V1 Rewrite. Ch 5. The first thing to do after reincarnation in a fantasy world
1k 3 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

For the following 3 days I was resting.

Elina and Albert, that bastard who called me ‘child’, took care of me.

They were part of the group called ‘Rogues’. Half of which I saw killed by ‘demon hounds’ back then.

Have you seen what happened to them?” While Elina was trying to have me talk, we touched this subject.

I was still reluctant to talk to them, especially about the death of their comrades. I doubt they'd like to hear that I just watched them die.

"Well, I saw what was left of them..."

"You are lucky girl, when the demon hounds appeared in the vicinity, they attacked many. We barely fought them off." (E)

"They caused some havoc?"

"They surely did. We two were busy with another quest, and were supposed to join later. You, and the rest of the 'Rogues' took the initial onslaught. I saw a dead demon on our way. Nice job you did with a spear." Albert showed me thumb up. I decided not to mention that most of the job was done by the naginata and the hound...

"So, are the demon hounds dealt with?"

"We were not sitting idly, neither were the other adventurers." Elina proudly smiled.

"Adventurers?"

"Yes, we are the people who get paid for killing monsters, and doing errands such as escorting and exploration." (E)

"Wow." I was somewhat impressed. This typical cliché development was not too surprising, though.

"You know what, little fox? Why don't we stick together?" (E)

"I get where this is going. I will give it a thought."

"Great! Let's go!" Albert headed to the door but he stopped after noticing that I didn't move an inch.

"What's wrong?" (A)

"Are you sure you want to take me in? You have no idea who I am, or what I am capable of."

"Yes, little fox. We already talked about it, you showed yourself to be really stubborn and strong." (E)

[This is not too bad, I may get a good chance at having freedom of movement under the excuse of doing quests. But then I am also going to be tied to those two...]

While I was racking my brain on whether I should join them or not, I decided to check the 'details'.

Ding.’

You received 1 upgrade point, 1 silver coin, 1 B1M torpedo bombers group

I immediately understood that the point must be spent to increase the AV.

Now that I have a proper damage dealing aircraft I was capable of doing at least something. With 1% of the true power... 

The B1M torpedo bomber carries 1x 18 inch torpedo or 2x 240 kg bombs. Even 2.4 kg of explosives can deal a lot of damage. If they can hit something.

"You still don't like talking to us?" My thinking was interrupted by Elina's voice.

"Should I?"

"Well, we did nothing bad to you." (A)

"Yet."

"Seriously...?" Elina glanced at the bed, reminding me of the efforts she did to help me with the fever.

"Fine. You can call me Fuji."

"That's a funny name." Albert was amused. Good for him. One more reason to burn him…

'Whack'

"Mind your manners." Elina glared at him, and the next moment she was gently looking at me.

The woman squatted to the level of my eyes.

So, Fuji, will you join our party?” (E)

"No promises. I will give it a try but don't expect anything extraordinary."

Something tells me that I am about to do the main cliché of fantasy novels…


Yes, I am about to register as an adventurer.

Elina and Albert led me to a large three-story building. Its first floor was made of stone but the other two were wooden. Few of the town's buildings were stone, so nothing surprising.

When we entered I saw a spacious hall with some sort of a dining area near the entrance. Most of the people here were unshaved brutes, armed and armored. Some of them were eating, some were standing in queues near the back wall, and a bunch were standing near a board with lots of papers pinned to it.

My next step was obvious. I had to register, so I headed towards a queue in the back.

Suddenly, one of the eating guys stood up and blocked my way.

It was so expected that I almost wondered why it happened only now.

The bull-like guy was looking at me from above, and in his eyes was reflected my small body. Like a typical idiot, he was grinning at me, thinking that I am yet-another-newbee, who will be intimidated.

[What an idiot... Well, he is even armed with a halberd. The weapon of a true pro. My naginata will confirm.]

“Where are ya going, sweetie? Have ya lost ya parents? Come with uncle, I'll feed ya.” He was trying hard not to laugh at me. I only glanced at him with apathy.

“Tis place ain't for li'l gals.” While I was wondering how I should deal with this scripted encounter, a true nuisance appeared.

"Stop that, you pedophile!" What actually drove me crazy was not the stupid pile of muscles that blocked my way, but the imbecile guy who appeared between us.

I summoned the naginata, and prepared to take down both of the troublemakers in one go.

Elina patted my shoulder, and we went to the registry, leaving two idiots to bicker at each other. If things go well, they might even kill each other.

What do you require?” A clerk asked me with a bit of suspicion.

“I am here to register as an adventurer.”

Aren't you too yo…

I. Am. Here. To. Register.” My words were backed by the naginata and two foxfires, making my offer irresistible.

"Please, follow me..." The clerk had to accept, though he was clearly not convinced.


As I suspected, I was led to some sort of a training ground.

“Please, wait here. The instructor will arrive soon.” The clerk left me here, and returned to the building.

During a very long waiting, I was sorting out my munitions, the aircraft groups and their patrol schedules. Well, I am a carrier after all. Soon enough I will need to go outside.

When the instructor arrived I had to stop whatever I was doing and concentrate on him.

So, kid, you are the one who wants to join the guild?

“Yes, I am.”

Mage or warrior?

Want to find out?” I drew the naginata, polished to the point of its blade being like a mirror. I really had nothing to do while waiting.

The instructor looked at me with pity.

Don't say anything…” I am already angry with that ‘kid’ thing. Don't test your luck…

I charged at him, before he could prepare.

The instructor evaded the thrust of the naginata, and immediately kicked me in the belly, which threw me back.

He rushed at me, evaded the swing of the naginata, and was about to thrust his sword into my neck, but I was prepared.

[Nice try.]

Instead of backing away, or trying to stop him with the naginata's pole, I swung the weapon back at his legs. The back of the blade hit, and the attack made the instructor fall.

I immediately swung the naginata, and tried to cut him in half.

He deflected the blade with his sword, but the blade cut his arm.

"I guess you passed." The instructor pressed the wound on his arm, and nodded towards the building.

When I returned to the registry, the clerk handed me over a tag.

“Here is your tag. You've been assigned rank G. Do you need an explanation of the rules?

“No, the ‘Rogues’ will teach me.”

“I heard they lost two men. So they recruit the newbies?

Care to test how new I am?

A pleasure doing business with you.” The clerk stopped this conversation before I could do something bad.

22