V1 Rewrite. Ch 12. Tora-tora-tora!
585 1 22
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It took us almost an entire week to reach a forest.

Here we will have a little 'chat' with the goblins, and after we are done 'convincing' them to stop harrassing the local population, we will return and take another quest.

Such is the life of the adventurers.

“Fuji, what is the plan?” While we were still standing in the open, Elina asked me the most important question.

“First, I will send the air patrols. Second, torpedo bombers will be prepared to attacks from above.”

What do you want to do?” (A)

“I will attack the enemy before they can do anything. While they will be emerged into the chaos of combat, we will rush in and start killing them. You will be covering me from the flanks and I will be firing my weaponry.”

“We have no bows to attack from a distance.” (E)

"But I do have guns."

Ratatata-Bang-Bang

That should be enough?” Alberts was quite skeptical about my performance, not that I think differently.

That should be sufficient.” I said that before my voice was suppressed by a humming sound of 4 aircraft.

[Operation begins.]


When the fighters left the flight deck, we headed out.

Elina and Albert were glancing at me from time to time. Or, rather, on the flight deck that was on me.

It took a lot of time to lift the torpedo bombers and fighters to the flight deck, and park them away from the angled part of the deck to let the scouts land.

While we are on our way, I will arm and fuel the airstrike. Or at least the assigned aircraft which I managed to fit on the tiny appendix off the dangerous zone.

[That is the effective use of time.]

Overall, I was prepared for attacking. However, the goblins' lair was still not found, and they could be anywhere.

Because they could be anywhere, we had to be stealthy. And for that reason I had to have the aircraft shut down their engines. Not only they would need a lot of time to simply taxi to the stern, they will also need to start the engines and take off. At the very least it will take 10 minutes. Still, that 'Rapid deployment' skill may prove useful in such case.

Meanwhile, about our combat formation. Elina guards my left flank, and is supported by one of the rifles. Albert is on my right side, he would be assisted by two remaining rifles. The machine gun will be firing in front of me. I decided to maintain this formation even when we'll arrive. The aircraft will be my main offensive power, until we get the direct line of sight.


It took us a few hours and sorties to locate the goblin village.

When the scouts returned, landed, and were re-equipped, the master plan's execution was started.

“Time to make some noise.”

Elina and Albert stepped away from me, and watching in amazement how the little propellers were spinning up.

When I only began to accumulate my air power, I only had 4 fighters. Now I prepare to sortie 20 torpedo bombers and the fighter escort. I still don't have enough firepower for a carpet bombing but for now this much should be enough.

'VROOOOOOO'

The entire forest vibrated together with the roar of the engines.

The tiny pitiful biplanes were still a marvel of engineering, each capable of causing destruction at a large scale. Now was the time to learn how to operate large air group.

I swung my right arm and shouted: “Take off!”.

With the thundering sound of full-throttled aircraft engines, my bombers squadron begun taking off.

Pairs of aircraft were clearing the flight deck, and assembling above.

'VROOOOOM'

When the last group took off, the aircraft set course towards the village.

A tight formation of torpedo bombers was covered by flights of fighters that flew slightly higher to dive on any kind of offenders.

From the perspective of the leading aircraft I was looking at the forest. In a little clearing I recognized the supposed goblins' wooden shelters. Each group picked their target and each flight's leader plotted their course.

Even after the aircraft showed up near the village, the goblins didn't pay much attention. There were no panicking goblins running around, and no arrows or magic shot at my planes.

[Tora-tora-tora!]

At the universal Japanese attack signal for aircraft, the formation broke off and the flights started executing the attack.

My aircraft entered a slight dive, and its group prepared to follow the attack.

Each aircraft will drop its bombs with a delay to have an opportunity to change the target, if the prior pilot destroyed it.


Boom

Sounds of the explosions started reaching our ears from nearby. After the airstrike was sent, we continued moving, and were minutes away from the goblin village.

What happened?” (A)

“The attack has started.”

Then… why are we still here?” (A)

Just to suffer?”

“…” (E and A)

“The bombs should be dropped before we arrive, otherwise you will get caught in a blast. As you can hear, the goblins are having hard time. There is no much pleasure in being blown apart.

[Why are you guys getting so scared? It's fine, even my unarmored deck can survive a couple of such hits.]

‘Boom’

Boom’ ‘Boom

I checked the situation.

The aircraft regrouped after the bombing, and after everyone dropped the payload, the flights returned to the base (me).

While the first flight of torpedo bombers was preparing for landing, and the first aircraft was gliding towards the deck, I started loading the guns.

‘Vrooooo-TSHHH

When an aircraft grabbed an arresting wire and landed, both Elina and Albert jumped aside and covered their heads.

WHAT HAPPENED?!” (E)

“Just another happy landing. Never mind that.”

Okay…?” (A)

‘Vrooooo-TSHHH

The shrieking sound of the arresting wires and aircrafts' frames enduring the loads was causing the poor adventurers to cover their ears and tremble.

Looking at them was so fun, that I didn't even notice how one of the planes broke its gear on landing.


Even though I successfully reached the pace where 30s after each landing another plane begins descending, this accident caused a long stop in landings.

After this unexpected problem, we had a lot of time to get closer to the goblin village.

When the last fighter touched down, we had to just walk a hundred meters.

'VROOOOOM'

I sent out a flight to search for any survivors.

As we stepped out of the forest, we all saw the carnage that happened. The entire village was turned into a moon surface, filled with craters and debris.

In this debris were hiding the surviving goblins.

Ratatatata

All that is left for us to do is to clean up.

22