V4. Ch 29. Amateur pathfinding
95 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Trees to our front, to our back, and on both sides. Just like I love it.” Lusa jumped off a broken tree, which was looking like a column after its top was hit by something.

“The magic trail is so bright, that I wonder if that guy even bothered with hiding it. You’re sure you’re chasing ‘im?” The elf girl continued hopping from one tree to another, like a monkey.

“He is not exactly aware of us chasing after.”

But weren’t you lot sayin’ otherwise?” Lusa jumped off and jogged around us back and forth.

“I just thought, since you are going to stick with us for a while, then I better not keep you in the dark.”

“Well thanks, Boss. Don’t ya worry, I ain’t going anywhere, since everything’s better than listening to the old geezers’ whining how I am not following the clan’s ways.” She grinned, and ran ahead of us.

I could only sigh, and look at the abandoned footpath in the middle of wilderness.

I really hope this monkey is as capable as they say.” Elina gazed at the disappearing figure of the elf.

“At least ‘any’ elf should suffice for us.”

And afterwards?” (E)

“Come on, we have a pretty balanced party setup.”

Really?” (E)

“Yeah. A hero, a melee, a priest, a mage, and a ranger. Perfect party.”

Elina only grunted and hurried her steps.

With how things were going, I could’ve said that we are doing remarkably well: at least we were on the way to fetch the first item.


Or so I thought, until I saw Lusa running back to us.

“There is a bridge ahead. And it is guarded by goblins.” (L)

And so what?

Just saying.” Usually I wouldn’t even consider goblins a threat, but Lusa returned with several scratches here and there.

You fought them?

“Yep. Got some beatin’ too. No idea what’s up with ‘em, but they got a nasty orc there too.” (L)

You couldn’t say that from the start…?” I facepalmed.

“I think I can hit them from here.” Bretagne happily deployed her gear.

NOT A SINGLE CHANCE.

I rushed in front of her.

-1 Bond

Sœur! Are we going to stand here forever? We are wasting time for nothing!” (B)

Indeed we do, Bretagne! Instead of going there, we have to stay until you calm down. If you fire near a bridge, there is a huge chance it will collapse. Where there is a bridge, there is a reason for it to be built.”

Eh…? He-he… I… I understand…” Bretagne gulped, and despawned the guns.

+5 Bond

“Let’s go already. To arms, ladies!” I drew the rapier, and marched forth.


Our march ended in front of the bridge, where several dozens of goblins were standing guard. On the other side of the bridge was an entrance into a mountain, with just a little space separating them.

Lusa… Are you sure we need to go through there…?

“Yes. The mana trail is coming out of the cave.” (L)

Wonderful…” I gazed at the goblins on the other side, and after some scanning I found an orc by the cave entrance.

“Elina, let’s do it just like the old times.”

“You trip, I clean up?” (E)

How funny. We need to get to the other side before they do anything to the bridge. FORWARD!” I charged to the bridge.

Immediately after they noticed us, the goblins bunched up together in front of it, blocking the way. It would’ve been great, but before I could blow them away like bowling pins, the goblins spread to the sides, becoming a threat to the squishy humans behind me.

Take this!” I tried to swipe them on the way but failed to hit anyone, making us stop and fight.

Elina took the usual place to my side, guarding my usually forgotten-to-be-protected flanks, and Kasumi was… well, just a souvenir behind.

With Bretagne subconsciously taking place on the other side of me, we recreated the full-melee shield formation that is used to guard mages.

Or, in our case, the priest and the archer.

So’na takhe!” Lusa shouted, and the next moment an arrow flashed past me.

FWOOSH

When it hit a goblin, the monster was thrown back by the force.

Keep your heads down when I’m shootin’!” (L)

Of co…!

So’na takhe!” This time we followed her advice, and the arrow whizzed above Elina’s head, taking down another goblin.

The four of us quickly cleared all goblins on this side of the bridge, but on the other side of the canyon I saw that the goblins lined up and were ready to start shooting arrows at us the moment we step on the bridge.

“Looks like they are out of range.”

“But not me!” Lusa shot an arrow, and it fell on the other side. Together with a goblin.

That bow is quite strong.

“Thanks~. It was worth skipping all tracking lessons for making it~.” Lusa grinned, and shot another arrow, killing another goblin.

“Let me have a try.”

“Sure.” She gave me the bow.

I pulled the string, and clearly felt that this thing was too strong for a girl of Lusa’s size and constitution.

FWOOSH

Damn.

“Practice makes perfection.” She giggled, taking back the bow.


The enemies were already forced to reconsider their plan, and even the orc started moving closer to the bridge.

“I leave the ranged combat to you. GIRLS, CHARGE!” I led the melee force across the bridge.

Some goblins tried to return to the positions for archery, but those who did quickly regretted it.

We safely crossed the bridge, and started the slaughter.

The wingwomen chopped the pests, while I was making my way towards the orc.

I was about to start doing nasty things to it, but then the orc’s hands glowed red, and a fireball flew at me.

WHAT THE HELL?!

FWOO

Fire reported on the deck, fore batteries, starboard secondary batteries

YOU’VE GOT TO BE KIDDING?!” I shrieked, when the orc’s hands started glowing again.

It was spamming fireballs at me, even though I never ever met a mob monster with such abilities.

[JUST HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS, YOU FREAK?!]

You never thought it may have an artifact with it?” Akagi-sama meowed into my ear.

Ah?!

I used appraisal.

Orc Warboss – Nameless

A subspecies of orc, that is created when…

Status: …

Equipment: …

Amulet of Master Mage – Allows to cast Intermediate magic even if user is not a mage. (For monsters) Allows free use of Intermediate magic.

[You’ve got to be kidding me…?]

FWOO

“Dear goddess, where the hell did that thing get it?!

“In the dungeon ahead, isn’t it obvious?” The loli floated by my side, clearly not even bothering with helping me in the fight.

“This generous Akagi-sama offers her full moral support, be grateful for what you have.” (A)

I had to continue to constantly evade the spam of fireballs that flew at me every few seconds, all while killing the goblins, making sure Elina is not going to be caught in a blast, and trying to think of a way to take down the orc.

It took me some time to decide to use the main guns. Only because that guy over there…

FWOO

got me too mad to let him off with just a 20-40mm bullet holes in him.

An entire minute of dancing around later, one 600kg shell was ready to be sent to its addressee.

FWOO

KISS THIS, YOU FREAK!

BOOM

Before the orc could even question what happened, its upper half was blown away by the armor piercing shell, splattering the orc all the way from where it stood to the mountain in the back.

Ah~, I feel so much better~.

Bom

Even when a stupid green pest hit my back with a club, it couldn’t do anything to my good mood.

Bum

Ah~.

Orleans, can you be standing and doing nothing a bit later?!” Only mommy Elina’s call made me return to slaughtering the pesky little pests.


After the glorious slaughter was over, the rest of the party crossed the canyon and stood in front of the dungeon entrance.

“That was a great job killing that orc~!” Lusa showed her palm to give me a high five.

“I think you could’ve done the same.” I praised her, for I was truly impressed by her skill.

Nah, that monstro almost turned me into a roast with its magic.” Lusa started humbling herself.

Wait… YOU KNEW IT COULD USE MAGIC AND DIDN’T TELL IT?!

Ah? S-sorry, I kinda forgot~!” She lightly knocked her head.

(#-_-)

“That is one thing, but man, never have I heard of artifacts that could make somebody use magic.” (E)

“Well, dungeons are said to contain a load of loot, including high-grade equipment, potions, resources…” I subtly advertised the dungeons to her.

Great~. I always wanted to get some free equipment, without having to pay for it~.” Elina’s adventurer mettle woke, and she flared with newly found desire for adventuring.

What a pity~.” Said the goddess.

While creating a tiny blue flame in her palm…

Always watch where you step, cause some 'bright' people could've forgotten to warn about holes where you can fall into.

1