky. They’re all yours.”

“Oh.” Ba’an blinked up at him. “But you like seafood.”

“Yup. All sorts. I like shellfish the best, though. We had lots and lots of shellfish in Eir. I used to go out and catch some in the tidepools and bring them home.” He stared out into the sea and his expression became distant. Ba’an knew he was dwelling in old memories now—sad ones. She slipped her hand into his and leaned against him. Very softly he said, “My ma really loved oysters. I used to go diving sometimes to get some for her.”

In the distance, Mai’ra began bleating. Ba’an and Lukios sat up and looked. She was running along the sand, chasing something very small. Vul’kir was running close behind her, trying to push her away from her very determined rampage against the wildlife.

“Uh oh,” said Lukios, “I think she’s got into a fist fight with a crab, except she doesn’t have fists.”

Ba’an stood up. “Mai’ra! Come here, Mai’ra!” Of course, she did not listen. Sighing with exasperation, Ba’an made to run down the sandy hill to her goat. Lukios put his hand on her arm.

“I’ll get her. Don’t fret.” He ran easily through the sand, whistling at Mai’ra and Vul’kir. Vul’kir came immediately, which was surprising; Ba’an hadn’t realized they got on so well. Mai’ra needed more coaxing, but she did like Lukios quite a lot. She followed him back up, looking behind her only a few times.

Mai’ra trotted up to Ba’an and lay down beside her on the rug, flopping her head into Ba’an’s lap with an expectant bleat. Amused, Ba’an scratched her behind the ears.

Bethos burst out laughing. “She’s like a dog. Sweet gods, I’ve never seen anything like it.”

“Mai’ra is a goat, Bethos.”

“Yes, yes, but she acts like a dog. A very stuck-up dog.”

“Be careful, Bethos,” said Lukios, coming up with Vul’kir. “Ba’an’s protective about her goat-baby. You don’t want to see how upset she can get.” He was smirking, so Ba’an only rolled her eyes.

“She is not a goat-baby. She is a goat. My goat.” Ba’an tilted her head down and cooed, “You are a very good goat, are you not, Mai’ra? Yes, you are!”

Someone behind her began to laugh, only turning into a cough when Ba’an turned to glare. Altus gave her a very innocent look.

“I’m not sure ‘good’ is the word I’d use, sweetheart. But she sure is cute, huh?”

“Yes, she is.” Ba’an slanted him a knowing look. “Do not worry, Lukios. You can be very cute as well. When you are behaving.”

He snickered. “I’m always behaving.”

She gave him a disbelieving look. “We do not have the same definition of ‘behaving.’”

He threw her a comically exaggerated leer, grinning widely as he leaned in closer than was considered appropriate in public. “But you like it.”

Flushing, she put her hand over his face and shoved. Mai’ra sat up in surprise as Lukios tilted over and landed on his back beside her, making exaggerated noises of pain. She seemed alarmed—she began licking him, trying to see where he was injured while bleating sweetly. Well, of course she was. Ba’an sighed.

“He is fine, Mai’ra. He is tricking you.”

Lukios snickered.

“Come here, Mai’ra,” he said, very sweetly. “Who’s a good goat? You are. Aw, that’s right. You’re worried daddy’s got a booboo, aren’t you?”

Altus looked horrified. “Uh, Commander…that is a goat.”

“Yup.”

“…As you say, Commander.” The look he threw at Ba’an clearly said, this is your fault. Fix it!

She gave him a flat stare. There was nothing wrong with speaking to goats. They were intelligent and made very good pets and working animals. K’Avaari strifa were kept as food and labour, but they were often doted on as well. Sometimes they wandered around the outer courtyard of the saa-vuti vur, following individuals they liked and making themselves useful.

Altus’ eyes narrowed. Ba’an continued the stare-down.

Bethos put a hand over his mouth to stifle his snickers.

“Altus, stop flirting with Ba’an.”

“I—wha—? No, of course I wasn’t—I was doing no such thing, Commander.”

Ba’an snorted. “We were glaring at each other, Lukios, not flirting. He does not believe goats are pets.”

“They’re not, lady Ba’an. They’re for sacrificing, milking, or eating. I don’t think you’d find anyone who disagrees with me.”

I disagree with you,” she said, “and I am someone.”

Altus made a pained noise and stopped talking.

Lukios was watching the exchange with a very amused expression as he stroked Mai’ra’s neck and chest. She rolled onto her side and flopped, demanding more pets. Lukios obliged. “You’re not going to win this one, Altus. Trust me.”

“As you say, Commander.”

Bethos broke in, very cheerfully, “Well, clearly, Mai’ra isn’t just any goat. So you’re both right. Mai’ra is a pet goat, but goats who aren’t Mai’ra are not. See? Everyone wins!”

Ba’an and Altus turned their glares on him, though he seemed blithely unaffected.

“Should I write a song about it?”

No.” The answer was instantaneous as three voices answered at once.

“Oh, come on. It’ll be a cute, fun little pastoral. The kids’ll like it.”

“Why did I bring you along again?”

“You wanted me to entertain lady Ba’an during the ride, Commander.”

“Right. Which you didn’t do. So why’d I even bother?”

“Uh…I did! I am! I’m doing my job right now! Lady Ba’an, tell him I am very entertaining, would you please?”

“Bethos is very entertaining, Lukios,” she said, very dutifully, then added, “but tell him he must work on his jokes. His music is beautiful, but his jokes are…not funny.”

“Oh ouch. Lady Ba’an! I already worked so hard on those!”

Lukios chortled. “Give up, Bethos. K’Avaari humor is something else entirely. Trust me, I tried. Everyday, I’m telling you, for five damn months. She laughed once. Once!”

“Because you were not funny, Lukios.”

“See?”

“Oh, so you told her jokes for five months, and she only laughed once? I think I’ll leave that part out of your epic, Commander. That’s just sad and embarrassing.”

“They were funny, I swear. Just…K’Avaari humor! It’s so bizarre.”

“It is not bizarre, Lukios. It is perfectly funny. Your Dolkoi’ri jokes are not. The one about the temple priest and the vestal was especially terrible.”

“Oh, that one! That’s a good one, though! We tell that one all the time, don’t we, Setanos?”

“Oh, ha. There’s a version of it in every polis, I think.”

“You didn’t laugh at that one? Wow. You’re tough, lady Ba’an.” Altus looked stunned by it all somehow. “How about a Sander joke then? I’m dying to know, now.”

Ba’an blinked at him, caught completely off guard. “I—I do not know many jokes, Altus.” She frowned, trying to remember one of Thu’rin’s many quips. He had always enjoyed telling her something in the evenings to make her laugh. Ba’an had tried to laugh sometimes even when they were not very funny, though he had always known when she was pretending.

“Ah, I remember one. Why did the strifa cross the bir-vuti?” Everyone stared at her blankly.

“What is a bir-vuti?” Bethos’ brows had knit together in concentration. “Bir-vuti, bir-vuti…I swear I’ve heard Cousin mention it before but for the life of me, I just can’t…remember what that means.”

“It is a kind of underground cave K’Avaari use.”

“Oh. Okay, I don’t know. Why did the strifa cross the bir-vuti?”

“To get to the other side.”

They stared at her blankly.

“I don’t get it.”

“Me neither.”

“Uh…that’s, uh…not bad at all, sweetheart. It’s very…K’Avaari.”

Ba’an hunched a little, face going hot again as she muttered rebelliously. “Yes, it is funny in K’Avaari, though…Dolkoi’ri is not very…matched to their humor.”

Bethos leaned forward. “Why do you call your people ‘they’? I noticed you do it a lot. You’re still Sander, aren’t you? I mean it’s not like your birthplace disappears once you get your citizenship or anything like that.”

Lukios looked as though he was about to cut in, so Ba’an shook her head, slowly, laying a hand on his arm.

“I have left the K’Avaari, so I am no longer one of the People. I do not have a name chain, and only those with a name chain belong. If I meet with a trader, for instance, I will be treated as an outlander now.”

“…Oh.” Bethos shuffled awkwardly, flushing and glancing at Lukios. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have asked.” She noticed Altus and the others—the ones who had been sitting by the fire, in earshot—glance at each other. She could guess as to what conclusions they were drawing, which was exactly what she wanted.

“Why not? You wished to know. There is no way to know unless you ask. It is well.”

“Uh, still. I shouldn’t have…poked my nose in.”

“It is well.”

“Well, if you’re done asking my wife-to-be awkward and invasive questions, you can start packing up. Sun’s going to dip soon.” Lukios sat up, patting Mai’ra so she stood, then jerking backwards as she shook herself off. “Ack, Mai’ra! You got sand all over me again. Off you go! Go play with Vul’kir. Maybe his good manners’ll rub off on you someday.”

Ba’an was doubtful of this ever happening but held her peace. Instead, she stood and dusted herself off. It had been very sunny when they had sat down for dinner, and she was only wearing her dress. Now the sun was much lower in the sky and clouds had covered its light, throwing the entire area in shade. Shivering, she started folding rugs, but Lukios stopped her.

“You need to get in that tent and get some more clothes on before you freeze. Let’s go.” He guided her away from the bustle. Inside the tent it was quite warm; the sun had heated it like an oven.

“I did not pack more clothes, Lukios.”

“I know. But I did.” He shook out a cloak and wrapped it around her, carefully fastening it with two pins so it stayed closed over her torso. “How’re your toes?”

“They are a little cold, but it is not bad.”

“Uh huh. I bet you’d say that even if they were falling off.”

“I would not.”

“Uh huh. Wait here.”

He ducked out of the tent then returned with their newly-dried sandals and tunic. He took a waterskin and washed her feet, wiping them dry before taking a fresh towel and tearing it into strips.

“Lukios!” Ba’an was appalled. “What are you doing? There was nothing wrong with that towel.”

“I know. I didn’t pack any socks so I’m going to wrap your feet in them. Your toes are cold sweetheart, and we have to ride a few hours. Hm, do you want to ride in the chariot? The food’s mostly gone so there’s space now. It’ll be cozy and warm.”

She shook her head. “No, I will ride beside you. You have already destroyed the towel, Lukios, so I shall use it.”

He laughed at her expression. “It’s just one towel, sweetheart. And we can get it sewn into something else. Don’t scowl so.” He was kneeling, but even so all he had to do was push himself up to reach her face; she had been leaning down to watch him wrap her feet, so he did not have to exert himself to kiss her mouth. “There. That’s a much better look than a scowl.” He grinned and stood up.

“Sit, Lukios. I will wash your feet as well.” Ba’an stood as well and indicated the now-vacant stool. He obeyed readily.

Once they were finished, they packed up the tent as well. By now the sky was looking thunderously dark, and Ba’an could smell rain in the air.

“Uh oh. That doesn’t look good, does it?”

“It will rain soon, Lukios. I do not think we can ride to Heliopolis before it does so.”

He was nodding. “Yeah. We’ll have to knock on a door. There’s a few farms around here. If we’re lucky, they’ll let us bed down in their stable or barn.”

He sent some of the escort ahead to find the nearest farm. It wasn’t long before they returned, and they headed to the closest one that had appeared large enough to house them for the night.

When they arrived, he sent Bethos to ask for guest-rights. “I don’t want to risk them recognizing me,” he said. “Might turn out kind of awkward if they love me or hate me.” Well, that was true.

Bethos returned shortly, grinning in a way that suggested he had been successful. “We can use the stable,” he announced, hefting a small bag as well. “They gave us a snack, too. Awfully nice of them, hm?”

“Good work.” Lukios sounded genuinely pleased. Bethos beamed, happy to hear even a simple word of praise from Lukios. The boy really did look up to him a great deal, Ba’an could tell.

They walked into the stable. There were ten of them in total with horses and the goats, so it was a tight fit. The oxen and horses that had been stabled there looked at them curiously; one of the horses neighed, as though asking them who they thought they were. Aeschylus snorted aggressively, and Lukios pulled him away. “Nope. You’re staying right here with me, my temperamental boy.” He patted him on the snout. “Be good and you get a carrot later. How’s that?”

Aeschylus, Lukios, and Ba’an bedded down in one of the empty stalls. Vul’kir and Mai’ra could not join them, on account of the fact that they did not get along with Aeschylus. They were left in another stall with some of the other horses that they did get along with, and Ba’an could hear the men settle in whatever space was available. It was very tight.

They had brought in the rugs from the chariot and distributed them. Lukios and Ba’an had a very nice one, though she was concerned about fleas. Ba’an focused, vibrating her soul in a way that was very hostile. Perhaps it would scare them into feeding elsewhere.

From two stalls away, a horse neighed and shied away.

Ah. Too much. She sighed and stopped. If any of them touched her she would suck out their souls. That was one way of avoiding an infestation.

Lukios kissed her shoulder. “You okay?” He was whispering very quietly, right into her ear. “I know you hate strong smells. Sorry. Wasn’t counting on bad weather. Damn, that turned fast.”

It was true. They had found shelter just in time; Ba’an could hear the rain coming down, hammering into the roof and ground. They would have been soaked to the bone in seconds had they camped outside.

“I am well.” She paused. “Lukios, there are fleas.”

She felt him shake with silent laughter. Once it died down, he kissed her again, very tenderly. “Yes, sweetheart. They do tend to hang around animals a whole lot. Don’t fret. We’ll go get the delousing treatment for everyone once we return to Heliopolis.”

“Oh. How do you delouse here?”

“We have a kind of powder we bathe with and a special comb. Reeks, but it works.”

“Oh.”

He held her tighter. “Sorry, sweetheart. I know it bothers you.”

“I am well. It is only…I can hear them, so I know they are here.”

He went quiet, stroking her gently in a comforting way. “Want to ask if we can stay in the house?”

She shook her head. “It will be troublesome if you are recognized.”

“I can just send you in with Bethos or Altus.”

She hesitated, then shook her head. “No. I am well.”

“Sweetheart, I’d rather you go over there and sleep.”

She turned so her face was buried in his chest and shook her head. She was being very K’Avaari—their livestock did not have fleas. Pests were strictly controlled in a saa-vuti vur and bir-vuti, but without the use of advanced chemic and magic, the Dolkoi’ri were not so effective at this.

If you are so bothered by them, kill them. They are insects.

Ba’an stifled a sigh. Obviously, she would have already done this from a distance if she could.

Of course you can. I have told you time and time again. Your body is not needed. It is a cage.

Lukios sat up pushed the stall door open. “Bethos.”

“Lukios, stop. I am well.”

“Commander?” He looked between them curiously. Ba’an shook her head at him.

“Take Ba’an up and see if they’ll let her stay in the house.”

“Oh! Right. Of course.”

Ba’an shook her head, sitting up and tugging at his arm. “It is not needed. I will sleep here.”

“I don’t think they’d say no, sweetheart, especially if we paid them.”

“It is not needed. Bethos, we are sorry to have disturbed you. Goodnight.” Bethos looked at Lukios, then at Ba’an, as though confused as to who he ought to obey. “It is well, Bethos. Sleep.”

Lukios nodded and waved his hand.

Bethos lay back down, looking slightly flummoxed.

Lukios was laughing again, very quietly. He shut the door to the stall and lay back down beside her. “I think you’re the Commander now.”

She flushed. “No. I am only…it is not needed. Everyone else is sleeping here, so I will as well.”

“You’re not everyone else, though, Ba’an. You’re my—” he nipped her ear “—sweetheart. So you can sleep up in the house if you want to.”

“I will sleep here with you.”

He nuzzled her again. “Okay. I can’t say I’m not happy about it. Want me to tell you a story? It’ll distract you from the uh…you know.”

“Yes. I wish to hear about the time you went to Istafar.”

“Oh, really? Hm, okay. It’s not very exciting, I’ll warn you now. This was about eight years ago now. Rekos was up and coming as a young general, so he jumped at the chance to go out there and prove himself. Naturally, I was going with him…”

Ba’an listened to him talk, letting his voice soothe her. Interestingly enough, most of the fleas seemed to be attaching themselves to the animals—Mai’ra and Vul’kir were going to need a flea-bath. Immediately. She closed her eyes, letting his voice lull her to sleep as the rain came down on the roof.

Phew!

Historical Note: Ice cream

Spoiler

Ancient people didn't really have ice cream as we know it today, but a surprising number of cookbooks (yes, Roman ones too!) have something for sweetened ice, or a note about ice production. Generally, the method used for chilled desserts was the pot-in-a-pot method, where a smaller pot with the "ice cream" materials were put into a larger one holding ice and salt. I found it so gosh-darned interesting that I describe the process briefly in the next chapter (see spoiler). Unfortunately, the online resource I used seems to have disappeared off the internet, which indicates that I have to learn to archive or download these things. Oh well. Lesson learned! 

Spoiler

There was already a crowd when they arrived. Ba’an could hear banging noises.

What--?

“Move,” said Helen, and the people parted for her, bowing.

At the center were two men with a strange contraption. They had an icebox beside them which had been opened and emptied already. They had a large jar between them, and one was pouring salt into it while the other beat whatever was inside to a pulp.

“Look!” Helen pointed gleefully. “They’re making ice cream!”

What?

Ba’an moved closer, fascinated. They were. The man doing the pounding was sweating already, and soon enough they switched. It was really quite clever—adding salt to the ice would make it colder. It was thickening the cream and sugar mix into the consistency that was needed. Perhaps Dolkoi’ri chemic wasn’t so behind as she had thought.

Helen clapped her hands. “We’re getting ice cream for dessert! Ice cream!” She seemed very happy, as did Daphne.

[collapse]

 And of course the "it" Ba'an is referring to here is the inner pot, not the outer pot, lol. 

[collapse]

Next week: Back to the actual story! See you then! =)

0