V4. Ch 30. At the arm’s length
56 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We walked through the cave, which was supposed to be a dungeon.

Even though we were underground, the surroundings were lit enough to see the way forward, all thanks to the fizzling lava below. Again, the wonderful goddess overkilled it.

Not only did you burn everything down, you also destroyed all loot.” I looked at the molten slag lying in a small pile.

As it was explained, all loot in a dungeon is being created through absorbing the life essence of the adventurers who die in the dungeon. And it won’t be respawned like the monsters…

Though it was but a part of the problem.

Sœur…! It hurts… It hurts so much…!” (B)

Bear with it, my dear… Just bear with it…” The squishy soft humans (and elf) were being protected by a magic shield that absorbed the heat of the cooling lava, while me and Bretagne were… ‘But you can just walk, so why should I bother with covering you?’.

“But isn’t it working out well~?” The loli kitsune chuckled.

“I wonder how much HP you lose from walking on lava.”

“None? Do not underestimate the gods’ vitality. There is absolutely no way anything in this world can damage me.” (A)

Good to know…

Since we were not exploring the dungeon and were only going through the shortest route to the other side of the mountain, we stepped outside before the mobs started respawning.

We breathed in the ashes of nature, and continued forth, through the scorched wilderness…

At this point I don’t even want to know why Kasumi and I are here…” (E)

I patted Elina’s back.

We never did anything useful, so why are we even needed? I am not being used neither for my combat skills, nor for my hunting experience…! I am here to just carry the luggage!” I continued patting her as we walked.

I can only guess that I am here only because I keep Kasumi entertained! No matter how well we get along, is that not too wasteful to keep me around?!” (E)

“But you also lift my spirits, isn’t it wonderful?”

You, stay silent.” (E)

“Yes, ma’am.”

“…” (E)

“…?

“I thought you’d say ‘yes mom’.” After hearing this, I started laughing.

Ha-ha-ha-ha! Now that is something I never expected to hear from you!”

“You underestimated me then.” Elina made a smug expression, and hurried her steps.

Why are you running~? Is somebody getting embarrassed~?

Suddenly, Elina stopped in place and raised her fist.

Listen.’ (E)

I don’t hear anything.’

Just forest?’ Lusa didn’t hear anything either.

I swear I heard something.’ (E)

Lusa, go with her. I trust you, Mom.’ Without even a shade of blush, Elina looked at me and nodded.

The girls swiftly moved forward, disappearing in the dense vegetation.


A minute later I led the others to continue going.

We followed Elina’s footsteps as good as we could, but we were not catching up to them.

Help!’ I heard an echo of a scream.

Let’s go!

In this forest there was supposed to be only one source of it, and I concluded that nothing good was happening.

After running for a few hundred meters, we ran out to a small clearing, where I saw Elina and Lusa fighting against several humanoids.

The girls were managing relatively well, but there was only one enemy killed.

Lusa, fall behind us!” I almost dragged Bretagne by her collar, quickly getting in between the fleeing elf and the humanoids.

When I engaged the first humanoid, I saw that it was an automata.

Just wonderful! HEY, NOW THIS IS PERSONAL, BESTOWER!

“Kill. Heathens.” The machine answered emotionless.

PING

I hit it right in the chest, but the rapier stroke and sled off it without any damage.

HIT THE JOINTS!” Elina shouted, striking at an enemy’s armpit.

Ping-Ping

You nimble piece of junk!” Of course, the machine was not keen on letting my weapon connect.

Ugh…!” Elina was getting pushed back, distracting me from my opponent.

Ping

“Kill.”

GET OFF ME, YOU JUNK!

From a side, my fight looked like a raging bull versus a matador. With me being the former.

The automata’s agility was outstanding. I couldn’t even hit anything but the armored parts which the doll intentionally put out against me.

Argh…!” As the time went on, Elina was losing both her footing and her strength, while Bretagne and I were being toyed with, and Lusa could only helplessly watch, unable to shoot at anything.

G-God…!” Suddenly, Elina’s sword cracked under another hit, and she was left completely open to her opponent, which immediately proceeded with swinging to finish her.

AS IF I WOULD LET YOU!” I unceremoniously hit my opponent with a bare fist, right in its chest that it confidently presented me.

BOM

The doll was hit with my fool force, sending it flying right into its fellow.

CRASH

The automatons were hit with such strength, that they both were broken. Elina stared at me in astonishment.

THANK ME LATER!” I threw her the rapier and switched to ‘Martial arts’ mod, breaking through all cultivation stages right to martial arts godhood.

+1 Bond

“Hey, my dear Bretagne! Need some help?” I rushed to the sistership’s side.

She fought against two dolls, and did so relatively well. Those bastards are agile, but she is armored, hence the stalemate. And since with time the automatas’ numbers decrease, any stalling is our victory.

ONE PUNCH SHIP!

My fist of fury hit air, and so did the next one. The dastardly machines quickly got it that fighting us face to face is a stupid thing.


Finally, they turned around and started running.

Yeees~!” I creepily laughed, rubbing my hands in anticipation.

Lu-sa~! Chase!” For a second the elf girl froze, taken aback by my behavior, but after her brain cogs processed everything, she smiled back at me and rushed after the silly machines.

We followed the monkey-elf at our full speed, and by the evening we reached her at the edge of the forest.

From there we could see another city, full of machines.

1