V1 Rewrite. Ch 24. The consequences of negligence
488 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Yay, another out-of-nowhere unsolvable formatting error!

After we crossed yet another forest, we entered a small plain with a hill. I was going to use the hill as a staging point to scout the area and the next forest we are going to be passing through.
Even without the need for scouting operations, the hill would be a nice safe spot for tonight's camp.
Initially I was going to reach the hill by the evening, but since we now have 8 more hands and legs, we made it to the hill by the noon, and since there was an opportunity to move even further, I decided it was worth a shot.
Not only we did pass the hill, we even approached the edge of the forest and set up a camp there.
Overall it would've been just a change of scenery, if not for the fact that my aircraft discovered a settlement deeper in the forest.
From above the settlement looked clearly larger than what I encountered until now, and the way it looks did not resemble the crude settlements of the goblins. But it barely resembled the human settlements too. If it was too far from looking like a human settlement, I'd bomb it into oblivion without asking a question, but since I can't clearly tell who lives there, I had to be cautious.
I didn't think that this settlement would pose a direct threat, at least not a threat that would make us fall back all the way to the hill, so we set up our camp at the edge of the forest.


Soon I had to abandon the scouting operation near the settlement, since with the nightfall the aircraft lose their visibility, and the visibility of the carrier. I didn't want to lose aircraft due to accidents, so I stopped the recon altogether.
I realized that it was a grave mistake only after I heard aircraft flying above. I immediately checked what was going on, and found out that they were spawned by the 'Rapid deployment' skill.
It meant only one thing - a fight is inevitable.
AWOOOOO!
When I saw a movement nearby, I ordered bombers to attack. Two bombers made a half-barrel roll and steeply dived there. Both 250 kg bombs exploded near the targets. I immediately heard dinging but for now I dismissed the notifications.
Because I didn't prepare beforehand, I needed at least 5 minutes to prepare the planes for take-off.
Hold them back while I prepare.” I shouted to the woken up adventurers.
No problem, you still have some machines in the air. We will hold back the attackers.” (A)
It was clear that those two wouldn't handle the attackers by themselves, and the maids were unarmed.
I sent in the aircraft. The fighters were trying to rain down some fire, but they are much less dangerous than a proper CAS.
After the aircraft pulled up, two objects rushed out of the forest and attacked the ‘Rogues’.
Watch out! Werewolves!” (E)
Better watch out for this!” I shot a barrage of foxfires, none hit the enemies but the resulting confusion gave my companions some time to prepare.
Elina's swordsmanship allowed her to quickly take down her opponent by slitting his throat, while Albert was unlucky and got himself an elite opponent. At least in the sense that his werewolf was smart enough not to rush mindlessly.
Together with Elina, Albert managed to block the werewolf's path to me, and it gave me enough time to start launching the aircraft.


Those two werewolves may've been just scouts, or they were the only lucky survivors of my initial airstrike. It didn't actually matter now that I started deploying the aircraft to the flight deck.
I started with the fighters, as they only needed light armament, and could be sent while the heavier payloads of the torpedo bombers and the dive bombers was being attached.
While the aircraft were still on the elevators and were taxiing, the werewolves were needed to be stalled.
You, take whatever you can and help them.” I ordered my maids to join the fight. Soon more monsters will come and I was holding back my reserves, but considering how bad it goes on the 'Rogues' ' side I will have to risk my plans.
The maids have attracted the attention of the beast and that allowed the ‘Rogues’ to go offensive. Even that was not enough to kill the elite werewolf.
[The werewolves are much stronger than what I expected, I will have to test one of them after we are done.]
Meanwhile, the first planes started taking off. I still needed some time before they will regroup and set on course.
Fuji, we need your help!” (A)
Just a couple of minutes!
The first groups of fighters started their attack, and surprised the second werewolf enough to give Albert an opening to exploit.
The fighters were sent to gun down anything that tries to step out of the forest, and under their cover the true firepower lined up at the catapults.
When a new wave of the werewolves charged out of the forest, the torpedo bombers sortied. I aimed them to bomb what was in the forest, while the fighters would assist Elina and Albert with those who get away.
All 9 groups of B3Y torpedo bombers formed up above the battlefield and set course towards the incoming werewolves. Each B3Y carries 500 kg of bombs, which even with my incomplete upgrades counts as 9 t of bombs. That will make sure the enemy reinforcements will never arrive.
After I sent my last flight I was able to join the fight. In the process I had to forbid the aircraft to land for rearmament while I'm in melee.
At that moment I had a feeling that I forgot something important.
[Fuji, you are a complete idiot.]
BANG
Bang-Bang
I finally remembered that I have guns.
I quickly corrected the flights' behavior, and the reorganized battle started yielding the bloody harvest. The aircraft were devastating the forest and the flat area between it and us, while I was firing at what was already out of the planes' reach, and yet to reach Elina and Albert.
My upgrades proved effective and soon the incoming waves were on the brink of obliteration. Under constant aerial bombardment, and strafing from the planes which already dropped their bombs, the werewolves were soon forced to retreat.
Only then I could land the planes and rearm. Previously I was not expecting the attack and we almost regretted that.
It is a miracle that nobody was injured.
15