Chapter Thirty-two: A Lunch Date
134 8 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Finally, an update! Phew. Please keep in mind that we've now caught up completely with Royal Road, so now the update schedule is once a week on Sundays...probably. I'm often late, so please consider following this story for notifications! 

As always, thanks to everyone who is reading, rating, following, favoriting, and commenting. I really appreciate it! <3!

Update 13/03/2022: Updated this version to bring it in line with the Royal Road version. No major changes--just grammar and cosmetic adjustments. =)

“Well, that was fun.” Lukios still had his arm around her as he guided her out to the streets. “Didn’t think the little shit had it in him. ‘Escort fee’ my ass. What a fucker.” He sighed. “I guess I owe Nikias, huh?”

“Yes.” Ba’an leaned against him briefly so she could whisper. “Lukios. Will you file a counterclaim? I…the accusations against you may be serious. Beating a merchant over an ‘escort fee’ would look very bad. You will look like a violent man who loves money over all things.”

They walked away from the building. Gaios’ guards had started to move with them, but Lukios had shaken his head, telling them they were not needed. Ba’an suspected he did not trust them at all.

For a moment it had looked like a standoff, with the guards only repeating Gaios’ orders over and over again until Lukios’ tone had finally gone sharp, but Nikias had casually called them back in. Surprisingly, they had listened to him.

Hm, perhaps they did not truly work for Gaios.

No matter. They were away now, and Ba’an finally felt she could breathe, the air suddenly lighter and sweeter than it had been.

They walked together down the crowded streets, heads close together. They were dressed a little too well for comfort, but Ba’an did not think anyone would attempt violent theft on Lukios; he was very big, and he moved with more confidence than a man without guards ought to. Thieves did not attack men like Lukios; they preferred easier pickings.

Cutpurses, however…well, Lukios was no fool. She was sure he had his purse well hidden inside his cloak.

Lukios was sighing at what she’d said. “Ba’an. If I file a counterclaim, you’ll be asked to witness again. That’s twice. You’ll be involved as a witness twice. Nik’s one thing. But…this stuff goes to Heliopolis, sweetheart. That’s a whole lotta eyes. You ever think of that?”

“Yes.” She stared at the ground as they walked. Ba’an was not worried for herself—she could disappear if she wished. But Lukios?

Lukios could not simply transform and fly away, and even if she took him with her…

That was no life for a man like Lukios. Not at all.

Ba’an spoke again, quietly. “Lukios. I…do not think Nikias believed me about the strifa.”

He shrugged, the movement rolling from him into her. “Yeah, I didn’t think he’d buy most of it. He’s…well, he’s hard to fool. But the question is, what’s he gonna to do about it?” He looked at her. “Just don’t give him a reason to think it’s anything bigger. You got kicked out and you live alone now. That stuff’s easy to check, and—” He dipped his head down so he could drop his voice lower and still be heard, “—I’m trusting your tribe won’t squeal. Once he sees everything’s just as you say, he’ll get bored and leave it. He won’t dig if it’s boring. He will dig if you’re a bit too interesting.”

He continued, voice still low and quiet, “So be as boring as possible, Ba’an. Act like you were dropped on your head as a child. You won’t be able to shake him at all if he gets a whiff of something juicy, so don’t give him anything.”

She nodded. “Yes. I am…very boring.” And ignorant. She was certain Nikias had been laughing at her, too—on the inside.

Lukios stifled his laugh with his hand. “No, no. Sweetheart, you’re not boring. I’m saying—pretend. Pretend like you’ve got nothing going on behind those big pretty eyes and he’ll get bored and leave.”

“Yes, that is what I said. I am…pretending.” She wasn’t.

When she thought about it, she had done nothing in the past five years except survive, day-to-day, alternating between desperation and apathy. Her desperate days had been filled with the mad scrabble for food, her whole being possessed utterly by thoughts of her next meal as her belly ached; this was not so bad. No, the worst days were when she simply did not care and lay in bed for days, doing nothing. On those days, she had hoped to simply sleep forever, quietly waiting for the growing hunger in her to finish her, once and for all.

She had never bothered learning to read or write Dolkoi’ri. It had never occurred to her. She had not bothered learning their customs at all, except for whatever she had needed to know to trade.

What had they all thought of her? What had they seen? Some raggedy stick of a woman, straggling in from the desert with her wares, dressed in rags with only a sack full of ointments and powders to show them? And her Dolkoi’ri had not been good before Lukios. It had been thickly accented and broken, always spoken with a tinge of anger or disgust.

She must have seemed like some wild animal that had learned to speak. A novelty, both ridiculous and repulsive. When she thought of it this way, it was a wonder anyone had bothered with her at all.

It was a shameful realization, one she would never admit to. Not out loud.

Lukios was trembling with muffled laughter, fooled by her blasé response. “Okay. That’s what you said.” He leaned over and kissed her temple, but she pushed him away.

“We are out in public.” Her face felt hot. Strangely, his affection made her eyes sting, pressed with welling tears.

She would not cry.

If he kept his distance.

Lukios shook his head with a little snort of amusement, but he obeyed as always.

He put his arm around her shoulders, and she felt his mood shift. He glanced around, tugging her closer to the buildings as they walked. “But there is something.” He switched to K’Avaari, and she knew he was serious. “You said he knows you have magic, right? Lots of it?”

“Yes.”

“That is worrying. That is…” Lukios sighed. “He might try to recruit you for something. Especially now, since you are alone with no tribe.”

“I will tell him no.”

“He is an Astros.”

“I do not understand.”

“They’re as bad as Helioses. Nearly as bad. Worse, sometimes.”

Oh. Yes, Ba’an could see this was true. Nikias was a truly conniving, irritating man who was too smug to be tolerable. It was obvious he always got whatever he wanted.

The urge to throttle the man returned, but she tamped it down.

“I will leave before then.”

“…Yeah. That’s a good idea.” Lukios sounded unhappy now, though it was not difficult to guess why.

He did not wish her to go so soon. Ba’an did not wish to leave him, either, but…

Out of sight, out of mind.

Oh, but there was another problem. “Nikias told me to stay longer. He wishes to check my identity with the merchants.”

“Oh, that fucker. I knew it.” He was back to speaking Dolkoi’ri now, too annoyed to focus.

“Yes. He is a…’fucker.’”

Lukios let out another surprised laugh. “Oh fuck. You’re swearing. I’m a bad man. I’m sorry. This is my fault. But holy damn, it’s adorable. Say it again.”

She rolled her eyes. “No. I will not.”

“Aw, Ba’aaaaan…”

“Lukios.” She sighed at him. “He said he will arrest me if I attempt to leave.”

What.” His voice had gone hard, all humour wiped away as though it had never been. “He said what?”

“He said the penalty for lying was whipping—”

“I’ll kick his teeth in. He did not.”

“He did. Is it true? Can I be detained?”

“Fuck, no. He’s bullshitting you. You’re not under investigation, sweetheart. You’re a witness to a crime. He can’t do shit. The lying little cocksucker.

“Lukios. Calm yourself.”

“Sure. After I give him a good—”

“Lukios. You said he is an Astros.”

“And I’m a Helios.”

“Lukios.”

“I knew I should have busted in. Fucker.”

“He was very polite otherwise.” Now why was Ba’an defending Nikias?

…Oh, yes. She did not wish Lukios to thrash him. Then things would become much worse.

“If you say so.”

Ba’an could tell by his tone he was plotting something devious and likely painful for Nikias.

“Lukios. Do not.”

“What?”

“What you are planning. Do not.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“Lukios. Do. Not.

“I’m not.” He coughed quietly. “Yet.”

She tugged his cloak sharply, trying to make her point. He only smiled, and she clicked her tongue at him.

Lukios. You are already in trouble. He is helping you. Do not make it worse.”

“I told him to be nice to you.”

“He was polite, except for the threats.” Veiled and otherwise, the little stit-tat.

“Polite. Except for the—holy fuck, sweetheart. I don’t even—fuck.” Lukios sounded completely at a loss, which was something new. Ba’an savoured the sensation of having rendered him speechless, which was not a feat she had managed in their five months together.

Letting him sputter for the moment, she glanced around.

Ba’an blinked, puzzled. Only now did she notice that they were going in the wrong direction. The crowds were getting thicker, and she moved closer to Lukios to avoid being elbowed. No one ever saw Ba’an; everyone saw Lukios, and gave him a wide berth.

But they were going in the wrong direction. Gaios’ estate was getting further behind them, not closer.

“Lukios? Where are we going?”

“What? Oh. Right.” He beamed down at her. “Thought you might be hungry.”

Her stomach gurgled, right on time.

Ah, yes.

His expression brightened. “Yup. Thought so.” He pulled her against him, and she allowed it, even though they were still in public. “I’m taking you out on a date.”

A date?

She blinked up at him, confused.

…Wasn’t that a kind of palm fruit?


“I think this is the place.” Lukios looked very excited, grinning brightly at her in the late morning sun. Ba’an felt her mouth curve into an answering smile despite herself.

This was not the time for cheer, and yet…

She could not help it. Lukios’ moods were often infectious, and the sight of his smiling face made her heart feel fluttery and full, like he was simply filling her with sunshine. She put her hand in his and he laced their fingers together, squeezing gently.

They had returned to the agora, though they did not enter the market proper. No, they walked down the stoa and approached the building it was attached to. It was a very tall and long building that ran alongside the agora, and Ba’an had never set foot in it before.

“This is an indoor market. I mean, it’s part of the agora, but the vendors here are permanent. You know there are even apartments upstairs?”

“I did not. People live here?”

“Yeah. Upstairs. They do business downstairs. Convenient, right?”

It was, though Ba’an imagined the noise must be immense, even at night. She did not think the agora ever really slept.

They walked along the stoa, and Ba’an noted there was a line of people coming out one of the doorways.

It took her a moment to realize that was where they were going.

“Lukios? There is a line.”

“There sure is! Lunch lines are always long here. Food’s great, or so I hear.”

“But Lukios…” Were they not supposed to stand behind the last man?

“Don’t fret, sweetheart. I was down here earlier, remember?” Lukios was looking for someone; she could tell by the way he was peering up the line.

“Sir! Over here!” A small boy with freckles across his nose was waving very enthusiastically. “I kept your spot for you, just like I said!” His grin was gap-toothed, missing two front-teeth. He could not have been older than eight.

“Great work, kid. Here’re your coppers.” Lukios put some coins into the boy’s hand, and he snatched them up with such a smile that one would think he’d been given a king’s ransom.

“Thank you, sir! Let me know if you want me to do it tomorrow, too! Me an’ my brothers are real good at this stuff! We’re the best, so—hire us again!”

Lukios praised him a second time, and the boy scampered off. They were nearly at the front of the line; there was only one man before them, though he was taking his time choosing his meal.

“Seriously? That’s not fair.” The man behind them was not pleased.

“Why? It’s not like you’ve moved backwards.” Lukios raised an eyebrow at him, and the man shut mouth, though it did not stop him from glaring.

Clever. That had been very clever, though Ba’an felt poorly for the boy. He had been dressed in clothes so old and worn that they had been little more than rags, and his feet had been bare.

No K’Avaari child would have been permitted such ill-kept clothes. They would have been shod. The tribe did not neglect their children, and there was always food in the kitchens. Clothes were stored and distributed as needed.

No one in a tribe went without. Perhaps a gatherer did not receive the best cuts of meat, but they did receive it.

The Dolkoi’ri were very different, being so obsessed with coin. They allowed their children to starve over things such as profit, over shiny bits of metal.

“Sweetheart?” Lukios was looking at her with some concern.

“It is well.” She paused. “The boy did not have shoes.”

Lukios blinked, looking taken aback—again. “Oh. Yeah. He’s…he’s probably an orphan, sweetheart. I mean, there’s usually a bunch of kids hanging out around the agora. They’ll run errands for coin. They’re a bit, uh, feral. Gotta be careful.”

Feral. Yes, hunger could turn even the most stalwart of men into an animal. It could certainly do the same to a child.

“I see,” she said, and he sighed.

“Don’t go around giving them coin, is what I’m saying. Especially since you’re…well, you’re a teeny-tiny Sander woman. You might get mobbed by ‘em. I mean, they’re small, but there’s a lot of them. They’ll shiv you for your purse. I mean it.”

“You gave him many coins.”

“Yeah, I hired him to stand here and keep my spot. That’s different. I mean…don’t go around handing out coins. That never ends well. Never.”

She sighed. “Do not worry, Lukios.” It was pitiful, but such was life in Dolkoi’ri cities. It was not her business, and she would not interfere with their customs, miserable as they were.

He was not the first destitute child she had seen, and he would not be the last; Ba’an never gave away her coin. She had scarcely had enough of it to feed herself.

She was an outlander now, too.

“Okay. Just so we’re clear.” He smoothed her hair away from her forehead, very gently. “Guess I shouldn’t have.”

“No. It is well.” The boy would eat today, at least, though he would not have enough coppers for shoes.

“Hello, fine sir and lady! Your orders?”

Ah. Yes.

Ba’an disliked many Dolkoi’ri things, but their food was not one of them. Their food was outrageously delicious and filling.

Lukios tugged her up toward the counter, and Ba’an took the opportunity to look around.

The walls of the taverna were plastered and painted with bright, eye-catching pictures. The windows were placed high on the wall, shaped into squares and large enough to let the sunlight stream in and light the entirety of the room. There were vases with fresh flowers and the far wall held another painted picture. It was festival scene, with bright colors that made the food stand out.

The counter was made of stone and brick, and it was ingenious. There were holes at the top that allowed a large jar to sit beneath it with the mouth open; there were fires set beneath the counter, and their heat kept the food warm. Right above the fire was a metal grill, and she could see and smell the meat sizzling from the previous order.

There was plenty of counter space at the front, but there was another counter against the wall. This one held bowls and a large bucket of water, where she imagined dirty dishes must be soaked before being taken to wash. There were jugs and cups lined up there as well.

If only the Dolkoi’ri had simply restricted their inventions to food. Everyone would be getting along very happily with full bellies, she was sure.

“Was there anything in particular you wanted to try?” Lukios pointed to the wall behind the counter, which was full of writing. There were pictures as well, but they were more decorative than helpful.

Ba’an shook her head. “I cannot read it. You must do so for me.”

“Okay.” He began to read the menu, explaining it as he went. “They mostly do meat here. Uh, let’s see…they’ve got skewers with bread. You can get beef, chicken, or lamb. There’s—”

“Uh, sorry sir. It’s only chicken today.” The man behind the counter looked very sheepish as he said this. He was a dark-haired man dressed plainly in a long, belted tunic with an apron on top. Sweat glistened on his forehead and upper lip, but he seemed to be in good cheer.

Lukios blinked. “Oh. Out already?”

The man shook his head. His dark curls moved to and fro with the gesture, and Ba’an realized he was Lukios’ age—perhaps younger.

“No, it’s…I swear, it’s those bandits. They’ve been hitting the farms and making off with the livestock. Local meat’s gone scarce, and we were lucky with the chickens.” The man peered at Lukios, and then added, “Guess you just got here, then.”

“Yeah. Yesterday.”

The man shook his head again. “You were lucky. Bunch of caravans got hit last night, too.”

“Wait, really?”

“Yeah.”

“But…Strategos Gaios is here. I saw the barracks. They’re full.”

He nodded. “Yeah. I think he doubled patrols on the roads but…there’s always an opening somewhere, and they’re spread too thin to really watch the farms.”

“Oi,” snapped the man behind them, “you wanna gossip? Go find the town crier. Order something. The rest of us have places to be. We actually work for a living, you—” And then he said something that Ba’an did not understand, but the tone was not at all complimentary.

Lukios turned around, very slowly, and loomed.

“Uh…” The man paled. Had he not realized how big Lukios was?

“Now, now, friends.” The man at the counter leaned out, trying to stop the fight before it started. “Hunger makes a man lose his head, it’s true. Here, have some phouska while you wait! On the house.”

He poured a clear liquid into three clay cups, passing the first one down to the angry man behind them. Then he gave the last two to Lukios, who naturally handed one to her.

She sniffed the contents and wrinkled her nose.

Lukios chuckled. “Don’t like it?”

“It smells sour.”

“It is. It’s phouska.” He grinned and sipped his. “Huh. Pretty good. Not too sour, not too sweet.”

The man behind the counter grinned. “My wife’s work. She’ll be pleased to hear it. Your order? Or do you need more time?”

“Oh. Uh…” Lukios glanced at the menu. “We’ll take everything from there to there. Chicken’s fine, I guess.”

“Oh. Everything—? Sure. Sure. Just…it’ll be a minute.” He went to the doorway beside the furthermost counter and hollered for more meat. A woman’s voice answered, and then a young girl’s. The man had an open tablet on the counter as well, and he inscribed something into the wax. “Why don’t you take a seat? I’ll call you up when it’s done.”

Lukios put his arm around her waist and led her to a table in the corner. It was much smaller than the table at Gaios’ estate, and she did not know if it would hold all their food. The seats were three-legged stools.

They sat, and she finally took a sip of her drink.

Oh, it was sour. Very, very sour.

Wordlessly, she handed her cup to Lukios, who only laughed and drained it.

“Too sour?”

“Yes. It is like drinking...I do not know the word. Sour wine? No. Similar.”

“Vinegar?”

“If it is like sour wine, yes.”

Lukios only grinned at her. “That’s real close.” He finished what was in his cup and set it aside. “Only soldiers and slaves drink this stuff.”

“What?”

“Well, soldiers, slaves, and people who can’t afford wine, ha. It’s got kick, but doesn’t get you drunk. Keeps better than water, too.”

“Oh.”

He laughed again. “Don’t fret, sweetheart. It’s an acquired taste.”

“But they are serving it here.”

“Yeah. Lots of soldiers in Kyros. Fort city, remember?”

“Oh.” And the man at the counter had read Lukios correctly, too.

“Lukios.”

“Hm?”

“Are they the same bandits?”

“Yup. They sure are. It’s only been five months and it sounds like no one’s mopped up.” He sounded remarkably calm. Ba’an did not feel the same. She had not cared five months ago, but when she thought of it now, thought of how Lukios had limped to sit by the dying horse, bleeding the whole way…

It was upsetting. Deeply upsetting.

Why had Gaios not done anything? He had soldiers. Many of them. Why had he come to Kyros, if not to solve this problem with bandits?

And it was not only the banditry. They had Eirenne with them. Why had he not rescued her? They were all Dolkoi’ri citizens. Did that mean nothing?

Ba’an thought back to the map on Nikias’ wall. The old fort had been circled, and she thought she knew why. But Lukios would know for sure, would he not?

“Are there any forts other than Kyros? Before entering the desert.”

“Nope. Temporary ones were all dismantled a while back. There’s only one more out by Red Stride Canyon.”

She nodded. Yes, she had thought as much.

Where else would a band of brigands go to roost? Particularly a band of brigands who had been soldiers? It was obvious when she thought about it. Ba’an did not care for Dolkoi’ri problems, but she had trod the road to Kyros often enough, and she had flown the desert skies surrounding her not-vuti many times.

Banditry had risen. It was natural after a war, but this trend had persisted even through the new period of peace. They had swarmed over the countryside like locusts, and Ba’an had killed many herself while on the road. They often saw a lone K’Avaari woman as easy pickings.

And where had they all come from?

The army, of course. Deserters.

They hadn’t gone anywhere. They’d stayed inside the empire as bandits, evading capture and crucifixion by preying on farmers and travellers alike—especially lone travellers.

Well, Ba’an had made certain that none of them had had the time to truly regret their decision. Many had died without the opportunity to scream.

Pathetic maggots.

“Nikias had a map on his wall. He had a fort circled. The one in the desert.”

Lukios nodded. “Yup. That’s their hidey-hole. Gaios and Nik already know where they are, but they won’t go marching up there.”

“Why? Eirenne is there, is she not?”

“Sweetheart. That’s K’Avaari territory.”

She felt her brow furrow. It was true that had been K’Avaari territory once upon a time, but now?

“But…it was taken by your people decades ago.”

Lukios gave her an odd look. “You really don’t know?”

She sighed at him. “Lukios. I do not.”

“Uh. Okay. Well, we gave that bit back this time around. Peace treaty.”

Ba’an felt her mouth hang open. What?

“Oh. You really didn’t know. Yeah, it’s not Illosian territory anymore. We gave that back.” He hesitated, a frown touching his brow. “Sweetheart…how much do you remember? About the uh…Dolko’ri-anta?”

“The early battles. And then…” She shook her head.

“Nothing?”

“I…remember nothing after…the mountain.” She remembered Thu’rin’s dead face, Enha-naus-hasa-en’s screams of rage filling her head as she jumped from the rock cliff and flew into battle. Ba’an had let herself sleep in Enha-naus-hasa-en’s terrible anger, forgetting everything but a single purpose: Kill the Dolkoi’ri. Until they stopped—or she did.

After that there had only been screams and the smell of burning meat. Fire. Rain. Men crying out for their mothers—and souls. The music of souls becoming screams, as she tore them from their bodies and devoured them to power her fury.

Ba’an had forgotten her own name until she had woken up one day in a vuti, guarded by frightened children with spears. She had not been bound, because they had been too afraid to approach her.

She had stayed between those walls until her trial. No one had spoken to her. It had been forbidden.

But she had heard the low-folk praying.

“Uh…sweetheart?”

Ba’an came back to herself abruptly, realizing that she was shaking her head with far too much force. She stopped.

“Okay. Never mind. It’s all over and done, anyway, so who cares?” He cleared his throat, taking her hand in his and giving it a reassuring squeeze. “They can’t go up there ‘cause that’ll break the treaty. It’d send the wrong message, having soldiers march up into the desert again.”

“But…surely Vala-Tu’rin…”

Now it was Lukios shaking his head. “Nope. They won’t risk any K’Avaari lives by sending hunters over. Not for a bunch of outlander bandits. They’re not stupid enough to bother any K’Avaari tribesmen, you know? So they’ve just been coming down here and hitting fast and hard, then right back up again into their hidey-hole. Fuckers.”

Ah.

Ba’an sighed. “So it cannot be helped.”

“Oh, I dare say it can.” He was grinning again. “It’s actually real simple, but you gotta be willing to take some risks.”

“It is?”

“Yeah. It sure is.”

“I do not understand.”

“They had a whole list of demands, didn’t they? They’ve been hitting farms, sweetheart. Farms and food caravans. They’re hungry up there. That’s easy to exploit.”

“Lukios. You have thought of this.”

“Yup. All morning.”

“But it is not your responsibility. Surely not.” He had nearly died. Twice.

His expression grew serious. “It is. I was charged with getting Eirenne safely to Heliopolis. I failed. That makes it my business.”

“But…”

He shook his head. “No. No buts about it. I have to get her out and take her up to Heliopolis. I don’t know if Noros’ll take her still, but…I have to get her there. That was the deal.”

“But you are only one man. There are many bandits.”

“I only need maybe five other guys. Eight if we can manage but that’d be pushing our luck.”

“Lukios?” Ba’an felt a trill of alarm. Was he mad? Five other men to take a fortress full of killers?

“That’s my name,” he said, very cheerfully.

“You cannot be serious. Five men? Eight if you can manage? That is a fort full of…I am sure they are deserters, Lukios. Trained men.” One of them had even been good enough to stab Lukios in the gut.

“They sure are. And that makes it even easier. Army habits die hard. Easy to guess how they’ve got their watch set up. Everything else, too. Easy-peasy.”

“Lukios. This is…this is ill-advised. Surely Gaios can—”

“He can’t. Because if he could have, he would have. He’s had five months, sweetheart, and Gaios works fast. He’s not the sort of guy to sit around and twiddle his thumbs, and he hates it up here. He’d have gotten it done fast and gone home already. No, his hands are tied. But me? I’m a dead man. I can do whatever the fuck I want.”

“But—Lukios—that is—this is—”

“Table thirteen! Order’s ready!”

“That’s us! Hang tight, Ba’an. I’ll be right back.” He winked, then stood up to get their food. Ba’an sat stock still in her seat, shocked by what he had said.

Five men? Eight if he could manage?

What?

Was he insane?

…Well, of course he was.

Ba’an squeezed the bridge of her nose with her fingers.

No. There had to be a better solution. Perhaps he could simply pay the ransom instead? That had been the problem, had it not? No one was willing to pay the ransom. If he paid it, he could free Eirenne without risking his life. Again.

He returned with two steaming platters. “There’s more, but we’ll pick them up after these. Don’t worry, he’s got everything on the warmer.”

“Yes. Thank you. Lukios, you must reconsider.”

“The skewers?”

No. Your…plan. You must reconsider. It is very dangerous and…I will be gone soon, Lukios. I will not be there to…fix you. It is simpler to pay the ransom, is it not?”

“Uh…not really.”

“But…it is only money. Things. It is better than risking your life.”

Lukios’ expression was difficult to place. Ba’an hated it when he did this—how he somehow closed himself up so she could no longer read him.

Slowly, he shook his head. “No. That’s not simpler.”

“But—”

“Don’t fret, sweetheart. It’ll be fine. We’ll get your shopping done and you can go back home. I’ll be by in two months to see you. See? Easy.”

“No. Lukios, do not treat me like an idiot.”

“What? I’m not. It’s just—you don’t have to worry about it. It’s not your problem and it’ll work out fine, so why get any gray hairs over it? You don’t have to think about it. It’s fine.”

“It is not so simple.”

He sighed. “There you go again, complicating. It is.”

“Explain.”

“Ba’an. Sweetheart, it’s…”

“Lukios. You are hiding something. I do not like it.”

He sighed again, much more gustily. “The accusations, sweetheart. They’re not really about kidnapping. I mean, I’m dead, so that’d be pretty silly. No, it’s a whole lot worse and a lot more practical.”

“I do not understand.”

“Ba’an. Eirenne’s pregnant.”

“Because of the bandits. They have inflicted utani. It is what bandits do.”

“Most likely, yeah. But Ba’an, that’s not what people are saying.”

Very suddenly, she remembered what Nikias had said: If he has a woman already, other accusations will appear less…credible.

Oh no.

“But…” Ba’an’s eyes had gone very wide, a reaction utterly outside her control.

“It’s not true,” he said, looking completely exasperated. “Okay, fine, we were friendly, but the only touching that happened was, uh…well, we rubbed elbows once when we passed each other in the hallway. It was narrow. I’m pretty sure that’s not how babies are made.”

“So…it is Eirenne’s family?”

“You wouldn’t be surprised at all if you’d met her ma. Because this has ‘Klea’ written all over it.”

“For your money?”

“Eh. That’s part of it. Probably wants to prick House Helios into action, mostly. Getting all my stuff would be a nice bonus too, especially since…well, I don’t think she can get married now. Not to a proper Helios. So. You know. Practical considerations.”

“But…it is a lie. It is not true. The child is not yours, so they have no claim to…to…”

“Since when do people care about ‘true’?” He shook his head. “Paying a ransom is what family does. Your da, or your husband. I’m neither, and I don’t want to be. No thanks.”

“But…there is no proof, and…surely…?”

“Nope. Gives the wrong idea. That and I’m dead, remember? I don’t even have Synoros back yet, and I don’t have collateral for a loan that big. Enough for lawyers? Sure. Not enough for that much ransom.” His mouth twisted. “And I’m not asking Danaë for money. Fuck no.”

“Who?”

“Rekos’ wife, sweetheart. Back in Heliopolis.” He scrubbed his hand over his face. “Fuck. I have to go see her and the girls. Helena needs to get married and Dafni's not too far behind her. You know, duties. ‘Cause I’m his only son, adoptee that I am.”

Oh. But...

Had Lukios not said Rekos had been his uncle?

No, no. She was misremembering it. Their journey to the road had been some time ago.

“But surely it is better than…risking your life.” This was the most important thing, now.

He gave a helpless little laugh. “You say that ‘cause you haven’t met Danaë . I’ll take the bandits, ha.”

Ba’an frowned at him. “I do not think I am the one with a poor sense for danger, Lukios.”

He burst out laughing. “Oh, I walked into that one. But really, sweetheart. I’m not an idiot, either. I haven’t worked it all out yet, but I’ll get there. It won’t be that bad.” He grinned at her. “You can’t marry a corpse, right?”

Ba’an sputtered at the sudden change. “I—I have not…decided.”

“Right. But you can’t decide at all if I die. So I won’t. I’ll see you in two months once Eirenne’s safe and sound in Heliopolis and I’ve done right by Danaë and the girls. After that—Synoros! Never to deal with this shit again. Ever. Phew!”

She continued frowning. No, this was not that simple. It was not simple at all.

“Then I will stay.”

“Wait, what?”

“Here. In Kyros.”

“Uh. Not that I’m not happy, but…you’re definitely plotting something. Out with it.”

“To help you, Lukios.” She dropped her voice to a whisper and said, in K’Avaari, “No one will notice a few crows.”

“No.”

“Why not?”

“No. Absolutely not.”

Why not?”

“It’s dangerous. Way too dangerous. I don’t just mean the bandits, but sweetheart, if I raid, I’ll do it with veterans, and by now they all hate…” He dropped his voice to a whisper, hunching over the table and leaning over to her, as close as he could. “…Crows. No. No. It’s way too risky, and if they see you? Fuck. No. No way.”

He was shaking his head emphatically. “No. No. And even if I was taking greenhorns, I’m not letting you wander into a fort full of bandits. It’s indoors. It’s tight. No. End of discussion.”

“I do not need your permission.”

“What in the fuck—Okay, fine. You don’t need my permission, but you’re not coming with me, that’s for damn sure.” He scowled at her. “Shit, I should’ve kept my damn mouth shut.”

“Lukios.”

No.

“Lukios.”

“End of discussion.”

Lukios.

“Your skewer’s getting cold.”

She sighed at him. “I will not be seen.”

“You gonna eat?”

“Lukios.”

“This discussion’s done. No.”

“But I am not finished.”

“I am! Time to eat and not do silly things like raid a bandit fort. Hey, try this bit. It’s good. Spicy, right?”

“I am worried for you.”

He sighed. “Sweetheart. I know. But you have to think this through. It’s way too risky for you to…you know. Not here. And I gotta say, I’m a bit offended.”

“I do not understand.”

“I’m not an idiot, Ba’an. And I don’t aim on dying. Can’t you just believe me when I say it’ll go fine?”

“I believe you believe it will…’go fine.’”

“Oh come on. Not that crap again.”

“It is not.”

“It is. Remember that time you said, ‘I believe you mean what you say’? You should, ‘cause that was…yesterday.

She sighed again. “It is not the same.”

“Sort of is. Is this a witch thing? It’s a witch thing, isn’t it?”

“It is not.”

“It so is.” He leaned over the table so that he was nearly nose-to-nose with her. “It so, so is. Ba’an. Sweetheart. My sweet, beautiful, wonderful, perfect little Ba’an-turtle.”

She eyed him warily. “Say what you mean, Lukios.”

“I always do. My sweet, beautiful, wonderful, perfect little Ba’an-turtle, I adore you. But it drives me perfectly insane when you say, ‘I believe you believe'…whatever it is I believe.”

“But Lukios…”

“Yes, my sweet, beautiful, wonderful, perfect little Ba’an-turtle?”

“I am worried.”

His gaze softened, and he kissed the tip of her nose. She turned her face to sneeze, and Lukios laughed, very softly.

“Sweetheart, I won’t die. I won’t even get stabbed, not even a little. I mean, I haven’t figured the whole thing out yet, but if it seems too risky, I’ll think up something else. There. How’s that?”

She only stared up at him, trying to impress upon him how deeply concerning it all was with only her eyes.

“Aw, sweetheart. Ugh, stop. Stop. Ah, gods help me. I’ll think of something smart, I promise, I promise! Would you stop--? Ahhhhhhh, I lose, I lose. No one is raiding a fort. For now. Happy?”

For now? She frowned at him. “No.”

“Aw, Ba’an. I promise I won’t die or get stabbed. We still have to get married.”

“I have not decided.”

“Sure, sure. Take your time. But we still need to get married.”

“Ugh. Lukios.”

“Yeeeees, my Ba’an-turtle?”

She rolled her eyes, exasperated but strangely pleased. “I do not doubt you, Lukios, but there is no guarantee in battle. A poorer warrior may slay a greater one if the wind shifts. It is treacherous. That is why…I will stay.”

He shook his head. “You can stay as long as you want, sweetheart. I mean, we can stay at an inn if you want, too. Honestly, I think we should’ve. Hey, we can even go to Heliopolis together! Wouldn’t that be fun? But you don’t have to stay for…that. And you’re not coming. No way.”

She sighed. “But—”

He shook his head. “Sorry, sweetheart. Not budging.” He cut a piece of chicken from his own plate and dipped it in the little bowl of bright orange sauce beside it. “Here, try this. It’s really good!”

She obediently opened her mouth and took the morsel, giving him a look. He only beamed at her, and put more meat on her plate.

“Oh, try this one. It’s…uh, well, it’s all chicken, but this sauce is made from salty brine, all the way from—” He continued talking cheerfully, extolling the virtues of the different kinds of sauces.

They ate, Ba’an letting it go—for now. Lukios was a madman. This much was clear; she feared he would go raiding, with only a handful of men.

And if he did not?

She had no doubt he would concoct an even madder plan.

No, no. She could not leave now. She—well, why not? Why not stay longer? This way Nikias would believe she had nothing to hide, and she could…she could ensure everything went well.

She could ensure Lukios did not get stabbed again. Anywhere.

And if he did?

She could stitch him back together—if she was here. With Lukios.

She would stay.

Just a little longer.

Just a little.

Culture Notes

Phouska: 

Spoiler

This is actually the Byzantine term for a Roman drink, posca. The Romans invented it, and the Byzantines adopted it, so I guess you could say it had some staying power! Posca is basically flavoured wine vinegar that was rationed out to soldiers. There are a few recipes for it floating around the 'web, but check out this article for two (technically three) of them. If you want to skip the history, you can scroll down to the end.

Keep in mind, I can't comment on the taste, as I've never tried it! (Vinegar gets a hard no from me, sorry, haha!) I also cannot vouch for the safety of any of these recipes, so the commonsense rule for safe usage of the internet applies: don't do it unless you're willing to risk it! (As a Canadian, though, I have to say the writer's recommendation that you swap out honey for maple syrup is inspired. Yes. More. Maple. Syrup! <-- I put this in my coffee. Seriously. So. Good.)

[collapse]

Indoor Shopping: 

Spoiler

This is based on Trajan's Market, which was essentially an indoor shopping mall. I've combined this with the concept of insulae, which were Roman apartment buildings for plebians. They often had shops on the main floor (generically called taberna), including restaurants. I believe fast-food type joints (with take-out, but no sit-in) were referred to as thermopolium*. (Caveat: There were lots of names everywhere. Everywhere. Modern archaeologists call them thermopolium, as stated in the Wikipedia entry. I assume that's right!)

*This seems to have been joints with hot-food counters. I have also seen restaurants referred to as taberna, so this is probably a whole lot more archaeologically complicated than I can comprehend. Google away!

Anyway, Kyros! A shithole, but a shithole with fast food restaurants and shopping malls. Because that's what people do! 

(Just be happy I didn't add the detail of public urinary pots. On the streets. That stuff went the the launderers, and I don't mean drug cartels. Literal laundries. How to get your whites white? 

Pee. Use lots of pee. Yup. There was even a pee tax.

Also: pee as mouthwash. Yup-yup.

...Ugh.)

[collapse]

4